Cheering on Liverpool - 2017/18 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Any United fan who wants anything other than Liverpool to lose aren't really United fans IMO. More people who quite like the franchise. And the red shirts are nice.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Nah I am not too worried about them. They could have a shot at beating one of the remaining top teams, maybe. I don’t give them a very good chance to beat two of them at all.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I'm not overly concerned, simply can't see them getting the better of Real, Barca or Bayern over 2 legs.

Hopefully Ronaldo gets to rip them a new one. :smirk:

trafford1980

It's crazy really as to how stubborn Pep is.

Jose has already given him the blueprint on to how to easily deal with Liverpool and their style of play (see the total domination at Old Trafford and them failing to even registered a significant strike on target in 90 minutes).

Guess that won't be mentioned though.
Totally agree. For all stylistic faults, he'd at least have given his team a chance in the return leg.

In an alternate reality if Mourinho managed any of the pending semi-finalists (Barcelona, Bayern, Liverpool and Real Madrid) they'd be my pick to win the whole thing.

Mike Smalling

I would have preferred Liverpool to lose, but obviously I don't want to see City lifting the trophy either. This result could work out OK, given that Liverpool, in my opinion, would stand less of a chance in a semi-final than City would.

Should they against all odds make it to Kiev, Klopp's record in finals would put me at ease. Five defeats in a row is terrible statistic and speaks to his inability to adjust his team's tactics for a specific game/opponent.

LisburnWhite

Any United fan who wants anything other than Liverpool to lose aren't really United fans IMO. More people who quite like the franchise. And the red shirts are nice.
Am probably going to get into trouble for criticising a staff member but this is a really unfair comment.
I wanted the dippers to win last night for reasons quoted by many others in this forum such as they will have a better chance of getting knocked out in the next round than citeh and at least they are a proper self sustained club. This doesn't mean that I don't hate them and i do want them to fail miserably but logic would dictate and statistics would back it up that for both clubs to drop out it would be better for the dippers to win this battle but ultimately lose the war against a defensively capable team.
I am not a red because of the franchise and the nice shirt but because that is in my blood and from my father before me. I am 49 years old and first started following when United had dropped into Division 2. I travel a 600 mile round trip from N.Ireland to watch the reds at considerable cost every year and I sing my heart out at every match I attend so IMO I am a real United fan.
For some you would almost think they value liverpool losing over what is better for United. I think for the reasons above that we should begrudgingly let them have this victory others think differently, fair play its about opinions but surely both sides have valid arguments but both can be real supporters.

Reactions: esmufc07

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
How difficult is it to understand that maybe it is in our best interest if Liverpool won a particular tie, as long as they don't win a trophy?

I don't want Liverpool to win the CL, obviously. But I don't want City to win it either. Of the two of them City have a better chance of beating Bayern/Barca/Madrid, so it makes sense if you'd rather Liverpool went through now, and lost to them later.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I wanted Liverpool for the sole reason I don’t think they will win it whereas I think city have a better chance.

ChrisNelson

It's the lesser of 2 evils as far as I'm concerned. City have already won the PL twice and as long as the money men stick around will probably win the UCL at some point within the next 5 years, assuming they don't dig themselves out of the massive hole they've created in the quarter-final.

So they're already a bit of a juggernaut and it's difficult to see them slowing down anytime soon. Liverpool however have never won the PL title and Istanbul is starting to look a distant memory. I'm quite happy for City to pick up the odd trophy as long as misery continues to be piled on Liverpool. Hopefully Salah is having such a good season he will become the next Coutinho. I'm also already on countdown to the 2019 African Cup Of Nations :).

Andy_Cole

Watched the game with two Liverpool fans who were still complaining about the manner of our win. They were fuming yesterday when I kept congratulating them and saying Jose would’ve been proud of that. I said it was ‘total control’ and that it was a carbon copy of the United vs Liverpool game.

I’ve never winded them up as much as that. Ruined a 3-0 win for them!

midnightmare

Fecking hate the bin-dippers. Pep's an utter and complete cnut too and I dislike him immensely (as too City), but he's not Liverpool or Klopp, so not as bad. Hope Ronaldo rips a new one on whoever goes through. Can't get why anyone would want Liverpool to win though. Genuinely. There's not a single thing that you could say to me to make me change my opinion on this.

raphe brown

I wanted Liverpool for the sole reason I don’t think they will win it whereas I think city have a better chance.
Couldn't have put that any better, my opinion is the exact same, that does not make me a bad United fan. Simply city go through they have a better chance of winning the competition than Liverpool.

Last edited by a moderator:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
How difficult is it to understand that maybe it is in our best interest if Liverpool won a particular tie, as long as they don't win a trophy?

I don't want Liverpool to win the CL, obviously. But I don't want City to win it either. Of the two of them City have a better chance of beating Bayern/Barca/Madrid, so it makes sense if you'd rather Liverpool went through now, and lost to them later.
What is this based on exactly ? What has City done in Europe, in recent years to make you think they'd have more chances than Liverpool against those teams. What they have been doing in the PL is irrelevant

Addictive

Supports
Liverpool
I want Barca or Madrid next (providing we go through) I think we could definitely do them over two legs.
Barca especially, knocking out Suarez and Coutiniho would be sweet.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I hope City get a 3-0 win in the return leg, and then during extra time a UEFA executive rushes onto the pitch shouting “Stop the match!!! We’ve flipped a coin in the office and decided that Juve are going through instead!”

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I strongly disagree with you. When I was at growing up at school, you were either a Red or a blue and never the twain shall meet, no one was much interested in other teams. I remember there was this boy at school from London, who spoke in a weird accent that we had never heard before, and when he said he supported Chelsea, we were like, who?

Drifter

American
Title must be misleading. It says United fans want the dippers to progress in the CL?.

Treble

Like it or not, the point that Liverpool are far more lkely to crash out in the semis is sound. Everything went for them last night. It won't be the same vs Real, Barca, Bayern.

SirAF

Ageist
I hope City get a 3-0 win in the return leg, and then during extra time a UEFA executive rushes onto the pitch shouting “Stop the match!!! We’ve flipped a coin in the office and decided that Juve are going through instead!”
That would be the optimal result.

dannofdawn

I know we're supposed to hate Liverpool more, but feck City and their Arab money. Liverpool hasn't achieved anything in years and isn't really any threat to us for major titles, I'm more than okay to see City get knocked off their perch for a bit, even if it means Liverpool winning a 2 leg tie. The last thing I want to see this season is seeing Pep guide City to the league title in flying colours AND do well in the UCL. Liverpool won't make it past next round anyway.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I loathe Liverpool. There is literally no team I’d want to win the CL or PL less. Despite this, City going out is a better result. They have the quality to possibly win the thing, whereas Liverpool will definitely get mugged off by the Spaniards later in the tournament. Yesterday was a good result.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Someone said the same to me earlier in the thread. I wanted Liverpool to win the tie because City have a better shot of beating whichever 3 teams remain, IMO.

minoo-utd

Exactly this. Liverpool finish City off, Klopp can not win finals. Fixed, plus IMO if any of them meet with Barca or Real they will be knocked out, as I hated the dominance of Spanish clubs but feck it.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Liverpool have done their part and brought City down to earth. Now City need to injure as many Liverpool players as possible in the 2nd leg and everything will have gone as I scripted it.

Darkhorsez

It’s more a generational difference. Some know the historical context of the rivalry and also suffered through their period of dominance. And some started supporting us during SAF and our period of success and more globalization of our club’s following.

Trikie

Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool have done their part and brought City down to earth. Now City need to injure as many Liverpool players as possible in the 2nd leg and everything will have gone as I scripted it.
Nice, nothing like wishing for players to get injured.

Personally last night went beyond my wildest dreams. I thought we had a chance to win the game but thought it would be a lot tighter and I definitely wasn't expecting a clean sheet (almost worth a goal in itself). I am sure City will win the return leg but I can see us getting that all important away goal or maybe even two. After that who knows what will happen. As for all the talk that we will get smashed by whoever we meet (should we get there) maybe but the same was being said about facing City.
Proud of the boys last night not just the goals but the way we defended as well. Big shout out to the two young full backs

Based on last nights game and what they will have to do next week, What effect do you think that will have on Pep's team selection for the weekend game against United if any?

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
Interesting to see how this played out. Gonna make the 2nd leg interesting. I can see City getting 3 or maybe even 4, but don't see them keeping the clean sheet. Might actually be a fun one to watch.

To be fair red is clearly the best colour for a football shirt and Liverpool to wear it too, it's sort of fate.

I also completely couldn't have given a crap either way. While Liverpool are obviously our rivals, I don't want to see any team who've simply bought their status do well either.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
Based on last nights game and what they will have to do next week, What effect do you think that will have on Pep's team selection for the weekend game against United if any?
That's a tricky one. On one hand he may want to get a 1 up on Jose by going for it as much as he can and rubbung our noses in it by lifting the trophy at OT. But I'd have thought he'd have the sense to know the league is in the bag and they can't take any risks for the pool game, so common sense would say he'd rest most of the first team against us.

That said if he plays a b team on Saturday, we win, then pool knock them out of the CL and the league race goes on to the last couple of weeks due to loss of momentum that would be a dream end to the season right now.

He won't want to lose at the weekend though. So while it probably won't be a full team, they have the depth for serious rotation and still be able to field a team which we're gonna struggle against.

Besides, isn't he a genius or something? A genius doesn't need a super squad to win a game so he shouldn't be too afraid.

Sylar

Need Liverpool to get Madrid next round. Ronaldo peaking again at the right time for their CL run.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Fecking hate the bin-dippers. Pep's an utter and complete cnut too and I dislike him immensely (as too City), but he's not Liverpool or Klopp, so not as bad. Hope Ronaldo rips a new one on whoever goes through. Can't get why anyone would want Liverpool to win though. Genuinely. There's not a single thing that you could say to me to make me change my opinion on this.
Exactly this. As much as I despise the Guardiola-fawning sporting media and online fora, the Scousers are in a totally separate dimension in terms of hatred and last night's result was stomach-turning. If there is a God, please allow City score six unanswered goals in the return leg. That's all we ask.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The last thing I want to do is blow smoke up Klopp's arse (because I think he's a knob and I fecking despise the club he manages) but watching the Ox, Henderson and Milner completely dominate central midfield for the first 45 minutes did make me depressed about how we've entered a perennial cycle where the only way to get us to the next level is to buy new players. I mean, the caf consensus until very recently was that all three of them are useless. Remember when we destroyed Arsenal with Rafael playing in central midfield? I miss those days. I fecking hate being the sort of fan who thinks that the best way to fix their team is with a shopping list for the summer. Is it too much to ask for us to get some of the players already in our squad to punch way above their weight like Milner et al did last night?

OneFootball

Supports
Liverpool
Interesting to see how this played out. Gonna make the 2nd leg interesting. I can see City getting 3 or maybe even 4, but don't see them keeping the clean sheet. Might actually be a fun one to watch.

To be fair red is clearly the best colour for a football shirt and Liverpool to wear it too, it's sort of fate.

I also completely couldn't have given a crap either way. While Liverpool are obviously our rivals, I don't want to see any team who've simply bought their status do well either.
It will be good to watch. I dont feel that 3 is enough for us and so we need an away goal - 1 anyway. That should test City’s resolve. I agree with many posts here, Liverpool are less likely to win CL than City and so a City elimination now probably suits you guys better. But anything is possible in football and a probably Liverpool in the semi’s of CL means that we will have a real chance though we will be underdogs. We’ll need to get some breaks(like we did last night, like we haven’t had in the PL) But we can win it.
Also on a side issue, last nights result must suit MUFC as City will now probably rest players for derby and also Mourinho has just seen a blue print on how to beat City!!

Varun

Staff
The last thing I want to do is blow smoke up Klopp's arse (because I think he's a knob and I fecking despise the club he manages) but watching the Ox, Henderson and Milner completely dominate central midfield for the first 45 minutes did make me depressed about how we've entered a perennial cycle where the only way to get us to the next level is to buy new players. I mean, the caf consensus until very recently was that all three of them are useless. Remember when we destroyed Arsenal with Rafael playing in central midfield? I miss those days. I fecking hate being the sort of fan who thinks that the best way to fix their team is with a shopping list for the summer. Is it too much to ask for us to get some of the players already in our squad to punch way above their weight like Milner et al did last night?
Not at all. You'd think improving what is at his disposal is pretty much a given when it comes to the manager's job but we have this weird line of thought some have where that doesnt come into consideration at all. Some even go to the extent of saying Jose can only be judged when at least 8 players in the starting 11 are guys he's bought. Imagine that, how detached from reality does one have to be to think a club needs to give every manager an entire new team basically before starting to judge them.

Status
Not open for further replies.