Barcelona: Charged with corruption .... again!

So they sold their future revenues in the next 3 years or so. Next season, when their situation is even worse, they will sell future revenues for 2028-2034 or so

They're all pounding their chest all over social media.

Reminds me of United fans after some of our transfer windows.

Would rather celebrate trophies at the end than transfer windows.

To be fair, there’s a lot of weirdos from most fan bases online. I’m sure most match going Barca fans are worried.

Mes que un club indeed. You're also a bunch of self-entitled mugs.

Dumb statement, it was confusion at the border, they've strengthened their squad more than any other team this summer.
Please fill me in on the details, as I just saw a report that he could not travel to Miami with the rest of the squad. Did this get resolved?

So they sold their future revenues in the next 3 years or so. Next season, when their situation is even worse, they will sell future revenues for 2028-2034 or so

yes, sold €40m/year to stay competitive at the highest level since Bartomeu degraded the club to frankfurts level. Spotify already pays €30m more than Rakuten and barca still have the sleeve left for a new sponsor. So in the end, they got even with 2 sponsor changes alone. A price worth paying to stay competitive, wouldn't you agree?

yes, sold €40m/year to stay competitive at the highest level since Bartomeu degraded the club to frankfurts level. Spotify already pays €30m more than Rakuten and barca still have the sleeve left for a new sponsor. So in the end, they got even with 2 sponsor changes alone. A price worth paying to stay competitive, wouldn't you agree?
No sure, sounds like a great and healthy business plan!

Please fill me in on the details, as I just saw a report that he could not travel to Miami with the rest of the squad. Did this get resolved?

I saw that too. It says something about a travel he did when manager of a club in the Middle East.

If forfeiting future revenue is such a great business opportunity then why dont you think every club out there does it? This is desperate situation and Barca is forced to do this.

Then you see Barcelona spending 60m on a winger they dont need and 50m on a 33 year old striker. It just shows that Barcelona hasn’t learned its lesson. Same excuses is given how it will make them competitive and it is something they can afford. You couldnt afford Dembele and Coutinho and it blew up in your face. After selling future revenue percentage, Barcelona is making the same mistake again. This time they wont have anything to sell later

I saw that too. It says something about a travel he did when manager of a club in the Middle East.
He travelled to Iran and needs special permission to enter US which Barca didnt plan earlier

Spotify is a bad deal for them overall to the point a director quit over it.

No sure, sounds like a great and healthy business plan!

No one said that.

If forfeiting future revenue is such a great business opportunity then why dont you think every club out there does it? This is desperate situation and Barca is forced to do this.

No one said that. And yes.

Then you see Barcelona spending 60m on a winger they dont need and 50m on a 33 year old striker. It just shows that Barcelona hasn’t learned its lesson. Same excuses is given how it will make them competitive and it is something they can afford.

Barca needs Raphinha. You can't rely on Fati and Dembele, because they can pick up another injury and then what? If Torres has to play every game, his output reduces significantly as we saw last season, where he stopped scoring after being forced to play every game for months.
This 33 year old striker is double fifa player of the year. If such a striker doesn't help immediatly, who can? Barca needs to be competitive again from this season onwards. As for selling future revenue, I just wrote about barca got that sum already back with 2 new sponsors.

Well, imagine not selling future revenue and still having those two new sponsors.

What don't you understand in "This is a desperate situation and Barca is forced to do this."
No one sells this deal as a good one. Laporta himself said it's a bad one, but to do nothing is even worse. There is simply no other choice except become an el team and wait for all the sponsors and fans to bail, so the club can't pay it's debts anymore and goes default to start in amateur level again.
It's not so difficult to understand one might think.

Scum club but they’re building a helluva squad, their depth in attacking areas is ridiculous.
I’ve not really followed or understood the situation at Barca but if they can’t register any of these signings, which as far as I’m aware, they can’t, sooner or later there’s going to have to be some major outgoings, so that depth might not be as it seems.

I've tried to explain how all this worked. There is enough information in this thread.

I've tried to explain how all this worked. There is enough information in this thread.

The signing of Raphinha according to the press is paid in 3 installments and the money comes
Dumb statement, it was confusion at the border, they've strengthened their squad more than any other team this summer.
When they don’t get their paychecks how well will they play?

I’ve not really followed or understood the situation at Barca but if they can’t register any of these signings, which as far as I’m aware, they can’t, sooner or later there’s going to have to be some major outgoings, so that depth might not be as it seems.
Except non are eligible to play due to FFP

I don’t fully understand the situation but they’ll have a plan in place to be able to register them all. Judging from the quotes the other day I think they’re obviously planning for FDJ to go and I think Depay will be off too.. that alone must be more than €500,000 a week and then you’ve got the 4/5 players they left behind from the tour today.

I don’t fully understand the situation but they’ll have a plan in place to be able to register them all. Judging from the quotes the other day I think they’re obviously planning for FDJ to go and I think Depay will be off too.. that alone must be more than €500,000 a week and then you’ve got the 4/5 players they left behind from the tour today.
Yep, they have to offload wages to register new players. So they either convince current players to reduce salaries or play for free, or they sell some players that they don't need anymore to reduce the wage bill.

Yep, they have to offload wages to register new players. So they either convince current players to reduce salaries or play for free, or they sell some players that they don't need anymore to reduce the wage bill.
I would absolutely love for them to turn around and refuse to leave/take a pay cut.. would be a sight to behold :smirk:

Did Dembele just sign a new deal so they can get a fee for him in January? Also surprised they didn't offer Auba to Bayern in the Lewa deal as surely he's too expensive to be a bench warmer there?

Crazy amount of attacking options they're going to have now....Dembele, Memphis, Lewa, PEA, Ferran, Ansu Fati, Raphinha (although they'll probably play him at full back or something). Braithwaite still there aswell.

A well run club would just say it's two players for each position but something isn't really adding up and don't think just moving on De Jong will mean they can afford them all.

What you rely on to say they won't get their paychecks?
The fact that they STILL owe back wages to players, including De Jong. They went around yelling every player on their roster that if they truly loved Bat a they’d take massive reductions, etc as well.

I get the articles you are quoting, but most of those deal with la Liga rules, not the real economics of the situation. The 650 million loan they took from hold an Sachs has to be repaid in dollars. What revenue they are getting comes in euros… so they ALREADY owe 20% more than they thought they did, just in the last two weeks, and it is about to get much worse. At a certain level Barca knows this, which is why they wanted the lifeboat of the super league so badly. Maybe they are putting every “lever” they can think of out to stay relevant enough to force the SL back on the table? Idk.
But yes, if things get bad enough in Spain it could very easily come down to players not getting paid again. Once you’ve gone the route of not paying players, you will forever be that team. You cant say “what makes you say that?” because when Barca is in pitfalls they try to avoid paying their players and staff…. and they are STILL in serious financial trouble. It is what it is.

Levers or not, they have built a pretty good squad with this summer's transfers, imagine if they keep De jong too, which they might. That's a pretty damn good team capable of beating anybody. Imagine if Barca had signed Ericssen Malacia and Martinez. Hope Ten Hag knows what he is doing.

The fact that they STILL owe back wages to players, including De Jong. They went around yelling every player on their roster that if they truly loved Bat a they’d take massive reductions, etc as well.

I get the articles you are quoting, but most of those deal with la Liga rules, not the real economics of the situation. The 650 million loan they took from hold an Sachs has to be repaid in dollars. What revenue they are getting comes in euros… so they ALREADY owe 20% more than they thought they did, just in the last two weeks, and it is about to get much worse. At a certain level Barca knows this, which is why they wanted the lifeboat of the super league so badly. Maybe they are putting every “lever” they can think of out to stay relevant enough to force the SL back on the table? Idk.
But yes, if things get bad enough in Spain it could very easily come down to players not getting paid again. Once you’ve gone the route of not paying players, you will forever be that team. You cant say “what makes you say that?” because when Barca is in pitfalls they try to avoid paying their players and staff…. and they are STILL in serious financial trouble. It is what it is.

Could you put the information where it says that the debt with Goldman & Sachs is in dollars? It's the first piece of news on that matter that I have.

Barcelona has debt in certain players and also has it structured. As the contracts progress, they will be paid.

Could you put the information where it says that the debt with Goldman & Sachs is in dollars? It's the first piece of news on that matter that I have.

Barcelona has debt in certain players and also has it structured. As the contracts progress, they will be paid.
Most of the articles you are reading now no doubt say they took out loans in euros… because that’s the currency the reading audiences of those pieces understand. But Sachs has a hard base value on their loans measured against the dollar. The potential collapse of the Euro has been in play since Brexit and other mounting finance and security issues in Europe. Do you think if the Euro crashes even more they are going to accept Pennies on the value lent? My sister in law was a lawyer and financial advisor for then for two decades: they KNOW the kind of trouble Barca was in, and the issues involved. So taking their dollars, converting them to euros, having the euro crash, and then accepting basically 10 % of their investment back … not happening. This is Sachs.

You seem intent on relying on articles. But these articles are largely written by people with little “bigger picture” knowledge, or with an agenda to sell fairy dust to fans. Barca, and La Liga as a whole really, have real issues that needed confronting.
Barca so far seems to think they can move things around like a shell game, and ignore the problems long enough to get their Super League. They STILL insist that’s going to happen, remember?

That is why they are acting so cocky, and acting like they are super clever. They don’t think these long term “levers” have the value they are selling them for, because they will be void when the super league replaces existing deals.

As a fan, are you willing to bet the existence of your club on the Super League actually forming?

I predicted these issues for Barca 5 years ago in the discussions about how they were handling Messi and the potential issues with Spain as a whole. These aren’t just “Covid” issues. The people that actually run your club know that. They just manifest a level of denial and entitlement that is … amazing really.

Last edited:
They are such a stupid club. I could somewhat understand selling off a portion of the future earnings to ease the debt a little bit, but to sell them off to buy new players for huge amounts and wages is ridiculous. Why can't they just trust their impressive academy pipeline and rebuild slowly for a few years while they get their house in order?

And as for the levers, it's basically another loan to splurge even more on player acquisitions while they are already neck deep in debt. Stupid, stupid club. I hope they win nothing next season which would mean they basically sold off a part of their club for basically nothing.

4 years deal on 10m Euro net. That's just madness for a 34 year old.
Lewandowski is a great striker, probably still the best with Benzema.
Madrid are likely to extend Benzema's for another year like Bayern would have done with Lewandowski. That's reasonable for top players at that age.
Ramos is a good example, he was still top 2 years ago and suddenly injuries happened and he hardly played a match since moving to PSG.

Most of the articles you are reading now no doubt say they took out loans in euros… because that’s the currency the reading audiences of those pieces understand. But Sachs has a hard base value on their loans measured against the dollar. The potential collapse of the Euro has been in play since Brexit and other mounting finance and security issues in Europe. Do you think if the Euro crashes even more they are going to accept Pennies on the value lent? My sister in law was a lawyer and financial advisor for then for two decades: they KNOW the kind of trouble Barca was in, and the issues involved. So taking their dollars, converting them to euros, having the euro crash, and then accepting basically 10 % of their investment back … not happening. This is Sachs.

You seem intent on relying on articles. But these articles are largely written by people with little “bigger picture” knowledge, or with an agenda to sell fairy dust to fans. Barca, and La Liga as a whole really, have real issues that needed confronting.
Barca so far seems to think they can move things around like a shell game, and ignore the problems long enough to get their Super League. They STILL insist that’s going to happen, remember?

That is why they are acting so cocky, and acting like they are super clever. They don’t think these long term “levers” have the value they are selling them for, because they will be void when the super league replaces existing deals.

As a fan, are you willing to bet the existence of your club on the Super League actually forming?

I predicted these issues for Barca 5 years ago in the discussions about how they were handling Messi and the potential issues with Spain as a whole. These aren’t just “Covid” issues. The people that actually run your club know that. They just manifest a level of denial and entitlement that is … amazing really.

I would avoid getting into discussions about Barca's finances with @Niemans . I was discussing how:

A) Barca's debt would be underwritten in USD
B ) the danger the f/x market currently
C) how Barca are at risk of rising interest rates owing to inflationary pressures owing to their amount of short term debt
D) How a rating of BBB- means you're close to junk investment status and this would be reflected in their debt somewhere e.g. payment conditions etc.

And all you get is links to sports articles that either gloss over the financial commitments and responsibilities Barca are taking on, or outline how Barca can continue to spend according to La Liga FFP rules if they use levers.

Scum club but they’re building a helluva squad, their depth in attacking areas is ridiculous.
Lewandowski is like Ronaldo, he doesn't take being substituted well and will play 99% of the time. Will be interesting to see how Aubameyang will accept his permanent place on the bench.
7 players will have to compete for 3 places with Lewandowski occupying one already.
Xavi has a hell of job to keep them all happy.

Barca needs Raphinha. You can't rely on Fati and Dembele, because they can pick up another injury and then what?
Barcelona renewed Ansu Fati's contract on October 21st, 2021. He'd played almost no football for a year. His previous contract ended on 2022; the new one ends on 2027. Barcelona renewed Dembele's contract just a few days ago. He was officially out of contract. Now he'll be around until 2024.

If Barcelona can't rely on Fati and Dembele then they probably shouldn't give them contracts. This is what people mean when they say Barcelona's sporting project sounds insane.

Surely an institution as big as Barca would have hedged foreign exchange movement, particularly if they have a loan in a different currency? Although this is Barca so maybe not. The rest of your post I agree with though, it’s Super League or bust.

You are doing a weird thing in this thread which is conflating Barcelona's economic troubles, which basically everyone knows about, with vaguely undefined and unsourced claim that the country of Spain might go into administration soon.

What you say about Barcelona's debt is in dollars is just your opinion, there is no information, right?

I would avoid getting into discussions about Barca's finances with @Niemans . I was discussing how:

A) Barca's debt would be underwritten in USD
B ) the danger the f/x market currently
C) how Barca are at risk of rising interest rates owing to inflationary pressures owing to their amount of short term debt
D) How a rating of BBB- means you're close to junk investment status and this would be reflected in their debt somewhere e.g. payment conditions etc.

And all you get is links to sports articles that either gloss over the financial commitments and responsibilities Barca are taking on, or outline how Barca can continue to spend according to La Liga FFP rules if they use levers.

When I speak, I try to provide information and give an explanation.

A) Do you have information?
B) What is the danger?
C) Which short-term debt? Do you know if the money from the levers has not gone there?
D) Barcelona being BBB- already got a loan of €595M for 10 years with an interest of 1.98%.

The best thing I could do is say nothing.
Then the usual thing happens:

1.- People believe all fake news, especially if they would like it to happen.

2.- You can ignore reality but not the consequences of ignoring reality. Here people get a slap of reality when the opposite of what they have believed happens.

3.- All kinds of nonsensical conspiracy theories start.

What you say about Barcelona's debt is in dollars is just your opinion, there is no information, right?

When I speak, I try to provide information and give an explanation.

A) Do you have information?
B) What is the danger?
C) Which short-term debt? Do you know if the money from the levers has not gone there?
D) Barcelona being BBB- already got a loan of €595M for 10 years with an interest of 1.98%.

The best thing I could do is say nothing.
Then the usual thing happens:

1.- People believe all fake news, especially if they would like it to happen.

2.- You can ignore reality but not the consequences of ignoring reality. Here people get a slap of reality when the opposite of what they have believed happens.

3.- All kinds of nonsensical conspiracy theories start.

I think you are doing 1, 2 and 3. Sticking your head in the sand because you don't like the message.

Everyone using common sense knows this doesn't add up. You don't have to know all the information to understand this doesn't add up. It's a public secret Barcelona is in dire straits financially - without knowing all the details. Everyone with a common sense can conclude that selling TV rights for 25 years just to get a quick buck now and then spending it all on players right now is a ludicrous decision. It's not healthy at all and can only backfire, whether that is in 3 years, 10 years or 20 years. It will come back to haunt Barcelona and the conclusion that only the Super League may be the way out of that for Barcelona seems quite a logical conclusion to make.

This is also why Barcelona have been pushing the Super League so much, purely in self interest. Then they blame the world world for their problems and say it's the only way out. It is not the only way out. If your financial situation is awful, what you do is you sell all your players and form a team within the your financial possibilities. That's how it works in a normal world. Barcelona refuses to live in a normal world and then when financially doesn't work anymore (which anyone could have predicted), they start to lash out at everything and everyone, blaming all their problems on anyone else but themselves. It is ridiculous.

What @Bluelion7 said actually makes a lot of sense. He's given a reason why there are no in debt articles about it, which also makes a lot of sense. I am no financial specialist, but have some basic knowledge about it, which also adds up to the points raised. If Barcelona has debts with an American bank, it's very likely this debt is measured in dollars. Americans don't care about Euro's, they want their dollars back. Not saying they would never accept a lone which is then measured in Euro's, but in that case the conditions would be less favourable, because it's a more risky deal from banks point of view.

You just don't want to see it, because you prefer to be ignorant. However, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it'd be wise to consider that it may actually be a duck.