Bruno Fernandes Out?

I’m all for having a youthful side but we most definitely also need to keep hold of some of our older professionals to guide the younger lads. Bruno gives 100% every match pretty much sixty times a season- replacing him would be impossible!

I can understand why he might want to move to a club that are in the upper echelons of European football though given he’s got limited time left at the top level

Agreed. We should be putting the big money and contracts into the likes of Mount.
I get the sarcasm, but Bruno has a number of years left on his current deal and highly likely when he turns 30 we will start to see a decline (just look at Casemiro). Club needs to refrain from these deals, but when you decide to put Rashford on a huge deal last year, and Bruno puts in another decent season this conversation will always come up.

Love Bruno and he's one of very few senior players I'd be sad to see go. I see people are annoyed at him presumably wanting more money but let's be honest - if you were carrying your shambles of a workplace year after year, seeing incompetent pricks show up and earn more for doing absolutely feck all - you'd be kicking up a fuss too. At least I hope you would.

That said, it's probably not the right move to give him a big new contract at his age, though he's the only player here who I'd never ever question their work ethic. He'd run himself into the ground at 40 no matter who's he's playing for, I'm sure.

Some of the comments here are shocking. Bruno is our best player by a country mile and it's baffling to see people don't appreciate him. Without Bruno we are fighting relegation this past season. He's our only creative outlet and probably the only player we have who would walk into most sides in Europe. If he goes then you'll realise quite quickly what he meant for this team

This is based on absolutely nothing :lol:

He isn't close to being one of the best players in the world, and it has nothing to do with the team he plays for. He is very creative, but you need a lot more than that to be a world class player.
Interesting how Newcastle with a midfield of Longstaff, Joelinton and Bruno Guimaraes scored over 80 goals in the league without a creative player like Bruno. Almost as if not relying on a single player to create has something to do with it.

I think it's fair to assume zaafi has created a new account lads.

Just give up. There's fans here who just think Bruno's average, even though he clearly isn't.
I mean, he's one if the few bright sparks United have had post SAF but whatever at this point.

It’s a bit strange. He’s one of the best in the world at what he does, and he’s done it consistently during a really shit era of our club. It’s just that his weaknesses are exposed here, but most other players would be the same if you dropped them in our squad.

It’s a bit strange. He’s one of the best in the world at what he does, and he’s done it consistently during a really shit era of our club. It’s just that his weaknesses are exposed here, but most other players would be the same if you dropped them in our squad.
He's not what we need right now, he can't give us what we need right now, he would cost quite a lot, we can spend that more effectively in theory.

Giving him a bigger contract is the type of thing we are trying to stop.

Some of the comments here are shocking. Bruno is our best player by a country mile and it's baffling to see people don't appreciate him. Without Bruno we are fighting relegation this past season. He's our only creative outlet and probably the only player we have who would walk into most sides in Europe. If he goes then you'll realise quite quickly what he meant for this team
... or look at the recent Palace result.

Be a shame if we lose Bruno because we were paying Mason Mount more, but a good opportunity to offload him for good money. Turned thirty.

When I was younger, I had a friend who played Championship Manager and would sell any player over 25. He sold Brazilian Ronaldo and still cleaned up, season after season, with his Grande Inter side.

Maybe just the mentality needed for us to rule again.

Great idea, let's play Championship Manager in real life :nervous:

He's not what we need right now, he can't give us what we need right now, he would cost quite a lot, we can spend that more effectively in theory.

I mean, the cost of replacing him will far outweigh the cost of keeping him. We do and always will need creative players, so saying he isn’t what we need right now is a bit strange.

I don't think we should be panicking. Bruno still has two years, plus another bonus year to fulfill.

We should be well protected this summer with no need to issue a new contract with a pay increase and any bids would have to be £100m+ for us to even consider.

It's quite frustrating to see Fernandes pushing so hard for improved terms when he didn't even show up for a large portion of the season. If his salary reduction is a result of no Champions League football next season, that should be his motivation to help us qualify for the following year.

He already doubled his money with the contract he was given prior to Ten Hag's arrival at the club. He shouldn't be using the press to try and get another one for himself, especially as the club captain.

We don’t need his playmaking, goals and assists? Because apart from him we have so many of our players are creating so many chances consistently?

One can appreciate him and at the same time want the club to do the responsible thing and NOT hand out new contracts to players close to their 30s, who are already on a longer contract.

We don’t need his playmaking, goals and assists? Because apart from him we have so many of our players are creating so many chances consistently?
Teams do better than us, way better than goal wise without anyone like him. He's the icing on the cake type.

I mean, the cost of replacing him will far outweigh the cost of keeping him. We do and always will need creative players, so saying he isn’t what we need right now is a bit strange.
If we sell him we can buy a replacement and at least 1 more player.

One can appreciate him and at the same time want the club to do the responsible thing and NOT hand out new contracts to players close to their 30s, who are already on a longer contract.

That's where I am. I had the exact same opinion about Ronaldo with Real Madrid. I get why people are worried but it's not even a bad thing to move in a different direction especially when we are not even talking about a context where we have had any remarkable success. Now it's also true that replacing Bruno wouldn't be done by simply putting someone else in the starting XI, it would require serious thinking and a new way of doing things that involves the entire team.

If someone offers 80 mil we should probably take it.

I like bruno a lot by the way.

He has a point though.
It's exhausting seeing him make the same anti-Bruno posts in his usual condescending tone under a new account. People have their own writing style and sentence structures. His is very distinctive. The few months where he wasn't on here, the caf was a much better place.

Teams do better than us, way better than goal wise without anyone like him. He's the icing on the cake type.

Not because of Bruno. Because of the rest of our team. He creates more than anyone in the league and has crazy numbers in a shit United team. Think about what he would achieve in a good one.

Improve the f*cking cake, don’t remove the icing.

It would be quite statement if we let go someone who wants to be here and is our most creative player.
"Wants to be here" has a caveat though. He wants a shinny new contract.

That's where I am. I had the exact same opinion about Ronaldo with Real Madrid. I get why people are worried but it's not even a bad thing to move in a different direction especially when we are not even talking about a context where we have had any remarkable success. Now it's also true that replacing Bruno wouldn't be done by simply putting someone else in the starting XI, it would require serious thinking and a new way of doing things that involves the entire team.
This. Saying it might be best to sell if he's asking for a new contract, doesn't mean you don't appreciate the player.

This clearly looks like asking for a new contract. If the only way the club can show him "that they still want him" is by offering a 30 year old with 3 years left on his deal a new improved contract, we should take advantage of the rumoured interest and get as much as possible for him.

I look at some of the posts in this thread and wonder if Milan fans had similar debates when the club let Pirlo go?

He's passed it. He will be ancient if we extend his deal. We can reinvest if we get him off the wage bill.

That worked out so well...

...for Juve.

wouldn't you if four other players were paid more than you while you carry the team?
Those are historical mistakes. The worst thing we can do is compound those mistakes by offering him another deal. He has 3 years left on his deal on good money. And I am not convinced by "carrying the team". He carried us to where? Being the best player doesn't equate to carrying the team.

He's not worth £300k+ a week i'm sorry. If that means he wants to walk then he can go. But we cannot compromise on price. Bare minimum is £90m.

I like Bruno, I think he should be one of the top earners in the club.

But he's already on big wages, the fact that other inferior players are on bigger contracts doesn't mean we should pay him more it means we should get rid of those players.

He has a contract until 2026 +1 year option for the club. So basically a 3 year contract left, we have absolutely no pressure at all to extend it or increase his wages. If he wants to leave them let him leave, we've built this reputation of paying players like they're world-class and yet we end up with a bang average squad. We need to start giving contracts on merit and giving Bruno improved wages will only affect us for other negotiations.

It's exhausting seeing him make the same anti-Bruno posts in his usual condescending tone under a new account. People have their own writing style and sentence structures. His is very distinctive. The few months where he wasn't on here, the caf was a much better place.
Fair enough. I'm not Bruno fan but his creativity is very good, I don't mind him going but it's not something I would push for.

Not because of Bruno. Because of the rest of our team. He creates more than anyone in the league and has crazy numbers in a shit United team. Think about what he would achieve in a good one.

Improve the f*cking cake, don’t remove the icing.
Just making the point we don't need him, if we use the money well we can do better without him.