Film Blade Runner 2049

The director has been terribly outdated and has been making shit movies in recent times, the screenwriter just adapted the scenario from one of the greatest sci-fi novels of all time, and Ryan Gosling is shit.

I'll watch it cause it is Blade Runner, but it can go terribly wrong. It most likely will (see Prometheus).

Director is the decent enough Denis Villeneuve. Agree with everything else.

Just a thought. Maybe I'm missing something. All that talk about Deckard being a replicant/or not after the first one. Doesn't his appearance in this film as old as he is just flush that one down the toilet.

Curious how they will explain it and not ruin the first film.

Just a thought. Maybe I'm missing something. All that talk about Deckard being a replicant/or not after the first one. Doesn't his appearance in this film as old as he is just flush that one down the toilet.

In the trailer we see Gosling going to ask him some questions, i presume an updated Turing test.

No idea if they actually gonna answer the question though... maybe he dies before we find out.

In the trailer we see Gosling going to ask him some questions, i presume an updated Turing test.

No idea if they actually gonna answer the question though... maybe he dies before we find out.

Well, don't know. But if they come out with some sort of bullshit that he is special kind of replicant that ages that would be kinda a stupid.

If he is a replicant he is already a special kind of replicant as he has no end date.

That's exactly the same thought I had yesterday. I personally thought he was in the original...

Prometheus will be appreciated only after people grasp it's genius. Blade Runner kinda a thing.

Edit: It's bullshit, even Ridley would admit that.

Last edited:
If he is a replicant he is already a special kind of replicant as he has no end date.

Half human, half replicant would be better.

Ok, will take your view. And stop blabbering about something I will find out in half year time.

@Ubik just interested to hear your view on this one.

Last edited:
I'm engaging in wishful thinking as I love the original (even to the point of loving both the original cinematic release and The Final Cut) so I don't want to think about how they can feck this up.

And unless he is bullshitting us Scott had repeatedly said that Deckard is a replicant. A Nexus 6. Harrison Ford say the opposite.

BTH I think it is very likely that this is deliberate to keep us wondering and I'd be surprised if this isn't a key element of the plot for the new film.

It'll have to be kept vague, they'll say there may be some special replicants who can age but Deckard will die before they can do the test so it'll still leave it open as to whether or not he is one.

The VK test shouldn't work on Deckard as he'd have emotions. My thought is the whole "those who live twice as bright live half as long" thing means that it's the heightened strength and intelligence that causes the four year life span, and if Deckard's a replicant, he was designed without those to fit in with other humans. Though this wouldn't explain Rachael.

Also - I enjoyed the Atari sign as a nod to the original.

The lifespan was programmed. There is no reason to believe that the abilities of the Nexus-5's was the cause of the short lifespan.

I have heard loads of theories over the years, some from the Blade Runner 2 novel, but that doesn't mean any of these possibilities are what will happen in the new film.

The lifespan was programmed. There is no reason to believe that the abilities of the Nexus-5's was the cause of the short lifespan.

I have heard loads of theories over the years, some from the Blade Runner 2 novel, but that doesn't mean any of these possibilities are what will happen in the new film.
Tyrell implies otherwise on that - "you were made as well as we could make you". Though I haven't read the (sequel) novel.

Tyrell implies otherwise on that - "you were made as well as we could make you". Though I haven't read the (sequel) novel.

He was speaking to a Nexus 5. Rachael, and maybe Deckard, are Nexus 6's.

He was speaking to a Nexus 5. Rachael, and maybe Deckard, are Nexus 6's.
Roy Batty's definitely a 6.
Roy-Batty_incept-date_Blade-Runner.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.jpg

Maybe a nexus 7 then. Whatever model Rachael was. She had no end date as far as we know. Although it was said in the film that the life span was limited in the Nexus-6 to reduce them going rogue due to a lack of memories to cushion their experiences and not that they couldn't live longer.

@Wibble simple and genuine question just because you're more into the whole story. I'm fan of the original but didn't watch it for some time and haven't read the book.

Replicant (assuming Deckard is one) can age in a way that he gets older, I mean physically older like other humans? Is that possibility with replicants ever been suggested?

I know they can go down the route that he is special kind, I'm just curious did they mentioned it before as a possibility.

@Wibble simple and genuine question just because you're more into the whole story. I'm fan of the original but didn't watch it for some time and haven't read the book.

Replicant (assuming Deckard is one) can age in a way that he gets older, I mean physically older like other humans? Is that possibility with replicants ever been suggested?

I know they can go down the route that he is special kind, I'm just curious did they mentioned it before as a possibility.

Interesting idea. Since the Nexus-6 replicants in the first film had a 4 (or was it 5?) year lifespan we wouldn't know if tbey physically aged.

I don't delve into the uber-fan discussion forms so I don't know if this has been discussed but I'd guess that it has. It would allow us to still not know if Deckard is a replicant. The second novel (not by PK Dick) suggested that replicants were always copies of real people so there are lots of interesting possibilities that could flow from that idea if they usevit in the new film. I just hope that they don't do something silly to spoil it.

I think 4 year lifespan but all the same. Ok, thanks for the explanation.

It will be certainly interesting to see which way they will go.

Longer new footage. Includes few new scenes, dialogues but mainly words from Ridley, Villeneuve, Gosling, Ford and the rest of the crew (Leto has one sentence and still comes annoying).

Basicilly, what they all saying is that release date is coming and we're trying to sell you the movie. :smirk:

Still looks good imo.

Someone I follow on Twitter has been retweeting some early impressions and they seem universally very positive. Obviously to be taken with a pinch of salt because Twitter but I'm definitely surprised at how ridiculously positive they all are.

undoubtedly everyone here will hate it and ill love it (at least i hope i do).

A lot of famous critics are losing their minds about this on twitter after watching the first screenings. I’ve even seen the phrase “better than the original” :eek:

I think I need to avoid reviews entirely between now and watching this movie. As soon as possible. On the biggest screen possible.

A lot of famous critics are losing their minds about this on twitter after watching the first screenings. I’ve even seen the phrase “better than the original” :eek:

I think I need to avoid reviews entirely between now and watching this movie. As soon as possible. On the biggest screen possible.

Yeah avoid reviews. I've seen a few "worthy of Oscar" taglines.

Expectations are already too high for this film. I'm just going in hoping to pass time and hopefully I'l get more than I bargained for.

hope its true, but I am wary on initial impressions before review embargo.

I remember Indiana Jones and Crystal Skull being heralded as best Indy film from those selected for early previews

Yeah, early reactions are more than positive.

I always had a small semblance of faith with Villeneuve directing, and such a quality cast. Hopefully it delivers.

EDIT: 2 hours 40 minutes long too, jaysus.

Last edited:
I would be very surprised if it turns out to be a great film, only because Villeneuve to me is the epitome of the 7/10 player. If you want a good, competent movie you get this guy in. It'll look pretty good and he'll hit the genre beats with production line efficiency, but I've seen no evidence of potential for greatness in his work so far. (I'm not particularly protective of the original film though with Ghost in the Shell: Innocence, for all it's needless verbiageyepbeing my favourite Blade Runner film).

Wagamamas is fine but they've not suddenly starting serving up authentic Asian cuisine. Horses of courses.

Early reviews are great.

I'm so hyped.
85 on metacritic after 20 reviews. Didn't delve into the content, have heard any kind of detailed plot synopsis or analysis is likely to give quite a bit.

Only point is that Total Film and Empire gave it full marks which will push the average up. I'm conscious they tend to overhype things so might we have a solid 7/10 movie as @dumbo suggested? Which being honest, is still better than i expected.