Chido Obi Martin

Always difficult to judge when teenagers are this physically ahead of their peers.

Lukaku or Rooney?

Both are good. Lukaku scored in the europa league when he was 16 playing against adults and I believe to this day thats the record for youngest scorer. He got 4 in the competition that season

Even if he's 16, will still give us more than Martial did over the past few seasons.

Wheatley must be gutted though, it looked as though he was in line for some mins this year, i expected him to be 3rd choice.

Even if he's 16, will still give us more than Martial did over the past few seasons.

Wheatley must be gutted though, it looked as though he was in line for some mins this year, i expected him to be 3rd choice.
He really hasn't shown anything of note anytime he's been in the first team. Send him out on loan and if and when he develops give him a chance again, if he doesn't, sell for a small profit. Everyone wins.

People care. But you need to remember he's only been in the u18's so far. Next season will be his first playing u21 football.

I think you'd only get that "party" if he had already, at 16, broken into Arsenal's senior team last season.
Oh absolutely. To be honest the guy reminds me a lot of Moukoko, who dominated in youth football and is still struggling to make the step up.

Oh, I know. And it's something that we should be rightly proud of, but it's so much easier when there's less on the line.

And I partly agree with the point you're making. I think it's easier and better for youngsters to come into a well functioning team. For someone like Fletcher, coming into a squad with the players we had back then would be so good for his development, and the quality of the other players would have put less pressure on him.

But in terms of being given those opportunities in the first place, it's so, so much easier for a manager to turn to them when the senior players are either underperforming or simply not good enough in the first place.

A lot of those youngsters that have come through in recent years are not good enough for United and never really showed anything in their first team minutes, but they were given chances through a lack of options and desperation.

A manager under pressure is much less likely to take any risks by giving young players a chance.

I’d be shocked if that was the case. He’s 16.
I would think that the first season he will start u18 to gauge him, then he will move up to u23 to see how he gets on, and see his level. There then is a huge jump in quality between that and PL level

He will turn 17 in a few months. He is more than a year older than Yamal was when we entered last season and he broke into their first team. Same age Bellingham was when he played regularly for Dortmund. Musiala for Bayern. Same age Owen was when he started playing regularly for Liverpool. Or Wayne Rooney for Everton.

While it is rare, it is not unheard of. This kid is not only a special talent. He is an early developer. He left Arsenal for a reason. I’m quite confident that the reason was we offered a quicker path to first team football.

He will turn 17 in a few months. He is more than a year older than Yamal was when we entered last season and he broke into their first team. Same age Bellingham was when he played regularly for Dortmund. Musiala for Bayern. Same age Owen was when he started playing regularly for Liverpool. Or Wayne Rooney for Everton.

While it is rare, it is not unheard of. This kid is not only a special talent. He is an early developer. He left Arsenal for a reason. I’m quite confident that the reason was we offered a quicker path to first team football.
It's hard to judge him as he has a very clear and obvious physical advantage over his peers. Is it too late for him to sign and join up for one of the tour games?

Will be interesting to see what level he arrives at. Really unusual for it to be reported that he's going to be third choice this year

Oh absolutely. To be honest the guy reminds me a lot of Moukoko, who dominated in youth football and is still struggling to make the step up.

5 and 7 goals with mostly sub appearances in the past 2 seasons is pretty good... 162 mins per goal (better than 1 goal in 2 matches) in 22/23 and 123 mins per goal (getting closer towards 90 mins per goal) in 23/24

Sure he isnt starting a lot but thats partly to do with Fulkrug doing a very specific job for the team that nobody aged 18/19 is likely to do. Be a big physical holdup player

I'm sure if he was played weekly he'd establish himself as one of the best goalscorers in the league. He just wouldnt do what the manager wants in general play between the goals

5 and 7 goals with mostly sub appearances in the past 2 seasons is pretty good... 162 mins per goal (better than 1 goal in 2 matches) in 22/23 and 123 mins per goal (getting closer towards 90 mins per goal) in 23/24

Sure he isnt starting a lot but thats partly to do with Fulkrug doing a very specific job for the team that nobody aged 18/19 is likely to do. Be a big physical holdup player

I'm sure if he was played weekly he'd establish himself as one of the best goalscorers in the league. He just wouldnt do what the manager wants in general play between the goals
Per 90 stats always favours impact players.

A manager under pressure is much less likely to take any risks by giving young players a chance.

Which managers aren't under pressure? They all are, it's just different scenarios. Some are under pressure to keep their job, some have the pressure of title challenges.

I'm not denying our record bringing through young players. Ten Hag even mentioned that this was a part of his job description, so it's clearly something we're try to prioritise, which is admirable.

I think my point still stands though. It's easier to turn to youth players when there are clear deficiencies in the squad, whether those deficiencies be injuries or poor performances.

If you're challenging for league titles and champions leagues, you probably have a strong squad of players performing to a high level. That's when it's harder to even find a place for young players. We've done that well I'm the past with some players (class of 92 and Fletcher, for example). But to get into those teams you need to be a better calibre of player, so naturally the pool is smaller.

Third choice striker already is wild, but at the same time obviously very exciting.

Btw, does his jersey say "Obi" or "Obi-Martin"?

I know it sounds shocking that a 16 year old would be our 3rd choice striker, but with Zirkzee's goalscoring record, Chido Obi would probably be our 2nd most likely goalscorer from the striker position - if we say that Rashford is only on the left, as the tweet implies

Most likely Rashford would get a game up front before him as Garnacho likes to play on the left

Genuinely buzzing for this signing. My Arsenal mate was telling me about him a while back so I started following him a bit, absolutely tore it up at youth levels. It’s a big step up to full professional levels but he’s genuinely too good for u16 and u18 tbf. Probably the most exciting young striker in the English youth ranks in fact.

Should have no doubt been given minutes by Arsenal last season towards the end of the season, bizarre that he never got into the squad at all tbh. We’ve done brilliant at getting him like this, one to watch for sure.

Fair play to Utd for offering that fast tracking, it will be what swayed the kid ultimately so it's a brave step.

I think it's hard for young centre forwards breaking through at top clubs to get the game time necessary to really hone their game at senior level. Struggling to really think of any top prospect centre forwards that came through a big clubs academy and managed to stay there and cement their place? Kane comes to mind after a few different loan spells, anyone think of anyone else?

It's not overly wild, he's literally our third striker if Wheatley goes out on loan.

I understand, but Obi is just 16. Last season he was playing u18 football. Going straight to being United's 3rd choice striker from that is quite the turn of events. I'm not saying it cannot work out, though.

@bringbackbebe I stand corrected, but still as I say, shocked that we’re expecting a 16 year old to fill in if needed, lots of pressure on the young lad

I don't think it's us trying to fill in a need. We either had to offer him that career path or he just signs for another club that did it. Getting a 3-4 games as a 16/17 year old is not uncommon.

Always difficult to judge when teenagers are this physically ahead of their peers.

Lukaku or Rooney?
I would love for him to be a such a disappointment that he "only" reaches Lukaku levels. It would be an absolutely amazing transfer.

I agree - if someone is very well developed at 16-17 there isn't any particular reason they can't play against adults and if they are good enough then we'll find that out.
This lad looks built already and whilst he'll still be growing he already seems strong enough. Hopefully he doesn't find the step up too much, especially when he can't just bully people out of the way any more.

Does anyone have a primary source where Romano said that? I always have a very limited trust for aggregators with stuff like this.

Yeah, nowhere on Romano's own twitter does it say this. Doesn't help hyping him up like that. Highly doubt he's ready for 1st team football yet.

I’m somewhat confused Arsenal didn’t give him the chance considering their options upfront are so scarce. Jesus is showing that the Guardiola-City system benefited him massively and Nkeitah is a pretty average player even as a backup. You’d think this kid would be in with a chance just based on that.

But time will tell whether they’re kicking themselves over it. Seems like Ashworth and Wilcox pitching things to the likes of this kid is already paying off. God knows if we’d have even touched this a year ago or even won a hypothetical race for him, probably losing out to a team like Dortmund.

I’m somewhat confused Arsenal didn’t give him the chance considering their options upfront are so scarce. Jesus is showing that the Guardiola-City system benefited him massively and Nkeitah is a pretty average player even as a backup. You’d think this kid would be in with a chance just based on that.

But time will tell whether they’re kicking themselves over it. Seems like Ashworth and Wilcox pitching things to the likes of this kid is already paying off. God knows if we’d have even touched this a year ago or even won a hypothetical race for him, probably losing out to a team like Dortmund.

Arsenal are chasing titles against a team that is almost flawless. They can’t afford to take a punt in any context really.

We are building to compete 4-5 years from now, it’s easy for us to tell a 16 year old they are third choice.

This guy must be good.....he has two threads going at the same time.

Remember he was basically 15 turning 16 last season, he wasn't getting in at that age, this was his first proper season at U18 football.

To get him to sign we'd have tried to show him a pathway was there, there isn't much in terms of U21 forwards a lot have been cleared out, so he had a clear run through the U21's. We were probably showing him a path for 2 to 3 years down the line, but when Utd is offering you a first team squad place now, that's difficult to turn down, and fair enough for the lad. Perhaps if Arsenal had promised similar he might have stayed, who knows? Nkeitah is getting sold and Jesus is 27 & Havertz is 25 so you could maybe see an opening a couple of years down the line, but at the same time, we were trying to convince Sesko by all accounts, linked with Gyokores etc so can imagine that Utd promising to fast track him would have been the decisive factor.

Does anyone have a primary source where Romano said that? I always have a very limited trust for aggregators with stuff like this.
He said that on his YouTube channel.