2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

KetilOwren88

I don't think he was he just had key moments of class within games. We were getting dominated after the first 20-30mins of every game at the start of last sesson. His good moments came within those periods and we basically sat back and struggled to put passes together after.

Its only when Casemiro started playing games from the start that things changed. Our best form of the sesson came with Eriksen out IMO. He did contribute positively to us last sesson and made a difference but I often thought his early form was exaggerated. Going forward he just doesn't have the physicality or speed to play our style or against teams taking the game to us.
I don’t agree. He struggled after 60 minutes in his first 8-10 games, but that improved until he got his injury. Never been the same since though. The flow and rhytm in our game was better with him in the team, and when he went out with his injury, we changed to a more counter attacking approach. Obviously he was a weak spot defensively throughout the season, but we could live with it because we kept the ball better. I wasn’t only about moments. He had many good games, and he was one of Ten Hag’s most trusted players for a reason.

Atom67

Don’t understand all the bashing here. I think he had a good game. Tried a lot of smart passes but not all came off. The one for Rashford was a big chance though. If only he had controlled it better. I agree that his physical game is not great, but that’s just not his attribute and I think Erik knows that.

lex talionis

The classic CAF excuse. Just like Possebon would've been a world-beater if not Pogatetz made a tackle.
So, just an amazing coincidence? Or maybe Eriksen was actually shite before Andy Caroll got done with him. An astuture observation, Sherlock.

Mickson

So, just an amazing coincidence? Or maybe Eriksen was actually shite before Andy Caroll got done with him. An astuture observation, Sherlock.
His legs are gone, whether he got a tackle or not. Kevin de Bruyne is injured half the time and is still class, guess why?

redcucumber

The injury probably didn't help but it's not the sole reason why Eriksen isn't up to snuff (as a regular starter). He doesn't have the physicality to be a CM for United. Ridiculously handy squaddie, though. The sort of player Man City typically have on their bench to change a game.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The injury probably didn't help but it's not the sole reason why Eriksen isn't up to snuff (as a regular starter). He doesn't have the physicality to be a CM for United. Ridiculously handy squaddie, though. The sort of player Man City typically have on their bench to change a game.
Yeah, whilst he's pretty good on the ball, he's an absolute non-entity off it. He jogs around a lot and he'll cover a lot of distance, but he's so damn easy to get past. I'm pretty sure he was bottom 2 percentile in tackles and like bottom 10th in dribblers tackled and prevented.

Abraxas

He's in the twilight of his career, at least at this level. That's quite obvious. It happens to them all, they lose their legs in midfield. I'm expecting a Matic like role where be can occasionally show up and ping some nice passes and everyone will call for more of him but essentially he needs protecting and using wisely.

But it's also exactly why we bought Mount as I think every man and his dog could see that last season. The manager obviously noticed it but didn't feel he had a better choice.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Got to ask, what does his "Legs are gone" even mean?

He was never particularly fast, nor did his game rely on speed of his run, he was never really box to box either. His strengths relied on the fact that he had great vision and picked up pockets of space and has a great passing ability, I think it's more that he didn't come back from the last injury well and it's early in pre season right now, he doesn't suit physical games in a deeper role but think he can play a good role setting the tempo against the smaller teams and stop us drawing with his creation ability.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

He was never particularly fast, nor did his game rely on speed of his run, he was never really box to box either. His strengths relied on the fact that he had great vision and picked up pockets of space and has a great passing ability, I think it's more that he didn't come back from the last injury well and it's early in pre season right now, he doesn't suit physical games in a deeper role but think he can play a good role setting the tempo against the smaller teams and stop us drawing with his creation ability.
He has obviously declined physically. The more advanced roles, either in central or wide positions, he used to have at Spurs before his incident are simply out of the question now. And i believe ETH was right to see that he should get a more peripheral role next season instead of being at the heart of everything.

But, in general, you are correct in your assessment of him. I would add that, besides Bruno, he's our best option to find a pass in-behind. And he can do it, by picking the right pockets of space, in a deeper role. Which can still be an invaluable asset to a team whose attackers thrive on receiving the ball into space, facing the goal.

I also think that he is, in a way, being scapegoated. Given the nature of our tactical setup, with a lot of players in the attacking third and our man-to-man oriented high-pressing, we are always going to leave spaces open. It's an inherent weakness in ETH’s system, one that he's still working on. It used to happen at Ajax, too, it's nothing new. You just work until the quality of the plan overcomes its weaknesses. At least, that's the main idea.

In this sense, ETH didn't stick with Eriksen last season because he was blind to his weaknesses. The discussions about the more conservative approach and the worries about the physicality of the PL on this forum go way back. People used to lose their minds whenever Fergie deployed Carrick and one of Scholes/Giggs in the midfield. And it's true that we gave away chances to the opposition on numerous occasions. What Sir Alex understood was that Carrick, no matter how great a holding midfielder he was, could not carry the burden of passing the ball through the lines on his own. He needed that more progressive passer next to him. It was the same with Casemiro. He can do the job, but if he gets marked out of the game in the build-up, you're in more trouble than you think with the #10s and the wingers dropping deeper to help and playing right into the opposition's hands. Then, it takes one misplaced pass for everything to go to hell.

Anyway, Eriksen has my respect. I'll always have time for players of his ilk. Not just technically sound, but also a player with a great "feel" of the game. It's something that, for example, Pogba, despite his tremendous skills on the ball and his incredible physique, never had. Thus, the endless discussions about who should we put next to him to "unlock" him.

Last edited:

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
He has obviously declined physically. The more advanced roles, either in central or wide positions, he used to have at Spurs before his incident are simply out of the question now. And i believe ETH was right to see that he should get a more peripheral role next season instead of being at the heart of everything.

But, in general, you are correct in your assessment of him. I would add that, besides Bruno, he's our best option to find a pass in-behind. And he can do it, by picking the right pockets of space, in a deeper role. Which can still be an invaluable asset to a team whose attackers thrive on receiving the ball into space, facing the goal.

I also think that he is, in a way, being scapegoated. Given the nature of our tactical setup, with a lot of players in the attacking third and our man-to-man oriented high-pressing, we are always going to leave spaces open. It's an inherent weakness in ETH’s system, one that he's still working on. It used to happen at Ajax, too, it's nothing new. You just work until the quality of the plan overcomes its weaknesses. At least, that's the main idea.

In this sense, ETH didn't stick with Eriksen last season because he was blind to his weaknesses. The discussions about the more conservative approach and the worries about the physicality of the PL on this forum go way back. People used to lose their minds whenever Fergie deployed Carrick and one of Scholes/Giggs in the midfield. And it's true that we gave away chances to the opposition on numerous occasions. What Sir Alex understood was that Carrick, no matter how great a holding midfielder he was, could not carry the burden of passing the ball through the lines on his own. He needed that more progressive passer next to him. It was the same for Casemiro. He can do the job, but if he gets marked out of the game in the build-up, you're in more trouble than you think with the #10s and the wingers dropping deeper to help and playing right into the opposition's hands. Then, it takes one misplaced pass for everything to go to hell.

Anyway, Eriksen has my respect. I'll always have time for players of his ilk. Not just technically sound, but also a player with a great "feel" of the game. It's something that, for example, Pogba, despite his tremendous skills on the ball and his incredible physique, never had. Thus, the endless discussions about who should we put next to him to "unlock" him.
Completely agree and was one of the main reasons he wanted Mount I think which isn't the player I would have gone for but I can see his reasons.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I don't think he was he just had key moments of class within games. We were getting dominated after the first 20-30mins of every game at the start of last sesson. His good moments came within those periods and we basically sat back and struggled to put passes together after.

Its only when Casemiro started playing games from the start that things changed. Our best form of the sesson came with Eriksen out IMO. He did contribute positively to us last sesson and made a difference but I often thought his early form was exaggerated. Going forward he just doesn't have the physicality or speed to play our style or against teams taking the game to us.
Ouch, I'm surprised you have not been eaten alive suggesting that. But you're right, we peaked when Eriksen was out and we were mostly playing very balanced (even if less talented) midfield Casemiro - Fred - Bruno. That's not taking anything from Christian - it's just he put us massively off balance. I am actually quite surprised ETH was so adamant on playing this setup whenever possible.

Similar to Mata (who was one of the weakest attacking players out there), his physicality was never a strength but not that much of an issue, but the decline for those players comes fast. It's just he can play on highest level and then suddenly it looks like he's 5 years older. This decline isn't significant compared to what he used to be, but he just can't match EPL physicality. With that in mind I think he did exceptionally well last season in the CM role.

In this sense, ETH didn't stick with Eriksen last season because he was blind to his weaknesses. The discussions about the more conservative approach and the worries about the physicality of the PL on this forum go way back. People used to lose their minds whenever Fergie deployed Carrick and one of Scholes/Giggs in the midfield. And it's true that we gave away chances to the opposition on numerous occasions. What Sir Alex understood was that Carrick, no matter how great a holding midfielder he was, could not carry the burden of passing the ball through the lines on his own. He needed that more progressive passer next to him. It was the same with Casemiro. He can do the job, but if he gets marked out of the game in the build-up, you're in more trouble than you think with the #10s and the wingers dropping deeper to help and playing right into the opposition's hands. Then, it takes one misplaced pass for everything to go to hell.

He's not being scapegoatet, it's clear to everyone Ten Hag loves Eriksen in CM role and was willing to ignore all his weaknesses because of what he brings on the ball. Fair enough, we had reasonable success with this approach (although I would argue we had the best period when Eriksen was out, and our away games approach was very optimistic despite shite results). It's very easy to see Eriksen's quality but also glaring weaknesses that were obvious when we signed him.

lex talionis

His legs are gone, whether he got a tackle or not. Kevin de Bruyne is injured half the time and is still class, guess why?
It's really not that simple. Eriksen is only 31, an age when a lot of footballers are still going strong. Maybe he is worn down, but it is no coincidence that he has not regained fitness since returning from a pretty serious injury requiring that he be completely out of action for three months.

Another way to look at this is that Eriksen was in outstanding form immediately prior to the injury. He didn't suddenly become old the day he suffered an injury that sidelined him for three months.

jesperjaap

Completely agree. I dont agree with this "since the injury" argument. Yes he regressed after it, but he was lacking defensively so often long before then. But shiny new signing, with godo technique, that part was ignored. Also the "he is only 31" fitness and nutriotion etc etc may have improved, but these top players in there mid thirties are still rare, lots of players have dropped hugely not long after 30.

Personally and this isnt bashing, always thought he has been a bit overhyped in the premiership at SPurs, his time at Inter and very much his contribution here. He is a great pro, good vision, very good technically, but for me the whole season he hasnt been great if you take away the stats here. It isnt just his legs, his speed of thought and reactions have been just that bit slower than even his time at Brentford, he has got caught in tight spaces a lot.

I only really think he has a role to play this season when we are dominating games or they are already won. Really dont think he goes on here at least beyong this season and I think regardless of us making another cm signing or not, his role will be really limited long before Xmas, he wont be starting games by then bar injuries

jasveron

Thought he played well today.
I know it's not popular opinion, but I really fancy him in our midfield on his good days. Like today, I think his presense contributed to the more composed midfield performance in the first half (compared to the 2nd).

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He was definitely much better than in his last game. Dortmund didn't seem to make it too hard for our midfield, but an argument could be had that our midfield doing well is what forced Dortmund to struggle. Chicken or egg situation.

Like I said after his last game, it'll take a few months before we know whether he'll be a good squad option or if he's physically finished like it sometimes appeared after his injury last season.

Zico1982

It all comes down to a question of form, and this is pre-season, which is not giving a precise picture of what will be when things get serious. Eriksen back to form will still be a starter against most teams. Eriksen as of right now is nothing more than a bench option. I think it will end up being a rotation thing though with Bruno playing as much as possible and Casemiro/Mount/Eriksen splitting time with a 6, possibly Amrabat. And that would be a good thing. The arrival of Höjlund is also a factor that will suit Eriksens game. Part of the "Eriksen-Problem" in midfield was the lack of runs from our forwards. He had little progressive passing options. With Rashford, Höjlund, Bruno and possibly Garnacho as well in front of him, there will be runs galore, and this is where he shines. I think, that many people in here underestimates the speed of our new number 9. Rasmus Höjlund is not the finished product, but he is the fastest forward in the PL and he loves to run in between the defenders. Eriksens deep passing will be a major weapon.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah he was the best of the midfield group, 1st half or 2nd. There's the concern he might be cooked, but last night's game calms that concern a bit so that's good. He'll be a useful squad player it'll just be important to be smart about who he plays against and limiting his minutes.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Player plays better after getting more pre season minutes. Shock horror

Pronewbie

Peep
Thought he played well today.
I know it's not popular opinion, but I really fancy him in our midfield on his good days. Like today, I think his presense contributed to the more composed midfield performance in the first half (compared to the 2nd).
I have him ahead of Mount for now. Our midfield is more balanced that way. Bruno can be the energy bunny and Casemiro the defensive steel. What our midfield needs is control. He's still the best at that.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Lacks physicality and pace to start in the PL week in week out, but it’s a pleasure to watch how well he crosses the ball with his ”weaker” foot.

AndySmith1990

Thank feck we signed Mount is all I can say. Think Eriksen will still be useful, but more so against weak teams who sit back or as a late sub

OverratedOpinion

I keep forgetting he plays for us.

I do reckon he might do well next season, not having to play as frequently and just being able to add sprinklings of quality here and there.

RuudTom83

I worry he might not be the best player to come on when he hasn't had a run of games...he's not really the impact sub type of player.

But I hope I'm wrong.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I worry he might not be the best player to come on when he hasn't had a run of games...he's not really the impact sub type of player.

But I hope I'm wrong.
Exactly why I was suggesting late last season to think twice before selling Fred for peanuts.

Abraxas

Exactly why I was suggesting late last season to think twice before selling Fred for peanuts.
Agreed, the state of Eriksen is worrying. At the moment I'm struggling to work out why he should be a better option than Fred. Fred put in some really good performances last year. I feel more confident about him than Eriksen who is starting to really look his age. Has been for the last half a season in truth.

Prodigy24

Just hasn't been the same since that injury last season. Still think that he will do well as an option from the bench but yeah, I agree with the posters about the potential sale of Fred.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
I would imagine he’d be an astonishingly good, veteran option to put in against teams parking the bus with dreams of nil-nil draws.

Leonzo1

Not worried about him at all. He's a great option to have as a bench option or the occasional starter when someone needs a rest. Absolute quality of a player just a shame he isnt as mobile as he was. Him being a nailed on starter last season was due to Terrible squad planning.

edgecutter

He'll still be an assest as a sub. We all know that he struggles to play longer than 60mins.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
I keep forgetting he plays for us.

I do reckon he might do well next season, not having to play as frequently and just being able to add sprinklings of quality here and there.
I would imagine he’d be an astonishingly good, veteran option to put in against teams parking the bus with dreams of nil-nil draws.
Yeah agree with that, I hope that’s the role next season.

NoPace

Also if Bruno ever actually misses games then Eriksen as a #10 for 55 minutes is probably our plan B unless we do sign Amrabat and he looks comfortable playing with Casemiro. Eriksen is a luxury player now but he should still have the quality to do that pretty well. But yeah, coming on against teams parking the bus after 75 minutes of Mount running around seems like something I think we'll see a lot of when we're drawing at that stretch and looking a bit devoid of creativity.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Watching Eriksen and Casemiro in pre-season, I actually think it's remarkable that we limped our way to the finish line with them in midfield playing every few days last season.