Chido Obi Martin

u18s was always going to be too easy for him this season. And yes if we need a goal itd be nice to have him on the first team bench as we dont have a striker scoring goals to bring on

Please put him in the first team. He will teach these Bozos how to score goals. Screw your "We need to integrate him" rubbish.

Some may find this difficult to believe but I think if Hojlund or Zirkzee played under 18's football they would also score quite a lot of goals.

Some may find this difficult to believe but I think if Hojlund or Zirkzee played under 18's football they would also score quite a lot of goals.
Have you seen Zhirkzee's record at that level at the same age? At Bayern Munich II, he scored 6 goals in 32 appearances. You cannot teach the instinct for goal scoring and deadly finishing. Obviously we need more sample size for Obi Martin at senior level but he has the instinct unlike Zhirkzee who doesn't know if he is a half nine or a quarter 10

As for Hojlund, he struggled too and has barely pulled much at first team level. United need regular goal scorers, not patchy fancy flicks. If the first team forwards aren't doing it then we need to look further down.

Have you seen Zhirkzee's record at that level at the same age? At Bayern Munich II, he scored 6 goals in 32 appearances. You cannot teach the instinct for goal scoring and deadly finishing. Obviously we need more sample size for Obi Martin at senior level but he has the instinct unlike Zhirkzee who doesn't know if he is a half nine or a quarter 10
Firstly are Bayern Munich II playing in an under 18's league? Because I would've thought not. But also, once again some may claim otherwise, but I would suggest Zirkzee's possibly improved since those days.

My contention is he would in his present state score a lot of goals in under 18 football.
That doesn't add up because you could flip the coin and say that if Obi Martin had Zhirkzee's exposure in the the first team then he would hit even more goals at u18 level given his record so far. Zhirkzee has never shown immense goal scoring at any level, and I include his stint in the Dutch league as well as international level.

That doesn't add up because you could flip the coin and say that if Obi Martin had Zhirkzee's exposure in the the first team then he would hit even more goals at u18 level given his record so far. Zhirkzee has never shown immense goal scoring at any level, and I include his stint in the Dutch league as well as international level.
He would score for fun. It's the u18's.

Just move him to U23s and see how that looks. Three goals in first 15 minutes on debut is just comical.

We can’t even enjoy a thread about a new youth gem without the club getting slagged off and another player being criticised.

What is wrong with some of you?

The standard of that defending is absolutely woeful at any level of the game. I wouldn't get too excited just yet.

We can’t even enjoy a thread about a new youth gem without the club getting slagged off and another player being criticised.

What is wrong with some of you?
Couldn't agree more. There's plenty to criticise about this lad without bringing others into it.

First off, the defending in those clips was shite. He may as well have been playing against a team of Antonys, Mounts and Zirkzees.

My contention is he would in his present state score a lot of goals in under 18 football.

Oh, yeah I expect a 23 year old Zirkzee would score a good amount of goals because he's 5 years older, and most of the time teams have lots of 17 and sometimes 16 year olds in there too.

However I doubt he'd score as many as Chido who is a hard worker and very difrect. Zirkzee is quite indirect and general play based. He wont be in the box to score half the goals Chido scores

Under 18’s isn’t even professional football folks. Most sides are carrying squad filler to fill 11 a side matches week on week.

Calm down.

You guys are weird. Are people after watching those 3 goals and deciding he should be in the first 11??

Have a video of myself dribbling round my then 7 year old son and rolling one in in the back garden. Is there anything to be said for me firing it off to the scouting department, do you think?

That was my first post in the thread and it wasn’t aimed at anyone specific.

But it’s desperately silly for those suggesting he gets thrown into the first team in place of international footballers. He’s playing against school kids.
It's too soon at the moment of course. However, if he gets promoted to the under 21's in the next couple of months and performs well, then we should seriously consider integrating him into the first team squad next season.

It's too soon at the moment of course. However, if he gets promoted to the under 21's in the next couple of months and performs well, then we should seriously consider integrating him into the first team squad next season.
This is entirely plausible, I think. Perhaps with him getting a small amount of first team exposure later on this season in preparation for a squad role beginning at the start of next year.

Obviously, it's also possible he could find under 21's football a difficult step up and we decide it's better not to fast-track him too much.

If he wasn't competing with Hojlund then why is Ten Hag sticking up top? He was not bought to compete as a 10 and he isn't good enough to be a link player. United needed goal scorers and creative players so disagree that the team was "missing" a player like him. He is not creating goals either. I think what we have here is another Mason Mount. People are struggling to define his role - in fact, he doesn't even know what role he excels at either given he calls himself a "half nine"

I'm specifically talking about Zhirkzee, not the team. The excuse of terrible team preventing him from scoring is nonsense as well. He has had tons of basic chances and fluffed his lines. The team doesn't prevent you from making runs, shooting properly, and controlling the ball properly. I pointed out Ibrahimovic because Zhirkzee compared his style to the likes of Zlatan.

No point in further continuing this discussion. But if you really believe the bolded part is "nonsense", then you really need to educate yourself about football a little bit. There are literally countless examples just from the past few seasons alone where a player looked like two completely different players under two different managers.

I just moved a couple of posts to the Zirkzee thread. Let's keep this discussion focused on Chido Obi Martin.

This is entirely plausible, I think. Perhaps with him getting a small amount of first team exposure later on this season in preparation for a squad role beginning at the start of next year.

Obviously, it's also possible he could find under 21's football a difficult step up and we decide it's better not to fast-track him too much.
Agreed. All bets are off. Quite exciting really.

Weird mix of vibes in this thread. Hard to work out if we’ve squandered prime fat Ronaldo by forcing him to play Sunday league or this is a bang average, husky teenager who’s bullying a load of prepubescent featherweights.

I suspect the truth is in between. He’s very close to being ready for first team football but there’s no harm in him playing U18/U21 a while longer. We’re struggling to give enough minutes to all our more established attacking players as it is. His time will come.

Think it's important to remember that he did not trained with any club for months and it's vital he builds up his sharpness. I'm sure he won't be in the under 18s for long but playing now will help him regain sharpness.

This is the first time I've seen him play, he looks very good at this level but for the u21s, he will have less space and won't easily out muscle the opposition. Hopefully over the next 6 months, we may see him make the bench.

Yeah look forward to seeing him move up to U21's once he has a few more games under his belt. Like you say he didn’t have any pre season with Arsenal so needs time to integrate

I watched the video an hour or so ago. They were gimmees…the boy has a great career ahead of him but he’s nowhere near being ready for the first team. We must remain calm.

After seeing the highlights people are getting way too carried away. Nowhere near first team ready.

this is a bang average, husky teenager who’s bullying a load of prepubescent featherweights

They were gimmees…the boy has a great career ahead of him but he’s nowhere near being ready for the first team. We must remain calm.

Looks to me like he scores a lot of «gimmes». Not by bullying, but rather by good movement. I think that is a good thing.

After seeing the highlights people are getting way too carried away. Nowhere near first team ready.
I have no idea if he's close or not. But neither are you based on watching highlights.