Cheering on Liverpool - 2017/18 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just know they are getting Roma in the semis, if they win it.. I'll go into hiding
Could be worse. Barca could have gone through and put in that 2nd leg performance against Liverpool.
imagine if they capitulated like that in the semis at anfield..

If Liverpool go on to win it, I'm blaming it solely on the Caf and its backward logic.

Can understand people not wanting the Scousers to draw Roma, but I wouldn’t be too disappointed.

Roma have proven themselves to be a very good team in this competition this season and should definitely not be underestimated. So good that maybe we should be looking at signing a couple of them for next year.

Can see the Scousers rubbing their hands with glee after being drawn against them, fancying their chances but getting a bloodied nose. Which of course would be lovely :)

Saw many cheering on Liverpool on twitter last night. Was sickening. Would have preferred City to go through easily.

Not sure why anyone is cheering for anyone. It's simple. Laugh at the loser, it's simple.

It's pretty fair tbh. Klopp is annoying, but most of their players are somewhat likable/respectable. Salah is one of those who just gets on with his business. Firmino has an annoying face but is one of those you can tell just has fun on the pitch. Mane doesn't really do much to get you to dislike him. Milner boring. Chamberlain hasn't been there long. They have some young players at fullback which you have to begrudgingly respect, and then their center backs are pretty shit and mediocre goalkeepers. Every team has a few, but it's mostly just Klopp that talks shit all the time. And Lovren, but Lovren is trash so it's hard to hate him when he constantly fecks up.

This City side is much more unlikable IMO, since they all lose their shit the second things don't go their way. Kompany, Otamendi, Fernandinho, Jesus, Aguero being a dirty cnut often, Sterling... plenty of them.

I agree city is way more unlikable, maybe on a personal level I fear City more than Liverpool where City have been a consistent title winning side Liverpool have been also rans for the most part.

Who said you're struggling? You're being deliberately obtuse which makes it very difficult to take anything you say seriously. The point I'm making is you're very beatable and tonight doesn't change that.

So what ? All 4 semi-finalists will have strengths & weaknesses which put them in a similar category. The bookies have us at 7/2 to win the competition, & they're generally spot on with these sort of things. Therefore that gives us a 28% chance of becoming European champions, which in turn makes the chances of us being beaten at 72%. So well done on your astute observation.

I was not cheering on Liverpool at all but it got me to thinking during the game last night from the following perspective- who do i want to win?

Team A) Steeped in History, been our rivals for what seems an age from all perspectives, as a city if it's music, fashion, art or the whole reason the rivalry came about with employment on the docks after Manchester built it's canals causing them to lose work, but can begrudgingly respect them who have had an era of dominance like ourselves and however much we deny it as a people we are very similar, and play pretty football.

Team B) 8 years ago get slaughtered at Middlesborough 8-1 , fall into successive loaded owners, Curly Watts supports them, their coach has been done for doping in the past, its been questioned that as a coach his teams do the same, funded by money from a country where human rights don't exist and torture is rife, that swamp money into our own city on high end developments making affordable housing in and around the city non existent, and have basically become the the thing they bleated on about hating for years, and have fans who sing songs about a disaster effecting us even though one of their own died in said disaster, but play pretty football.

Difficult conundrum.

If Roma can beat Barca over two legs why couldn't they do the same to Pool? Anywho let's just wait for the draw before everyone starts panicking.

Can understand people not wanting the Scousers to draw Roma, but I wouldn’t be too disappointed.

Roma have proven themselves to be a very good team in this competition this season and should definitely not be underestimated. So good that maybe we should be looking at signing a couple of them for next year.

Can see the Scousers rubbing their hands with glee after being drawn against them, fancying their chances but getting a bloodied nose. Which of course would be lovely :)

Italian club teams are renowned bottlers. Roma only made it through because they had nothing to lose and threw the kitchen sink. If they had been in the driving seat 15-20 minutes earlier they would have imploded for sure. Even at 3-0 that late on they lost the plot defensively and were lucky not to concede.

Be careful what you wish for. Liverpool would absolutely dismantle Roma.

Relax. Bayern and Real/Juventus are still in this. Klopp's style is the perfect antidote to Guardiola's high press, once you break the first line there's lots of space and City's defenders are simply not on the level of other CL category teams. LIverpool will not win this trophy, at least this year.

So what ? All 4 semi-finalists will have strengths & weaknesses which put them in a similar category. The bookies have us at 7/2 to win the competition, & they're generally spot on with these sort of things. Therefore that gives us a 28% chance of becoming European champions, which in turn makes the chances of us being beaten at 72%. So well done on your astute observation.

Yeah, you being 3rd favourites behind Real & Bayern is probably about right. Amazing that they have Roma at 11/1 though after they dispatched Barca, Barca being the favourites of course.

Could be the bookies overrated Barca & City, then again you don’t have to be the best team in a cup to win it do you?

Not sure if the bookies have those Roma odds right though after what they have done so far, might be worth a cheeky punt. 11/1 good value at the SF stage imo.

Italian club teams are renowned bottlers. Roma only made it through because they had nothing to lose and threw the kitchen sink. If they had been in the driving seat 15-20 minutes earlier they would have imploded for sure. Even at 3-0 that late on they lost the plot defensively and were lucky not to concede.

Be careful what you wish for. Liverpool would absolutely dismantle Roma.

Strootman, De Rossi & Nainggolan is a very strong midfield trio. A lot better than anything the Scousers can put out. I wouldn’t be so sure.

Feck Liverpool, as much as I admire the player Salah is and enjoy the football they play, I hope they draw Madrid and Ronaldo scores 4 goals... in each leg.

I officially stopped being happy City lost when I heard Roma went through. What if Liverpool draw Roma in the semi's. That's very much winnable and anything can happen in a final.

Feck me.

Yeah, you being 3rd favourites behind Real & Bayern is probably about right. Amazing that they have Roma at 11/1 though after they dispatched Barca, Barca being the favourites of course.

Could be the bookies overrated Barca & City, then again you don’t have to be the best team in a cup to win it do you?

Not sure if the bookies have those Roma odds right though after what they have done so far, might be worth a cheeky punt. 11/1 good value at the SF stage imo.

I'd have Roma about half those odds. Could be a good value bet for a trade/cash-out. There's a good possibility those odds could tumble dramatically at some point in their semi-final tie. Me personally, I'd have preferred Barca to go through. I think their style would have been perfect for us. Roma are a tough side who play well to their strengths. They won't be pushovers for whoever draws them.

I officially stopped being happy City lost when I heard Roma went through. What if Liverpool draw Roma in the semi's. That's very much winnable and anything can happen in a final.

Feck me.

Roma were unlucky at the Camp Nou with the 1-4 and beat Barca 3-0 last night, also had decent results v Atletico & Chelsea. They clearly aren’t totally shit.

Meanwhile, Liverpool couldn’t get the better of Sevilla (not that I’m gloating, as neither could we).

Sevilla, who after a brief bright start were completely dominated at home by Bayern last week.

Sevilla, who were thrashed 5-0 by Real in La Liga in December.

Real>Bayern>Scousers>Roma is probably the pecking order if things go to plan.

There is no easy draw in the semis of the CL. Period.

What is Klopp's record against Heynckes?

EDIT: For the Liverpool fans wanting Roma in the draw, the funny thing is, the Italians will probably be hoping for Liverpool also :lol:

What is Klopp's record against Heynckes?

EDIT: For the Liverpool fans wanting Roma in the draw, the funny thing is, the Italians will probably be hoping for Liverpool also :lol:

Heynckes' record:

2011-12:
Lost 1-0 home and away in the league
Lost 5-2 in the cup finals

2012-13:
1-1 draw at home and away in the league
2-1 win in the cup finals.
2-1 win the the super cup.

Played 7
Won: 2
Lost: 3
Draw: 2

Heynckes' record:

2011-12:
Lost 1-0 home and away in the league
Lost 5-2 in the cup finals

2012-13:
1-1 draw at home and away in the league
2-1 win in the cup finals.
2-1 win the the super cup.

Played 7
Won: 2
Lost: 3
Draw: 2
So it seems like the stats favour Klopp, slightly but still. Let's hope they get Real, just in case.

I hope they get Bayern in the semi's, then Real in the final should they reach it.

If they got Real in the semi's, the Dips are capable of getting an away goal or 2. Therefore they'd have a better chance of beating Real over 2 legs,
as opposed a one-off final.

And if they beat Real in the semi's, they will think they can walk on water...

I don't really mind who Liverpool draw in the semi final, as long as they lose. Having to watch Liverpool in the final and badly wanting them to lose will spoil it, rather than being able to just sit back and enjoy the game.

We're the only undefeated team in the tournament, have conceded the least amount of goals and scored the most (also most of any british team ever). Also, we're in the fecking semis.

We may not be favorites, but I don't see how any united fans could possibly sit assured that we have no chance of winning it from here.

Strootman, De Rossi & Nainggolan is a very strong midfield trio. A lot better than anything the Scousers can put out. I wouldn’t be so sure.

De Bruyne, Silva and Fernandinho was even better. Liverpool take the midfield completely out of the game, their whole game is to get the ball into their forwards as quickly as possible. Salah, Mane and Firmino is a much better attack than Roma can field.

We may not be favorites, but I don't see how any united fans could possibly sit assured that we have no chance of winning it from here.

If United fans actually believe this, they're either stupid or in denial.

There's clearly a chance.

Most on here seem to realize this, though.

If United fans actually believe this, they're either stupid or in denial.

There's clearly a chance.

Most on here seem to realize this, though.

Loads on here who wanted us to beat city, because they were confident we'd have no chance at all against Bayern, Barcelona or Real.

If they beat Bayern and Madrid from here on top of city you can't argue it's not a good run. Have a feeling over two legs Bayern or Madrid would have too much for them but this Liverpool team is as likely to blitz three goals in a first half as they are to go with a whimper.

Desperately hope they go out

Loads on here who wanted us to beat city, because they were confident we'd have no chance at all against Bayern, Barcelona or Real.

Lunatics or people with no knowledge of (fairly recent too) football history (which, like history in general, tends to repeat itself).

We're the only undefeated team in the tournament, have conceded the least amount of goals and scored the most (also most of any british team ever). Also, we're in the fecking semis.

Has anyone said you have "no" chance?

I'm just very confident Ronaldo will handle you lot. He can also do the "5 times la" thing back to you. ;)

If they beat Bayern and Madrid from here on top of city you can't argue it's not a good run. Have a feeling over two legs Bayern or Madrid would have too much for them but this Liverpool team is as likely to blitz three goals in a first half as they are to go with a whimper.

Desperately hope they go out

You overestimate Liverpool. Neither Bayern nor Real are as naive as City. Liverpool cannot score freely against them.

You have been on this forum for how long ? and you cont see that Liverpool are not liked on here :lol:

Roma would be a very tough game for them - ok they might not be as big a name as other clubs left in the competition but they are a bloody good team and more than capable of beating Liverpool.

Status
Not open for further replies.