Chelsea 2024/25

Pure profit on Gallagher vs amortised cost of whoever you buy, no one else is willing to take Gallagher for 40m so you've got no other options really. The cost of signing 20 players every window.

Just checked you've signed 43 players since Boehly in 22. That's a player every 17 days of the year.

Bloody hell :o

Just trying to work out the size of the current senior squad.

Chelsea seem to have:

GK: 6
CB: 7
RB: 2
LB: 2
DM: 4
CM: 5
ACM: 4
RW: 3
LW: 3
CF: 6

I know Gallagher and Lukaku are likely to go, but that is the most stocked squad I've ever seen! How they get that down to 25 for the league will leave a lot of people disappointed.
@duffer @WeePat … can you have a go at selecting the final 25? (assuming you don’t buy another 6 players before your reply)

@duffer @WeePat … can you have a go at selecting the final 25? (assuming you don’t buy another 6 players before your reply)

GK (3): Sanchez, Jorgensen, Bettinelli
RB (2): James, Gusto
CB (5): Colwill, Fofana, Badiashile, Tosin, Disasi
LB (2): Cucurella, Veiga
CM (5): Enzo, Caicedo, Lavia, KDH, Ugochukwu
LW (2): Sterling, Mudryk
CAM (2): Palmer, Nkunku
RW (2): Neto, Madueke
ST (2): Jackson, Guiu

Chukwuemeka the last one cut here which is very harsh. The last spot is probably down to him or Ugochukwu.

Chukwuemeka the last one cut here which is very harsh. The last spot is probably down to him or Ugochukwu.

Which ones of those satisfy the Homegrown quotas, or do we not have to bother with that anymore?

No 1st choice goalkeeper or #9, either. It's all rather odd.
Sanchez as GK and Jackson as #9, no? Not saying they’re of the right quality if they want to compete for top honors or anything, just wanted to point out they do have 1st choice GK (out of 8 :lol:) and first choice striker…

U21 players (for 24-25 this means born after 1/1/2003) don't count against the 25 man limit so I don't think Chelsea will have a problem in terms of the PL squad rules. The bigger issue is probably just keeping everybody happy and rowing in the same direction. It's one thing to have a bloated squad full of veterans who have already made their wedge in football, have their best years behind them, and are happy to just be at a club like Chelsea for a while in their late 20s or early 30s without playing much. But you can't have a squad of 25-30 young guys all of whom are desperate to play, make their mark on the game, and earn a big next contract without the potential for toxicity.

Which ones of those satisfy the Homegrown quotas, or do we not have to bother with that anymore?
Ah forgot about that. Bettinelli, James, Colwill, Tosin, Lavia, KDH, Sterling, and Palmer would all qualify as HG by my reckoning?
U21 players (for 24-25 this means born after 1/1/2003) don't count against the 25 man limit so I don't think Chelsea will have a problem in terms of the PL squad rules. The bigger issue is probably just keeping everybody happy and rowing in the same direction. It's one thing to have a bloated squad full of veterans who have already made their wedge in football, have their best years behind them, and are happy to just be at a club like Chelsea for a while in their late 20s or early 30s without playing much. But you can't have a squad of 25-30 young guys all of whom are desperate to play, make their mark on the game, and earn a big next contract without the potential for toxicity.
Yep good point.

Ah forgot about that. Bettinelli, James, Colwill, Tosin, Lavia, KDH, Sterling, and Palmer would all qualify as HG by my reckoning?

Madueke and Sanchez also count as homegrown for the PL. So that's still 10 HG players left even with assuming Chalobah, Chilwell and Chukwuemeka are all out.

In Europe it gets a bit trickier because as things stand our only club-trained players are looking likely to be James, Colwill and to make full use of the 25 man squad we would need 4.

Players born after 01/01/2003 don't have to be named in the 25.

That means Guiu, Chuky, Lavia, Veiga, Ugochukwu and Gusto don't need to be included in the 25.

Last edited:

Yep good point.
Sanchez is also HG add to that I am not sure all those HG players you quote will be over 21.

It’s worth noting that we only had 19 in the final 23/24 squad

Don’t think either Chukwuemeka or Ugochukwu would be counted

There's varying reports on why Omorodion fell though. I've heard contract disputes, I've heard medial issues and also that because we're going to go or Osimhen.

Also, the management apparently wanted to keep Felix at the end of his loan but Poch was strongly against it. I can't imagine Enzo having the balls yet to be strongly against anything.
From what I read it’s to do with image rights

It's pretty easy.

Sanchez, Jorgensen, Bettinelli, Kepa
James, Colwill, Fofana, Badiashile, Tosin, Disasi, Cucurella, Chalobah
Enzo, Caicedo, KDH, Gallagher
Sterling, Mudryk, Palmer, Nkunku, Neto, Maduake
Jackson, Lukaku, Beforekeanetherewasrobson

That's 25 and I've included you upfront. You're probably 3rd choice.

Gusto, Veiga, Lavia, Ugochukwu, Guiu and Carney don't need to be added to the 25 because of their age.

Pochettino's reputation is literally going to blow up this season due to 5/6 dead rubbers and one of his few good decisions (not signing Felix) ageing well in plain sight.

Can only hope another team in the PL fall for it.

So if they are letting Madueke leave to Newcastle then won’t they have to pay him his entire contract of 7 years or whatever it was.

Correct. That's generally what happens with transfers.

Well considering 90% of Chelsea new signings are utter horseshit looks like they’ll be paying millions out in the next couple of seasons.

So if they are letting Madueke leave to Newcastle then won’t they have to pay him his entire contract of 7 years or whatever it was.

Nope, but the remainder of his transfer fee to be amortised over the 7 years, will go on the books as a loss for this year.

Nope, but the remainder of his transfer fee to be amortised over the 7 years, will go on the books as a loss for this year.
Yep - and just for context he signed a 7.5 year deal in January 2023 with a transfer fee of £28.5m - so £3.8m per year amortised.

He has 6 years left on his deal - so £22.8m left in terms of transfer fee. Anything above that would therefore be accounted for as profit for FFP purposes.

They are still a fecking mess, overall, but you have to admire how RUTHLESS Chelsea are in kicking out players they don't need, from Romano:

"BREAKING: Trevoh Chalobah and Armando Broja barred by Chelsea from using first team’s facilities at Cobham, same as Lukaku! ⛔
“Broja, Chalobah and Lukaku will train with the U21s until they agree with a new club”, Telegraph reports.
Romelu Lukaku, expected to join Napoli on three year contract soon… talks ongoing for Chalobah and Broja.
Chelsea want around £30m fee for Chalobah as he’s already been left out of pre-season tour this summer."

Chelsea expects 2 yr transfer ban coming. We are equipped for it I hope.

They are still a fecking mess, overall, but you have to admire how RUTHLESS Chelsea are in kicking out players they don't need, from Romano:

"BREAKING: Trevoh Chalobah and Armando Broja barred by Chelsea from using first team’s facilities at Cobham, same as Lukaku! ⛔
“Broja, Chalobah and Lukaku will train with the U21s until they agree with a new club”, Telegraph reports.
Romelu Lukaku, expected to join Napoli on three year contract soon… talks ongoing for Chalobah and Broja.
Chelsea want around £30m fee for Chalobah as he’s already been left out of pre-season tour this summer."
No one is paying £30m as a fee for Chalobah, someone they publicly banished from the 1st team, he will most likely go for £10m or less, or be loaned out, most likely to CPFC.

I think the stance on Chalobah and Broja is really utterly disgraceful. It’s one thing being a figure of incredible hilarity with the never ending carousel of signings. Ridiculous but light hearted fun. It’s another to bar players from using facilities and take away their lockers. Just abject humiliation of players who’ve been with the club from the academy, and completely unnecessary. O think it’s a move that will have long term ramifications for recruitment, especially at academy level. It also paints these owners in a different light, one that is really ripping out whatever heart there was at the club. I wouldn’t like to see any club do that to their players.

In terms of value, I have to imagine they’ve cratered what they can get for both players as a result. You can’t demand 30m for someone and then send that sort of message. If I was another club I’d bid ten million for him and say take it or leave it, happily wait until the last moments of the window and maybe negotiate up to 12 or 13. But anyone offering the asking price for him, well I want their number because I have a bridge to sell them.

I think the stance on Chalobah and Broja is really utterly disgraceful. It’s one thing being a figure of incredible hilarity with the never ending carousel of signings. Ridiculous but light hearted fun. It’s another to bar players from using facilities and take away their lockers. Just abject humiliation of players who’ve been with the club from the academy, and completely unnecessary. O think it’s a move that will have long term ramifications for recruitment, especially at academy level. It also paints these owners in a different light, one that is really ripping out whatever heart there was at the club. I wouldn’t like to see any club do that to their players.

In terms of value, I have to imagine they’ve cratered what they can get for both players as a result. You can’t demand 30m for someone and then send that sort of message. If I was another club I’d bid ten million for him and say take it or leave it, happily wait until the last moments of the window and maybe negotiate up to 12 or 13. But anyone offering the asking price for him, well I want their number because I have a bridge to sell them.
@duffer will be in here shortly with a snarky comment but you're absolutely right.

@duffer will be in here shortly with a snarky comment but you're absolutely right.
Yeah it's pathetic and disgraceful. This is what happens all the time in American sports - in the NFL players can be cut from the roster at any time, in MLB and the NBA players can be demoted to lower levels of the sport, etc.

Yeah it's pathetic and disgraceful. This is what happens all the time in American sports - in the NFL players can be cut from the roster at any time, in MLB and the NBA players can be demoted to lower levels of the sport, etc.

Agree with you all.

That really is nothing to be proud of. Disgraceful way to treat players who've done nothing wrong including from their own academy.

That really is nothing to be proud of. Disgraceful way to treat players who've done nothing wrong including from their own academy.
When you have too many players it's not really ruthless, it's just hoarding and running out of room to store more "collectibles"

I don't think any Chelsea fans are proud of (or even happy with) these transfer dealings since the takeover.

I'll joke about them for sure but that's because it is all a joke.

A lot of Chelsea fans kinda want another transfer ban.

Rumours going around of a 2 years, 4 window transfer ban for chelsea due to the investigation into the previous board's conduct, which the new board brought to the league's attention. Might explain their crazy spending.

I don't think any Chelsea fans are proud of (or even happy with) these transfer dealings since the takeover.

I'll joke about them for sure but that's because it is all a joke.

A lot of Chelsea fans kinda want another transfer ban.

Good to hear that from fans about transfers. I was more referring to the treatment of those players above such as banning them from training facilities for doing nothing wrong.

Rumours going around of a 2 years, 4 window transfer ban for chelsea due to the investigation into the previous board's conduct, which the new board brought to the league's attention. Might explain their crazy spending.

It does actually perfectly explain the insane spending, if they're expecting a transfer ban. It's actually the only reasonable explanation.

Take a 4 window ban. Use that time to consolidate the squad. Loan/sell well, if possible. Come out of the 2 year ban with a settle squad and 2 years of posting profits. I'd never wish for a ban because it would mean we had broken some rules, which sucks, but this punishment might just be exactly what Chelsea need.