Chido Obi Martin

Why are people shocked he is our third choice striker.....when we literally only have WHeatley as any other option at all?

You just downplayed him because he isnt generational, stop being so entitled

No I didn't? :lol: What are you going on about. I wasn't the first to mention the g word. I'm entitled for thinking we should be wary and just allow him to progress at a reasonable pace? Bizarre.

Fair play to Utd for offering that fast tracking, it will be what swayed the kid ultimately so it's a brave step.

I think it's hard for young centre forwards breaking through at top clubs to get the game time necessary to really hone their game at senior level. Struggling to really think of any top prospect centre forwards that came through a big clubs academy and managed to stay there and cement their place? Kane comes to mind after a few different loan spells, anyone think of anyone else?
Rooney

Why are people shocked he is our third choice striker.....when we literally only have WHeatley as any other option at all?
I fully expected that third choice would be a first teamer shifted from other position, like we did plenty of times last season.

With our injury record im sure he will be first team regular.

If he comes on and does well in a match i will go straight to AFTV or DR Sports to see the Arsenal meltdown.

Ha ha ,, exactly what I am thinking about. Glorious Meltdowns!

He's not coming in as a first team striker. Last season we only had Hoijlund. Wheatley (our young player of the year) got 39 minutes total. We've doubled our senior strikers this summer by adding Zirkzee.

I think a good example of his situation would be when we signed Amad. He'll come in, play at youth level and if he looks too good, he will get promoted. Best case scenario, he gets some first team minutes as a sub, but I'd be shocked (and delighted) if he gets more than 300 minutes for the first team this season.

I really don't think he's anything like Lukaku, just because he has a physical advantage at youth level.

Isak is the current PL striker I would compare him to. Obi is good technically.

Cool, Rasmus has another Danish friend.

If Obi Martin can play on the wing then he might be able to grab a few more extra minutes this season.

But one for the future no doubt.

I really don't think he's anything like Lukaku, just because he has a physical advantage at youth level.

Isak is the current PL striker I would compare him to. Obi is good technically.
People always like to drag out lazy comparisons

Straight to the u18's, some said :lol:
Haha. It's just like Yoro...

You cannot snap up top talent by signing them and letting them rot in the reserves.

I don't have a crystal ball - noone knows if it will work. He's definately being given a chance though.

The one thing for sure - the strategy we had was not working. I'd much rather try this than sign Toney on massive wages and not be able to shift him in 18 months.

He is not good as a CF, we should not be doing this. Rashford is a winger.
He isn't good there but say Hojlund and Zirkzee are out for the first game of the season I would think Rashford a more capable option to start in the middle than someone this young and inexperienced. Bruno too, to be honest. I'd be surprised in those circumstances if it really was this kid starting. Not shocked - I mean Rashford himself had an unexpectedly quick promotion (though he was older), these things do happen sometimes - but definitely surprised.

He isn't good there but say Hojlund and Zirkzee are out for the first game of the season I would think Rashford a more capable option to start in the middle than someone this young and inexperienced. Bruno too, to be honest. I'd be surprised in those circumstances if it really was this kid starting. Not shocked - I mean Rashford himself had an unexpectedly quick promotion (though he was older), these things do happen sometimes - but definitely surprised.
I think capable is maybe the wrong word, it would be a 'safer' bet to put Rashford there but we've seen time and time again he doesn't know how to play that role and is a detriment to the team. I'd like to see a bit of bravery, play a kid there, give him a chance... as you say this is how Rashford became a starter in the first team, Van Gaal gave him a chance.

His numbers are great but he doesn't look anything special in the few compilations I've watched.

If he can keep those numbers or at least close to them in the U21 then we're talking. I mean 32 goals in 18 games it's a freak number but watching the keepers on that videos makes me thing at least 5-10 goals shouldn't have gone in. There's some terrible mistakes by the keepers there.

For reference this is the top scorers list in the U18, see any familiar names? I get people getting excited but the U18 level is way below premier league level we have to be patient with the kid.

SEASONPlayerClubCountryGoals scored
18/19
Ellis Simms
Ellis Simms
Center Forward
FC Everton U18England32
23/24
Chido Obi
Chido Obi
Center Forward
FC Arsenal U18Denmark 32
21/22
Oakley Cannonier
Oakley Cannonier
Center Forward
FC Liverpool U18England28
17/18
Reo Griffiths
Reo Griffiths
Center Forward
Tottenham Hotspur U18England27
20/21
Charlie McNeill
Charlie McNeill
Center Forward
Manchester United U18England24
19/20
Jay Stansfield
Jay Stansfield
Center Forward
FC Fulham U18England22
16/17
Martell Taylor-Crossdale
Martell Taylor-Crossdale
Center Forward
FC Chelsea U18England20
22/23
Aaron Loupalo-Bi
Aaron Loupalo-Bi
Center Forward
FC Fulham U18England17

Yes but he is by all conventional wisdom going to be ahead of a 16 year old so is remarkable if we've told the 16 year old he's ahead in the pecking order, which is the point
My suspicion is that third choice here may well mean that if one of the main two are injured then he'll be the option off the bench. So if we decide we want two up top cause we're behind in the closing stages of a game he'll come on.

My suspicion is that third choice here may well mean that if one of the main two are injured then he'll be the option off the bench. So if we decide we want two up top cause we're behind in the closing stages of a game he'll come on.

That sounds like a logical interpretation

I'd bet right now, he doesn't see the bench at all this season, injuries or not. He is a child, you'll have Martial on a weekend contract before he's thrown out against seasoned defenders.

I imagine "Third choice" is basically just a nice way of saying we only have 2 strikers.

If he takes to U23 football and does really well and we have an injury crisis he may get minutes. Lot of ifs first.

His numbers are great but he doesn't look anything special in the few compilations I've watched.

If he can keep those numbers or at least close to them in the U21 then we're talking. I mean 32 goals in 18 games it's a freak number but watching the keepers on that videos makes me thing at least 5-10 goals shouldn't have gone in. There's some terrible mistakes by the keepers there.

For reference this is the top scorers list in the U18, see any familiar names? I get people getting excited but the U18 level is way below premier league level we have to be patient with the kid.

18/19
Ellis Simms
Ellis Simms
Center Forward
FC Everton U18England32
23/24
Chido Obi
Chido Obi
Center Forward
FC Arsenal U18Denmark32
21/22
Oakley Cannonier
Oakley Cannonier
Center Forward
17/18
Reo Griffiths
Reo Griffiths
Center Forward
20/21
Charlie McNeill
Charlie McNeill
Center Forward
19/20
Jay Stansfield
Jay Stansfield
Center Forward
FC Fulham U18England22
16/17
Martell Taylor-Crossdale
Martell Taylor-Crossdale
Center Forward
FC Chelsea U18England20
22/23
Aaron Loupalo-Bi
Aaron Loupalo-Bi
Center Forward
FC Fulham U18England17
Yeah - the jump from youth level to senior football is obviously gigantic. All the moreso when one of his biggest strengths right now is the fact that he's like a good half a foot bigger than everyone else. I imagine he'll play for the next age group up for the most part and train with the first squad at opportune moments.

That Romano quote about him being third choice seems a little dramatised - he is technically our third or fourth choice striker by default at this point, anyway. Subject to whatever happens to Wheatley, though it sounds like Obi Martin might be jumping ahead of him in the queue.

18/19
Ellis Simms
Ellis Simms
Center Forward
FC Everton U18England32
23/24
Chido Obi
Chido Obi
Center Forward
FC Arsenal U18Denmark32
21/22
Oakley Cannonier
Oakley Cannonier
Center Forward
17/18
Reo Griffiths
Reo Griffiths
Center Forward
20/21
Charlie McNeill
Charlie McNeill
Center Forward
19/20
Jay Stansfield
Jay Stansfield
Center Forward
FC Fulham U18England22
16/17
Martell Taylor-Crossdale
Martell Taylor-Crossdale
Center Forward
FC Chelsea U18England20
22/23
Aaron Loupalo-Bi
Aaron Loupalo-Bi
Center Forward
FC Fulham U18England17
Wow, that's interesting, none of these guys have made it at Premier League level, not yet at least.

Chido seems like a potentially great player, but people should really temper their expectations here, there's a gulf of difference between U18 and PL level, or even EFL level.
Arsenal went all out to keep someone like Ethan Nwaneri, even giving him a taste of PL football at the age of 15, that's someone they truly believe in and if they let Chido go it probably means they didn't believe his potential to be THAT high. Will be interesting to see his development of the next 2 years though, wish we could have kept him but it's whatever.

Yeah - the jump from youth level to senior football is obviously gigantic. All the moreso when one of his biggest strengths right now is the fact that he's like a good half a foot bigger than everyone else. I imagine he'll play for the next age group up for the most part and train with the first squad at opportune moments.

That Romano quote about him being third choice seems a little dramatised - he is technically our third or fourth choice striker by default at this point, anyway. Subject to whatever happens to Wheatley, though it sounds like Obi Martin might be jumping ahead of him in the queue.
If you watch a lot of his highlights most of his goals don’t come from his size though. More his turn of pace and quick feet. The defending however always looks atrocious and he’s afforded a lot of space. He isn’t muscling past people he’s dribbling past them.

I think at this point Wheatley is ahead of him simply because he has shown he can deal with the physicality of the PL. Still, would not be surprised if he gets to make his debut before the season is over, especially if we have some dead rubber games at the tail end of the season.

I'd bet right now, he doesn't see the bench at all this season, injuries or not. He is a child, you'll have Martial on a weekend contract before he's thrown out against seasoned defenders.
Oh, I think you'd deserve very long odds on that one. He'll be 17 in November, that's a perfectly normal age for a promising player to make a couple of sub appearances or even start a cup game. If he stays fit I think it's almost nailed on that he will not just grace a bench but get some minutes.

Reckon he’ll go straight into the U23’s for a few months & then play the odd league cup/europa league fixture in midweek. Potentially a 6 month loan in January to a club he will be guaranteed regular game time to get him ready for 1st team senior men’s football. Comes back for pre-season ready to compete for a 1st team place.