Gaming Baldur's Gate III by Larian Studios (PS5, PC, Mac, Xbox Series X|S)

On my moustache twirlingly evil cnut save, Shadowheart was just as evil as my character and had max approval where even Minthara was like "steady now" with some of the evil goings on.

If you go full evil with Shadowheart, she fully devotes to Shar, becomes a dark justiciar, eventually becomes leader of the Sharrans, murders her parents, murders Nightsong (daughter of Selune), defiles a shrine of Selune with Nightsong's blood and fecks you in front of it.
I tried that approach but she told me that she might not have time for me. Darkfyre doesn't **** for nobody. So I reloaded the save and betrayed her. Now she's all whiney and telling me that she doesn't want to see me again like a dumb child when I tell them on their birthday that their dancing is shit. If my kids can't take a few truth bombs from time to time then what's the point.

I accidentally pissed off the dog in Act 1 but went non lethal to just knock it out. Never saw it again.
FFS not even my evil character could do that. I still had him come and find me at the camp so I could give him pets and then infect him with a tadpole

Act 2 is aesthetically very Bloodborne/Elden Ring isn’t it? (yes I know the game was early access for like 3 years)

Act 2 is aesthetically very Bloodborne/Elden Ring isn’t it? (yes I know the game was early access for like 3 years)
You couldn't access Act 2 in Early Access so it's new for everyone!

If we're looking at a FromSoft comparison, New Londo is closest. Of course you can't drink any boss under the table in any Souls game so they are obsolete as far as I'm concerned.

Took a break from attempting Raphael and zombie dragon. Managed to defeat Orin first time so was definitely doing it in the wrong order.

Question for anyone who has completed the game, does taking on big brain end the game? Or can you load up a post fight save to take on the harder end bosses like Raphael?

Took a break from attempting Raphael and zombie dragon. Managed to defeat Orin first time so was definitely doing it in the wrong order.

Question for anyone who has completed the game, does taking on big brain end the game? Or can you load up a post fight save to take on the harder end bosses like Raphael?
The second you take that boat to take on the big brain (the one in the temple of Bhaal thats surrounded by rats), theres no going back. You get a prompt warning you. Another warning - you can't change your party when you reach that point either, so pick carefully. Don't want to spoil anything, but its a good idea to have Karlach in it too if you can.

I caved in and bought it for PS5 today after winning quite a bit of money with an accumulator at a bookie last weekend. I haven’t really properly researched it or played their previous games, just knew it was supposed to be excellent and everyone has been raving about it for the last three weeks.

How accessible is it for someone who hasn’t really played this type of games before? I loved the Witcher but it doesn’t seem to be anything like it.

As I also bought Divinity Original Sin 2 on Switch, am I better off playing that one first as I’ll otherwise feel underwhelmed by it if I play it later (with it being the older game) or does it not matter?

As I also bought Divinity Original Sin 2 on Switch, am I better off playing that one first as I’ll otherwise feel underwhelmed by it if I play it later (with it being the older game) or does it not matter?
I'd say BG3 is definitely easier and more accessible so I'd start with that.

If you never played a CRPG before, the learning curve will be steep but it's worth it.

I'd say BG3 is definitely easier and more accessible so I'd start with that.

If you never played a CRPG before, the learning curve will be steep but it's worth it.
Thanks. How good are PS5 controls? I don’t own a PC so didn’t really have a choice but heard they were all right.

How accessible is it for someone who hasn’t really played this type of games before? I loved the Witcher but it doesn’t seem to be anything like it.

I had never played anything like it before, was very sceptical to turn based combat, but i love it, and am on my 3rd playthrough... already planned 4th and 5th :lol:
No shame in lowering to easiest difficulty on your first run, to learn the game, i did so on both my 2 first games.
Theres aparantly 17000 different endings, so i have many games left!

Am still on Act 1 - trying not to miss too much but know I have missed some.

I can see me replaying this for months I have no idea what is gonna happen at every turn at the moment.

I bought DOS2 after playing BG3 and it did feel a bit underwhelming, they've optimised a lot of the stuff so well since then.

I’d play DOS2 first to be honest. It’s sort of like if you played BotW after TotK. They’re incredibly similar games but BG3 is just far, far more accessible so DOS2 could feel quite irritating to play in comparison after, and it’s an incredible video game in its own right and deserves to be played.

I had never played anything like it before, was very sceptical to turn based combat, but i love it, and am on my 3rd playthrough... already planned 4th and 5th :lol:
No shame in lowering to easiest difficulty on your first run, to learn the game, i did so on both my 2 first games.
Theres aparantly 17000 different endings, so i have many games left!
I actually love turn based, Fire Emblem, Persona and Advance Wars are one of my favorite series of all time and I've enjoyed pretty much every turn based strategy I've ever played.

I’d play DOS2 first to be honest. It’s sort of like if you played BotW after TotK. They’re incredibly similar games but BG3 is just far, far more accessible so DOS2 could feel quite irritating to play in comparison after, and it’s an incredible video game in its own right and deserves to be played.
Crap… the problem is I really, really want to start BG3 and I fear I’d be rushing DOS2 just to get to BG.

Crap… the problem is I really, really want to start BG3 and I fear I’d be rushing DOS2 just to get to BG.
Play Baldur's Gate 3. DOS2 as your very first CRPG is a terrible choice, really - it's pretty fecking hard, and its main appeal is the tactical combat as the writing, plot, characters are mediocre, overall. Learning the entire genre on one of its hardest, most complex representative is not a great idea.

BG3 is a lot more fun, too, but that's my subjective opinion.

I actually love turn based, Fire Emblem, Persona and Advance Wars are one of my favorite series of all time and I've enjoyed pretty much every turn based strategy I've ever played.
If you like Persona you'll love this. This is up there with Persona 5 as one of my favourite RPGs of the last decade.

You'll need a very basic understanding the DnD 5e (5th edition) rules, but essentially it comes down to almost everything you do in this game being a roll of the dice. And depending on your stats, you'll have boosted modifiers for your dice rolls. E.g. you want to lockpick a door that requires a roll of '10', if you have a high dexterity score it'll add to whatever you roll and compound it, etc. If you want more details this is a pretty good primer video on it:

But knowing your posting history here and understanding the games you like, I can say very confidently you'll love this.

Oh and forget DOS and just jump straight into this.

The main problem with playing DOS2 first is that it doesn't do a good job of teaching you the mechanics, which can lead to some frustrating moments. If you've never played a CRPG before you're bound to be confused by a lot of the stuff it throws at you. It's also an inferior game story wise, in terms of what you can do, companion interactions, companion stories and user friendliness of the UI.

A lot of the more frustrating elements of DOS2 are fixed in BG3. It would be a shame if a frustrating experience with DOS2 caused you to not play BG3 because it is a much better game and one you really shouldn’t miss.

Only compared to BG3. Which has more to do with BG3 than DOS2 really.
Meh, personally I think DOS 2 is well worth giving a go before BG3 especially for @Sarni who loves turn based combat in games. It would be different if he had never played that sort of game before because BG3 is far more accessible to conventional gamers.

Just got the Bhaal ending as the Dark Urge. Guess I was an evil bastard all along.

This is my game of the year, without a doubt. I'm already looking forward to my next playthrough.

Regarding the final fight.
Once I realised you didn't need to fight anything and just rush to the brain it wasn't too bad. Although the brain wiped out my entire party but my character and heavily damaged octopus Orpheus with a move to remove the platforms. Luckily my Dark Urge character has a one use move to 100% kill any enemy with less than 100 hit points.

So I’ve started this today after all and got sucked in immediately, managed to clock almost 3 hours already.

I love the battle system, though get slightly overwhelmed by the amount of spells / skills / abilities. I reckon I won’t have to know literally every single thing though to have fun and progress through the game. I need to figure out the whole action / bonus action better. It’s actually much more accessible so far than I expected it to be.

I’ve just done the Shar trials and I’m at the verge of the shadows. The game is warning me that I may change the landscape and some quests may become unavailable. Should I take this to mean I should do everything else first? I’ve still not even gone to Moonrise Towers.

I’ve just done the Shar trials and I’m at the verge of the shadows. The game is warning me that I may change the landscape and some quests may become unavailable. Should I take this to mean I should do everything else first? I’ve still not even gone to Moonrise Towers.
Yeah, its pretty much the last thing you should do.

Nearing the end now. I don't understand why they cap you at level 12 when you can earn so much more XP. It feels kinda lame not being able to level up anymore. I read somewhere it's because end game DnD spells are too powerful but I'm sure they could get around that with some clever game design.

Nearing the end now. I don't understand why they cap you at level 12 when you can earn so much more XP. It feels kinda lame not being able to level up anymore. I read somewhere it's because end game DnD spells are too powerful but I'm sure they could get around that with some clever game design.

That is definitely the reason. They maybe could have gotten to level 14 (level 7 spells), but there is some crazy shit in 8 and level 9 is stupid. How stupid you ask? Well, BG3 shows you how stupid if you defy Vlaakith. If you do this she casts Wish on you Wishes you to cease existing. Game over.

That is definitely the reason. They maybe could have gotten to level 14 (level 7 spells), but there is some crazy shit in 8 and level 9 is stupid. How stupid you ask? Well, BG3 shows you how stupid if you defy Vlaakith. If you do this she casts Wish on you Wishes you to cease existing. Game over.
That was a very surprising game over :lol:

Couldn't they just avoid all the stupid ones? I'd be okay with no new spells too. Just give an HP bump, new feats and allow you to do more multi class stuff.

Couldn't they just avoid all the stupid ones? I'd be okay with no new spells too. Just give an HP bump, new feats and allow you to do more multi class stuff.
The problem is that casters need those spells to scale with non casters. Upper level non magic classes are crazy strong and casters stuck down in level 6 would be at a serious disadvantage. I guess you could cap feats and class skills and just bump HP and maybe spell slots.

Had to reload a save and flee from Ethel. She was destroying me. I'll be back later when I level up once or twice. But by that point she could be gone and Mayrina will probably be dead.

Had to reload a save and flee from Ethel. She was destroying me. I'll be back later when I level up once or twice. But by that point she could be gone and Mayrina will probably be dead.
Hints for Ethel that worked for me in Early Access (so max of level 5) if you want them:

1. When she sets the cage on fire have someone cast create water on it. This will not only put the fire out, but when Ethel mimic's Mayrina the real Mayrina will have "wet" as a condition while Ethel will not.
2. Magic missiles are your friend! When she copies herself you can cast MM and her copies will disappear with a single hit.

Hints for Ethel that worked for me in Early Access (so max of level 5) if you want them:

1. When she sets the cage on fire have someone cast create water on it. This will not only put the fire out, but when Ethel mimic's Mayrina the real Mayrina will have "wet" as a condition while Ethel will not.
2. Magic missiles are your friend! When she copies herself you can cast MM and her copies will disappear with a single hit.
I did number 1 to save Mayrina but I was too dense to notice the condition of the clones.

I need to bring more mages/spellcasters, I think. Had just Shadowheart covering that and she's a cleric really. Might roll with two and drop Lae'zel for a while.

I'm a little into Act 2 but I am determined to try and get through my first run with the original party I chose.

Maybe stupid but I think it's a decent goal for the first play through.

I'm a little into Act 2 but I am determined to try and get through my first run with the original party I chose.

Maybe stupid but I think it's a decent goal for the first play through.
Not stupid at all. It will definitely increase the replayability of the game. There is so much additional, companion specific, content that it may feel like a different game on replay.

Not stupid at all. It will definitely increase the replayability of the game. There is so much additional, companion specific, content that it may feel like a different game on replay.
I can see me still playing this in two years it's awesome.