Gaming Baldur's Gate III by Larian Studios (PS5, PC, Mac, Xbox Series X|S)

New update dropped. You can change your character's appearance at camp.

Like fully? I didn’t realise how fecking ugly my guy was until I saw him in cutscenes. He’s been wearing a drow hood ever since.

Like fully? I didn’t realise how fecking ugly my guy was until I saw him in cutscenes. He’s been wearing a drow hood ever since.

I haven't tried it out yet. I'm hoping it's fully because mine's an uggo too. His facial expressions in cutscenes are terrifying.

I basically made David Beckham despite trying to make a half elf version of me. I don’t know how, I look nothing like him, but there he was. So yeah it was a bit jarring walking around as David Beckham saving the day.

I basically made David Beckham despite trying to make a half elf version of me. I don’t know how, I look nothing like him, but there he was. So yeah it was a bit jarring walking around as David Beckham saving the day.

I used to always try and make characters look a bit like me but eventually I just got bored of creating the same look. Tried to make this one look as out there as possible. My guy is a red tiefling with blue hair, white eyes and a mouth tattoo. But also he looks bizarre in cutscenes especially with the mouth animations :lol:

Accidentally made my guardian look way cooler than me.

I have to see this.

I almost always create badass female characters that tend to have a fresh french look. Dunno what I‘d do if I‘ve ever play a live rpg.

I almost always create badass female characters that tend to have a fresh french look. Dunno what I‘d do if I‘ve ever play a live rpg.

Dress up like one. I bet you'd look sweet.

I used to always try and make characters look a bit like me but eventually I just got bored of creating the same look. Tried to make this one look as out there as possible. My guy is a red tiefling with blue hair, white eyes and a mouth tattoo. But also he looks bizarre in cutscenes especially with the mouth animations :lol:

Accidentally made my guardian look way cooler than me.
I always find it funny how shocked and exaggeratedly expressive my character is during every cut scene.

*Evil, world ending monstrosity appears before me*

me, a hard arse battle worn Drow Warlock: (⊙_⊙) \(º □ º l|l)/

There was a pillar thing?
It was a fight that i died a couple times on which makes it feel notable for being one of the tougher ones. Getting help from the big guy helps and can swing the difficulty a lot. I focused down pillars, mostly ignored adds which kind of died to random aoe damage and opportunity attacks and remembered to stop casting radiant spells and killing half my characters in the first turn.
I think i mostly tried to stay out of Raphaels way for a lot of the early turns.
I was talking about Ansur, Raphael doesn’t do any lightning damage. He’s doing a brutal AoE spell and theoretically you should be able to hide behind crystal pillars but you can’t — or couldn’t, they seemed to change it in the update.

I was talking about Ansur, Raphael doesn’t do any lightning damage. He’s doing a brutal AoE spell and theoretically you should be able to hide behind crystal pillars but you can’t — or couldn’t, they seemed to change it in the update.
Destroying the pillars will dramatically nerf Raphael.

Can hopefully start my 4th playthrough tomorrow.
Just got to act 3, but third playthrough has been much quicker, i know all the quests and fights now, and have gotten better at building my companions.

Not sure if i want to play a good durge paladin, or a super lawful good paladin... not sure i can do the fully evil path.

Does he sport a curling kick attack?

Im going start a new character as piers morgan. Im going to blow smoke up people's assholes and when they react negatively im going to use the free speech skill and run away.

Told myself I wasn't going to save scum but I did.

After the goblin attack early on I walked a little further and went into that cave behind the big door covered in moss. That bird statue downed Astarion and killed him. I panicked and used a scroll of revivify on him, thinking I could quickly move him back out of the line of sight when he got up. I couldn't. Panicked again and sent Shadowheart in to help, she got killed too.

I then said "Feck that." and reloaded. Edit: On reflection, that wasn't a save scum. It was a reload scum.

Told myself I wasn't going to save scum but I did.

After the goblin attack early on I walked a little further and went into that cave behind the big door covered in moss. That bird statue downed Astarion and killed him. I panicked and used a scroll of revivify on him, thinking I could quickly move him back out of the line of sight when he got up. I couldn't. Panicked again and sent Shadowheart in to help, she got killed too.

I then said "Feck that." and reloaded. Edit: On reflection, that wasn't a save scum. It was a reload scum.

Yeah I found it really hard not to early on. Especially if I wasn’t really aware of the implications of a single dialogue choice or action and it led me down a path I wasn’t intending. Though when people have died I’ve just revived them but haven’t needed it since I’ve gotten a bit stronger.

Though I’ve just saved Isobel at the Last Light Inn and noticed Rolan died in the fight. Part of me wanted to reload but I’m resisting because there has to be some death in my story. I shouldn’t really be able to save everyone.

I reloaded to save Isobel because apparently the punishment for letting her get kidnapped is incredibly harsh. Think that was basically my only one in the game that I can think of.

Yeah I found it really hard not to early on. Especially if I wasn’t really aware of the implications of a single dialogue choice or action and it led me down a path I wasn’t intending. Though when people have died I’ve just revived them but haven’t needed it since I’ve gotten a bit stronger.

Though I’ve just saved Isobel at the Last Light Inn and noticed Rolan died in the fight. Part of me wanted to reload but I’m resisting because there has to be some death in my story. I shouldn’t really be able to save everyone.
I'll let the dialogue dice rolls play out however it may but I won't make any promises about reloading again in a bird statue situation.

Like the Edowin, Brynna, Ederick encounter up the road from there. I was playing it polite and casual and let them know I was a bit unsure of the Absolute/True Soul stuff. Boom, instant combat. I was leaning towards helping them too but that's them dead now.

Am I way off, or have they quite obviously just used famous actor faces for some of the defaults in character creation? :lol:

The first three male dwarf faces for example... that's just Robert DeNiro, Tom Hanks and Robin Williams, isn't it?

Screenshot-2023-09-23-175551.png
Screenshot-2023-09-23-175600.png
Screenshot-2023-09-23-175609.png

Stoned Tom Hanks but yeah, there are certainly some similarities.

Yeah only having like 5 head options is a bit pants.

Yeah, it's not the best character creation suite ever made. My biggest gripe is the voice selection, though.

My massive battle-hardened half-orc war cleric just has to sound like generic middle class English fella #3, because there's not even a vocal pitch slider or anything.

Yeah, it's not the best character creation suite ever made. My biggest gripe is the voice selection, though.

My massive battle-hardened half-orc war cleric just has to sound like generic middle class English fella #3, because there's not even a vocal pitch slider or anything.

Yeah I had to change mine because I kept thinking it was Gale talking.

This game man

The wyrm quest is amazing. My jaw was on the floor when a certain individual's true identity was revealed. An amazing quest with great puzzles (magic puzzles are awesome), dialogue was great and the boss fight was pretty epic

Last edited:
How often do you all long rest? Is there a disadvantage to it?
A couple of quests have a timed element with going back to camp pushing time forward. But otherwise i try to do it pretty often. A lot of story content is tied to long rests.

How often do you all long rest? Is there a disadvantage to it?

In the beginning, never. Most if Act 1 was a slog because of it. By the time I came into the third act, I did so frequently. I ended up long resting after every big boss battle, when I needed to refresh spell slots or very tough encounters.

There are a handful of situations where if you long rest the game world will move on without you, but those scenarios are often triggered by you being told someone is in imminent danger for some reason or other. A good rule of thumb is if you find out someone is about to die or a situation seems like it is extremely urgent it probably isn't wise to long rest.

On the other hand, a bunch of companion quests don't actually progress until you long rest, so you shouldn't be too greedy with it either. A lot of interesting story elements happen in camp.

My first playthrough was an evil warlock, but I abandoned it midway through act3 due to some major bugs.

second (completed) run was as a chaotic good half orc, which was fun.

I am now thoroughly enjoying my Dark Urge BardBarian. A sweet innocent Drow girl whose entire Bard persona is just a charade to hide her true nature. Sometimes the facade drops and the Urge takes over (hence the Barbarian aspect). She has done some dark shit when nobody is watching.

I’m trying it on tactician and things are definitely more challenging - it feels like I miss on every single roll that isn’t at least 70% chance.

Drows have a hard time convincing anyone that they're sweet and innocent.

Well the plan was for gratuitous use of Disguise Self, but unfortunately disguising yourself removes your “dark urge” tag so you don’t get any of the Urge dialogue or options.

Well the plan was for gratuitous use of Disguise Self, but unfortunately disguising yourself removes your “dark urge” tag so you don’t get any of the Urge dialogue or options.
That's a bit shit. Why would a simple disguise remove my innermost desire to commit extreme violence?

That's a bit shit. Why would a simple disguise remove my innermost desire to commit extreme violence?

Yeah, I was a bit surprised. Felt I wasnt really getting as much Dark Urge content as I had been expecting in Act1. Tested it in a certain scene and sure enough, as soon as I removed my disguise I got an option I didnt get before. I get that Disguise Self can change your character tags - hence why you can get the new race-specific dialogue - but for it to remove the Dark Urge tag seems unintended and/or stupid.

What’s everyone’s go to moves/spells? I feel like I should mix it up a bit because I found things that work but I might be missing out on other tactics.

With my rogue I usually either do a distance attack or I use double handed melee to hit twice, followed by two off hand attacks.

Shart is used mainly as a healer/bless but also decent at distance and has a bonus action attack that pulls an enemy in with vines.

Karlach/La’zael have solid athleticism and strength so I always have them in the thick of it and often use action surges to get about 5 attacks in for them per turn which is very helpful.

With Wyll I basically spam Eldritch Blast. It’s accurate and can hit twice which is always good but he lacks a good bonus action so I never get to do anything other than shove afterwards.

Gale is out of my party at the min but I do find him a bit weak. I’ve upgraded him to have some fiercer attacks but not used him yet. And Astorian hasn’t been in my party since early Act 1 since my own character is a rogue. I’ll use him more second play through.

What’s everyone’s go to moves/spells? I feel like I should mix it up a bit because I found things that work but I might be missing out on other tactics.

With my rogue I usually either do a distance attack or I use double handed melee to hit twice, followed by two off hand attacks.

Shart is used mainly as a healer/bless but also decent at distance and has a bonus action attack that pulls an enemy in with vines.

Karlach/La’zael have solid athleticism and strength so I always have them in the thick of it and often use action surges to get about 5 attacks in for them per turn which is very helpful.

With Wyll I basically spam Eldritch Blast. It’s accurate and can hit twice which is always good but he lacks a good bonus action so I never get to do anything other than shove afterwards.

Gale is out of my party at the min but I do find him a bit weak. I’ve upgraded him to have some fiercer attacks but not used him yet. And Astorian hasn’t been in my party since early Act 1 since my own character is a rogue. I’ll use him more second play through.
By Act 3, my strategy was simple:

1. Cast Haste on Lae'zel.
2. Lae'zel wrecks everything.
3. Profit.

The others were doing stuff too I guess. Create Water + Chain Lightning was always real nice in a crowd.

I assume you’re using the stealth attacks with your rogue? They can one shot a lot of enemies.

Gale only really becomes useful once you unlock more powerful AoE spells. He’s great in late act 2 and act 3.

I assume you’re using the stealth attacks with your rogue? They can one shot a lot of enemies.

Gale only really becomes useful once you unlock more powerful AoE spells. He’s great in late act 2 and act 3.

I try to. Surprise attacks have been helpful but I guess that’s always pre-battle right? Unless I go invisible maybe.

I try to. Surprise attacks have been helpful but I guess that’s always pre-battle right? Unless I go invisible maybe.
There’s a specific sneak attack you can use both melee and ranged. Can’t remember the name. You don’t need to be invisible or pre-battle, you just need advantage on the enemy. That could be by being invisible, hiding, having higher ground, being behind them etc.

You can use it throughout the entire fight if you keep positioning your rogue well. Make sure to equip them with stuff that gives Misty Step, Fly, and Invisible as soon as you get them. They’re invaluable for a rogue.

Finished it last night. I think overall I enjoyed it slightly less than DOS2 (which is no slight, DOS2 might be my favourite game). I think part of that was having no real magic dealer beyond Shadowheart due too me specing into Paladin and somehow completely missing Gale at the start.

Time for a quick break and then i'll do a rerun.

No spoilers but the music for the final fight in House of Hope really got me smiling, dude really has a Disney villain song.