Ballon d’Or 2024 — post-Messi era

After messi and Ronaldo this award has really gotten boring.

Why would I have to? Is that required? I said I don't know half of those names, so the list is depressing to me. It lacks the star aura. Clearly my opinion, subjective in nature.

The inclusion of Kroos - not a great season, due to his retirement and nostalgia.
The inclusion of Hummels - struggled in the league to the point where his contract wasn't renewed and Dortmund let him go. Allegedly the best in the CL games, but that is hyperbole by German Dortmund fans.
Who are the 15 players you don't know from that list?

He won't, Rodri all the way.

This year shows how dire football became in terms of talent, and how system worhsipping is killing flair players. Aside of Yamal, and he's got a long way to go, there's absolutely nothing on the horizon.

Complains about flair players and system worshipping but still picks Rodri over Vini. Right makes sense.

Who are the 15 players you don't know from that list?

It's a figure of speech, ein rhetorisches Stilmittel. I didn't count if it was exactly 50%.

See, I know who Wirtz is, but I have never seen him play. I've seen his stupid face on ads, but that's not knowing the player. Same with Olmo, I didn't know he played for Leipzig, never heard of him.
I would not recognize a lot of them in a picture. I don't know what a Lookman is.

Any more questions, sunshine?

It's a figure of speech, ein rhetorisches Stilmittel. I didn't count if it was exactly 50%.

See, I know who Wirtz is, but I have never seen him play. I've seen his stupid face on ads, but that's not knowing the player. Same with Olmo, I didn't know he played for Leipzig, never heard of him.
I would not recognize a lot of them in a picture. I don't know what a Lookman is.

Any more questions, sunshine?
Definitely not, no.

Why would I have to? Is that required? I said I don't know half of those names, so the list is depressing to me. It lacks the star aura. Clearly my opinion, subjective in nature.

The inclusion of Kroos - not a great season, due to his retirement and nostalgia.
The inclusion of Hummels - struggled in the league to the point where his contract wasn't renewed and Dortmund let him go. Allegedly the best in the CL games, but that is hyperbole by German Dortmund fans.
"Allegedly" like he's committed a crime. Or just watch the games like everyone else, he was their best defender in the CL.
He won't, Rodri all the way.

This year shows how dire football became in terms of talent, and how system worhsipping is killing flair players. Aside of Yamal, and he's got a long way to go, there's absolutely nothing on the horizon.
Haaland and Mbappé are likely future greats heading into the peak of their careers. Just that neither had a great season. But this season with the way they've started and the teams they play for - has potential to be very different next year. Also the lack of star power is due to having younger players on the list like Nico Williams, Wirtz, Palmer, Bellingham etc. Musiala is a bad omission too. It would be worse for football if it was still Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar etc past their best making the list.

"Allegedly" like he's committed a crime. Or just watch the games like everyone else, he was their best defender in the CL.
The guy also claims he has never seen Wirtz play. Probably only watches his club and maybe some PL games but has an opinion on the BdO list.

The guy also claims he has never seen Wirtz play. Probably only watches his club and maybe some PL games but has an opinion on the BdO list.
Doesn't watch the Champions League or the Euros, despite the fact they're generally what decides the Ballon d'Or, but has an opinion on the Ballon d'Or. Like if you haven't seen Wirtz or Olmo play, then you haven't watched Spain vs Germany at the Euros, which is one of the biggest games of the season, if you haven't seen Olmo play then you haven't seen the Euros final. 24.2 million people watched that final in the UK. I'd question if he even watches football, full stop.

Haaland and Mbappé are likely future greats heading into the peak of their careers. Just that neither had a great season. But this season with the way they've started and the teams they play for - has potential to be very different next year. Also the lack of star power is due to having younger players on the list like Nico Williams, Wirtz, Palmer, Bellingham etc. Musiala is a bad omission too. It would be worse for football if it was still Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar etc past their best making the list.
Agreed 100%. Add Yamal to that list who’s looking more exciting than anyone bar Messi and Ronaldo in the last decades

Rodri should win it, but he won't for the same reason he didn't win the PL Player of the Season. Non-forwards aren't merited on the basis of their relative positions in these things. Just like Foden, it'll be Vinicius, because gOaLs = bEtTeR

Rodri should win it, but he won't for the same reason he didn't win the PL Player of the Season. Non-forwards aren't merited on the basis of their relative positions in these things. Just like Foden, it'll be Vinicius, because gOaLs = bEtTeR
Although with Vini isn't not only goals, is it? It's just that he's exciting and easy on the eye, too. Though I obviously agree that defensive players are constantly overlooked.

Doesn't watch the Champions League or the Euros, despite the fact they're generally what decides the Ballon d'Or, but has an opinion on the Ballon d'Or. Like if you haven't seen Wirtz or Olmo play, then you haven't watched Spain vs Germany at the Euros, which is one of the biggest games of the season, if you haven't seen Olmo play then you haven't seen the Euros final. 24.2 million people watched that final in the UK. I'd question if he even watches football, full stop.
Careful he might be the editor of France Football!
Who will win is everyone's guess, as half the judges will vote Messi or Ronaldo out of sheer habit.

Quality control
Definitely not, no.

Thank you, much appreciated. I don't enjoy talking to Bayern fans, I did enjoy your miserable season though. Your club has been an embarrassment since Hoeness and Rummenigge walked away.

"Allegedly" like he's committed a crime. Or just watch the games like everyone else, he was their list.

I did cupcake, as a matter of fact six times in Dortmund last season and Hummels was terrible every single time. I live one hour away and get invited to go there from time to time.

No, not everyone watches Dortmund games.

He had a terrible season. Good games - be it in the CL or in the league - mean nothing. Overall it ended with Dortmund letting him go.

I also never said that he wasn't their best defender, assuming you're referring to the CL games. But he wasn't among the best defenders overall, that's what I meant. Glad to clear that up for you.

I don't "claim" that. I haven't seen a single Leverkusen game and I don't watch national teams. So no, I only know his stupid face. Bubi face, you know what that means. So punchable.

I watch United games, I try to watch Atletico / Marseille and interesting CL games when time allows it. I don't go to Old Trafford anymore, but I do visit around a dozen games a season, mainly England, France and Germany. That's about it.

Doesn't watch the Champions League or the Euros, despite the fact they're generally what decides the Ballon d'Or, but has an opinion on the Ballon d'Or.

I don't watch the Euros, the WC and all that, but I didn't say that I don't watch the CL, at least some games. It used to be different, but since Ole and then philosopher Ten Hag my general interest in football went down.

I watch our games, which is getting harder and harder with the charlatan in charge. For the rest, see above. I don't have that much time to waste.

And yes, I can have an opinion on the list, it is depressing and no one is asking you for your permission.

Like if you haven't seen Wirtz or Olmo play, then you haven't watched Spain vs Germany at the Euros, which is one of the biggest games of the season,

Yes, exactly. Why was that one of the biggest games of the season? Germany wasn't a favourite, there was no enthusiasm in the country during the Euros (compared to 2006) and everyone I know expected Germany to go out.

if you haven't seen Olmo play then you haven't seen the Euros final. 24.2 million people watched that final in the UK. I'd question if he even watches football, full stop.

Yes, I haven't seen the final, see above. I support United and I do not watch any national teams. You can question whatever you want, no one cares. Like your opinion on the list, it is ultimately meaningless.

Last edited:
Thank you, much appreciated. I don't enjoy talking to Bayern fans, I did enjoy your miserable season though. Your club has been an embarrassment since Hoeness and Rummenigge walked away.

I did cupcake, as a matter of fact six times in Dortmund last season and Hummels was terrible every single time. I live one hour away and get invited to go there from time to time.

He had a terrible season. Good games - be it in the CL or in the league - mean nothing. Overall it ended with Dortmund letting him go.

I also never said that he wasn't their best defender, assuming you're referring to the CL games. But he wasn't among the best defenders overall, that's what I meant. Glad to clear that up for you.

I don't "claim" that. I haven't seen a single Leverkusen game and I don't watch national teams. So no, I only know his stupid face. Bubi face, you know what that means. So punchable.

I watch United games, I try to watch Atletico / Marseille and interesting CL games when time allows it. I don't go to Old Trafford anymore, but I do visit around a dozen games a season, mainly England, France and Germany. That's about it.

I don't watch the Euros, the WC and all that, but I didn't say that I don't watch the CL, at least some games. It used to be different, but since Ole and then philosopher Ten Hag my general interest in football went down.

I watch our games, which is getting harder and harder with the charlatan in charge. For the rest, see above. I don't have that much time to waste.

And yes, I can have an opinion on the list, it is depressing and no one is asking you for your permission.

Yes, exactly. Why was that one of the biggest games of the season? Germany wasn't a favourite, there was no enthusiasm in the country during the Euros (compared to 2006) and everyone I know expected Germany to go out.

Yes, I haven't seen the final, see above. I support United and I do not watch any national teams. You can question whatever you want, no one cares. Like your opinion on the list, it is ultimately meaningless.
If you haven’t seen any of the tournament that most of the list is based off, then yes your opinion is mostly meaningless, ‘cupcake’.

This is quite aggressive, unnecessary

Maybe.

All what ifs and light-years away from a Neymar or a Hazard at the same age. I'm also not entirely sold on Bellingham. We'll see how it goes.

Maybe.

All what ifs and light-years away from a Neymar or a Hazard at the same age. I'm also not entirely sold on Bellingham. We'll see how it goes.
Uh? Mbappé could quit football now and nobody sane would ever even think of comparing fecking eden hazard to him, wtf :lol::nervous:

It’s still quite weird that Neymar will end his career with no Ballon d’Or

I recall a thread on here years ago along the lines of “crazy football predictions” and I said that Neymar would never win the Ballon d’Or and Januzaj wouldn’t make it.

If you need the lottery numbers for this weekend, just give me a shout.

I think Vinícius' season has been very overrated. He had a very good run in UCL, but nothing spectacular. His overall season was irregular, and his participations with Brazil were atrocious. I'd put even Foden, Kane and Yamal above him.

Rodri is clearly the most deserving.