Gaming Baldur's Gate III by Larian Studios (PS5, PC, Mac, Xbox Series X|S)

Was messing around with low level characters and found it surprisingly easy to murder Gale. Presume he's dead at least and wont show up later minus an arm.
I'm still on the first map I think. Underdark is pretty huge.

Last edited:
I just started Act 3 about 37 hours in. The game is already easily one of the best RPG´s ever made, but the "going back to camp" to sleep is one of the most tedious mechanics ever. If they thought a meditate option ala the Witcher 3 would make it too easy, they should just have done it so you can only fully rejuvinate whilst meditating if you have supplies(or whatever the alternative could be). Teleporting back to sleep after every prolonged fight becomes quite tedious espicially since my main character is a Wizard and I need to restore her spells constantly.

I just started Act 3 about 37 hours in. The game is already easily one of the best RPG´s ever made, but the "going back to camp" to sleep is one of the most tedious mechanics ever. If they thought a meditate option ala the Witcher 3 would make it too easy, they should just have done it so you can only fully rejuvinate whilst meditating if you have supplies(or whatever the alternative could be). Teleporting back to sleep after every prolonged fight becomes quite tedious espicially since my main character is a Wizard and I need to restore her spells constantly.
You could just double click a bed roll in your inventory in the Divinity games for the same effect.
They should change the short rests to have the effect of a long rest, give more of them and make a long rest restore your short rests. Would be a better balance.

I’m still early enough in the game but one thing I find annoying so far is that the game punishes me for getting into cutscenes before fights and it seems like the better option is always to avoid the cutscene and sneak up behind the enemy instead, even though I want to do the cutscene. Just feels like once it’s over the enemy always has first strike or high ground to feck you over.

I’m still early enough in the game but one thing I find annoying so far is that the game punishes me for getting into cutscenes before fights and it seems like the better option is always to avoid the cutscene and sneak up behind the enemy instead, even though I want to do the cutscene. Just feels like once it’s over the enemy always has first strike or high ground to feck you over.
you can seperate your group up putting them in good positions for the start of the fight and leave some in stealth before starting a conversation. Helps if the character talking is tanky though as its putting a bit of a kick me sign on their back.

Does anyone know if animal handling is functionally obsolete if you're a druid? I picked the folk hero background for mine, but I'll start the game over again if I wasted a slot.

Edit: Because of "speak with animals", that is - or just by taking animal form. If you don't go around talking to all the animals, you haven't played a Larian game before.

Last edited:
Can someone explain in simple terms what this game is? What's it similar to?

I've heard of it before but never played, and now hearing a lot of buzz about the new one.

I had a quick skim through a gameplay video and it looked like shitloads of cutscenes and some top-down turn based combat. Also some dice rolls which reminded me of Disco Elysium.

Does anyone know if animal handling is functionally obsolete if you're a druid? I picked the folk hero background for mine, but I'll start the game over again if I wasted a slot.

Edit: Because of "speak with animals", that is - or just by taking animal form. If you don't go around talking to all the animals, you haven't played a Larian game before.
I'd say it has the odd fringe use but being able to talk to animals will remove most of its uses. You cant respec backgrounds can you?

I've heard of it before but never played, and now hearing a lot of buzz about the new one.

I had a quick skim through a gameplay video and it looked like shitloads of cutscenes and some top-down turn based combat. Also some dice rolls which reminded me of Disco Elysium.
Disco Elysium probably isn't a bad comparison. The first dragon age is kind of similar but your probably going back 20+ years to the original bioware games to find an easy comparison.

I'm 37 hours in and still act 1 :lol: Close to moving on I think but just found something in my journal Shadowheart wanted to do...

It's like one of your D&D games you daft twat.

I'd say it has the odd fringe use but being able to talk to animals will remove most of its uses. You cant respec backgrounds can you?

No I don't think you can. I think I'll just restart the game. I wasn't that far in anyway, due to my crippling and constant fear of having made the wrong class choice.

No I don't think you can. I think I'll just restart the game. I wasn't that far in anyway, due to my crippling and constant fear of having made the wrong class choice.
I dont think its that significant or easy to avoid the odd occasionally less than meta choice. I'd be picking them backgrounds more based on what dialogue choices they bring up. Maybe how easy they are to get inspiration from and how well they mesh in that regard. Animal handling probably fits quite nicely with a druid for the odd time it does come up too.
I'd keep going, theres enough characters to cover all them skills comfortably enough.

97 on Metacritic now :eek:

deserved.

Some user reviews are hilarious :lol:

Graphics and animations straight outta 2010, gameplay from the 90s, ugly world design, not a single place is fun to explore, cringe dialogues all around that needs to be carried by the **narrator** (probably 2 different teams), shallow group members, camera control is done better from free assets in unity, character customization funded by (((them))). SW KOTOR had 3rd person camera and no turn based 20 years ago

Last edited:
97 on Metacritic now :eek:
Not surprised. It’s a whole new level of rpg. Never played anything with as much choice, details, immersion, dedication to story and details. So happy for Larian.

it actually reminds me a bit of Mass Effect 2 which at the time felt like it set a new bar for companions and their stories and relationships.

edit: I mean in reality it’s just a more modern and complex version-of Dragon Age Origins which is one of my favourite games ever.

Last edited:
Not surprised. It’s a whole new level of rpg. Never played anything with as much choice, details, immersion, dedication to story and details. So happy for Larian.

it actually reminds me a bit of Mass Effect 2 which at the time felt like it set a new bar for companions and their stories and relationships.

edit: I mean in reality it’s just a more modern and complex version-of Dragon Age Origins which is one of my favourite games ever.

Ok I'm officially sold after hearing that. Just need to finally finish Jedi Survivor on PC. Spent way too long tinkering with the graphics settings trying to stabilise it's performance over actually getting through it. Then Starfield coming around the corner too, what a year it's been.

Holding off buying this until I have a bit more free time, but I'm glad it's been so well received. D:OS2 was an absolutely amazing game, probably my favourite game ever, so happy for Larian that this one has hit an even wider audience.

How is this running on people´s rigs? My recommened options were Ultra on everything, but I had too many framerate drops. I have most options on high, apart from shadow detail I put on low. It looks nice and the animations are amazing detailed, but the draw distance is terrible.

My rig

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 6-Core Processor
Geforce 3060 RTX
32 GB ram

Considering I got this computer last autum, Im a bit pissed it wil probably run and look better on my PS5 which cost far less.

How is this running on people´s rigs? My recommened options were Ultra on everything, but I had too many framerate drops. I have most options on high, apart from shadow detail I put on low. It looks nice and the animations are amazing detailed, but the draw distance is terrible.

My rig

Geforce 3060 RTX
32 GB ram

Considering I got this computer last autum, Im a bit pissed it wil probably run and look better on my PS5 which cost far less.

It runs pretty well on my system with everything on ultra. I have similar GPU and RAM, but a Ryzen 7 7800X3D.
You're using Vulkan or DirectX11? It's recommended to try DX11, if you're having performance issues with Vulkan.

It runs pretty well on my system with everything on ultra. I have similar GPU and RAM, but a Ryzen 7 7800X3D.
You're using Vulkan or DirectX11? It's recommended to try DX11, if you're having performance issues with Vulkan.

I use DirectX11

My rig

Geforce 3060 RTX
32 GB ram

You should have no problems with those specs I think, though I'm not too up-to-date on AMD processors. Silly question, but have you updated your graphics drivers?

I'd try to google stuff like Baldur's Gate 3 optimization, graphics, draw distance or whatever else. Might be just one little setting that is killing your specific set-up. I am sure there are sites that will have done optimization guides. Also, I've found that when googling for help on stuff like this it often helps to add "reddit", since a lot of people ask there.

All else failing, you could go straight to https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/ and ask there. It's quite active.

Still on act 1 but I think this is one of the best games I’ve ever played.

Yeah, but I'm withholding that a little bit since Larian games often peak at the beginning. I thought it wasn't too big a problem in DOS2 though, and you have to go back to DOS for it to be undeniably true. They did the Act 1 Early Access thing here too, but I'm sure they're well aware of the shortcomings of those games with that method.

Still on act 1 but I think this is one of the best games I’ve ever played.
It really is fantastic. I saw some people whinging about the fact that it is a bit silly or goofy at times, but it's the perfect mix of everything.

I just can't shake the urge to keep restarting with new classes. They're all awesome.

I've had a few crashes to desktop right at the end of the underdark (or i presume the end, this place just keeps going and going). Theres still some bug fixing and stability tuning needed i'd say. Maybe the camera needs adjusting in a couple of parts too. Pretty smooth in terms of framerate and so on for me though.

Little nitpicks: don't like the forced Larian-launcher. Totally unnecessary and doesn't look good either.

Often I forgot I split up my gang so end up fast-travelling with only one..notice it too late so have to manually load up the other area with the rest of the feckers to then send 'em manually where the leader is. Alternative would be a simple toggle option to easily summon the rest without the need to load up two areas alltogether for split seconds.

Also the hiding-mode keybind seems a little bit unresponsive and I don't think the little icon actually indicates which mode I'm in so when it has to happen quick it's getting a bit messy at times. Not a biggie but could have been better imho.

My rig

Geforce 3060 RTX
32 GB ram

Got your drivers up to date? There was an nvidia release a few days ago for bg3.

You should have no problems with those specs I think, though I'm not too up-to-date on AMD processors. Silly question, but have you updated your graphics drivers?

I'd try to google stuff like Baldur's Gate 3 optimization, graphics, draw distance or whatever else. Might be just one little setting that is killing your specific set-up. I am sure there are sites that will have done optimization guides. Also, I've found that when googling for help on stuff like this it often helps to add "reddit", since a lot of people ask there.

All else failing, you could go straight to https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/ and ask there. It's quite active.

I updated my drivers after i installed the game. I can see there is a new driver update already which i havnt installed. Its just hard for me to gauge how much i should have on ultra with the rig i have. I know from other games that fps drops can drastically decrease and increase from one patch to another. I havnt been a pc gamer since i was a teenager so im so out of touch with knowing what performance settings i should be able to run. It still looks great though, but the draw distance for characters are terrible. When i teleport back to a place where a merchant is close he is invisible untill i have a character 20 meters close to him.

Little nitpicks: don't like the forced Larian-launcher. Totally unnecessary and doesn't look good either.

Often I forgot I split up my gang so end up fast-travelling with only one..notice it too late so have to manually load up the other area with the rest of the feckers to then send 'em manually where the leader is. Alternative would be a simple toggle option to easily summon the rest without the need to load up two areas alltogether for split seconds.

Also the hiding-mode keybind seems a little bit unresponsive and I don't think the little icon actually indicates which mode I'm in so when it has to happen quick it's getting a bit messy at times. Not a biggie but could have been better imho.
You can disable the launcher with a steam command. Look it up.

Why is there still no reviews from IGN or Gamespot? Is the game really this big or are they waiting for each other to see if they give it a 10.

I finally left Act 1 after 77 hours according to steam stats :lol:

Waiting for the PS5 release. Was looking on Hit (Base) to preorder for ages and realised its digital only! Are there any reviews yet of how it plays on console? The Divinity games ran well enough so I’m not too worried but the deluxe edition is £65 so I want to make sure of it. Reviews of the PC version are making me v excited.

wow - just had a look into the steam forum and it seems 50% of the threads are complaining about gay & woke stuff. Christ, some people seem to prefer not to enjoy something great just because reasons.

Waiting for the PS5 release. Was looking on Hit (Base) to preorder for ages and realised its digital only! Are there any reviews yet of how it plays on console? The Divinity games ran well enough so I’m not too worried but the deluxe edition is £65 so I want to make sure of it. Reviews of the PC version are making me v excited.

The controller UI/controls on PC are supposedly very good, so I wouldn't worry about that part of it. Performance shouldn't be any issue either.

wow - just had a look into the steam forum and it seems 50% of the threads are complaining about gay & woke stuff. Christ, some people seem to prefer not to enjoy something great just because reasons.
Insecure twats just being insecure twats. If their best argument is that something is "woke" without being able to explain it any further then we might as well worry about the thoughts and opinions of a wooden spoon.