Film Blade Runner 2049

85 on metacritic after 20 reviews. Didn't delve into the content, have heard any kind of detailed plot synopsis or analysis is likely to give quite a bit.

Only point is that Total Film and Empire gave it full marks which will push the average up. I'm conscious they tend to overhype things so might we have a solid 7/10 movie as @dumbo suggested? Which being honest, is still better than i expected.

Yeah, I haven't and won't be reading any reviews until I have watched it but the visuals seem to be receiving huge amounts of praise. Not a surprise when Deakins is involved.

Sicario was a brilliant film so I totally disagree that the director hasn't shown the potential to make a classic.

Yep, excellent reviews so far, some calling it one of the best sci-fi movies. Ironically, a total contrast to how original was seen from critics when it came out.

I rate Villeneuve as a director and in my book he already has excellent movies. However, this is his most challenging movie and by some distance. We'll see.

Man, was fully prepared for this to be average. Still trying to avoid pumping my hopes up.

Well I for one am giddy with excitement. Booked into humungous IMAXX screening next Saturday night. Perfect seats and a fresh stash of marijuana infused chocolate burning a hole in my pocket. Bring. It. On.
Gwan Pogue! :lol:

Jóhann Jóhannsson, who had worked with Villeneuve on Prisoners, Sicario and Arrival, was announced as composer. Hans Zimmer and Benjamin Wallfisch joined in July 2017. In September, Jóhannsson's agent confirmed that he was no longer involved with the film, but was contractually forbidden from commenting.

I'm out.

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to hearing the Inception score yet again. So much of Blade Runner's appeal is Vangelis' lush score and now they're going in the complete opposite direction by giving the job to that bland recycling bin.

Jesus this thing is getting rave reviews everywhere.

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to hearing the Inception score yet again. So much of Blade Runner's appeal is Vangelis' lush score and now they're going in the complete opposite direction by giving the job to that bland recycling bin.
Yeah really not looking forward to almost 3 hours of ear bleeding shite.

I read it, regret now. It reveals a little bit too much from the story.

But...

"This film delivers pure hallucinatory craziness that leaves you hyperventilating."

"It’s an incredible lucid dream."

Considering pot also.

As a comparison, Bradshaw gave Arrival a 4, Mad Max a 4 (harsh), Interstellar and Inception 3s, for some other big budget sf films from this decade.

Its mind-boggling, cortex-wobbling, craniofacial-splintering images are there to trigger awe or even a kind of ecstatic despair...more gigantic and monolithic...like nothing I’ve ever seen...It’s an incredible lucid dream... It places the acid tab of cinema-pleasure on your tongue.
Peak Bradshaw. To be fair he is one of the few film writers left that I actually believe feels what he writes, even as I rarely agree.

I was getting really apprehensive about this one when I heard it was a 12A (needs to be a solid 15 really IMO) but those reviews have re stoked my enthusiasm. Really looking forward to this one.

As a comparison, Bradshaw gave Arrival a 4, Mad Max a 4 (harsh), Interstellar and Inception 3s, for some other big budget sf films from this decade.

Interesting. Apart from slightly over-rating the new mad max that sounds about right. If the new Blade Runner is indeed a 5 on that standard I will be very happy indeed.

Never seen the first one, but this looks hyped.. might watch the first one and then go see this one.

Yeah, I haven't and won't be reading any reviews until I have watched it but the visuals seem to be receiving huge amounts of praise. Not a surprise when Deakins is involved.

Sicario was a brilliant film so I totally disagree that the director hasn't shown the potential to make a classic.
Yeah, not counting this new Blade Runner, his last 4 films were pretty good, so I don't know why people seem to dismiss him as a directorial talent.

Arrival was a brilliant film. Best sci-fi in many many years.

It was a good film, but I don't have any intention of ever watching it again. I found it incredibly depressing.

It was a good film, but I don't have any intention of ever watching it again. I found it incredibly depressing.

I haven't seen a film I wanted to watch again since the 90's I think. Not sure if that is me ageing or films getting worse or TV getting better or a combination of factors.

Last edited:
Never seen the first one, but this looks hyped.. might watch the first one and then go see this one.

Make sure you watch the Final Cut version and not the Director's Cut.

Last edited:
I haven't seen a film I wanted to watch again since the 90's I think. Not sure if that is me ageing or films getting worse or TV getting better or a combination of factors.

Films are definately getting worse mate. We are also currently enjoying what I believe will be looked back at as the golden age of TV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to get off topic but....are you high?

Arrival was stunning!

Not so off topic. It's sci-fi, the director is the same so after you watched Arrival there was genuine hope he actually might pull this one.

Although, must admit, when I later read the book I thought the general idea was better presented in the book than in the movie. But, still, Arrival stands for me as one of the best sci-fi in last few years and more. There was not much competition, but nevertheless.

Not so off topic. It's sci-fi, the director is the same so after you watched Arrival there was genuine hope he actually might pull this one.

Although, must admit, when I later read the book I thought the general idea was better presented in the book than in the movie. But, still, Arrival stands for me as one of the best sci-fi in last few years and more. There was not much competition, but nevertheless.
Yeah, the movie pretty much ignored the internal logic of the short story to amp up the dramatics at the end (not entirely unjustified since the story as written wouldn't have worked as a large budget film). But it was well told and most changes were good.

Other thing this has going for it is that Hampton Fancher co-wrote. Bringing writers back after that length of time away is by no means a guarantee of success, but it's reassuring at any rate.

Booked in for the bfi imax (2d obvs) but have to wait until the weekend after it's out :( The temptation to click on this thread when it's inevitably bumped constantly will be strong.