View full 2023-24 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
I won’t even debate his football deficiencies but he’s a shit captain.
Always one of the first players on the pitch to get frustrated and lose his head.

I think we’ll miss him today simply because McTominay won’t get on the ball to give possession away time and time again

Has played consistently well for the first 60-65 minutes or so of games for the past couple of months. Going to assume it's tactical rather than borne out of frustration that when we're chasing games, his passing becomes much more expansive.

Going to seriously miss his work rate today, covered close to 13KM in the game against Bayern and can be a real difference maker in games of this intensity.

If he played we would conceede more than one goal. Maybe we would play better in attack, but we would crumble.

So, it turns out we don't need him to be dangerous. Who would have thought? Shame Antony has such garbage decision making.

Has played consistently well for the first 60-65 minutes or so of games for the past couple of months. Going to assume it's tactical rather than borne out of frustration that when we're chasing games, his passing becomes much more expansive.

Going to seriously miss his work rate today, covered close to 13KM in the game against Bayern and can be a real difference maker in games of this intensity.

We missed him so much. I really wanted us to be destroyed 7-0 again.

If he played we would conceede more than one goal. Maybe we would play better in attack, but we would crumble.
Don't think that's fair. Amrabat and McTominay lost the ball pretty much with every touch and didn't do that well defensively. We didn't concede cause the box defending from the back 4, not because of any cover in midfield.

Don't think that's fair. Amrabat and McTominay lost the ball pretty much with every touch and didn't do that well defensively. We didn't concede cause the box defending from the back 4, not because of any cover in midfield.

Amrabat in the first half is Bruno in nutshell in our big away games. The difference with Mctominay is that he wasn't even that involved to lose balls in dangerous positions.

People rushing in here to criticise a player who didnt play today. Assumptions left right and center. Pathetic

Far more compact without him in Anfield.

Is anyone surprised by that?. Swapping him or Mctominay for an actual midfielder is always going to make us more compact, it’s a complete no brainier and that’s why it’s so baffling it takes a suspension for it to happen .

Is anyone surprised by that?. Swapping him or Mctominay for an actual midfielder is always going to make us more compact, it’s a complete no brainier and that’s why it’s so baffling it takes a suspension for it to happen .
Yeah it wasn't to do with him being there or not, it was with the instructions. Ten Hag had 2 players actually stay in midfield today. As a result... we didn't look ridiculously open. They still got 34 shots so shouldn't go overboard, but it was a huge help. I really don't like the 1 deep and two players being half 8/10's pretty much.

ETH needs to seriously rethink his approach to big games. Klopp played for years with a defensive three midfield.

People rushing in here to criticise a player who didnt play today. Assumptions left right and center. Pathetic

I guess when you've seen a player play for 3 seasons, you can call assumptions evidence based.

I was glad he couldn't play today - I thought it would allow us some degree of control rather than spamming the ball over the top every time we get it. I would have much rather had Eriksen available from the start to give us a degree of comfort in possession.

So, it turns out we don't need him to be dangerous. Who would have thought? Shame Antony has such garbage decision making.

Its a game if opinions but I generally don’t know what people watch some times

McTominay was in his spot and he was awful

Also if Bruno had 2 midfielders behind him instead of 1 he would be even better

Yeah it wasn't to do with him being there or not, it was with the instructions. Ten Hag had 2 players actually stay in midfield today. As a result... we didn't look ridiculously open. They still got 34 shots so shouldn't go overboard, but it was a huge help. I really don't like the 1 deep and two players being half 8/10's pretty much.

Yeah the problem isn’t Bruno it’s combination of him and Mctomimay. I’m sure Bruno would be much happier playing with Ambat and Mainoo.

We simply don’t have the players to play only 1 deep, I’ve no doubt we’ll be playing again very quickly though. As you rightly say even with two they still had too many attempts but at least it helped us get a result.

That's the interesting thing now. When Bruno's back, do we revert to our usual midfield setup and drop one of Mainoo or Amrabat, or does he come into the setup we had today for McTominay.

I hope it's the latter. I don't think it'll suddenly transform our season and the quality of our football in general for the most part, but I do think that's our best option.

Yep Bruno should be the attacking mid behind a solid two, for all his frustrating play he is still one of the most dangerous players in the prem on his day which granted hasn't been much this season but his stats don't really lie he just needs a more solid surrounding as someone pointed out playing him with mctominay is midfield suicide two players roaming about up there and I know which one I'd rather have playing.

Can't say we missed him today. I'm a bigger fan of his than most but I genuinely don't see him having the defensive or emotional discipline for a game like this.

That's the interesting thing now. When Bruno's back, do we revert to our usual midfield setup and drop one of Mainoo or Amrabat, or does he come into the setup we had today for McTominay.

I hope it's the latter. I don't think it'll suddenly transform our season and the quality of our football in general for the most part, but I do think that's our best option.

Yeah, I hope Ten Hag has lucked into realising our best shape is just what we were playing for most of last season (with Mainoo basically being the missing piece for it).

I'll despair if we see another one man midfield of Amrabat or Mainoo behind both of McTominay and Bruno lining up for the next game.

Would like to see him in a midfield with Mainoo and Amrabat. It's not perfect and it's hardly world class but it might be the best we can do in terms of balance at this stage.

Ignoring the context that had we lost 4-0 or more that the same thing would have happened. You’d probably be one of them.

Can't say we missed him today. I'm a bigger fan of his than most but I genuinely don't see him having the defensive or emotional discipline for a game like this.

He has put in some disciplined shifts recently. Chelsea being the most obvious. So it’s definitely possible. Although sticking him and McTominay together behind Hojlund will always be a problem. Him instead of McTominay in today’s team could improve us a lot.

He has put in some disciplined shifts recently. Chelsea being the most obvious. So it’s definitely possible. Although sticking him and McTominay together behind Hojlund will always be a problem. Him instead of McTominay in today’s team could improve us a lot.
Tactically I agree, he is a (usually) good professional and he is more than capable. But I do think there is sufficient reason to question his temperament in a game like this, tight and nervy at Anfield.

I agree I don't think he would've been any worse than McTominay.

Has the village idiot come into the thread and tried to argue that we would have definitely lost if Bruno played? He has, hasn’t he?
:lol: You’re an absolute parody of yourself.

We all know you’re gutted we didn’t lose heavily. Bruno fanboy.

Sixth sense vibe when I can’t see half the posts you’re quoting.

“I see stupid people…”
When I get time I’ll point out your absolute hypocrisy’s from the past few months without resorting to childish name calling.

Yeah, I hope he's lucked into realising our best shape is just what we were playing for most of last season (with Mainoo basically being the missing piece for it).

I'll despair if we see another one man midfield of Amrabat or Mainoo behind both of McTominay and Bruno lining up for the next game.
I'm with you. It's funny when you put it out in text like that. That we needed these incredible circumstances of numerous injuries all at the same time and Bruno getting suspended on top of them in order to realise that the setup we were already using before this season is better for us at this moment than what he's been trying to do all season long.

I'm not counting my chickens yet, though. Do you remember how Ajax fans said his stubbornness was a major issue before he joined us? We've seen plenty of evidence of that, so I wouldn't say I'd be too surprised if we went straight back to the one midfielder setup. I'm going to be optimistic, though, and bank on us playing this midfield, which will give us the platform to beat West Ham. :D

The problem with him being available is that he would have played as a number 8 again and asked to do a defensive job that he just can't do. The love affair with McTominay, and previously with Mount is ruining our best number 10 at the club. It's mental by the manager.

I guess when you've seen a player play for 3 seasons, you can call assumptions evidence based.

I was glad he couldn't play today - I thought it would allow us some degree of control rather than spamming the ball over the top every time we get it. I would have much rather had Eriksen available from the start to give us a degree of comfort in possession.

What control? So we controlled the game without him? Let’s not simplify things like that. We couldn’t complete 2 consecutive passes in the first halfX scot was terrible especially in the first 45 minutes. So shaky and irrelevant.

Whilst we were probably more compact without him, I can't help but think he'd have found our players on the counter more often. Liverpool were so vulnerable defending wide positions, and the few times we got in behind, were as a result of finding players in those areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.