Cheering on Liverpool - 2017/18 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn’t think that losing to Atletico in 2014 was particularly bad because Atletico won La Liga that season. They were obviously a strong team.

It’s been nearly a decade since Mourinho last had an impressive Champions League campaign. His brand of football doesn’t win you this competition anymore.

Tbf Pep also had poor CL since 2011. He made semi finals of CL which was expected just like how Jose made semi finals with Madrid.

Then with City he failed in round of 16 and looks like he will be out in QF. Similar record to Jose when they don't manage super clubs like Madrid, Bayern.

We can't draw conclusion saying Pep's brand of football won't win you competition. Jose's brand is very similar to Simeone's and they came so close to winning the CL twice in last 4-5 years. Once lost in penalties and once they were seconds away from winning it.

Tbf Pep also had poor CL since 2011. He made semi finals of CL which was expected just like how Jose made semi finals with Madrid.

Then with City he failed in round of 16 and looks like he will be out in QF. Similar record to Jose when they don't manage super clubs like Madrid, Bayern.

We can't draw conclusion saying Pep's brand of football won't win you competition. Jose's brand is very similar to Simeone's and they came so close to winning the CL twice in last 4-5 years. Once lost in penalties and once they were seconds away from winning it.
I don’t think that Pep’s brand of football is the way to go for the Champions League anymore either.

You need to be direct in attack, but also know how to defend. Bayern 2013 and the recent Madrid sides were all balanced sides. Lucho’s Barca was more direct than Pep’s Barca, and we weren’t afraid of defending once we had the lead.

Pep should have just parked the bus at Camp Nou in 2015 instead of trying to be a hero and losing 3-0. He is too stubborn for his own good.

I don’t think that Pep’s brand of football is the way to go for the Champions League anymore either.

You need to be direct in attack, but also know how to defend. Bayern 2013 and the recent Madrid sides were all balanced sides. Lucho’s Barca was more direct than Pep’s Barca, and we weren’t afraid of defending once we had the lead.

Pep should have just parked the bus at Camp Nou in 2015 instead of trying to be a hero and losing 3-0. He is too stubborn for his own good.

I don't think there is anything like so and so brand is good for CL. It depends on team too. This era is sort of feckedup with 2 superhumans playing for Madrid and Barca. No wonder they are dominating CL. Pep's brand worked perfectly for Barca as they had class players. Few GOATs and few one of the best in the generation players. Madrid are winning because they finally striked balance in their team.

I don't think anyone will rate Enrique as better coach or tactician than Pep but he had Messi which is half the battle won. Same with Madrid, when Madrid had close games Ronaldo just bailed them out.

This Barca and Madrid have superb collection of players and that's very important.

I guess I hate Liverpool more than you. The thought of listening to them is sickening
It’s only a matter of time before pep gets tired and walks away - city are a temporary. There’s no way they’re creating a rich history like ours or indeed Liverpool. People take city too serious because of the money and pep but they’re really not all that. Liverpool are tickling the balls of being back, don’t really want them to go full on hand job

No one hates Liverpool more than me. When I was growing up Liverpool fans were proper dickheads in every way. Non stop talking about pass successes and always trying to get one over you.

Friendships with Liverpool fans have always been shallow. There is a certain mentality that causes someone to choose a team purely for past successes and its a combination of both a need for superiority, but underlined by an inferiority complex.

There is the saying a friend in need is a friend in deed. Well when I was at school in need of backup they were mentally detached more likely to laugh at your difficulties.

So basically Liverpool fans have deep rooted issues and want to inflict them on others. And that goes against everything I stand for.

So believe me when it comes to Liverpool its personal. City though have an arrogance that bites, no humility. I want to see both fail miserably at every opportunity. I'd rather City when anything than Liverpool, but its been the best part of my life hearing "it'll be our year" and yet most of the time Liverpool fall further short than Arsenal.

I'm not worried about Liverpool. They will be dispatched in the next round.

Liverpool are tickling the balls of being back

Feel like they are too. Hopefully Real/Barca come in for another one or two of their best players and Klopp gets fed up. They have their weaknesses but they're good enough to win a big knockout (God forbid the CL) if things go their way, and if they improve a bit they can definitely mount a title challenge.

I have no preference on either Liverpool or City to progress. But I really want Guardiola to fail, so I've never imagined i'd say this, but lets go Pool!

Feel like they are too. Hopefully Real/Barca come in for another one or two of their best players and Klopp gets fed up. They have their weaknesses but they're good enough to win a big knockout (God forbid the CL) if things go their way, and if they improve a bit they can definitely mount a title challenge.

That's true but they are not likely to go their way all the way to the final. Easy CL group, then the worst version of Porto for years, then referee decisions in their favour vs City, etc. Their luck will run out soon. Chelsea win in 2012 was a one-off, I hope so.

That's true but they are not likely to go their way all the way to the final. Easy CL group, then the worst version of Porto for years, then referee decisions in their favour vs City, etc. Their luck will run out soon. Chelsea win in 2012 was a one-off, I hope so.

They played very well vs City tbf. They made their luck with the ref decisions. Their confidence in the system and their teammates is sky high and they execute it with a lot of energy. I think that's what caught City out and it could definitely catch others out. It's the kind of thing that's difficult to deal with even if you know to expect it.
In many ways that's why Jose's approach in the recent game was so good against them. We were ready and quickly hit them on the break. If we'd been unfortunate and conceded an early goal it'd have been the same story as City I think. Definitely would've been if we weren't concentrating enough like them.
The other sides left are better than them but they'll have to be switched on from the get go.

Mourinho has failed time and time again in the Champions League since 2010.

Lost to Bayern in 2012 when Real were favourites
Lost to Dortmund in 2013 when Real were favourites
Lost to a 10 man PSG in 2015 with Chelsea
Lost to Sevilla in 2018 when United were favourites

Also worth noting even in his prime he got gazumped by Rafa Benitez twice in the semi finals, with a much better team.

They played very well vs City tbf. They made their luck with the ref decisions. Their confidence in the system and their teammates is sky high and they execute it with a lot of energy. I think that's what caught City out and it could definitely catch others out. It's the kind of thing that's difficult to deal with even if you know to expect it.
In many ways that's why Jose's approach in the recent game was so good against them. We were ready and quickly hit them on the break. If we'd been unfortunate and conceded an early goal it'd have been the same story as City I think. Definitely would've been if we weren't concentrating enough like them.

Liverpool were good enough to score from that first chance when Salah was offside in the build-up, gained confidence and destroyed City for 20-30 minutes after that. They were really good and City helped them by shitting themselves, especially right after the 2nd goal. But anyone who thinks that Liverpool would have beaten them with 3 goals anyway even if that Salah offside was spotted by the referees or if they had given Jesus's goal is mistaken, imo. Liverpool showed superhuman fitness levels in the first half and couldn't go like that for the rest of the game. If it was a narrow win for them, which they deserved anyway, the second leg would be at least 50/50. Now it is probably 85/15 for Liverpool or 75/25 if Salah misses the game. They made the most with those close referee calls in their favour but the latter influenced the final result and made the second leg quite easier for them. Next time, when they play one of Real, Barca and Bayern, those close calls won't go in their favour and, more importantly, those teams are much more experienced than City and won't shit themselves.

Last edited:
Liverpool were good enough to score from that first chance when Salah was offside in the build-up, gained confidence and destroyed City for 20-30 minutes after that. They were really good and City helped them by shitting themselves, especially right after the 2nd goal. But anyone who thinks that Liverpool would have beaten them with 3 goals anyway even if that Salah offside was spotted by the referees or if they had given Jesus's goal is mistaken, imo. Liverpool showed superhuman fitness levels in the first half and couldn't go like that for the rest of the game.

I agree. I meant they created the luck for their offside purely by playing well and quick. Those things happen more when you do.
They seem to start quite quick and then get very quick not long after. I agree that if you can ride that out you're laughing if you're a decent side. Or do what we did and counter it before they really get going, knocking the wind out of their sails.

I don't understand the confidence of people saying Real will knock out Liverpool. Liverpool have a good chance against any side left in this competition.

No. Their defense is too shaky. Its the 0 in the City result that makes the difference. City probably score three but Lpool will score one. If City score five witch they can do, Lpool will score two. Liverpool against Barca or Real in two legs is another story though. Hell even we won against Liverpool. The Istanbul game was a one in a lifetime.

Messi or Ronaldo against Liverpool defense :rolleyes: Best scenario is of course watching that horrible biting Suarez knocking the dippers out. Relax my friends, Liverpool can't go all the way. Their defense is too shaky.

Last edited by a moderator:
Liverpool winning the CL and City the Premier League. Stuff of nightmares. Thanks football gods.

Would love to see Real in Liverpool in semis and Liverpool fans showing them 5 times, la. Then Ronaldo scores hattricck and takes his blue shirt off only to show United shirt under...
Anyway, you know Klopp always loses finals? No worries here.

You need to get over Ronaldo as i'm Sure he is over you guys..

Chuck them out for the disgusting riot scenes involving the City bus.
Liverpool, more than any other team, should show respect.
Absolutely disgraceful.

What a stupid comment over something that happened OUTSIDE the stadium and involved a minority of us fans.
Most of the fans on the night was incredible. YAWN

I don't understand the confidence of people saying Real will knock out Liverpool. Liverpool have a good chance against any side left in this competition.

Why thank you. Although Real & Barca are on another level.But you never know with knockout football..

Last edited by a moderator:
Pains me to say it, but as much as I wanted City to win that game, and the tie, Liverpool blew them away on Wednesday night, never game them a sniff. Hard to see City progressing now, not impossible, but very doubtful. Watching a game like that is a strange experience, though. Just wanting a team to win because you dislike them a bit less than their opponents is a bit surreal.

I wouldn't p*ss on City if they were on fire. I would set Livepool on fire. That's the difference.

No one hates Liverpool more than me. When I was growing up Liverpool fans were proper dickheads in every way. Non stop talking about pass successes and always trying to get one over you.

Friendships with Liverpool fans have always been shallow. There is a certain mentality that causes someone to choose a team purely for past successes and its a combination of both a need for superiority, but underlined by an inferiority complex.

There is the saying a friend in need is a friend in deed. Well when I was at school in need of backup they were mentally detached more likely to laugh at your difficulties.

So basically Liverpool fans have deep rooted issues and want to inflict them on others. And that goes against everything I stand for.

So believe me when it comes to Liverpool its personal. City though have an arrogance that bites, no humility. I want to see both fail miserably at every opportunity. I'd rather City when anything than Liverpool, but its been the best part of my life hearing "it'll be our year" and yet most of the time Liverpool fall further short than Arsenal.

I'm not worried about Liverpool. They will be dispatched in the next round.

You don’t hate Liverpool, you may dislike them but you don’t hate them. If you hated them you’d want them to lose everything going.

Btw people like you were saying the same before Istanbul “no problem Milan will dispatch them and it’ll be funnier losing in the final”

Closer they get to the final closer they get to fluking it

Pains me to say it, but as much as I wanted City to win that game, and the tie, Liverpool blew them away on Wednesday night, never game them a sniff. Hard to see City progressing now, not impossible, but very doubtful. Watching a game like that is a strange experience, though. Just wanting a team to win because you dislike them a bit less than their opponents is a bit surreal.

That's true but there is a distinct chance that Liverpool will field a midfield of Milner, Wjinaldum and Ox in the second leg due to Henderson being unavailable and Can and Lallana being still injured. Maybe it's not over. That midfield seems very average and won't be able to disrupt city's play or protect the defence sufficiently well. If both Salah and Can are fully fit though, it's a huge task and only referee mistakes or a silly red card could bring City back in the game.

What a stupid comment over something that happened OUTSIDE the stadium and involved a minority of us fans.
Most of the fans on the night was incredible. YAWN
Liverpool are responsible for fans inside and outside their ground, hence why UEFA have pulled them up on it

I've got a nasty feeling about this.

Rather see City pull a slip on them, even if I don't mind Pep getting his confidence rattled as such.

Liverpool winning the CL is the stuff of nightmares. By comparison, City winning it would be slightly annoying, nothing more.

Not gonna happen because City are overhyped by fans and media but it’d be funny if they won the tie 4-3 on aggregate

I've got a nasty feeling about this.

Rather see City pull a slip on them, even if I don't mind Pep getting his confidence rattled as such.

Liverpool winning the CL is the stuff of nightmares. By comparison, City winning it would be slightly annoying, nothing more.

Exactly - city winning is a minor annoyance; they’re a nothing club, no history. Anyone thinking otherwise is probably a kid who doesn’t get real rivalry

Liverpool winning, well that’s the stuff of nightmares really! 6 times la! We’re better than you, we’ve more trophies la. 26 years l
Wankers

That's a quite spectacular analogy...sums it up really.

Thanks man! Perhaps the difference between dislike and hate? I mean City can't just rock up with their back catalogue of bitterness and their mammoth spending and expect to be disliked at the same level as a club that's put in decades of work being unpleasant and arrogant.

You don’t hate Liverpool, you may dislike them but you don’t hate them. If you hated them you’d want them to lose everything going.

Btw people like you were saying the same before Istanbul “no problem Milan will dispatch them and it’ll be funnier losing in the final”

Ronaldo and Messi disagree

That Bayern side played nothing like a Mourinho side. They pressed hard and high up the pitch. They were much closer to a Klopp side.

Who said they played 'like a Mourinho side'? The point was that brand of football is completely irrelevant in the CL. Many different styles have performed well in the CL.

- Real Madrid: no specific brand, highly adaptable. Can dominate possession with their midfielders and stretch defences with their fullbacks. Can defend with their backs to the wall and counter attack with lethal attackers like Bale and Ronaldo.

- Atletico Madrid: Highly defensive with a hint of counter attacking. Have regularly parked the bus and gotten to two CL finals. The most similar to a Mourinho team.

- Juventus: Classical Italian team, turns the game into a chess match. Will often play 2 or 3 different tactical systems within the same game to try to solve the problems within the game. Have gotten to 2 CL finals.

The winners of the CL don't need to limit themselves to 'brand of football'. They have the quality and experience to play many brands of football; hence why they are so difficult to beat. They are good at everything.

Hi everyone,

Newbie on this forum here (been reading for some time). United supporter from Germany.

Being not from the UK never fully got the animosity against Liverpool. Grew up more with the Arsenal rivalry.

Currently in the CL:
Don't wanna see Real win again. (Really dislike them somehow)
Cannot stand to see Barca with their holier than you attitude win it.
And currently hating plastic City and all they stand for most (also not a big fan of Pep since his Barca days).
Being from Germany where all neutrals hate Bayern with passion, no way I'll root for the Bauern.
So Liverpool is the team for me in the CL. (Also been a Klopp fan since Mainz days)

I think if you are not from the UK its hard to hate Liverpool. Players and coach come over quite likeable (how can you not like Salah?), their football is some of the most entertaining in Europe. Feels like the Dortmund side couple years ago.
And looking from far it's the club most similar to United left in the competition. (Guess the hatred comes from the strong similarities. Bit like why Germany-Holland have a rivalry).

So the current Pool really is an Ersatzdroge for United in the CL.
My 2 cents. Please don't hate ;)

That's true but there is a distinct chance that Liverpool will field a midfield of Milner, Wjinaldum and Ox in the second leg due to Henderson being unavailable and Can and Lallana being still injured. Maybe it's not over. That midfield seems very average and won't be able to disrupt city's play or protect the defence sufficiently well. If both Salah and Can are fully fit though, it's a huge task and only referee mistakes or a silly red card could bring City back in the game.
Yeah, I know what you mean, if City come out firing and get an early goal then they still have a chance, but I'd say there is a fair chance Liverpool will score also. It's not dead, but I can't see City winning by enough to take the tie, although I hope they do. Liverpool are very average in midfield as you say, particularly with the players they have unavailable. I'd also speculate that City can't possibly play as badly in the next game as they did on Wednesday. As regards, Emre Can there was a piece on BBC Sport website saying he is doubtful for the rest of the season and even the World Cup.

Milan team: Dida, Cafu, Maldini, stam, Nesta, Pirlo, Gattuso, Seedorf, Kaka, schevchenko, Crespo

Look at that side ffs

Madrid and Barca can be beaten, especially if they are over reliant on a certain 2 players

You are right that Milan team is phenomenal. I had to actually count the players thinking you might have just pulled out stars. That is literally 11 world class players. They really fcuked up and thought they had already won. Completely took their eye off the ball.

From that list Dida is probably the only one who wouldn't replace someone in our current team. When you look at it like that is really puts perspective on where we are.

Actually this is thread worthy.....!

You are right that Milan team is phenomenal. I had to actually count the players thinking you might have just pulled out stars. That is literally 11 world class players. They really fcuked up and thought they had already won. Completely took their eye off the ball.

From that list Dida is probably the only one who wouldn't replace someone in our current team. When you look at it like that is really puts perspective on where we are.

Actually this is thread worthy.....!

3-0 up in first half, became arrogant and lost it. It’s 11v11 at the end of the day, togetherness and teamwork can go a long way

Exactly - city winning is a minor annoyance; they’re a nothing club, no history. Anyone thinking otherwise is probably a kid who doesn’t get real rivalry

Liverpool winning, well that’s the stuff of nightmares really! 6 times la! We’re better than you, we’ve more trophies la. 26 years l
Wankers

I feel that since City were bought out, similarly to when Chelsea were bought, there was always a sense of inevitability about them winning everything. I suppose in a sense we've been quite fortunate that they haven't really looked like doing so in Europe so far. If City win it, we just shrug and point at the vast sums of money they've spent on getting to where they are, and then to our own full trophy cabinet. If Liverpool win it, the only thing we have is suggesting they fluked it, which they won't care about, and as you say, it'll be all "6 times" for the next 20 years regardless of what they do (or don't do) domestically.

I think of the 4 sides going into the second leg behind, City are the most likely to make the semi-finals, but I still can't really see it. They're just as likely to go through after winning 4-0 as they are to end up shipping another 3. I'm just not convinced this City side truly has the backbone to stand up and fight with their backs against the wall because it's something they simply haven't experienced.

3-0 up in first half, became arrogant and lost it. It’s 11v11 at the end of the day, togetherness and teamwork can go a long way
Don’t forget Gattuso touching the trophy when walking into the tunnel at half time. He must have cursed them or something.

I enjoy seeing city lose, and I enjoy seeing Liverpool lose.

Too many people get caught up on 'wanting Liverpool' to win' I could not give a flying toss about Pool or City winning, but if either team lose am I not allowed to take satisfaction in that.
The best scenario is City go through, but the games warrant football bans across all competitions, for all players on both teams. But, I will smile when i see Pep on the losing end of a score line, equally so if i see Klopp on one.

Pep just got hammered 3-0 by Klopp and has a dire UCl away record. Does this imply that Pep hasn't evolved yet?

In your mind, if a coach doesn't play attacking football, he's outdated and hasn't evolved. The reason why Pep and Jose are successful is because they have absolute faith in their methods. A weaker coach would have just altered their approach in the face of criticism and pressure.

You are crazy. City are having a historical season in the Prem. It was one of only 4 defeats they have had all season! 4! Some trams have issues with vertain teams. Liverpool havw their number. We have become a club that doesn't play good football and doesn't win enough to justify the approach. Your logic is lacking. Liverpool's midfield is garbage and tore City to pieces. When Mourinho puts in a performance like that in a free flowing system then we can talk. He is a hindrance right now
Not the solution.

Apologies if this hurts the feelings of United 'fans' but I hope City trash these bastards 5-0.

Status
Not open for further replies.