Ballon d’Or 2024 — post-Messi era

Rodri is extraordinary in his position but as an overall player he is a tier below your typical world class guy who makes the difference upfront, even not considering Cristiano Ronaldo, Messi or Ronaldo Nazario. Dunno, guys like Baggio, Rivaldo, Figo, Benzema, Schevchenko, Kaka after having very good seasons, not even necessarily their best seasons.

Considering the context above, I think Vinicius is the most obvious choice.
Carvajal should win it. He's had a great season individually and won La Liga, Champions League and Euro. Rodri would be my second pick. Other than that I don't think is deserved enough.

I love Carvajal to bits but he doesn't really fit in here.

Rodri is extraordinary in his position but as an overall player he is a tier below your typical world class guy who makes the difference upfront, even not considering Cristiano Ronaldo, Messi or Ronaldo Nazario. Dunno, guys like Baggio, Rivaldo, Figo, Benzema, Schevchenko, Kaka after having very good seasons, not even necessarily their best seasons.

Considering the context above, I think Vinicius is the most obvious choice.

I love Carvajal to bits but he doesn't really fit in here.

Don't think it's going to be Vini, either Rodri or well, Messi again. I think it's going to be either a EC or Copa winner. Tbf though, Carvjal has won the CL as well as the EC, but yeah I agree he might not have enough of a star appeal to win this trophy.

Should be Vinicius. Best player for the best club team. In terms of Spain I don't even think Rodri was their best player, and he got outclassed in the FA Cup final. Thought he had a pretty poor end to the season overall by his standards. Fabian Ruiz probably Spain's best player and nobody is picking him for the Ballon D'Or. Olmo also had an excellent tournament but again, not Ballon D'Or stuff really.

Don't think it's going to be Vini, either Rodri or well, Messi again. I think it's going to be either a EC or Copa winner. Tbf though, Carvjal has won the CL as well as the EC, but yeah I agree he might not have enough of a star appeal to win this trophy.
I cannot put it past FIFA to be honest.

It is not going to be Messi :lol:

Winning the WC and playing for PSG and winning the Copa playing for Miami are two different pair of shoes

Winning the WC and playing for PSG and winning the Copa playing for Miami are two different pair of shoes
He wasn't playing for PSG. He was sleepwalking for them

Add to that that messi did nothing in copa while he was the arguably the best player at wc.

:lol:

Come on, let it go, bringing Messi now as a pun like if his case in 2023 was that outraegous it's silly, WC winners have won it in the past doing a lot less than him.

Funnily enough I have a feeling that still that some player/coach would still vote him just as default/fan boyism, helped by the matter that the candidates this year are kind of not on the level of perfomances from prior years ones.

Over the whole tournament? Not a chance. Maybe in the final though he was done after 60 minutes.
Di Maria was better in the final, over the whole tournament no one came close to Messi. He dragged Argentina all the way.

Finalist announced and for the first time since 2003 the list does not include Messi or Ronaldo.

6x Madrid, 4x City, 4x Arsenal, 3x Leverkusen, 2x Roma (!), 1x Villa, 1x Atalanta, 0x United, 0x Liverpool, among others.
Final 30:

Erling Haaland (Manchester City and Norway)

Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid and England)

Phil Foden (Manchester City and England)

Ruben Dias (Manchester City and Portugal)

Toni Kroos (retired)

Federico Valverde (Real Madrid and Uruguay)

Nico Williams (Athletic Club and Spain)

Artem Dovbyk (Roma and Ukraine)

Granit Xhaka (Bayer Leverkusen and Switzerland)

Emiliano Martinez (Aston Villa and Argentina)

Kylian Mbappé (PSG/Real Madrid and France)

Lautaro Martinez (Inter and Argentina)

Ademola Lookman (Atalanta and Nigeria)

Antonio Rudiger (Real Madrid and Germany)

Alejandro Grimaldo (Bayer Leverkusen and Spain)

William Saliba (Arsenal and France)

Bukayo Saka (Arsenal and England)

Dani Carvajal (Real Madrid and Spain)

Lamine Yamal (Barcelona and Spain)

Hakan Calhanoglu (Inter and Turkiye)

Rodri (Manchester City and Spain)

Harry Kane (Bayern Munich and England)

Declan Rice (Arsenal and England)

Vitinha (PSG and Portugal)

Cole Palmer (Chelsea and England)

Martin Odegaard (Arsenal and Norway)

Dani Olmo (Barcelona and Spain)

Vinicius Jr (Real Madrid and Brazil)

Florian Wirtz (Bayer Leverkusen and Germany)

Mats Hummels (Roma and Germany)

Vini will win it imo.

It's a bit of a depressing list isn't it.
I think we just got used to Messi and Ronaldo being so freaking good that we now feel only the greatest legends of the game deserve Ballon d'Or. It wasn't always like this and I'm actually quite looking forward to the new era where it's a tight competition between many very good players.

Vini will win it imo.

Neymar not winning while Vini doing so is so sad to me. Neymar was so talented, he had periods when he was as good as Messi for barca or PSG. 2 times a player Vini is but the competition was something else.

Vini will win it imo.

I think he would be a very deserving winner. Phenomenal player.

Hope it is going to Kroos though as some sort of lifetime achievement award for one of the most decorated players ever. 6 UCLs, 7 league titles, 4 domestic cups and one WC. Finished his career with a UCL title as a starting player. In my opinion, he'd deserve it considering the competition is relatively weak this year.

I think he would be a very deserving winner. Phenomenal player.

Hope it is going to Kroos though as some sort of lifetime achievement award for one of the most decorated players ever. 6 UCLs, 7 league titles, 4 domestic cups and one WC. Finished his career with a UCL title as a starting player. In my opinion, he'd deserve it considering the competition is relatively weak this year.
I also think Vini would be a deserving winner, again we can't compare every player to Messi/Ronaldo standard of last 20 years.

There's no doubt football stars of today don't have the gravitas and uniqueness of those of old. I blame the methodical way the game is played these days. Doesn't allow for much flair.

Vini vs Bellingham vs Rodri —> Vini vs Rodri —> Vini

you heard it here first :p

Vini, Yamal, Wirtz, Olmo, Williams, Foden, Grimaldo, Vitinha, Ödegaard and Saka on the list and people say it lacks flair?

He comes out of a pretty amazing CL season to be fair. Arguably the best performing CB in the competition.

Which one was better?

2001 - Michael Owen, Raul, Oliver Kahn
2006 - Fabio Cannavaro, Gianluigi Buffon, Thierry Henry
2024 - Vini Jr, Jude Bellingham, Rodri

Which one was better?

2001 - Michael Owen, Raul, Oliver Kahn
2006 - Fabio Cannavaro, Gianluigi Buffon, Thierry Henry
2024 - Vini Jr, Jude Bellingham, Rodri
Best players - 2001 IMO. Owen was young and super promising and Raul and Khan established legends and the best or among the best in their position