Chido Obi Martin

Wonder if the new people scouting him already
I'm really hoping that one person in particular has been scouting his YouTube videos and is currently writing a report on the guy...

Is he more of a natural talent than Höjlund who I think is too dependent on others to create chances?

Reckon he’ll go straight into the U23’s for a few months & then play the odd league cup/europa league fixture in midweek. Potentially a 6 month loan in January to a club he will be guaranteed regular game time to get him ready for 1st team senior men’s football. Comes back for pre-season ready to compete for a 1st team place.

Rather we keep him with us at this point, still too young to go out on loan, never seen anything of a 16 year old going out on loan. He needs to get used to the club environment for a season at the very least. At 18 it would be worth thinking about depending on his development.

Is he more of a natural talent than Höjlund who I think is too dependent on others to create chances?
I don't understand this question. Who isn't dependent on others to create chances? You want a Messi who can do it all by himself then? Cause even Ronaldo at Real Madrid used to depend on other to create chances for him. Likewise Haaland at City. Literally every striker out there depends on his team to create chances.

Hojlund is fine as long as he keeps converting chances. His and our main focus should be to get him involved more and create more chances for him.

Obi Martin is the best talent in his group and his physicality has helped him a lot as he looked like a grown man amongst school boys. He might have more to his game but that will only be apparent when he is challenged at higher levels. Going by his record from last season, he found the u-18s level too easy.

That might be the strangest criticism I've ever heard levied at a player.

Hojlund scored 16 goals last season despite recieving some of the worst service I've ever seen a striker have to fend off.

I'm genuinely baffled by this take.

His development curve is far ahead of Hojlund, who only really started to explode at 19. He seems to be a much more natural finisher as well. But only time can tell how he handles the step up to senior football.

My question is - how long until he gets injured, and how many months is he going to be out once it inevitably happens?

Looks like he might be our main man up top...
We'll have to think of something for the first few games until Hoijlund comes back.
Zirkzee isn't really a CF, I suspect we'll play a false 9 for a while.
Would be interesting to see this guy chucked in the deep end though, he might reasonably expect a few minutes off the bench in a couple of games.

Is it confirmed yet that he’s signed for United?

Then we can argue about the silliness of saying “chuck him in at the deep end” for a 16 year old

Is it confirmed yet that he’s signed for United?

Then we can argue about the silliness of saying “chuck him in at the deep end” for a 16 year old
Apparently it takes weeks for the PL to ratify signings of players under 18 because they have to check everything was done lawfully. Which is fair enough.

I don't understand this question. Who isn't dependent on others to create chances? You want a Messi who can do it all by himself then? Cause even Ronaldo at Real Madrid used to depend on other to create chances for him. Likewise Haaland at City. Literally every striker out there depends on his team to create chances.

Hojlund is fine as long as he keeps converting chances. His and our main focus should be to get him involved more and create more chances for him.

Obi Martin is the best talent in his group and his physicality has helped him a lot as he looked like a grown man amongst school boys. He might have more to his game but that will only be apparent when he is challenged at higher levels. Going by his record from last season, he found the u-18s level too easy.
It’s a fairly straightforward question. Hojlund looks a good talent but he spends a lot of football matches tussling with defenders or waiting for the game to come to him - which isn’t uncommon for a number 9. But it’s not like there haven’t been different kind of strikers like Rooney, Benzema, Aguero, Suarez etc who have a more complete skillset and hence try to influence football matches in a more proactive way. Rooney for example would often drop deep to initiate or help imitate moves. Or Suarez would pick up it up and take defenders on.

It’s fine if Hojlund is a specific type of striker but personally I too want him to take more responsibility on the ball. First priority of course has to maximise his strengths and secondary to be a more involved striker. But regardless it’s fine to want variety in your forward line. That’s why Zirkzee for example makes sense - he looks to have that quality on the ball which Hojlund often lacks.

In over 190 career games, he has played over 170 of them as a CF so I don't get this statement at all.
Sorry what I meant was that he’s not a classic CF in the hoijlund mold.
But then again we could play him in his normal position I guess and change the way we play a bit.
Please ignore me I’ve had a mare here :)

That might be the strangest criticism I've ever heard levied at a player.

Hojlund scored 16 goals last season despite recieving some of the worst service I've ever seen a striker have to fend off.

I'm genuinely baffled by this take.
Agree with this - if anything, Hojlund ended up having to create a lot for himself, but any CF in world football is dependent on chance creation by others.

His development curve is far ahead of Hojlund, who only really started to explode at 19. He seems to be a much more natural finisher as well. But only time can tell how he handles the step up to senior football.
How’s Hojlund not a “natural finisher”?

Rival teams will be surprised when their best young players opt to join us. They shouldn’t be surprised as we give out the most minutes to young players out of all the top teams.

Rival teams will be surprised when their best young players opt to join us. They shouldn’t be surprised as we give out the most minutes to young players out of all the top teams.

I would actually love to see a minutes table for youth players at all PL teams over the last few years.

A lot of Arsenal fans have actually been humble enough to admit this. Mainly because it's something that irks them about Arteta and his unwillingness to trust academy players - or at least create a path for them.

I would actually love to see a minutes table for youth players at all PL teams over the last few years.
We'd constantly be at the top. Depends what your criterion is, teenager or academy graduate. Academy graduate we'd probably be no 1, but teenagers we'd be around the top.

We'd constantly be at the top. Depends what your criterion is, teenager or academy graduate. Academy graduate we'd probably be no 1, but teenagers we'd be around the top.

I was thinking academy graduates but I realise now that would exclude Garnacho, which doesn't seem fair in a conversation about giving youth pathway into the first team. So yes, academy graduates and teenagers. I saw one for academy graduates a few years ago and it was only for that particular season and Chelsea topped it. It's why I was curious to see a table like that for a longer period, say the last 5-7-10 years.

I was thinking academy graduates but I realise now that would exclude Garnacho, which doesn't seem fair in a conversation about giving youth pathway into the first team. So yes, academy graduates and teenagers. I saw one for academy graduates a few years ago and it was only for that particular season and Chelsea topped it. It's why I was curious to see a table like that for a longer period, say the last 5-7-10 years.
Garnacho would be an academy graduate in my eyes, he played in the academy and forged his path to the first team through it. He didn't just come straight into the first team squad. I had a quick search, but can't seem to find anything over a longer period of time, but will keep scanning!

We would top it no doubt. Liverpool probably be up there aswell for the last few years.

Garnacho is academy graduate, he joined our academy and promoted from academy.

Maybe not exactly what you're asking for but this article gives total number of minutes given to academy players (of whatever age) for last year:

1) Liverpool
2) United
3) Chelsea
4) Arsenal
5) Newcastle
6) City
7) Brighton
8) Palace

Garnacho would be an academy graduate in my eyes, he played in the academy and forged his path to the first team through it. He didn't just come straight into the first team squad. I had a quick search, but can't seem to find anything over a longer period of time, but will keep scanning!
Garnacho is academy graduate, he joined our academy and promoted from academy.

Fair enough. I just assumed since you signed him at 18 he was considered a normal signing.

Maybe not exactly what you're asking for but this article gives total number of minutes given to academy players (of whatever age) for last year:

1) Liverpool
2) United
3) Chelsea
4) Arsenal
5) Newcastle
6) City
7) Brighton
8) Palace

It's wrong. Harvey Elliott is not Liverpool academy player. He was already first team player for Fulham.

I wouldn’t take it that he has signed for us until the club officially announces this. United have never confirmed the deal at all, did we?