Bruno Fernandes Out?

The people thinking we can afford to lose Bruno Fernandes this summer of all summers must be on some special sauce.

His contract runs for 2 more years + a1 year option. He's worth about 100m and I wouldn't accept a penny less.

The club holds all the cards here, if he wants to stay then he's already on plenty of money, if he expects pay parity with the highest earners, sell them instead. It's probably only Rashford, Sancho and Casemiro that are on more than him at this stage. Not sure about Mount, but it's possible he is on a higher wage. Would rather they were sent packing first.

Just making the point we don't need him, if we use the money well we can do better without him.

Sure, if we can convince some of the best AMs in the world to join us. 8th in the PL and playing in the Europa League could make it difficult.

Using that logic we don’t need Licha or Kobbie either. Just use the money well.

Who would you replace him with? What signing would make us better?

Last edited:
The people thinking we can afford to lose Bruno Fernandes this summer of all summers must be on some special sauce.
A bit crazy when our purported back up can hardly stay fit for a month at a time :lol:

He's the last player we should be cashing in on right now, we can revisit it when he has a year left but there's no need to rush into that during a transitional summer...

That's where I am. I had the exact same opinion about Ronaldo with Real Madrid. I get why people are worried but it's not even a bad thing to move in a different direction especially when we are not even talking about a context where we have had any remarkable success. Now it's also true that replacing Bruno wouldn't be done by simply putting someone else in the starting XI, it would require serious thinking and a new way of doing things that involves the entire team.

Agreed. The debate gets oversimplified by "we can't get a 10 as good as him". While that is true, the real solution IF, and that's still something I don't think will happen, we sell him, is to change to a system that isn't build around a singular AM as the main creative force.

Maybe he wants to try for something big by playing in a proper club. He isn't getting any younger.

For once, the club are actually in the stronger position here.

Fernandes turns 30 a few weeks into next season, and is currently contracted under a 2+1 year deal. Should he actually want to leave, Bayern/Barcelona or whoever is purportedly interested will have to cough big figures.

If it is financial, I don’t see any reason why the club should be looking to increasing his salary. He’s on enough (even if player X or player Y is on a few thousand more a week).

If it’s for sporting reasons — the decision on ten Hag and whoever the new manager is should resolve that within the next few weeks.

If he thinks new manager/the [bleak] possibility of ten Hag remaining in situ aren’t going to match what he wants at this stage of his career: fine, see paragraph two above.

Pretty relaxed on this, whichever way the cookie ends up crumbling. Just hope it’s not with him getting a bumper contract.

On one hand, you would have to say that Bruno deserves to be our highest paid player as he has been our best player since he has been here.

On the other hand I would really like us to go away from paying the kind of wages we have been handing out. The kind of money that players like Rashford and Sancho are reported to be on should only be given to players that are match winners week in week out, like Salah

Don't players who help meet the homegrown quota just tend to get paid more by default at all English clubs? I mean it isn't exactly 'fair' but their status puts them in a stronger negotiating position, given that clubs need them for registration.

In any case, we're under no pressure to sell and the time to reassess Bruno's contractual position would surely be in about 18 months, when we have had some time to see what kind of player he'll be into his thirties.

I’d also still wager with some assurance that Fernandes is at least in the top three highest paid players in the club once Martial, Varane, and Casemiro leave this summer. Top five at an absolute push.

Hardly like he’s being paid a pittance.

That's where I am. I had the exact same opinion about Ronaldo with Real Madrid. I get why people are worried but it's not even a bad thing to move in a different direction especially when we are not even talking about a context where we have had any remarkable success. Now it's also true that replacing Bruno wouldn't be done by simply putting someone else in the starting XI, it would require serious thinking and a new way of doing things that involves the entire team.
100%.

Improve the f*cking cake, don’t remove the icing.
Improving the cake will take resources. That is the whole point of at least considering it. Not saying one or the other thing is the be all and end all but IF(!!!) Manchester United isn't already planning for life after Bruno then I'd say they aren't doing their job very well. To get the 8th spot next year, we might not even need Bruno, maybe we could bring in 2 players for the money we could generate. 2 Players who are promising and help us to become competitive in the long run.

It's exhausting seeing him make the same anti-Bruno posts in his usual condescending tone under a new account. People have their own writing style and sentence structures. His is very distinctive. The few months where he wasn't on here, the caf was a much better place.
Was zaafi banned? If not, why would he create a new user? Also "a much better place" is a very subjective thing to say. Lets not start conspiracy theories. Stuff isn't the truth because stuff might be plausible.

Yep. It's madness, and speaks to a total lack of knowledge.
Great start for a fruitful debate. I guess coincidentally people that share your opinion have a more than sufficient level of knowledge, right?

His contract must be pretty astronomical considering how important he was to us when he signed it, with three years left its pure greed to be asking for more at this point, considering the pretty poor season we have had. If its about the money he can go.

His contract must be pretty astronomical considering how important he was to us when he signed it, with three years left its pure greed to be asking for more at this point, considering the pretty poor season we have had. If its about the money he can go.
If you actually recall his season, it was far from worthy of a pay increase. He generally infuriated the fans base, who've forgotten all about it after a few good performances toward the end of the season..

Was zaafi banned? If not, why would he create a new user? Also "a much better place" is a very subjective thing to say. Lets not start conspiracy theories. Stuff isn't the truth because stuff might be plausible.
Yes, he was banned. It's hardly a conspiracy theory - it's a straightforward joining of the dots. Whenever I see a message on my WhatsApp group chats, I can tell who said which comment without reading their name because different people have different styles of written communication. The way he structures sentences is identical to zaafi. And his views on certain players is exactly the same.

You must be glad to have a fellow member rejoin the 'this is why United are better off without Bruno' team!

As already pointed out, Mason Mount gets paid more.

Improving the cake will take resources. That is the whole point of at least considering it. Not saying one or the other thing is the be all and end all but IF(!!!) Manchester United isn't already planning for life after Bruno then I'd say they aren't doing their job very well. To get the 8th spot next year, we might not even need Bruno, maybe we could bring in 2 players for the money we could generate. 2 Players who are promising and help us to become competitive in the long run.

We’re already lacking in leadership, especially with Varane and most likely Casemiro leaving the club. Remove Bruno and replace him with promising youngsters and we’ve got an even younger team with very few leaders. And we both know how fragile the current team can be as it is.

Plus the two better be pretty fecking awesome creators as our squad without Bruno is poor at it.

Last edited:
Yes, he was banned. It's hardly a conspiracy theory - it's a straightforward joining of the dots. Whenever I see a message on my WhatsApp group chats, I can tell who said which comment without reading their name because different people have different styles of written communication. The way he structures sentences is identical to zaafi. And his views on certain players is exactly the same.
I wasn't aware of him being banned. In connection with the Bruno thread? And just for the record, obviously him being banned would make the scenario a bit more plausible. But again, plausibility doesn't necessarily create truth. And thank god it doesn't.

You must be glad to have a fellow member rejoin the 'this is why United are better off without Bruno' team!
By now, I am sure you have reached the conclusion that I have a healthy sense of being confrontative and happy to fight on my own as long as I deem the fight worthy of it. And for the protocol, I don't think a bit of balance is a bad thing. Not like the uptenth time somebody hails Brunos chance created stat or tells us the breaking news that he is the only good transfer since bla bla bla is really adding something to the overall picture.

We’re already lacking in leadership, especially with Varane and most likely Casemiro leaving the club. Remove Bruno and replace him with promising youngsters and we’ve got an even younger team with very few leaders.
I agree and that certainly is something we have to consider. BUT, the leadership isn't really much productive as of yet so breaking it down wouldn't risk breaking a running machine. Our team definitely lacks leader and I agree, Bruno certainly is the best leading figure in the team with a rather consistent output, his availability and work rate.

But that doesn't really matter for me personally. When the team finds its groove, new leaders will emerge. They also don't really have to be experienced, they "just" have to be regarded as leading figures within the team. On that aspect alone I would agree with you, better not lose Bruno. But in connection with other aspects (his age, his contract situation, his special status in terms of being one of the more marketable players) I'd definitely listen to offers.

Plus the two better be pretty fecking awesome creators as our squad without Bruno is poor at it.
Yeah. But look, nobody is asking for the squad to stay as it is or keep playing like they do. Obviously we have to make a step forward, towards becoming a better team. But that applies with or without Bruno and having two players with starting elevent quality for years to come is obviously better than keeping the aging player.
Granted, we are talking in extremes here, I am fully aware that Bruno isn't going to burn out in the next 12-18 month. But at the same time, we also shouldn't put ourselves into a thinking box where Bruno is on some godlike pedestal and is downright irreplacable.

Sure, if we can convince some of the best AMs in the world to join us. 8th in the PL and playing in the Europa League could make it difficult.

Using that logic we don’t need Licha or Kobbie either. Just use the money well.

Who would you replace him with? What signing would make us better?
I am not suggesting buy one of the best AMs in the world, its not needed for us at the moment.

I wasn't aware of him being banned. In connection with the Bruno thread? And just for the record, obviously him being banned would make the scenario a bit more plausible.
I can't recall the specific thread but he was banned for insulting another poster. @Hypnus has dived straight in with the same condescending tone towards anyone who he disagrees with.

By now, I am sure you have reached the conclusion that I have a healthy sense of being confrontative and happy to fight on my own as long as I deem the fight worthy of it. And for the protocol, I don't think a bit of balance is a bad thing. Not like the uptenth time somebody hails Brunos chance created stat or tells us the breaking news that he is the only good transfer since bla bla bla is really adding something to the overall picture.
Fair enough. You must be just as fed up of reading his chance creation stats as much as I'm fed up of reading his pass completion percentage after a United loss.

Let’s just make him the highest paid player by selling Rashford

Mount isn’t anywhere near our top earner.

Don’t give him a new contract. I’m a thick, daft cnut and I can tell that’s a terrible business idea.

Maybe as a reward at the end of the season but not now in the current climate and scenario

Let’s just make him the highest paid player by selling Rashford

Mount isn’t anywhere near our top earner.

Don’t give him a new contract. I’m a thick, daft cnut and I can tell that’s a terrible business idea.

Maybe as a reward at the end of the season but not now in the current climate and scenario
KNEW IT. fecking KNEW Woodward was lurking in here.

£120 million up front minimum before we should even consider selling him

If the offer is 100 million euro, I would suggest that we sell him. Yes, he is our captain and he is always available but if someone put in a bid of that amount, we surely needs to consider. United needs to sell player when their stock is high, not offering new contract with higher wages. De Gea, Rashford, Martial and many others, we offer new contract and they got stuck with them until they leaves free as nobody can afford their wages. United needs to go for young and hungry players. Any players above 30, we should consider to sell as long as the right offer comes in. Real is always selling players when they are over 30s. Ineos needs start changing the DNA of this club in order to be successful again.

You don’t sell a player like Bruno. Yes he has his off games and has certain annoyances, but personally I think this is down to how unbalanced our team is. If you fix the team around him then he is able to concentrate on his own game and not have to do all of the leg work himself. He’s all over the pitch these days compared to when he first came and mostly played just the CAM role. He’s a worker, always available, always runs himself into the ground, always wants to win, has been our best player or top 2 minimum in every season since he arrived, he absolutely loves the club and is passionate when we don’t perform to the standards that everyone remembers Utd for. He isn’t declining yet either, so until that starts happening or he won’t sign a new deal without daft wages, we should not even contemplate losing him. Especially without an equal or better player lined up to replace him.

If the offer is 100 million euro, I would suggest that we sell him. Yes, he is our captain and he is always available but if someone put in a bid of that amount, we surely needs to consider. United needs to sell player when their stock is high, not offering new contract with higher wages. De Gea, Rashford, Martial and many others, we offer new contract and they got stuck with them until they leaves free as nobody can afford their wages. United needs to go for young and hungry players. Any players above 30, we should consider to sell as long as the right offer comes in. Real is always selling players when they are over 30s. Ineos needs start changing the DNA of this club in order to be successful again.
Is that the same real who have just given modric a new contract and begging kroos the reconsider his retirement

They are extending it with one year as it is expiring this summer. Very different situation.
I actually think Bruno could adapt his style of play to extend his career at the top level. Even though he's not as good a passer as Kroos and Modric, he could still do a good job. I just think out of principle, we shouldn't increase his wage. The fact that he plays all the time, is a problem, and so is the fact that the player don't take responsibility for creating. We need to change this.

I'd leave too if Mason Mount was paid more than me, who is a glorified Conner Gallagher.