Casemiro (Out)

I don't get the hate for Casemiro.

He had a great first season with some ups and downs. The second season is hard to judge as no player really stood out positively.

If he leaves and we can get a younger midfielder, fine, but I wouldn't consider him a failure or a bad signing.
The reason he has to go will largely be due to finances. He was brought in for £70m and he's on ~£300k a week. If Saudi offer us an out on a player who is 32 years old and clearly depreciating, we'd be silly not to take them up on that offer.

He had a good first season but the second was complete chaos. It might have been partly a tactical issue with the manager asking to do things he shouldn't have been, but it looked as though Casemiro felt he had free rein to do what he wanted. He no longer held his position and spent the season trying to play Hollywood passes instead of playing the simple game that made him so good in his Madrid days. I think it's better for everyone if he moves on.

We probably do a classic ManUnited and don’t sell anyone again. Our bench will still have Scottyboy, old Case, Johnny E and Co
I too make up fantasy scenarios to wind myself up.

No hate from me (and I'd hope many). Clear drop off in form and think we can all agree he's not going to get back to his world class form due to age/fitness, but was amazing to see him strut his stuff in his first season here.

Yeah, probably not, but if we manage to dominate games more, he could still contribute, in my opinion.

His passing range surprised me the most, as I didn't follow Madrid too closely and always thought he was more of a player for the dirty work.

I don’t see any reason for hate. He wasn’t found lacking in effort or application. But I disagree that the second season was difficult to judge. He was objectively terrible. Mainoo and Bruno were good, so it wasn’t impossible to perform let alone not be terrible. But basically, age caught up with him as it often does - rapidly.

With all that was going on, I am willing to give every player a second chance under steady leadership, but I agree that age and injuries seem to have taken a toll on him.

But yeah, if a good offer comes in, we should definitely take it.

I was against his signing because of his age, but he won me over quickly, as he did with most people here. Maybe I'm a bit in denial that it was over so quickly. ;-)

There’s no hate anywhere, there’s just disappointment at his sudden decline over the last 18 months and recognition that we can’t carry him for 2 more seasons.

He had a great first season with some ups and downs. The second season is hard to judge as no player really stood out positively.

If he leaves and we can get a younger midfielder, fine, but I wouldn't consider him a failure or a bad signing.

I think most people hate the signing, not the player.

He’s an absolute class act and we got to see that in his first season, and if he had continued a similar level of form then things would be quite different of course. But his big drop off paired with his super high contract make him an easy target to offload as part of the rebuild.

If we could guarantee that he would be back to his 1st season performances next year I would love to keep him around. But it’s high unlikely he’ll reverse his form trend as he gets a year older.

The reason he has to go will largely be due to finances. He was brought in for £70m and he's on ~£300k a week. If Saudi offer us an out on a player who is 32 years old and clearly depreciating, we'd be silly not to take them up on that offer.

He had a good first season but the second was complete chaos. It might have been partly a tactical issue with the manager asking to do things he shouldn't have been, but it looked as though Casemiro felt he had free rein to do what he wanted. He no longer held his position and spent the season trying to play Hollywood passes instead of playing the simple game that made him so good in his Madrid days. I think it's better for everyone if he moves on.
Apart from finances, I also think the tension between him and ten Hag brewed over last season and will probably do so again if he stays, as I don't think he fancies him first choice DM anymore.

According to Amrabat's brother on Dutch TV, Casemiro was told he wouldn't be starting in the FA Cup final so he just decided to not be in the squad entirely. No injury, or anything. I think Amrabat's brother backtracked a little seeing how much buzz the story got, but it wouldn't surprise me if true.

In addition, there were tweets around the time that Ten Hag looked likely to be getting the chop that players like Varane and Casemiro were questioning his methods and philosophy, citing successes under managers like Ancelotti et al. at Madrid who coached them with far more autonomy.

Only way I see him staying is if they've both had a chat behind the scenes and apologies have been made.

I don’t see any reason for hate. He wasn’t found lacking in effort or application. But I disagree that the second season was difficult to judge. He was objectively terrible. Mainoo and Bruno were good, so it wasn’t impossible to perform let alone not be terrible. But basically, age caught up with him as it often does - rapidly.
But he has. His approach was shocking at times last season and he hardly ran anymore. It is time to leave

Let's fecking go! Hope for some decent money here if we could get 30M EUR + 50% sellon for fecking Greenwood.

50M and we need to build statues for our new leadership outside OT

In FFP terms, selling Casemiro for his current book value (~£31m) would free up financial room of ~£34m a year. For comparison, that’s around two Højlunds

Played a blinder with this if it goes through. If we had acted first and offered him out, there would have been no fee. The posture and sense that it’s business as usual will get us a good fee.

Casemiro’s exit is probably key to our summer spending plans. Get a decent enough fee to negate his remaining book value and get his wages off the payroll. The savings will pave the way for two midfielders to come in. Ugarte plus one more. That will be transformative to our squad.

We’ve shifted Varane, Martial and VdB off the wage bill, and it seems like we are brining in De Ligt and Zirkee at reasonable fees on lower wages, so the recalibration of the squad is going very well so far.

If we can shift Sancho, along with the fee and savings from moving on Greenwood, that should pave the way for another player, whether it be a forward or defender. I would personally love to see us bring in someone like Kadioglu who can cover multiple positions at a very high level.

I wasn’t sure what to expect at the start of this summer but I can easily see it being one where we have 7-8 players going out and 5-7 coming in. All while cost cutting.

Out: Varane, Martial (released), VdB, Amrabat (loan ended), Greeenwood, Sancho, Casemiro.

Potential outs: Lindelof, Wan-Bissaka, Eriksen

In: De Ligt, Branthwaite, Ugarte, Zirkzee, another CM.

Potential in: Kadioglu or Other RB/LB, Yoro, versatile forward (young).

The next few weeks will be interesting. Tying up deals for Casemiro and Sancho will be key.

I wouldn't have minded Case as a squad option (not sure he liked that...) but it's too high a price for it. If we can find a solution to move him and offset his book value it's probably for the best.

I wouldn't have minded Case as a squad option (not sure he liked that...) but it's too high a price for it. If we can find a solution to move him and offset his book value it's probably for the best.

He clearly didn't want that because he faked an injury to get out of the FA cup final when it became clear that he was going to get benched by Amrabat. Screw respecting other club's legends. RM can respect him, we need to be brutal here.

Anything in the region of 30m would be a great deal. The middle Eastern clubs aren't likely to splash the cash like they did that first summer, and though he has more star power than Fabinho I expect his wages are much higher.

Faked an injury when he found out he wasn’t starting the final?

Have Saudi many any big moves this summer yet? Can’t think of any.

Can see them coming later in the window for Casemiro with a more modest fee.

More likely the case that he doesn't want to go. There have 100% been offers for him. If he feels he still has something to prove, maybe we can get a decent season out of him.
What's he got to prove, that he can win the europa? No club will match his wages and like Sancho, he will sit there and happily collect his wages until his contract runs out.

What's he got to prove, that he can win the europa? No club will match his wages and like Sancho, he will sit there and happily collect his wages until his contract runs out.

I'm merely speculating but maybe he wants to prove that he's still a world class footballer. i do wonder how he feels about his performance last season, there's every possibility that he wants to put that right. The offers he's had rule out any question of purely financial motivation.

I'm not hostile to Case being in the team, if he can squeeze a decent season. We absolutely need to get another DM to rotate with him and ideally the future, regardless.

Also and I may be mistaken here, isn't he one of a the few players that looks like an actual threat on our set up pieces ? That's definitely something that needs a little sorting by Ten Hag.

I think he's a good player, but he's mentally checked out of having to play with the likes of McT as a partner, having to do defensive and link up work for 2 while the other one has set up a stall in the opponents area.

Have Saudi many any big moves this summer yet? Can’t think of any.

Can see them coming later in the window for Casemiro with a more modest fee.

Saudi transfer window opened yesterday. Will probably pick up.

I think he's a good player, but he's mentally checked out of having to play with the likes of McT as a partner, having to do defensive and link up work for 2 while the other one has set up a stall in the opponents area.
I’m hoping if we can’t offload him that we’re still able to sign a replacement and his form might return slightly if he’s a rotation option. Surely a fit Casemiro that isn’t playing 60 games a season can’t be as bad as the one we saw last season?