Barcelona: Charged with corruption .... again!

Niemans knows. Bartomeu got crazy after Neymar was sold. What was actually a great deal for us he turned it into a disaster. He paid absurd quantities for the likes of Dembele and Coutinho. Besides the price, in Barca's playstyle Coutinho's position doesn't even exist. Then he gave all players huge salaries and refused to sell players like Rakitic that later left for free. A total disaster Bartomeu was. I would honestly swap the 2015 treble for having Laporta chosen in that year election instead of Bartomeu.

How did Bartomeu got elected in the first place anyway? What was his promised back then? Or he inherited the position from Rossel's scandal?

I said it started after Neymar's signing for PSG in the 2017 season. Bartomeu started with very high salaries for all players.

You can see the economic balances of each season. They are on the Barcelona website.
There was someone from the financial times basically embedded with your club that said it started in 2015, and described the mechanisms of the fall very well, and in detail. The whole “elected officials” model … it just won’t survive modern sport. We could name off. The top 10 horrible decisions caused by the nature of this model, including the ceding of too much power to Messi and certain agents.

But then what? Then you start over in a deep, deep pit with the same structure and faults in place. When more eventually emerges about the genesis of the “Super league” I think the public is going to find that the two Spanish teams, groups of agents, and specific banks essentially used their pull to convince teams it was a “done deal” , and to get on or get left behind. The size and insidious nature of Barcas role in the league they are STILL trying to push will erode the edges of their global image. The slaughter of the Euro and the coming recessionary forces in Europe will compound their issues, and the peoplein charge will still be making political moves to stay in power. It’s an abyss of issues, and for the villains of world football it is the beginning of a growing problem, not the start of a fix.

Barcelona WAS “more than a club”. You didn’t head hunt Galacticos at every position. You had big signings, but you also developed boatloads of talent, and that was the core and the charm of the team. But that’s gone now, replaced by a frankly obnoxious level of entitlement that doesn’t reflect current reality.

How did Bartomeu got elected in the first place anyway? What was his promised back then? Or he inherited the position from Rossel's scandal?
He was interim after Rossell but the problem was we won a treble during that interim year so people thought he was actually capable. Everything he did was buying Luis Suárez who was at that time definitely the best striker in the world so it was no brainer. A couple of good keepers in Ter Stegen and Claudio Bravo but that was thanks to former Barca Keeper Andoni Zubizarreta not really him. Ivan Rakitic who was decent for a few seasons and some other failures who never did shite like Vermaelen, Rafinha and Jeremy mathieu.
Suárez, the keepers and Rakitic did contribute to the treble but it was mostly thanks to Luis Enrique, Messi and proper team work. But still that helped that moron get enough votes to be elected that summer for the next 6 years and destroy Barca. Bartomeu is mostly a coward that's why he was so bad. He was always pleasing the players. With huge salaries or not backing a proper coach like Luis Enrique who made players train properly, not the joke 45 minutes trainings that came after when Valverde became our coach.
Being brave, smart and backing strict coaching decisions is what makes Laporta so good. He not only appointed an unexperienced Guardiola in 2008 but also backed him when he decided to get rid of Ronaldinho who was still at the time a big name at Barca but already too lazy and unfocused.
I can't stand seeing Txiki Beristain and Guardiola at Man City for so long. If we have had Laporta instead of those clowns they wouldn't have left.

He was interim after Rossell but the problem was we won a treble during that interim year so people thought he was actually capable. Everything he did was buying Luis Suárez who was at that time definitely the best striker in the world so it was no brainer. A couple of good keepers in Ter Stegen and Claudio Bravo but that was thanks to former Barca Keeper Andoni Zubizarreta not really him. Ivan Rakitic who was decent for a few seasons and some other failures who never did shite like Vermaelen, Rafinha and Jeremy mathieu.
Suárez, the keepers and Rakitic did contribute to the treble but it was mostly thanks to Luis Enrique, Messi and proper team work. But still that helped that moron get enough votes to be elected that summer for the next 6 years and destroy Barca. Bartomeu is mostly a coward that's why he was so bad. He was always pleasing the players. With huge salaries or not backing a proper coach like Luis Enrique who made players train properly, not the joke 45 minutes trainings that came after when Valverde became our coach.
Being brave, smart and backing strict coaching decisions is what makes Laporta so good. He not only appointed an unexperienced Guardiola in 2008 but also backed him when he decided to get rid of Ronaldinho who was still at the time a big name at Barca but already too lazy and unfocused.
I can't stand seeing Txiki Beristain and Guardiola at Man City for so long. If we have had Laporta instead of those clowns they wouldn't have left.

Cheers..
I forgot you once had Vermaelen and Mathieu one time at Barca. :lol:

Barcelona did very well domestically during pretty much the entirety of Bartomeu's presidency. They won the league or cup every season other than 19-20. He then lost the job in 2020.

For comparison, the club whose forum we're on right now have been a mess for almost a decade now without truly competing for the PL title or UCL trophy for a long time now. Yet sponsors still pay premium rates to advertise with them and the stadium is full every game despite ticket prices not being exactly cheap there either.
For comparison, Arsenal have been in decline for twenty years. Complaints about their ticket prices relative to the quality of the team have been pretty common during that time. The problems on the pitch and high cost have also been reflected on their attendance figures, for many years now. And this is in England, a wealthier country than Spain.

For comparison, Arsenal have been in decline for twenty years. Complaints about their ticket prices relative to the quality of the team have been pretty common during that time. The problems on the pitch and high cost have also been reflected on their attendance figures, for many years now. And this is in England, a wealthier country than Spain.

That's true but the context is quite different.

Arsenal were crippled financially for a very long time because of their massive stadium debt which has affected ticket prices and they missed out on success during the most important years where football's overall global profile was enjoying an exponential growth. Barcelona on the other hand was very, very successful in those crucial times and because of that they are now one of the most supported clubs in the world.

Social media following doesn't of course tell the whole story but looking at the numbers Barca have around 110M followers on Instagram while Man Utd have 59M and Arsenal only 22M. A few years of top-4 finishes and no trophies won't suddenly make Barcelona the next Arsenal for the next couple decades, it's ridiculous to even suggest it.

Just out of curiosity, being a Real Madrid fan why are you so defensive when it comes to Barcelona? Are you afraid the whole of La Liga will go of the rails and Real Madrid won't be competitive in the European scene either if Barca become too bad and Real Madrid start winning titles by default for a few years?

I criticize Barcelona when they do things I think are bad. Some of these decisions they're making are questionable, but there is at least some track record of success, this is not the first time Laporta has tried to revive a struggling Barcelona.

I don't really believe that La Liga needs a strong Barcelona or whatever, if it were to me the whole club could be destroyed by an asteroid tomorrow.

For whatever reason, La Liga discourse always involves some variation of "RM/Barca team is now invincible, Barca/RM team are dead for the foreseeable future" and in my experience, it never actually happens.

Arsenal were crippled financially for a very long time because of their massive stadium debt which has affected ticket prices and they missed out on success during the most important years where football's overall global profile was enjoying an exponential growth. Barcelona on the other hand was very, very successful in those crucial times and because of that they are now one of the most supported clubs in the world.

Social media following doesn't of course tell the whole story but looking at the numbers Barca have around 110M followers on Instagram while Man Utd have 59M and Arsenal only 22M. A few years of top-4 finishes and no trophies won't suddenly make Barcelona the next Arsenal for the next couple decades, it's ridiculous to even suggest it.

Just out of curiosity, being a Real Madrid fan why are you so defensive when it comes to Barcelona? Are you afraid the whole of La Liga will go of the rails and Real Madrid won't be competitive in the European scene either if Barca become too bad and Real Madrid start winning titles by default for a few years?

I think you need to stop thinking/writing about Barca, mate.

Also, this thread should be moved to a new subforum called "Everything Barca".

Nearly 130 pages, the hell

He’s trying to convince people that winning La Liga is an actual achievement.

but you got to admit how shameless Barcelona are. On one hand they’re trying to get La Liga to bend the rules for them, on the other hand they’re planning to backstab La Liga by pushing for the Super League.

No, they are betting on the European Super League (or whatever it is called).
They said something about this on Talksport yesterday. That they were hoping to win the court case and that the clubs who dropped out would have to pay them money for pulling out, a sort of fine. So if they can set up a Super League, will the other clubs then join or is it going to be a very small Super League?

Signing a couple of guys on free transfers and maybe splashing on 1 player could have been digestible but they seem to be splashing big time while their finances seem to suggest that they should be doing otherwise. What happens if they can’t sell FDJ and move on some of the guys they have been planning to.

Signing a couple of guys on free transfers and maybe splashing on 1 player could have been digestible but they seem to be splashing big time while their finances seem to suggest that they should be doing otherwise. What happens if they can’t sell FDJ and move on some of the guys they have been planning to.

They will make do and sell off more of their future revenues to prop up their current mess.

Are you afraid the whole of La Liga will go of the rails and Real Madrid won't be competitive in the European scene either if Barca become too bad and Real Madrid start winning titles by default for a few years?
If this doesn't happen to Munich then I'm sure it won't happen to Madrid (an equally well run club) either. Barca have taken a high-risk, high-reward strategy of betting everything on a good 2-3 seasons to get them back on track. Its because their fans will not put up with a 10 year rebuild.

If you look at their main squad, they just need a RB (Azpi?), LB and a B2B midfielder (Silva?) to become competitive in La Liga and CL. Last year they came 2nd despite all their issues and in the CL this team should reach the play-off rounds.
Main squad assuming FdB leaves:
-----------------------------------------------------------------Ter Stegen
Dest-----------------------------------Araujo/Pique-------------------Garcia/Christensen------------------------------------Alba
-------------------Gavi---------------------------------------Busquets/Nico---------------------------------------------Pedri/Kessi
-------Raphina/Dembele----------------------Lewa/Depay/Auba--------------------------------------Torres/Fati

If this doesn't happen to Munich then I'm sure it won't happen to Madrid (an equally well run club) either. Barca have taken a high-risk, high-reward strategy of betting everything on a good 2-3 seasons to get them back on track. Its because their fans will not put up with a 10 year rebuild.

If you look at their main squad, they just need a RB (Azpi?), LB and a B2B midfielder (Silva?) to become competitive in La Liga and CL. Last year they came 2nd despite all their issues and in the CL this team should reach the play-off rounds.
Main squad assuming FdB leaves:
-----------------------------------------------------------------Ter Stegen
Dest-----------------------------------Araujo/Pique-------------------Garcia/Christensen------------------------------------Alba
-------------------Gavi---------------------------------------Busquets/Nico---------------------------------------------Pedri/Kessi
-------Raphina/Dembele----------------------Lewa/Depay/Auba--------------------------------------Torres/Fati

Far too many ifs and maybes to assess right now if they'll be competitve in anything. Torres is a big disapointement, Fati seems far from being fit for high level football at the moment and their rotation in the midfield is an odd bunch of yougsters or very different players (especially Kessie/Pedri) that won't be able to serve the same gameplan. It could totally work if Xavi manages to set up 2 or 3 different tactics when needed, or it could be pretty average.

I thought Barcelona were going to be financially prudent post Bartemeu but the recent signings (Raphinha, Lewandowski and Kessie I think) suggest otherwise.

So with all their "financial levers" activated, they now can register all the players the signed without having to sell some?

They said something about this on Talksport yesterday. That they were hoping to win the court case and that the clubs who dropped out would have to pay them money for pulling out, a sort of fine. So if they can set up a Super League, will the other clubs then join or is it going to be a very small Super League?
They believe this will happen. And the counter suits will involve inquiry into the tactics, manipulation and collusion used to convince teams(especially the ones from the premiere league) that they had no choice but to join what was essentially a league designed to save a few teams. For the premiere league teams especially, the idea that it was “just greed” doesn’t hold up. The reality is that there was an effort at multiple levels to convince teams they would be shut out of European football competitions entirely if they refused to get on board.
Barca thinks they will get their league, or win their cases.

The Bayern situation is NOT similar. The Bundesliga is not in danger of not being able to field teams. In La Liga, that could be a very real problem. If a world wide recession hit now (which it very well could) Spain would go into it with record inflation AND 13 % unemployment, and books that frankly are just as dodgy as Barcas. La Liga has been set up to strangle the other teams in favor of the top two or three for a very long time, and that is a horrible strategy for a healthy league.

I have no clue in all honesty. This is all proper weird. But when they activate all these levers they are not forced to sell or are they?
I'd read that the third lever (more family jewels sold) would allow them to register.

Not sure how because I thought wages was the issue (not a lump of cash, which helps transfers in).

I criticize Barcelona when they do things I think are bad. Some of these decisions they're making are questionable, but there is at least some track record of success, this is not the first time Laporta has tried to revive a struggling Barcelona.

I don't really believe that La Liga needs a strong Barcelona or whatever, if it were to me the whole club could be destroyed by an asteroid tomorrow.

For whatever reason, La Liga discourse always involves some variation of "RM/Barca team is now invincible, Barca/RM team are dead for the foreseeable future" and in my experience, it never actually happens.
I respect you. You support Madrid but still give an honest opinión. You are not a Roncero

More than them being able to sign so many players I do find it strange how these players really want to join Barca or are even willing to stay at Barca. I know they are a big club but I very much doubt if Liverpool or Manchester United would jave survived this mess or even if the players would have stayed or joined them with this mess. May be wrong but that's what I feel. Something seems fishy.