Gaming Baldur's Gate III by Larian Studios (PS5, PC, Mac, Xbox Series X|S)

The Oathbreaker Knight is fecking cool. I don't know exactly how I broke my oath and why he came calling but I'm joining him on that path.

Some dumb shit on my most recent session on this.

- I freed the Tieflings and Wulbren. Managed to get them to leave on the boat and hid from the Warden and the guards that follow through the hole. Worked back round to the front of the prison and nobody alerted. But it the warden and the guards from that investigative group ever see me it activates combat. Even though I was never seen freeing the tieflings. The guards that didn’t enter the hole don’t alert.

- It gave me the option to warn Jaheira about Marcus at the Last Light Inn but I swear he’s the one that tried to kidnap Isobel who I already killed. Now she’s hush hush discussing it in the courtyard saying we should talk somewhere more private but not actually going anywhere. And all this is about someone we already fought and killed.

- Spent hours looking for the Duke and Zevlor in Moonrise Towers. Picking locks in doors, dodging everyone seeing me, etc… only to just google it and realise they’re locked behind the main quest that needs to progress. How the feck was I supposed to know that?

- I freed the Tieflings and Wulbren. Managed to get them to leave on the boat and hid from the Warden and the guards that follow through the hole. Worked back round to the front of the prison and nobody alerted. But it the warden and the guards from that investigative group ever see me it activates combat. Even though I was never seen freeing the tieflings. The guards that didn’t enter the hole don’t alert.

- It gave me the option to warn Jaheira about Marcus at the Last Light Inn but I swear he’s the one that tried to kidnap Isobel who I already killed. Now she’s hush hush discussing it in the courtyard saying we should talk somewhere more private but not actually going anywhere. And all this is about someone we already fought and killed.

- Spent hours looking for the Duke and Zevlor in Moonrise Towers. Picking locks in doors, dodging everyone seeing me, etc… only to just google it and realise they’re locked behind the main quest that needs to progress. How the feck was I supposed to know that?
Wait, are you saying you killed Isobel? You monster, if so.

As for the Duke they certainly say at some point that he's kept somewhere special, not where the normal prisoners are kept. And you can suss out the presence of the mindflayer colony (and even get down there — just from the wrong side that doesn't allow you to meet the brain) before fighting Ketheric.

As for the Duke they certainly say at some point that he's kept somewhere special, not where the normal prisoners are kept. And you can suss out the presence of the mindflayer colony (and even get down there — just from the wrong side that doesn't allow you to meet the brain) before fighting Ketheric.

Yeah I was down there and could see someone called Chop but could reach the area. Wasn’t the most obvious imo. I was checking all the locked rooms in Moonrise and risking so much only for him to be nowhere near there and essentially locked behind a fight/cutscene

I caved in and bought it for PS5 today after winning quite a bit of money with an accumulator at a bookie last weekend. I haven’t really properly researched it or played their previous games, just knew it was supposed to be excellent and everyone has been raving about it for the last three weeks.

How accessible is it for someone who hasn’t really played this type of games before? I loved the Witcher but it doesn’t seem to be anything like it.

As I also bought Divinity Original Sin 2 on Switch, am I better off playing that one first as I’ll otherwise feel underwhelmed by it if I play it later (with it being the older game) or does it not matter?

Bg3 is totally worth it. Best game in a decade almost. Accessible enough. Couldnt quite get going with divinity 2 personally but this one is awesome.

How am I supposed to defeat Balthazar when the little rat cnut keeps running away and summons about 40 enemies.

I've only just learned what "camp casting" is. For feck sake, I've been struggling badly while everyone else is laden down with buffs.

I've only just learned what "camp casting" is. For feck sake, I've been struggling badly while everyone else is laden down with buffs.
If it makes you feel any better, I always forgot about all the 'until long rest' buffs.

I got the lvl 6 buff that you can only cast out of combat and literally never used it.

Yeah I forget stuff constantly. I also have like 40 scrolls on me I forget to use and 11k in gold that can never seem to spend. Just started Act 3.

Yeah I forget stuff constantly. I also have like 40 scrolls on me I forget to use and 11k in gold that can never seem to spend. Just started Act 3.
The only time I used any of my mountain of scrolls was the final battle.

You may already know this, but for the new players: Wizards can copy any compatible spell into their spellbook if they have the scroll and enough money. Great way to expand Gale (and other Wizards) repertoire.

Got a bug I think. Gale is talking to me about a contract I “just signed” with Raphael. I’ve not even seen him since Act 2.

Gale spoiling the game for you through a bug is something.

Already disliked him. Having to save and reload and will avoid speaking to him. Need to pass a ridiculously high skill check that I’d just done and now I’m constantly rolling 2s and 3s :)

Got a bug I think. Gale is talking to me about a contract I “just signed” with Raphael. I’ve not even seen him since Act 2.
Yeah, it happens. It doesn’t affect anything though.

Yeah some things trigger in a weird order. Particularly in act 3. It has potential to happen with everyone really, i wouldn't go too far out of my way to avoid a character.

My god I popped in the sewers just to see what was down there and I swear it’s been like 6 hours :lol:

My god I popped in the sewers just to see what was down there and I swear it’s been like 6 hours :lol:
I might quote this once while taking it wildly out of context.

I might quote this once while taking it wildly out of context.

:lol:

It’s overwhelming. I keep popping out in the basement of random buildings and then I get the reverse of how I probably should’ve discovered something.

What a monumentally STUPID decision it was to buy this the day before I go back to work.

3hrs in and Im in love. An animal talking druid whos one with nature.

This is going to be wonderful.

A small thing that impressed me. I was fighting the red caps in the bog and I jumped up on a rock to get higher ground advantage and my character slipped. I was thinking; "What the feck?" then I realised it's you're jumping on a moss-covered rock in a river. Of course you'd slip. My thought process was like this...

mourning-nod.gif

:lol:

I liked that there was no warning before I jumped on it. No hand-holding, they just expected you to use common sense.

Now I've gone down a well and saw there is webs everywhere. Fecking hate spiders in games.

Haven't had much chance to play the last week but I am currently in act 2, in the temple of shar. Been doing trials and met some guy who works for act 2s main antagonist, tempted to just kill him if I am honest. Also found some massive orc group and I am convinced there is a way to talk to them but not figured out how yet.

Also I started act 2 by killing that spider thing that's supposed to lead you through the shadows.

Overall I think I preferred act one to act two so far. It felt like a better balance between fighting and dialogue, where so far this has felt a lot more fighting with very little dialogue, I have been to the village too

Haven't had much chance to play the last week but I am currently in act 2, in the temple of shar. Been doing trials and met some guy who works for act 2s main antagonist, tempted to just kill him if I am honest. Also found some massive orc group and I am convinced there is a way to talk to them but not figured out how yet.

Also I started act 2 by killing that spider thing that's supposed to lead you through the shadows.

Overall I think I preferred act one to act two so far. It felt like a better balance between fighting and dialogue, where so far this has felt a lot more fighting with very little dialogue, I have been to the village too
To be fair there are at least 4 bosses in act 2 that you can convince to kill themselves (including the “orc” that you’re talking about), so you get your fair share of dialogs!

Oh no. This is going to consume my life, isnt it. Im only 2-3hrs in and I havent felt like this about a videogame since TW3. But that was 8 and a half years ago. I'm 35 years old now.

Ah well sure look

Finished this last night. It’s great. I’d give it a 9/10.
But…
man was the ending really underwhelming. The final boss battle was a bit shit - you get inside the brain and just have to bash it within 5 times — but more importantly everything just briefly ends.

I got one dialogue scene with Shadowheart saying how we can live together forever and that was it.

Lae’zel’s ending makes sense to me, but there was no option to say that you’re happy to go with her to help?

Karlach (I didn’t really use her much so meh) - goes back to hell; Gale very easily is persuaded by me to not try and become a God, and that was it…

Nothing in camp, no final words, nothing. Just credits after banging Shadowheart one last time (that they didn’t even show on screen either)