Chelsea 2024/25

Petrovic was one of the only few positives to take from last season. And yet here we are with Italian Pep dropping him for Sanchez because of his "ball playing skills". Sanchez will play at least 1 suicide ball every game and be at fault for a good chunk of the goals conceded this year. I'd rather have a goalkeeper who plays more conservatively and is actually good at doing goalkeeper things thanks. #freepetrovic

Petrovic wound up being awful at everything besides penalty shootouts and was much worse than Sanchez:
https://fbref.com/tiny/bk4QM

Chelsea are the footballing equivalent of those hoarders, can't pass up an opportunity to buy anything. In years to come they'll be cleaning out Stamford Bridge and they'll find boxes of spoons, piles of old contracts, a wheelbarrow full of beer cans, dead cats, John Terry's NFTs, some cuddly toys and the remains of forgotten footballers in dried up baths.
Chelsea's next manager walking around Cobham.

"Mudryk is in there."

maxresdefault.jpg

Am I getting this right?

They want to sign Felix
- because Omorodion deal has collapsed due to contract disagreements
-- because they need the FFP money from Gallagher's sale
--- because Atletico are the only ones bidding for Gallagher

Very crazy situation if so.

Petrovic wound up being awful at everything besides penalty shootouts and was much worse than Sanchez:
https://fbref.com/tiny/bk4QM

This is a clear example of statistics saying one thing but the eye test says another. I can only think of 1 goal last season that Petrovic was at fault at and can think of several for Sanchez. The reason why those stats are probably so out of whack was the sheer number of massive deflections we conceded in the second half of the season. It seemed like they happened every game.

Joao Felix has a bizarre mentality.

Surprised Chelsea want him back as I think in his first loan he just couldn't finish any chances and I can't see how he thinks he's going to get a regular game there when Nkunku is finally fit and desperate to make up for his lost season.

Am I getting this right?

They want to sign Felix

There's varying reports on why Omorodion fell though. I've heard contract disputes, I've heard medial issues and also that because we're going to go or Osimhen.

Also, the management apparently wanted to keep Felix at the end of his loan but Poch was strongly against it. I can't imagine Enzo having the balls yet to be strongly against anything.

If the Gallagher deal collapses and he stays doesn't that leave Chelsea a bit fecked?

Doesn't their plan revolve around selling academy players on for big money?

Are there any more hotels available they could sell back to themselves again? So many questions!

There's varying reports on why Omorodion fell though. I've heard contract disputes, I've heard medial issues and also that because we're going to go or Osimhen.

Also, the management apparently wanted to keep Felix at the end of his loan but Poch was strongly against it. I can't imagine Enzo having the balls yet to be strongly against anything.

If I was a Chelsea fan, this is the point when I'd hit the panic button and start preaching end of days prophecy. You don't need Felix. You shouldn't be desperately trying to get rid of Gallagher (and Chalobah). It's all over the place.

Matt law says Felix is available for around £40m and is willing to take a significant paycut to fit into their new strict wage structure. I find it amazing that any team could have a top end of £150k per week for wages and still be this competitive in the transfer market (sterling was pre this new structure). I hope we learn from this and start having a hard upper limit on wages.

Matt law says Felix is available for around £40m and is willing to take a significant paycut to fit into their new strict wage structure. I find it amazing that any team could have a top end of £150k per week for wages and still be this competitive in the transfer market (sterling was pre this new structure). I hope we learn from this and start having a hard upper limit on wages.

Not sure I want United to learn anything from Chelsea at the moment

This is a clear example of statistics saying one thing but the eye test says another. I can only think of 1 goal last season that Petrovic was at fault at and can think of several for Sanchez. The reason why those stats are probably so out of whack was the sheer number of massive deflections we conceded in the second half of the season. It seemed like they happened every game.

Well according to the stats both made 3 errors.

It's a reasonable point about deflections - but we had our fair share when Sanchez was in goal too (e.g. the Rodri goal in the 4-4 vs City). The post-shot xG being so bad for Petrovic is a problem though, especially over only half a season - and he was also worse on crosses and at sweeping.

Well according to the stats both made 3 errors.

It's a reasonable point about deflections - but we had our fair share when Sanchez was in goal too (e.g. the Rodri goal in the 4-4 vs City). The post-shot xG being so bad for Petrovic is a problem though, especially over only half a season - and he was also worse on crosses and at sweeping.
Reminds me of the situation with Ivanovic (the well past his prime version) and Baba Rahman.

Fans were so desperate to see one dropped they put mythical abilities on the even worse alternative.

Considering all the money they've spent, I'm still not looking at their squad enviously.

Reminds me of the situation with Ivanovic (the well past his prime version) and Baba Rahman.

Fans were so desperate to see one dropped they put mythical abilities on the even worse alternative.
Fans will just eat up anything that a new manager says/does in the hope that he's successful. Here's @TheMagicFoolBus on Petrovic in March (before the freakish run of deflected goals started):

Petrovic has also been very good in fairness - certainly better than Sanchez for me.
But just 2 months later Sanchez is now better again, even though he has not played a single minute of Premier League football since 10 December 2023. This is also a great example of players seemingly becoming better whilst being injured.

If you believe any PR spouted by clubs. Let's see what the financial report says when it's reported.

You'd love a bit of Cole Palmer, Malo Gusto, Cookie or any of our 7 goalies. Admit it.
The four I really like are Palmer, Gusto, Caicedo and E.Fernandez, if you get a few more in of their calibre then you're cooking. There's definitely talent in the Chelsea squad, but if given the option to swap squads with one other team in the league I think there are a fair few squads I'd choose before choosing Chelsea.

Fans will just eat up anything that a new manager says/does in the hope that he's successful. Here's @TheMagicFoolBus on Petrovic in March (before the freakish run of deflected goals started):

But just 2 months later Sanchez is now better again, even though he has not played a single minute of Premier League football since 10 December 2023. This is also a great example of players seemingly becoming better whilst being injured.
I don't agree with everything managers do and I certainly don't rate Sanchez that highly but apart from maybe the first few weeks (off the back of his penalty heroics and good game I think against Fulham) I've not been sold on Petrovic atall.

Even if he was a good shot stopper his distribution would still be a massive problem, Anfield summed it up, he just kept hoofing it for Palmer to have duels against VVD and the end result was wave after wave of attacks coming back at us (and if it weren't for Nunez we'd gave troubled the PL loss record that night, if not broke it).

Well yes - he started out quite well and then became a liability. Sanchez didn't pull up too many trees but by the end of the year I think it's entirely fair to say he had the better half-season.

Am I getting this right?

They want to sign Felix

My honest feeling is that Chelsea are doing some kind of favour to Atleti or Mendes. It's the only explanation that makes sense. Felix a player makes zero sense for Chelsea. He wouldn't start in any of the front 4 positions, and likely wouldn't even be the main back up for any of the front 4 positions.

Is Sanchez going to be first choice? I thought Chelsea signed about three keepers this summer?

Law is tier 1 for chelsea tbf.

Yes, no one said he is lying. He will report what club tells him to report.

The way wages are reported is very different, with so many things to consider. Only thing that matters is the total wages published in financial report for every club except City.

My honest feeling is that Chelsea are doing some kind of favour to Atleti or Mendes. It's the only explanation that makes sense. Felix a player makes zero sense for Chelsea. He wouldn't start in any of the front 4 positions, and likely wouldn't even be the main back up for any of the front 4 positions.

It feels as though they are dealing with players like financial transactions. "Omorodion deal not through? No problem. Let's buy the next player Atletico wants to get rid off so we can sell our home grown player for FFP purposes to finance further players we never needed in the first place. It doesn't matter that Gallagher has shown a lot of passion for the club in the past. At the end of the day, we're hedged at the delta, gamma, theta level and have a positive alpha generating market neutral squad with zero beta. This is most important"

Surely the obvious answer is Atletico are only willing to pay so much for Gallagher if you give them some of it back. And you need to Gallagher fee to be inflated for PSR/FFP requirements.

I don't agree with everything managers do and I certainly don't rate Sanchez that highly but apart from maybe the first few weeks (off the back of his penalty heroics and good game I think against Fulham) I've not been sold on Petrovic atall.

Even if he was a good shot stopper his distribution would still be a massive problem, Anfield summed it up, he just kept hoofing it for Palmer to have duels against VVD and the end result was wave after wave of attacks coming back at us (and if it weren't for Nunez we'd gave troubled the PL loss record that night, if not broke it).
Let me get this straight. You're referencing a game where the whole team were terrible and you're blaming Petrovic for the loss because we didn't win long balls in Liverpool's half? A game where both fans and journalists gave him the highest player rating out of all our players. A game where he made 9 saves. That's your example? You started this by saying that fans are attaching mythical abilities to players but you're in here just rewriting history to fit your agenda against a player you don't like.

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation...layer-ratings-petrovic-peppered-blues-roasted

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...ea-player-ratings-conor-bradley-b2488334.html

https://www.90min.com/posts/liverpool-4-1-chelsea-player-ratings-premier-league-31-1-24

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sk...gen-klopps-side-maintain-advantage-at-the-top

Surely the obvious answer is Atletico are only willing to pay so much for Gallagher if you give them some of it back. And you need to Gallagher fee to be inflated for PSR/FFP requirements.

I don’t see how it makes sense to agree to buy a player we know we have no space for, we know isn’t particularly great, we know Atleti don’t want and are desperate to get rid of, all so we can force a decent academy player out? This club is bonkers if that is the case.

Last edited:
Chelsea's squad size is ridiculous, seriously can't fathom how anyone would consider going there, aside from the guaranteed 8 year contract.

Football needs to go back to 3 subs. I think it would stop players being happy to sit at a big club knowing they can change half a team every game and they have more chance of getting that appearance bonus.

Just trying to work out the size of the current senior squad.

Chelsea seem to have:

GK: 6
CB: 7
RB: 2
LB: 2
DM: 4
CM: 5
ACM: 4
RW: 3
LW: 3
CF: 6

I know Gallagher and Lukaku are likely to go, but that is the most stocked squad I've ever seen! How they get that down to 25 for the league will leave a lot of people disappointed.

I don’t see how it makes sense to agree to buy a player we know we have no space for, we know isn’t particularly great, we know Atleti don’t want and are desperate to get rid of, all so we can force a decent academy player out? This club is bonkers if that is the case.

I suspect that Chelsea are less bothered about which player they get than they are about receiving a big fee for Gallagher. Ultimately, there is a limited number of players that Chelsea can buy from Atletico for €40m+ and they need to pick someone over there, if they want to get the Gallagher fee in return.

Let me get this straight. You're referencing a game where the whole team were terrible and you're blaming Petrovic for the loss because we didn't win long balls in Liverpool's half? A game where both fans and journalists gave him the highest player rating out of all our players. A game where he made 9 saves. That's your example? You started this by saying that fans are attaching mythical abilities to players but you're in here just rewriting history to fit your agenda against a player you don't like.

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation...layer-ratings-petrovic-peppered-blues-roasted

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...ea-player-ratings-conor-bradley-b2488334.html

https://www.90min.com/posts/liverpool-4-1-chelsea-player-ratings-premier-league-31-1-24

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sk...gen-klopps-side-maintain-advantage-at-the-top
You missed the part where I said "even if he was a good stopper".

And being the best player that day for us (which I disagree with anyway, Nkunku was) is akin to being the friendliest crocodile.

You missed the part where I said "even if he was a good stopper".
You said people put "mythical abilities on the even worse alternative" and then say he's a good shot stopper, which is entirely my point. I want a proper goalkeeper who I have confidence in to save a likely goal. All this passing the ball out of the back crap is all well and good if you've got the players to do it. Ours look hopeless at it, as we've seen throughout preseason. And Sanchez isnt particularly great at that either with all the hospital passes I've seen from him since joining.

Pure profit on Gallagher vs amortised cost of whoever you buy, no one else is willing to take Gallagher for 40m so you've got no other options really. The cost of signing 20 players every window.

Just checked you've signed 43 players since Boehly in 22. That's a player every 17 days of the year.

Just trying to work out the size of the current senior squad.

Chelsea seem to have:

GK: 6
CB: 7
RB: 2
LB: 2
DM: 4
CM: 5
ACM: 4
RW: 3
LW: 3
CF: 6

I know Gallagher and Lukaku are likely to go, but that is the most stocked squad I've ever seen! How they get that down to 25 for the league will leave a lot of people disappointed.
6 CFs?