Bundesliga 2016/17

Lahm is playing an outstanding season. He benefits from playing in a settled system again. He is making almost every single possible run forward to overlap. He'll leave a massive gap behind.

Can anyone think of other players, who retired, while still being on top of their game?
Cantona

I still think it's a stupid fecking idea of Lahm to retire in summer already. Fulfill your damned contract until 2018. He's not actually declining that noticeably yet.

We'll have a problem and he'll sit at home bored.

I still think it's a stupid fecking idea of Lahm to retire in summer already. Fulfill your damned contract until 2018. He's not actually declining that noticeably yet.

We'll have a problem and he'll sit at home bored.
I truly don't think so. I believe he's doing exactly what he wants, no regrets.

Btw. Robben was absolutely fuming today after being subbed off. He's still got it :lol:

Yeah, I loved that. If he keeps up that hunger he can stay relevant for 3 or 4 more years.

It is Arjen. Van Bommel recently told that he even throws the cards around when he is loosing during card games. He was pissed on Lewy, too, as Lewy was on an ego trip today. But Lewy and him are just two of a kind...

I think that just shows what a close-knit group the Bayern players are. Any other team with a player throwing a strop on the bench and it'd just be awkward.

Regarding Lahm, who knows, he might pull a Scholes and come out of retirement.

Thomas Muller on intentional break: "Comes in a great moment for Bundesliga to recover from the shock of me scoring a goal".

Apparently December the 10th was the last time he has scored.

I think one of the true strengths of Bayern is its team chemistry. Ever since Heynckes they just have a great team spirit. I think it is reasons like this why many players love to play there. This and the club is really managed professionally.

Doubt he will. Has a couple of fingers in several businesses already, and he's not the type to sit still.

I'm sure he will feel the same excitement, tension, and rush of adrenaline entering a business meeting regarding a medicinical self-monitoring online portal as he did entering Allianz Arena for a cup semi.

And I'm sure celebrating the rising sales figures of the wheat brand-chia seed mixture will be as exhilarating and fulfilling as celebrating in front of the Südkurve after a Champions League match.

Yeah I know.

My point is, I can very well imagine that in 10 or 20 years, Lahm will look back and think he should have played professional football for another 1-2-5 years.

I'm sure he will feel the same excitement, tension, and rush of adrenaline entering a business meeting regarding a medicinical self-monitoring online portal as he did entering Allianz Arena for a cup semi.

And I'm sure celebrating the rising sales figures of the wheat brand-chia seed mixture will be as exhilarating and fulfilling as celebrating in front of the Südkurve after a Champions League match.

Well... if that applies to anyone, it would actually be Lahm, wouldn't it?

Well... if that applies to anyone, it would actually be Lahm, wouldn't it?
:lol:

You might have a point.

Anyway, it's fruitless speculating about personal feelings, thoughts and attitudes as I did above. Might as well if he stayed playing he might later rue not having spent more time with his kids when they were little or something.

Still, he's retiring very early, and at a point where he's still performing as a top player. For a career which is already short by design, he shortens it further without apparent necessity.

Ultimately, I'm just having a tiny bit of a hard time picturing us without him next season. :(

Yeah I know.

My point is, I can very well imagine that in 10 or 20 years, Lahm will look back and think he should have played professional football for another 1-2-5 years.

It doesn't really matter. Either you manage to build an interesting life outside of your professional sport career, or not. Plenty of players that played until they are 35 and still have some sort of crisis after they retire.He had it all.

Does he really think another year or two would have made a difference when he is 50? I doubt it. Honestly, I think it is way better to finish at your peak and go out with a bang.

Yeah I know.

Possibly there are quite a few former professional footballers sitting in some medics waiting room, looking at x-rays and thinking they should have stopped 1-2-5 years earlier...

He can do that next season, too.

What is the smallest town that ever had a CL participant? After this match day Hoffenheim is 8 points ahead of the 5th... (when they win today) - and the youngest coach?

According to BILD Julian Brandt is off to Bayern either this summer or next.
I believe he has a pretty cheap release clause that can be triggered 2018.

Surprise surprise! Bayern getting the best players from their opponents.

If rumors are true, the exit clause would be €12.5m in 2018. Understandable that Leverkusen prefer to cash in much more now if Brandt moves, whether it's Bayern or elsewhere.

Honestly, so does Dortmund to an extent with Toprak and Dahoud. I can't get bothered by it.
Absolutely agreed, and it doesn't stop at Dortmund. Every club in every league buys a certain amount of players from domestic league clubs that are considered less big or successful. I also don't think that it's more noble, ethical or whatever to buy players from clubs from foreign leagues. It's a non-discussion, really.

@Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87 I would also argue your 'best player' label for Julian Brandt. Huge potential? Certainly. Best Leverkusen player? Not for me, i.e. not this season.

I'v always had the impression that Brandt is vastly overrated so I'd be a bit surprised if Bayern were really after him when they already have a decent talent in Coman.

Yeah, but recently Bayern have mostly bought from inside the league.
As Dortmund and almost every other German club, Bayern bought from all sorts of clubs: Bundesliga, 2nd Bundesliga and foreign leagues. And that pattern - if you replace Bundesliga with the respective league name - is applicable to almost all clubs in all European leagues. As said above, it's a non-issue.

Yeah, but recently Bayern have mostly bought from inside the league.
No they haven't, they have bought Süle, Hummels, Goetze and Neuer from the Bundesliga in the last 6 years. That's not mostly buying from inside the league.

I think Brandt isn't good enough for Bayern, i like him as a player but i don't think he's going to be worldclass. Sane would have been the much better choice then.

Edit: I actually forgot some players: Dante, Ulreich, Mandzukic

If we let Costa leave along with Alonso's and Lahm's retirement and the club thinks that Süle, Rudy and Brandt are the way to keep the squad playing at a similar level, we're screwed.

No they haven't, they have bought Süle, Hummels, Goetze and Neuer from the Bundesliga in the last 6 years. That's not mostly buying from inside the league.

I think Brandt isn't good enough for Bayern, i like him as a player but i don't think he's going to be worldclass. Sane would have been the much better choice then.

Not to forget Kirchhoff and Rode. When did Gustavo join you from Hoffenheim? Can't remember from top of my hat.

In any case, the discussion is completely pointless. Players are free to chose for whom they want to work, clubs are free to employ player whom they want to employ. It doesn't matter where players have played before, within the league or in a foreign league.

In actual match-related news, today is the 150th derby between Schalke and Dortmund. It's considered the 'Mother of all derbies', at least for sports media. Reus and Bender haven't recovered from injury yet, Schürrle is out (knock in national duties), Durm is injured (training), Pulisic is in the squad but has jet lag. Should be an intense game.

In actual match-related news, today is the 150th derby between Schalke and Dortmund. It's considered the 'Mother of all derbies', at least for sports media. Reus and Bender haven't recovered from injury yet, Schürrle is out (knock in national duties), Durm is injured (training), Pulisic is in the squad but has jet lag. Should be an intense game.
When is Reus likely to be back and fit?

Lewandowski.

Not to forget Kirchhoff and Rode. When did Gustavo join you from Hoffenheim? Can't remember from top of my hat.

In any case, the discussion is completely pointless. Players are free to chose for whom they want to work, clubs are free to employ player whom they want to employ. It doesn't matter where players have played before, within the league or in a foreign league.
I didn't include players that came from the second league(Petersen) or on a free transfer (Lewandowski, Rode, Kirchhoff, Starke, Pizarro) because that's not really buying. But i forgot Kimmich.
Gustavo joined in 10/11, i think in the winter transfer window.

Eberl extends his contract as DoF at Gladbach until 2022.
Definitve answer that he will NOT becom Bayern's DoF anytime soon.