Carlo Ancelotti | Real Madrid manager

The team is emotionally drained after last year, coach included. They could sack him but I think the next one would find the same indolence.
A good beating against a serious rival would do them good.

On the other hand Tchouameni is not up to the level to run the midfield.

Loosing Kroos and Modric (who's starting to really show his age) will be very hard to compensate, both Tchouameni and Camavinga aren't up to the task so far (Mendy was also terrible yesterday). And I still think adding Mbappé won't do Real any service.

So Real won the Super Cup, they're undefeated and 2nd in the league and have only lost one game this season? Crisis?

Ah I remember those standards at United. Good times.

I agree with carvajal, no point in sacking him, it's a normal comedown after a league+CL double won in difficult circumstances.

It must be age or something, but as time goes by I find all this impatience from fans of an an ultra successful club so undignified. Pull yourselves together people, seriously. Good God.

It must be age or something, but as time goes by I find all this impatience from fans of an an ultra successful club so undignified. Pull yourselves together people, seriously. Good God.

That’s how you stay successful. You start dropping standards and look where that gets you.

That’s how you stay successful. You start dropping standards and look where that gets you.

Exactly. That's actually one of the things that I admire about Real/their fans - they do absolutely not accept anything less than the best. If ETH was at Real he would have been hounded out ages ago.

There’s no tactical solution he can come up with to account for no Kroos
Is the same thing happening with them that happened with us, has signing mbappe effected there chemistry? Like Ronaldo under Ole for us.

There’s no tactical solution he can come up with to account for no Kroos
Carlos has long stopped being a tactical genius. I've seen it at Bayern myself. He's very very good at man management. Even the biggest stars listen to him and he manages to form a united squad. But his approach is simply hero ball: "You are individually better than your opponent. Win your 1-on-1s and you'll score goals."

Carlos has long stopped being a tactical genius. I've seen it at Bayern myself. He's very very good at man management. Even the biggest stars listen to him and he manages to form a united squad. But his approach is simply hero ball: "You are individually better than your opponent. Win your 1-on-1s and you'll score goals."
It worked up until this season! :lol:

Kroos was orchestrating our game; lost that
Individual players aren’t playing to their abilities
Formation blows

Compounding all of that and you get this mess. Fair to say: CL and title are far out of reach. Not sure what he can do to fix it.

He definitely strips football back to basics which is why you sometimes see incredibly shit football but his man management is arguably the best in football so he will get more out of players than any other manager can.

Exactly. That's actually one of the things that I admire about Real/their fans - they do absolutely not accept anything less than the best. If ETH was at Real he would have been hounded out ages ago.
The last 10 years have been the best that most Real Madrid fans will ever witness and the 3 seasons in Carlo's second stint have brought two league+CL doubles. If it were up to the 'high standard' crowd Ancelotti would have been sacked in 2023. Would the last league+CL double have happened? I doubt it.

There are 'high standards' and there is panicking at the first sign of 'adversity'.

Last edited:

The contrast with our fans us staggering.

Loosing Kroos and Modric (who's starting to really show his age) will be very hard to compensate, both Tchouameni and Camavinga aren't up to the task so far (Mendy was also terrible yesterday). And I still think adding Mbappé won't do Real any service.
Perhaps it seems unnecessary due to the immediacy of the Champions League but Mbappé is a great addition.

The problem is fitting 4 up. The midfield is a bit gray but I think that with a balanced, more intense team with defensive intensity it would be very strong.
Or deep down the issue is that we enjoy Xabi Alonso, then Kroos and now Tchouameni, while we make Valverde dizzy with so much change. Is there some top level midfielder with technique and control capacity, ignoring Rodri?

The contrast with our fans us staggering.
I think that there is a happy medium somewhere in between. I love the loyalty our fans show to those wearing our colours and would not want us waving white handkerchiefs after a couple of bad games.

I think that there is a happy medium somewhere in between. I love the loyalty our fans show to those wearing our colours and would not want us waving white handkerchiefs after a couple of bad games.
After a couple games, no. But after a couple seasons, definitely

Doesn’t have to. If he’s in and around the training camp his ego can cause problems. Similar to Ronaldo 2nd spell at us.
The problems are exaggerated.

Here is a comparison between this current season and the last three, after 8 matches:

La Liga:

24/25: 18 points, 17 goals scored, 6 goals conceded, 18.07 xG, 6.97 xGA.
23/24: 21 points, 16 goals scored, 6 goals conceded, 17.39 xG, 11.33 xGA.
22/23: 22 points, 19 goals scored, 7 goals conceded, 19.32 xG, 6.87 xGA.
21/22: 17 points, 22 goals scored, 10 goals conceded, 15.17 xG, 9.26 xGA.

There is little difference in output between this current season and the last three. The best numbers after 8 games were in the 22/23 season which was the worst overall (78 points in La Liga). The other two seasons led to league+CL doubles.

Not to say there aren't some issues, but people need a sense of perspective.

Last edited:
A loss and less-than-satisfactory football is a crisis. There's reason they are the biggest club in the world. These are the standards at the top.

Even if his time there comes to an end, he has been a massive success. Easily in the Top 5 managers of all time for me.

The last 10 years have been the best that most Real Madrid fans will ever witness and the 3 seasons in Carlo's second stint have brought two league+CL doubles. If it were up to the 'high standard' crowd Ancelotti would have been sacked in 2023. Would the last league+CL double have happened? I doubt it.

There are 'high standards' and there is panicking at the first sign of 'adversity'.
Not panicking, just stating what is likely to happen if things don’t pick up. Results but also the level of the team.

You mention the last 10 years and there is precedence there as well.

Carlo got the sack after his second season winning nothing: we were flying but Modric got injured and we know what happened.

Benitez got sacked within 6 months. Zidane took over in January iirc.

Lopetegui was sacked a couple of months in, followed by Solari who subsequently got sacked after the CL debacle. Zidane back again. 3 managed within a season.

We started slow in 22/23 but slowly picked up the pace. Main reason for losing the title. Lost out in the CL against a brilliant City side. Perez was forgiving for his standards here. He fired for less.

Carlo has some credit, but it won’t take long for the fans to start the boo’ing and Perez pulling the Zidane lever yet again.

And yes all of this after a loss in over a year but we haven’t played good at all so far this season. Something needs to happen.

The problem is fitting 4 up. The midfield is a bit gray but I think that with a balanced, more intense team with defensive intensity it would be very strong.
Or deep down the issue is that we enjoy Xabi Alonso, then Kroos and now Tchouameni, while we make Valverde dizzy with so much change. Is there some top level midfielder with technique and control capacity, ignoring Rodri?
Realistically, you have to sell a forward. Mbappe, Vini, Rodrygo and Endrick are all too good to rotate. That can't work in the long run, even with Carlo's people skills.

Edit: it could work if one of them would be a "9" and another one a RW.

To be fair to him, without Kroos and with a declining Modric, this team lacks balance. They have direct players in almost every position. Ancelotti has been all about fielding the right players together and let them do their thing for a long time now but if there's nobody who intuitively controls matches and brings others into play anymore, he can't coach it into them.

But I think Perez is well aware of that. No coincidence that Ancelotti's contract expires in the same year as Alonso's. And the Rodri and Wirtz rumours make perfect sense from that perspective as well. A regista to replace Kroos and an Iniesta type of player for the half spaces to play Vini, Mbappe, etc through

Not panicking, just stating what is likely to happen if things don’t pick up. Results but also the level of the team.
The results are in line with the results from the previous seasons.

It's possible Carlo gets fired, sure. But as the old joke goes, economists have successfully predicted 9 of the last 5 recesssions.

Realistically, you have to sell a forward. Mbappe, Vini, Rodrygo and Endrick are all too good to rotate. That can't work in the long run, even with Carlo's people skills.

Edit: it could work if one of them would be a "9" and another one a RW.
I wasn't even referring to Endrick but to Bellingham in a not so defined attacking position that I think is what suits us. Vini, Bellingham and Mbappe are unbenchable in a top match. I think the option is going to be Rodrygo, who, watching some interviews, seems to be upset with that role.
Maybe Camavinga could play as a false left back to push in the midfield, compensating in some way, but we would lose Mendy, who I personally consider fundamental in the team

The problems are exaggerated.

Here is a comparison between this current season and the last three, after 8 matches:

La Liga:

There is little difference in output between this current season and the last three. The best numbers after 8 games were in the 22/23 season which was the worst overall (78 points in La Liga). The other two seasons led to league+CL doubles.

People simply made up their narrative before he even signed and are desperate for it to be true so will crowbar this 'argument' in every time he or Real are mentioned.

the biggest difference is those previous seasons weren't buoyed by exceptional penalty luck

24/25: NPxG 14.36 NPxGA 6.97
23/24: NPxG 16.65 NPxGA 11.33
22/23: NPxG 16.97 NPxGA 6.13
21/22: NPxG 14.43 NPxGA 8.51

having said that, the result is still right in line with previous seasons. Performances haven't been good, worse overall than previous seasons, but in truth not by that much actually. The big differences are, expectations based on adding Mbappé to this team, and Barcelona having started the season like a house on fire

That horrid performance against Lille should make some people open their eyes about Ancelotti. All Madrid games have been hard to watch so far; not a single good performance. Talking about points won or xG is missing the point. Carlo's past achievements are also irrelevant, we're analysing what we currently see from this team.

The players look tired, mentally drained, and frustrated, only two months into the season. High-level football will always take a toll on players when there's no tactical system in place to protect them. That's why Madrid are in the state they're in, and City can win 6 league titles in a row in the most physical league in the world and still look fresh and hungry the next season.

When the team plays poorly and almost all the players underperform individually, it's on the manager. In this case, there's no structure and style of play, and therefore you have lost players on the pitch, running around aimlessly (Bellingham), expanding a lot of energy for nothing, no control of the games, a lack of ideas, far too many misplaced passes and clumsy first touches, too many backwards and lateral passes and hopeless long balls. You had all that against Lille, a game that is a fair representation of Madrid's season so far IMO.

Missing Kroos isn't a valid excuse. Many teams manage to do more with less. Lille and Stuttgart to name a couple. Lille looked better on the ball yesterday with a kid who had just turned 17 playing in Kroos' position.

Nothing funnier than Madrid fans losing their shit after a couple of bad results. Ancelottie has won everything there's to win for Madrid, he knows what he's doing. It's never going to be great all the time, and it'd be really boring if it did.

A 2-3 year Carlo cycle would be amazing for us. Hope Madrid lose patience and sack him. He would immediately lift the mood and command the respect of the players and we could build on that platform with successive managerial appointments.

He is far and away the best candidate if he is available.

Ancelotti is not what we want/need.

He has no discernable play style but just sets up in a way that the current crop of players are capable of.

This Madrid team formation is hilarious and the squad is outrageously imbalanced.

2 DM's, 2 B2B Mids, 3 LW's, 1 ST, 3 Recognizable CB's, an ageing 40 year old Modric, a number 10 in Guler when Madrid don't play with a 10, and Brahim Diaz.

I don't blame Ancelotti for this, but Perez.

We always look awful at the beginning of every season but right now Bellingham isn't bailing us out and Mbappe hasn't done a lot, in fact one could argue he has disrupted our attack. I wouldn't jump on sacking Ancelotti right now but he needs to be replaced even if he ends up winning the league or UCL.

We always look awful at the beginning of every season but right now Bellingham isn't bailing us out and Mbappe hasn't done a lot, in fact one could argue he has disrupted our attack. I wouldn't jump on sacking Ancelotti right now but he needs to be replaced even if he ends up winning the league or UCL.
I'm just imagining the angry replies someone would get on here if they said a United manager should be sacked even if they win the league/CL

But it wasn’t this bad. Our play has been horrendous and there is seemingly no upward trajectory.

Mbappe has been useless so far. The entire team is struggling really.