Music "Boring" bands

Agree with a few already mentioned….Radiohead, Elbow, Coldplay (although I don’t mind some of their songs as background)

Some of the soft rock bands from the 70's as well like Rush and 10cc

I like Sonic Youth. Goo is a cracking album and Daydream Nation isn't bad either. They were probably my favourite band at uni.
I think they are much better at album length than with singles. Only few really catchy songs. But the overall impression is quite good. Really like them.

My farts sound more interesting than Joy Division

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⡤⠤⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣾⠀⠀⢸⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡏⠀⠀⢸⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡇⠀⠀⢸⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⡇⠀⠀⢸⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⢀⡾⠋⠻⡇⠀⠀⢸⣧⣀⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⢀⣾⠁⠀⠀⡇⠀⠀⢸⠁⠀⢹⣀⠀⠀⠀
⢀⡴⠋⡟⠀⠀⢠⡇⠀⠀⢸⠀⠀⠀⡇⠉⢆⠀
⡎⠀⠀⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢻⠀⠈⣆
⢷⡀⠀⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸
⠀⠻⣦⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣾
⠀⠀⠈⠻⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣠⠞⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⣷⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⠋⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡏⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠒⠒⠒⠒⠒⠒⠒⠚⠃⠀⠀⠀

Another one Badly Drawn Boy

Last time I saw Paul Weller was diabolical too, left early. It was exacerbated by the whole area surrounding the venue being full of simpleton “fans” copying his hairstyle and singing “pebbles on a beach” as it was the only lyrics they knew.

Last time I saw Paul Weller was diabolical too, left early. It was exacerbated by the whole area surrounding the venue being full of simpleton “fans” copying his hairstyle and singing “pebbles on a beach” as it was the only lyrics they knew.
Fenners?

Everything in the charts. They don't make interesting music for the common folk. Same few beats, strums and terrible lyrics repeated a billion times. It's like if you're buying a tomato and chilli sauce from Tesco in a jar. You can be damn sure that appealing to the lowest common denominator will sap all life out of it.

My farts sound more interesting than Joy Division
D7M0No8XYAA6kjm.jpg

Tends to come across as a miserable sod too.

Radiohead, Coldplay, Keane, Morrissey, Adele, Biffy Clyro, Tool can seem to drag on a bit
The likes of Lewis Capaldi, James Arthur, Tom Grennan etc.
Music on adverts, they’re usually some slowed down version of a popular song.

Radiohead.

I get this one completely. Their best stuff was during that era when we had 'The Bends' and 'Ok Computer'. I really like Kid A and In Rainbows, but they're not to everyone's tastes. However, they've reeeeeally slowed down with their last two albums, to the point where they have become boring. Can't listen to anything past In Rainbows. Tbh, I barely make it past Ok Computer now - that was their peak.

Funnily enough, I see the same exact thing happening with the last two Arctic Monkeys albums. My mate and I have coined the term 'Radioheading' to describe when a band gets too far up themselves and starts losing/ignoring the thing that made them good in the first place.

The Bends is such a fecking good album. I wish they would just make more music like that instead of the dirge they do now.

Snow Patrol are probably the most boring band of all time.

This thread is just people naming off great bands that everyone else likes and they don’t.

Edit: apart from Coldplay. feck Coldplay.

U2 and Coldplay came to my mind immediately. Both of them have one goodish album and a pile of dross.

U2 and Coldplay came to my mind immediately. Both of them have one goodish album and a pile of dross.
I'd go as far as two for Coldplay. Neither I'd really be keen to listen to in their entirety but both the first couple have stuff on them I like.

If they'd disappeared in to the wilderness thereafter I think most people would rate them.

I'd go as far as two for Coldplay. Neither I'd really be keen to listen to in their entirety but both the first couple have stuff on them I like.
The Eno produced albums are better than any Coldplay record has any right to be really.

A lot of good responses so far, plus the obligatory WUMs that every Caf thread needs. The most glaring omission so far is Pearl Jam.

For me, Kaiser Chiefs represent a whole era of boring, uninspired music. Their tracks make me think of mullets, shit tattoos and uppity arrogance.

I love rock, and welcomed that it made a comeback in the 2000s, but the likes of that boring shower along with Franz Ferdinand, The Ordinary Boys and Razorlight ruined it somewhat. Just so dreary.

On the flip side, it was also a good era for Muse, Ash and The Killers who I loved.

Coldplay had one great album and then the occasional good song but increasingly crap and irritating. Viva La Vida annoys me intensly. And that stupid monkey video one.

U2 were brilliant up to Joshua Tree and arguably Rattle and Hum (a highly dovisive album even with fans). Achtung Baby and All That You Can't leave Behind had their moments but it has been a downhill trajectory for a long tome now.

My perspective might be very different if I was younger.

The Beatles. Obviously I'm not saying they are terrible and they were ground-breaking in many ways, but they have always bored the arse off me.

Last edited:
For me, Kaiser Chiefs represent a whole era of boring, uninspired music. Their tracks make me think of mullets, shit tattoos and uppity arrogance.

I love rock, and welcomed that it made a comeback in the 2000s, but the likes of that boring shower along with Franz Ferdinand, The Ordinary Boys and Razorlight ruined it somewhat. Just so dreary.

On the flip side, it was also a good era for Muse, Ash and The Killers who I loved.

At The Drive In, Cooper Temple Clause, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club (1st album at least), Blood Red Shoes, British Sea Power, Seafood, Death From Above 1979, Trail of Dead... Early 2000s had some great indie-rock bands. But you're right that there was some utter dross in there too - especially those British bands jumping on the Libtertines band-wagon; Ordinary Boys, Razorlight, Kooks etc (wasn't that much of a fan of the Libertines either to be honest)

I'll start with Sonic Youth. at this point I'm convinced some people are simply pretending to like them. I tried several albums and tbf I didn't hate any of them, but for a rock band, the biggest crime imo is not to have songs that doesn't stay in your head for a while. to me, they basically produce sound (noise), not songs.

when I listen to Doolittle by Pixies or something by Dinosaur Jr. from same year, I can't help but feel the difference is incredible. and honestly, I only love first 4 albums from Pixies anyway, while I feel Sonic could go on to play forever, release 50 albums and I still wouldn't get into any of them... which is basically the point of this simple thread - bands you simply can't get into for some reason.

so...
Try Sister and Daydream Nation.

Not bands but very boring (or in many cases just utter rubbish).

Ed Sheeran
Taylor Swift
Beyonce
Drake
Katie Perry
Rhianna
Bruno Mars
Billy Joel
Adele (one or two ok songs but she sounds the same in everything)

I'm sure I could make a much longer list.