Gaming Baldur's Gate III by Larian Studios (PS5, PC, Mac, Xbox Series X|S)

So I jumped over some gaps and found 2 dudes trapped in a cave by goblins, but I cant for the life of me win the ensuing fight. I obviously just stole their shipment planning to leave them to die, but I cant get out without walking into said fight.

So I jumped over some gaps and found 2 dudes trapped in a cave by goblins, but I cant for the life of me win the ensuing fight. I obviously just stole their shipment planning to leave them to die, but I cant get out without walking into said fight.
That’s a tough one. I went back at level 4 and went around the back of the grolls to fight then instead of inside the cave, makes it easier. Also you can persuade the leader to attack the others with a high enough dice roll which makes it much easier.

That’s a tough one. I went back at level 4 and went around the back of the grolls to fight then instead of inside the cave, makes it easier. Also you can persuade the leader to attack the others with a high enough dice roll which makes it much easier.
You can persuade the leader to eat himself after the fight too :). I didn't get the shipment.
Grymforge doesn't like Vulcan btw, had about 6 hard crashes in an hour maybe playing there. Switching to dx11 solved issues.

Is normal to have invisible walls when your party goes up some stairs in a house and your pan your camera around? Is it intended or is it a glitch?

Yeah I wanted to track back, but the entrance collapsed behind me. I can reload ofcourse, but I want to try and avoid any save scumming and just go where the rolls take me.

You can persuade the leader to eat himself after the fight too :). I didn't get the shipment.
Grymforge doesn't like Vulcan btw, had about 6 hard crashes in an hour maybe playing there. Switching to dx11 solved issues.
Yeah I did that too :lol:

Can’t help but feel bard is a bit cheaty at times, I get out of so many sticky situations, but I guess that’s the point. My next play will be a dumb evil fighter or something that just wants to smash shit.

Yeah I did that too :lol:

Can’t help but feel bard is a bit cheaty at times, I get out of so many sticky situations, but I guess that’s the point. My next play will be a dumb evil fighter or something that just wants to smash shit.
I'm a dumb barbarian and talk my way out of all sorts. Usually an option for '[barbarian] threaten to murder everyone' that goes a long way

You can actually talk your way to simplify that fight if you talk to the gnoll leader before combat. You can leave the cave by where it collapses and sneak around.

I’m in. It sounds very good.

Should I wait for the PS5 version? I don’t know if my laptop could handle anything other than FM and Zoombinis.

Theres 3 ways in and out of that cave. Last one dependent on spells mostly.
If your stuck starting the fight from within the cave, then back off immediately. Theres a lot of ranged gnoll if i remember right and a steep cliff right at the entrance means they're going to wreck you. I'd leave most of my characters at the back of the cave and the one doing the talking would retreat up the cliffs off to the right maybe. Maybe just run directly to the back of the cave where height will start favouring you a bit more. Chuck them in the abyss, there's always one or two around, they're probably not that heavy.

So, is this a step up from the already superb Divinity Original Sin 2?.

Larian taking the baton from Obsidian and Bioware for RPG's.

I’m in. It sounds very good.

Should I wait for the PS5 version? I don’t know if my laptop could handle anything other than FM and Zoombinis.
Probably.

Its much better with a keyboard and mouse though even though Larian have done a good job with the controller setup

I havnt played Divinity 2 but the game delivers. Best RGP since the The witcher 3. I feel a bit too old to be immersed in cutscenes so i think the pacing is a bit too slow, but i still rate it as one of best games ever made. The detail is staggering. Even though i have played around 60 hours im already looking forward to a 2nd playthrough.

I havnt played Divinity 2 but the game delivers. Best RGP since the The witcher 3. I feel a bit too old to be immersed in cutscenes so i think the pacing is a bit too slow, but i still rate it as one of best games ever made. The detail is staggering. Even though i have played around 60 hours im already looking forward to a 2nd playthrough.
If you love this Divinity 2 is also definitely worth playing. It's slightly simplified compared to BG3, but also a fantastic rpg with endless ways of achieving your goals.

If you love this Divinity 2 is also definitely worth playing. It's slightly simplified compared to BG3, but also a fantastic rpg with endless ways of achieving your goals.

I actually started it but had no idea how to get out of the 1st area and lost interest. I might revisit

Yes and no. In terms of story, hugeness and most other factors yes, but DoS2 had better combat imho.

Waiting for this game has killed my interest in playing anything else until it releases on ps5. Feel sorry for the Xbox users as I understand it's delayed until they can get the series s version working well? Killer.

It's the attention to detail, beyond anything I would expect them to do, that makes this game special. As an example:

When fighting the hag she lights the cage on fire. I cast control water to put out the fire and save the girl. Nothing special yet, right? But here is the thing, if you were to drop a bunch of water on an open cage it would get the person inside wet, so when the hag changes her appearance to look like the woman and you need to figure out which one to attack all you need to do is find the wet one.....and look at that, one of the images has "wet" as a status. Amazing.

Theres 3 ways in and out of that cave. Last one dependent on spells mostly.
If your stuck starting the fight from within the cave, then back off immediately. Theres a lot of ranged gnoll if i remember right and a steep cliff right at the entrance means they're going to wreck you. I'd leave most of my characters at the back of the cave and the one doing the talking would retreat up the cliffs off to the right maybe. Maybe just run directly to the back of the cave where height will start favouring you a bit more. Chuck them in the abyss, there's always one or two around, they're probably not that heavy.
I managed to jump back out past the boulder and just left them to die since I stole their booty anyway. It even gave me inspiration, since I'm a dirty criminal :wenger:

Why is there still no reviews from IGN or Gamespot? Is the game really this big or are they waiting for each other to see if they give it a 10.
Yeah really odd. I know the game is long but still we should have had reviews out by now. Only a few like gamingbolt, guardian etc have published them.

I’m assuming it’ll be TOTK style 10s from everyone given the noise. Seems this will be it’s main GoTy contender. Hope the hype isn’t unjustified - seems we’re getting a lot of games being hailed as greatest ever this and that these days.

What’s the combat like ? Turn based (eww hope not)? Don’t think I played baldurs gate back in the day - at least I didn’t get fully into it.

What’s the combat like ? Turn based (eww hope not)? Don’t think I played baldurs gate back in the day - at least I didn’t get fully into it.
Sort of turn based. If 2 or more characters you control have higher initiative than the enemy you can switch between them and do actions as you please until you run out and end the turn.

Stop hyping this game into the heavens people. I need to hold true to my word I wouldn't get it til after the summer.

To be fair, the hype is probably gunna leave a lot of people disappointed, expecting some instant amazement. The pace and mechanics may have some wondering what they've gotten themselves into. Until they get sucked in...

Larian has just got a lot of different things right, a lorra lorra lorra things.

Sort of turn based. If 2 or more characters you control have higher initiative than the enemy you can switch between them and do actions as you please until you run out and end the turn.

ha, didn‘t know that! That‘ll help.

It's the attention to detail, beyond anything I would expect them to do, that makes this game special. As an example:

When fighting the hag she lights the cage on fire. I cast control water to put out the fire and save the girl. Nothing special yet, right? But here is the thing, if you were to drop a bunch of water on an open cage it would get the person inside wet, so when the hag changes her appearance to look like the woman and you need to figure out which one to attack all you need to do is find the wet one.....and look at that, one of the images has "wet" as a status. Amazing.

Nice one. The hag quest is my fav so far. That Hansel and Gretel went grim vibe is hauntingly beautiful
especially with the zombi-twist at the end, or the whole whispering masks business for example
Really rich, especially since she looked kinda off already if you encounter her the first time but nothing you can pin down exactly.

I preordered the PS5 version but have a weekend free on the 26th August (wife is away whoop). I am so tempted to upgrade my 980ti so I don’t need to wait.

Just hit Act 2. 42 Hours in. Can kind of see why the reviews haven't been fast.

How are the quests compared to the Witcher 3?
It’s a very different game but every quest is meaningful and some of the side quests are spectacular, so similar in that regard. You can get a quest that seems really mundane at the start and ends up being a massive story of its own. Every nook and cranny of the world is worth exploring, there’s pretty much always something worthwhile to see.

Personally, I'm appreciating how everything seems to be relevant to the world main story. I got a bit fed up with Witcher quests, as well crafted as they were, stuff like that can feel like a chore to me when there's not much point to them. I was avoiding getting too cosy with my companions at first here as I didn't want to get bogged down in their own personal issues. Until I realised they are all very relevant and serve a purpose.

...how long is acceptable to try and figure something out yourself without looking it up?

edit: neveremind, done it, was obvious ffs.

edit: Turns out it was two things i'm stuck on and one didn't solve the other as I hoped :/ Where the feck is the inner sanctum

Got it, i'm sure that button wasn't there before...

Last edited:
Pickpocketing can make you feel like such a fecking cheat in these games. I love it :lol:

I wish there was a way to lock on to a quest, but at the same time I'm glad there isn't because just walking around aimlessly sometimes bags you a cool new thing to do.

Like the time I was in the orc camp and smashed feck out of everyone, spotted a small gap in a rock and made my main character tiny, crawl through. Long story short had to solo Auntie Ethel and then found myself in the underground caves, threatened the Devil, found a golden sword, and then ran away because there was a giant worm thing. When I got back to my group and talked to Halsin he said there was a way through some caves to get to this Tower I'm heading towards now, but it would be dangerous, and my character is all like "Nah mate, already cleared the way innit" and Halsin is like "oh shit, bruv!"

Absolutely phenomenal game so far.

I´d say somewhat similar in quality and the art style is very similar as well, so it does bring me back so to speak.

The max lvl caps at 12. That´s at bit a meh. Ive fought bosses who were lvl 16, so I thought it would be higher. Ive been maxed out for a while now.

The max lvl caps at 12. That´s at bit a meh. Ive fought bosses who were lvl 16, so I thought it would be higher. Ive been maxed out for a while now.
There is a mod that raises it to 20 I believe. Though I think you have to install it before you hit level 12, so wouldn't be any good in your scenario.

Stop hyping this game into the heavens people. I need to hold true to my word I wouldn't get it til after the summer.

Summer's basically over, just do it!

There is a mod that raises it to 20 I believe. Though I think you have to install it before you hit level 12, so wouldn't be any good in your scenario.

Where do find these things? I doubt there will come a ng+ for this but it would be awesome if they could fit it in somehow. Im on 70 hours now and trying to decide whether to find every side quest or move on to the grand finale.