Cheering on Liverpool - 2017/18 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roma will be a different test for Liverpool should they draw each other. One they may struggle with more.

They have dealt with Chelsea (when they were in good form), Atletico Madrid and Barca. I wouldn't be surprised if they beat Liverpool too.

I mean, we've scored the most goals in Europe, conceded one goal in our last 6 CL games and just beat the bookies favourites (a couple of weeks ago). Keep praying though.

So you didn't scrape out of your group? Or get beaten easily by United?

I'm not praying but just stating you're very beatable.

Eh, Liverpool winning another European cup is normally worst case, but they already have enough to boast about at any given opportunity. Thankfully enough of them have enough fingers on one hand to do 6 times so no real change, just harder to catch up with in the long term. The press creaming themselves over City/Guardiola would be much worse in the short to medium term.

I agree.

On the bright side we still now have the potential for more comedy gold. I want some slippy g style crystanbul crying scousers over the next month.

I'm sending a copy of our performance at Old Trafford to Zidane, Heynckes and Di Francesco as we speak.

Don't be naive against Liverpool FFS. Stop Salah and you'll be golden.

Absolutely, long way to go. We got a bit lucky in that first half tonight. If we play like that against Madrid or Bayern chances are they will bury us. We need a lot of stars to align for us to win this - not least improving Klopp's poor final record should we even get there. When we qualified against Hoffenheim I did think we could do well as it suits our game, because teams come out to play.

No question you have done very well and deserve to be in the semis but you are very beatable and had the rub of it tonight with the wrongly disallowed goal which would have totally changed the game.

Other teams have styles of play that will cause you issues as will yours cause them.

Eh, Liverpool winning another European cup is normally worst case, but they already have enough to boast about at any given opportunity. Thankfully enough of them have enough fingers on one hand to do 6 times so no real change, just harder to catch up with in the long term. The press creaming themselves over City/Guardiola would be much worse in the short to medium term.

Jesus.

They can enjoy their moment, but they have to play Bayern or Real Madrid, or both to win this thing. Two teams filled with better players and enormous experience in this very tournament, world cup-winners. Teams that are used to winning this cup.

I am impressed by Liverpool since they did not let in more than one goal against Man City over two legs, but they were without Aguero. Bayern have Lewa, Real have Ronaldo. Enjoy the moment, it’s not going to end well - and nobody remembers who finishes second. I will put at least 500 quid on Liverpool to win it though, just to be safe.

Is it controversial to say that I don't find Liverpool anywhere near as unlikable as they were when Gerrard, Carragher, Suarez and Dalglish were at the club. I'd say Rafa too but he was just a clown, a bit like Klopp in that regard.

Their fans are still very cult-like obviously.

It's awful to consider yep. But could you imagine the reaction Pep's City would get over here? And them getting their first? No thanks. The difference between killing your dog or killing it then fecking it.

Who cares? It's fecking City, it would be forgotten after a week.

Who cares? It's fecking City, it would be forgotten after a week.

Have you read a paper or watched a match this year? It's been sickening. Might be more to do with Pep than the berties but doubt it'll stop til he's left.

Have you read a paper or watched a match this year? It's been sickening. Might be more to do with Pep than the berties but doubt it'll stop til he's left.

It seems like you hate Guardiola more than City or Liverpool? Am I correct in thinking that?

Before round of 16 , my list of teams who i do not want to see win the CL in order was something like this:
1. Madrid
2. Barca
3. City
4. Liverpool

Now, suddenly it looks like this:
1. Liverpool
2. Liverpool
3. Liverpool
4. Madrid

Draw these scousers against madrid next.

Is it controversial to say that I don't find Liverpool anywhere near as unlikable as they were when Gerrard, Carragher, Suarez and Dalglish were at the club. I'd say Rafa too but he was just a clown, a bit like Klopp in that regard.

Their fans are still very cult-like obviously.
It's pretty fair tbh. Klopp is annoying, but most of their players are somewhat likable/respectable. Salah is one of those who just gets on with his business. Firmino has an annoying face but is one of those you can tell just has fun on the pitch. Mane doesn't really do much to get you to dislike him. Milner boring. Chamberlain hasn't been there long. They have some young players at fullback which you have to begrudgingly respect, and then their center backs are pretty shit and mediocre goalkeepers. Every team has a few, but it's mostly just Klopp that talks shit all the time. And Lovren, but Lovren is trash so it's hard to hate him when he constantly fecks up.

This City side is much more unlikable IMO, since they all lose their shit the second things don't go their way. Kompany, Otamendi, Fernandinho, Jesus, Aguero being a dirty cnut often, Sterling... plenty of them.

It’s not a 25% chance.. they’re not flipping a coin for the trophy.

One of four possibles. That’s 25 per cent. There are better teams left in it, one or two dodgy mistakes though and Liverpool might win it. Scary.

They are still in the competition so have a chance but I think people have short memories. A powerful ariel threat like Lewando, Dzeko, Ronaldo will cause them issues. Lukaku terrorised them and according to the Caf he's shite..

Liverpool haven't been tearing up European football let's not forget and barely scraped out of one of the easiest groups in the competition.

They way everyone is talking like they accept Liverpool have won it is fecking stupid.
Look up the lineups for the final 2005. Anything can happen from here on in

They're gonna win the Champions League, aren't they?

Draw Roma in the semis and fluke their way past Madrid in the final.

Look up the lineups for the final 2005. Anything can happen from here on in
As bad as that side was in comparison to Milan on paper, it did have Alonso, Gerrard and Mascherano. That's a solid spine. This Liverpool team has a shaky defense, a sub par midfield (mostly just runners), and a very good attack. I think Real are a level (or three) ahead of that Milan side as well.

Edit: No Mascherano, but Alonso and Gerrard were lightyears ahead of anything they have in midfield now. Even the likes of Hamann would start over Henderson.

Even though Liverpool fans will be delighted about Barcelona getting knocked out but can I say Roma were absolutely brilliant over two legs. They also scored two own goals in the first leg which handed Barcelona the advantage.

If Liverpool draw them then they will be favorites but Roma have been pretty magnificent in Europe this season and haven't conceded a goal at home this season yet. Have beaten Chelsea, got results against Atletico and have knocked out one of the best teams in Europe. It's not a foregone conclusion by any means If Roma did draw Liverpool.

Also all the talk about Anfield's atmosphere, Roma topped that tonight.

I take it you forgot you dropped points against Sevilla home and away and failed to beat Spartak Moscow at their place?

We finished on top of our group, have not lost a game in the CL all season, just knocked out the favourites and have scored the most goals in the competition. Struggling though.

I take it you forgot you dropped points against Sevilla home and away and failed to beat Spartak Moscow at their place?

Not to mention the sheer amount of good fortune they have received throughout the competition. How many disallowed goals have gone in their favour? Lost count after the Sane one tonight.

We finished on top of our group, have not lost a game in the CL all season, just knocked out the favourites and have scored the most goals in the competition. Struggling though.

Who said you're struggling? You're being deliberately obtuse which makes it very difficult to take anything you say seriously. The point I'm making is you're very beatable and tonight doesn't change that.

Could be worse. Barca could have gone through and put in that 2nd leg performance against Liverpool.

Someone will expose them for the average team they are. We did it easily enough. However, their attack is far from average so even Madrid would absolutely need an away goal at Anfield. City were woeful in that entire tie.

Liverpool are hugely dependent on Salah. Mane and Firmino are really good but should Salah pick up an injury before the semi’s, Liverpool will be a much easier side to beat. Also thinking this will help us in our quest for second.

I would swap Liverpool finishing second and not winning the Champions League.

Now can we all agree they need to be eliminated? Thread title change?

Could be worse. Barca could have gone through and put in that 2nd leg performance against Liverpool.

From watching that game tonight, I actually think Liverpool would have beaten Barcelona over two legs/final. They couldn't handle Roma's high press at all

Status
Not open for further replies.