Cheering on Liverpool - 2017/18 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghagua

It hurts to say it, but Liverpool are one of 2 teams capable of beating City like that. That was an excellent result for them. They did all this without a team full of "world Class" players, and a history of failure in Europe recently. Shows you what a well coached attacking team can do.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I strongly disagree with you. When I was at growing up at school, you were either a Red or a blue and never the twain shall meet, no one was much interested in other teams. I remember there was this boy at school from London, who spoke in a weird accent that we had never heard before, and when he said he supported Chelsea, we were like, who?
I grew up in Manchester (born 64) and there wasn't a hatred between United and City. I even went to a few City home games when I was young as we rarely had home games on the same weekend.

An utter hatred of Liverpool FC was part of everyone's DNA and still should be.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Someone said the same to me earlier in the thread. I wanted Liverpool to win the tie because City have a better shot of beating whichever 3 teams remain, IMO.
Who cares? If City win the CL it doesn't matter to me. I want Liverpool relegated and preferably disbanded.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I grew up in Manchester (born 64) and there wasn't a hatred between United and City. I even went to a few City home games when I was young as we rarely had home games on the same weekend.

I was coerced into going to Maine Road once, would have been mid 80s, we sat in a stand behind the goal which was virtually empty. Plus ca change, and all that.

rique_don

Totally agree. For all stylistic faults, he'd at least have given his team a chance in the return leg.

In an alternate reality if Mourinho managed any of the pending semi-finalists (Barcelona, Bayern, Liverpool and Real Madrid) they'd be my pick to win the whole thing.
Your alternate reality is horribly skewed. Mourinho is no longer that Manager. The issue isn't about squad. It's about approach and he's behind these managers. He hasn't evolved. This is the man that continued to be outsmarted in semi finals with Real.

rique_don

How difficult is it to understand that maybe it is in our best interest if Liverpool won a particular tie, as long as they don't win a trophy?

I don't want Liverpool to win the CL, obviously. But I don't want City to win it either. Of the two of them City have a better chance of beating Bayern/Barca/Madrid, so it makes sense if you'd rather Liverpool went through now, and lost to them later.
Exactly. Simple, really.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
Would love to see Real in Liverpool in semis and Liverpool fans showing them 5 times, la. Then Ronaldo scores hattricck and takes his blue shirt off only to show United shirt under...
Anyway, you know Klopp always loses finals? No worries here.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies

I was speaking to a guy the other day who was born a few years before you who said he had a season ticket at both United and City in the sixties. He'd go to Old Trafford the one week and then to Maine Road with all his City supporting mates the following week. Apparently it was very common. Sounds crazy to imagine that happening today.

manunited1919

I get it that Wibble and many United fans hate Liverpool. I didn’t grow up in Manchester, but I still hate Liverpool.

The only difference is that I also hate City just as much. And, I see City as more of a threat to us and our franchise, because they are able to retain their best players and spare no expense to try and improve their team. Ever since they put up that Tevez poster in front of Old Trafford, it is obvious they have been trying to “knock us off our perch”. That’s their real aim.

I also cannot stand Pep, and I want him to eat some humble pie. As opposed to Pep, Klopp is not a hateable character, he is more a clown than anything else.

Kapardin

It hurts to say it, but Liverpool are one of 2 teams capable of beating City like that. That was an excellent result for them. They did all this without a team full of "world Class" players, and a history of failure in Europe recently. Shows you what a well coached attacking team can do.
Only consolation is that they still have feck all to show for it, while we have some minor trophies.

But yes, that Sevilla defeat is a kick in the guts when Liverpool are likely qualifying for SFs. I would have accepted us going out in the QF to Bayern, but this Ro16 elimination still rankles and refuses to go away. All Jose's fault and he is mumbling some nonsense about heritage to deflect.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I see your point, but City have shown a dominance and consistency to suggest this year they are a bigger threat to winning the CL. Liverpool are the only team to really have one over Pep, whereas Pool are way less consistent so are more likely to screw up one round.

Its not to say they don't have a chance or can raise their game, of course any team in it could win it, but on balance of probabilities I'd rather odds on Liverpool screwing up semi or final, vs. City
I guess I hate Liverpool more than you. The thought of listening to them is sickening
It’s only a matter of time before pep gets tired and walks away - city are a temporary. There’s no way they’re creating a rich history like ours or indeed Liverpool. People take city too serious because of the money and pep but they’re really not all that. Liverpool are tickling the balls of being back, don’t really want them to go full on hand job

Fridge chutney

Do your best.
Yes I cheered when Liverpool scored yesterday. I'm not proud of it, but at least I'm honest.

There I said it, hurl your petty insults, I can take it!
Honestly can't wrap my head around how a "United fan" can cheer Liverpool scoring.

It's one thing to hope one loses more than the other. But to cheer Liverpool? Cannot comprehend.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I was speaking to a guy the other day who was born a few years before you who said he had a season ticket at both United and City in the sixties. He'd go to Old Trafford the one week and then to Maine Road with all his City supporting mates the following week. Apparently it was very common. Sounds crazy to imagine that happening today.
My next door neighbour was a city fan and he took me to Maine Road when United weren't at home in the early/mid 70's. There wasn't much more than a friendly rivalry the in my experience.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I was coerced into going to Maine Road once, would have been mid 80s, we sat in a stand behind the goal which was virtually empty. Plus ca change, and all that.
I went mainly about a decade earlier when City were still a decent team and got good crowds.

Strachans Cigar

Don’t know what would be worse.

Liverpool winning the league again after so long waiting.

Or a 6th CL.

Either scenario is a fecking insufferable nightmare for a United fan surely.

Any sane United fan should want LFC out of the running for everything ASAP.

Who gives a feck about City in comparison? Absolute joke outfit regardless of what they win.

United_We_Stand

Do you want Liverpool to progress in CL (before losing 2-5 on aggregate to Madrid in the semis), or do you want City to win CL?

It's a really easy choice for me.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
In an alternate reality if Mourinho managed any of the pending semi-finalists (Barcelona, Bayern, Liverpool and Real Madrid) they'd be my pick to win the whole thing.
Mourinho has failed time and time again in the Champions League since 2010.

Lost to Bayern in 2012 when Real were favourites
Lost to Dortmund in 2013 when Real were favourites
Lost to a 10 man PSG in 2015 with Chelsea
Lost to Sevilla in 2018 when United were favourites

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Mourinho has failed time and time again in the Champions League since 2010.

Lost to Bayern in 2012 when Real were favourites
Lost to Dortmund in 2013 when Real were favourites
Lost to Atletico in 2014
Lost to a 10 man PSG in 2015 with Chelsea
Lost to Sevilla in 2018 when United were favourites
Fixed

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
I didn’t think that losing to Atletico in 2014 was particularly bad because Atletico won La Liga that season. They were obviously a strong team.

It’s been nearly a decade since Mourinho last had an impressive Champions League campaign. His brand of football doesn’t win you this competition anymore.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
LOL

No team has been able to win the CL without Ronaldo or Messi since Bayern Munich, who play a counter attacking brand of football. Before that was Chelsea who parked the bus on their way to the CL with destiny on their side.

Brand of Football is meaningless in the CL, it's all about team quality, experience and luck.

Maybe a Barcelona supporter would admit that Guardiola has also not won the CL in 7 going on 8 years, is his brand of football also not able to win the competition?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I didn’t think that losing to Atletico in 2014 was particularly bad because Atletico won La Liga that season. They were obviously a strong team.

It’s been nearly a decade since Mourinho last had an impressive Champions League campaign. His brand of football doesn’t win you this competition anymore.
The manner in which Mourinho refused to go for the win at Stamford Bridge was notable.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
I don't mind ties like yesterday.

I'm less interested in who wins than revelling in the misery of the loser.

Regardless of who progresses, I'll feel the same about the semi's, and I'll revel in either of them having their arses handed to them by whoever they face.

I think there's more chance of that happening with Liverpool going through than City, so I'm not really fussed about Liverpool progressing.

If anything the optimism created by them beating City will make their eventual dismantling even sweeter.

Last edited:

Retrokicks

I don't mind ties like yesterday.

I'm less interested in who wins than revelling in the misery of the loser.

Regardless of who progresses, I'll feel the same about the semi's, and I'll revel in either of them having their arses handed to them by whoever they face.

I think there's more chance of that happening with Liverpool going through than City, so I'm not really fussed about Liverpool progressing.

If anything the optimism created by them beating City will make their eventual dismantling even sweeter.
To be fair nobody, not even their supporters, expects Liverpool to actually win the CL. The fact they've made the semis is a fabulous achievement, especially if it's backed up with CL football next season (looks likely).

Could make them very dangerous in the semis, as they've got nothing to lose.

OldSchoolManc

Chuck them out for the disgusting riot scenes involving the City bus.
Liverpool, more than any other team, should show respect.
Absolutely disgraceful.

UDontMessWith24

The worst thing about this is scousers think this was all due to "Anfield magic" even though Guardiola routinely s***ts all over himself in CL knockout away games.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
To be fair nobody, not even their supporters, expects Liverpool to actually win the CL. The fact they've made the semis is a fabulous achievement, especially if it's backed up with CL football next season (looks likely).

Could make them very dangerous in the semis, as they've got nothing to lose.
As fabulous an achievement, and will be remembered with the same fondness, as them nearly winning the league in 2014.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Do you want Liverpool to progress in CL (before losing 2-5 on aggregate to Madrid in the semis), or do you want City to win CL?

It's a really easy choice for me.
As if those are the only two choices. Liverpool are a CL contender just like City were until their poor showing. There will soon be 4 teams in the competition with each having a shot at the big prize. This pretence that Liverpool have to go out in the semis (just like everyone felt they had to lose the quarters) is pure delusion.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
No team has been able to win the CL without Ronaldo or Messi since Bayern Munich, who play a counter attacking brand of football. Before that was Chelsea who parked the bus on their way to the CL with destiny on their side.

Brand of Football is meaningless in the CL, it's all about team quality, experience and luck.
That Bayern side played nothing like a Mourinho side. They pressed hard and high up the pitch. They were much closer to a Klopp side.

Water Melon

Exactly. We are all laughing here at Pep for messing up with City against Pool, we are laughing at Klopp for winning feck all in CL, but with resources that Mou has had he has done much worse since after his Inter days. That is why you still see people hailing him for Porto and Inter times, while after that for nearly a decade he kept bottling at the biggest stage having managed teams with very strong squads and plenty of money. This season was the most spectacular bottling job against Sevilla. If I was to pick amoung Pep, Klopp, Simeone, Heynckes, Mourinho, Poch, Zizou, Jose would be my last choice. Here's hoping he proves me wrong next season, and I will be really glad to admit that I was too rush and harsh to judge him. At the end of the day we support United and whoever brings us trophies and success should be managing our great club.

SwSw

Your alternate reality is horribly skewed. Mourinho is no longer that Manager. The issue isn't about squad. It's about approach and he's behind these managers. He hasn't evolved. This is the man that continued to be outsmarted in semi finals with Real.
Pep just got hammered 3-0 by Klopp and has a dire UCl away record. Does this imply that Pep hasn't evolved yet?

In your mind, if a coach doesn't play attacking football, he's outdated and hasn't evolved. The reason why Pep and Jose are successful is because they have absolute faith in their methods. A weaker coach would have just altered their approach in the face of criticism and pressure.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
LOL

Maybe a Barcelona supporter would admit that Guardiola has also not won the CL in 7 going on 8 years, is his brand of football also not able to win the competition?
Bayern played a balanced style of football.. mixture of possession and control for the most part and counter when they needed to. Perfect football side which can't be reduced to just a counter attacking outfit.

Funnily enough for all the stick Pep is getting for his style of football.. he's usually been made to look stupid by sides who end up being more gung ho than his own - Barca (MSN) Monaco and now probably Liverpool. Tactically something isn't quite right with him at the very elite level right now but it's more about how to deal with sides who will take them on that is the issue rather than how to beat a deep set defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.