Gaming Baldur's Gate III by Larian Studios (PS5, PC, Mac, Xbox Series X|S)

Finished this last night. It’s great. I’d give it a 9/10.
But…
man was the ending really underwhelming. The final boss battle was a bit shit - you get inside the brain and just have to bash it within 5 times — but more importantly everything just briefly ends.

I got one dialogue scene with Shadowheart saying how we can live together forever and that was it.

Lae’zel’s ending makes sense to me, but there was no option to say that you’re happy to go with her to help?

Karlach (I didn’t really use her much so meh) - goes back to hell; Gale very easily is persuaded by me to not try and become a God, and that was it…

Nothing in camp, no final words, nothing. Just credits after banging Shadowheart one last time (that they didn’t even show on screen either)
Yeah there have been a lot of complaints about the ending. I think they’re working on expanding it a lot.

so weird that they mentioned a camp party and then nothing came of it. Surely that would’ve been the perfect place to tie everything up with everyone.

Are those harpies on the beach in emrald grove supposed to be mad powerful??

The ones who enchant the tiefling kid?

They fecked me up first time round too. Think I just wasn't expecting it. Took me like 45 minutes to win that fight :lol:

Hoping to get this near Christmas when hopefully it will have been patched and they'll have sorted out any problems with Act 3 (i think it's Act/Chapter 3 that people seem to be moaning about).

Also plan to play in resolution mode rather than my usual performance. I hear it looks beautiful :drool:

I basically got another tadpole forced in me and now every time I catch my character in a cutscene he looks like he’s gotten even more fecked up and veiny :lol:

On the way through the dark area now you need a torch for but biggest problem is really struggling for camp supplies now.

On the way through the dark area now you need a torch for but biggest problem is really struggling for camp supplies now.
Collect food! There's loads of food in the game, to the extent that after Act 1 I don't think I ever used supply packs, just food. Open every container, and if you see food, send it to camp immediately.

Collect food! There's loads of food in the game, to the extent that after Act 1 I don't think I ever used supply packs, just food. Open every container, and if you see food, send it to camp immediately.
I open everything - I must be a greedy bastard!

Still early doors for me. Pottering about the Blighted Village and opened a barn ("Shadowheart disapproves" She disapproves everything, miserable cow) to find an orc smashing it into an ogre 3 times his size. Actually felt bad for killing them since I interrupted their alone time.

Found the dog.

Also convinced the 3 ogres to fight for me. Now I have a horn/ogre atomic bomb to use when I'm desperate.

Did the Iron Throne last night. Took me three attempts but I managed to get every prisoner out. Had Karlach and Shart on the Duke, Shadow to heal/dimension door him and Karlach as a damage sponge. Used Wyll for the prisoners on the left side and sent my fecked up tadpole main character flying to get Umeluum or whatever his name is. Got him to teleport me back to the sub and then went back down to help out. As the last few were dashing for the ladder the amount of creatures building up was wild so I tried to shut the door. Then I realised the handle is on the inside, so I went in with them and shut it behind me.

Plan was to wait until the final moment with Um on the other side of the door and then open it and teleport. Only when it came to that, the door suddenly said it was jammed :lol: I tried lockpicking it but it required a 25 roll. Nothing seemed to work, looked at Gaseous Form, Misty Step, etc but nothing went through the door. Resigned myself to dying down there and took a potion of speed to gain an action. Randomly decided to try the door lever again and this time it opened! With basically the last action of the last turn Um teleported me back into the sub.

Was very fun to play, though I can see it being a frustrating part of the game too if it goes wrong.

Did the Iron Throne last night. Took me three attempts but I managed to get every prisoner out. Had Karlach and Shart on the Duke, Shadow to heal/dimension door him and Karlach as a damage sponge. Used Wyll for the prisoners on the left side and sent my fecked up tadpole main character flying to get Umeluum or whatever his name is. Got him to teleport me back to the sub and then went back down to help out. As the last few were dashing for the ladder the amount of creatures building up was wild so I tried to shut the door. Then I realised the handle is on the inside, so I went in with them and shut it behind me.

Plan was to wait until the final moment with Um on the other side of the door and then open it and teleport. Only when it came to that, the door suddenly said it was jammed :lol: I tried lockpicking it but it required a 25 roll. Nothing seemed to work, looked at Gaseus Form, Misty Step, etc but nothing went through the door. Resigned myself to dying down there and took a potion of speed to gain an action. Randomly decided to try the door lever again and this time it opened! With basically the last action of the last turn he teleported me back into the sub.

Was very fun to play, though I can see it being a frustrating part of the game too if it goes wrong.
The fecking half imp things just kept sabotaging themselves in mine. Dopes. Got all the major players out, though.

The fecking half imp things just kept sabotaging themselves in mine. Dopes. Got all the major players out, though.

I tried to give the enemy as much extra to aim at so they wouldn’t attack them. So I had a magic weapon taking hits, an elemental and also just aggroing them with my mains. There was a hairy part where one going up the ladder got hit by an arrow and was on 4 health but I had Karlach waiting up there and gave him a stoneskin potion.

Also not sure if this happens for everyone but because I got Wyll’s pact broken his father was doomed to death so Mizora popped up halfway through and tried to burn him. Managed to save him though obv but I feel like he might be destined to die still.

Also not sure if this happens for everyone but because I got Wyll’s pact broken his father was doomed to death so Mizora popped up halfway through and tried to burn him. Managed to save him though obv but I feel like he might be destined to die still.
Ha, I think Wyll kept his pact in mine so Mizora actually shows up to help get the Duke out. She's great, 100% best sex scene

Oh no. This is going to consume my life, isnt it. Im only 2-3hrs in and I havent felt like this about a videogame since TW3. But that was 8 and a half years ago. I'm 35 years old now.

Ah well sure look

Had a couple days off now, but usually somewhere in act 2 i start planning my next character.
Soon done with 3rd playthrough and have 4th and 5th all planned out.
Keep in mind, you don't have to finish the first week, you own the game for years ;)

Yeah there have been a lot of complaints about the ending. I think they’re working on expanding it a lot.

so weird that they mentioned a camp party and then nothing came of it. Surely that would’ve been the perfect place to tie everything up with everyone.

I agree that the ending might be a bit short, but they've said there's 17000 possible endings, so it's not done in a day to improve it.

What's the most entertaining class to use? Thinking for when I replay this at some point. I went very bog standard in my playthrough as a dread ranger.

My entire gameplan was so one dimensional throughout the entire game :lol: -- me as ranger with 3 bow attacks and then misty step somewhere out the way; Lae'zel giant jump to the strongest enemy and then 4-5 action surge strikes; Shadowheart healing in the back; and Gale fireballing or Otto dancing something

Seemed to work

What's the most entertaining class to use? Thinking for when I replay this at some point. I went very bog standard in my playthrough as a dread ranger.

My entire gameplan was so one dimensional throughout the entire game :lol: -- me as ranger with 3 bow attacks and then misty step somewhere out the way; Lae'zel giant jump to the strongest enemy and then 4-5 action surge strikes; Shadowheart healing in the back; and Gale fireballing or Otto dancing something

Seemed to work

I had a blast as a monk/thief/fighter multiclass. I think I laid out my build somewhere in this thread. Being able to bounce around the battlefield and clearing it out in the first round while my teammates kept at their drinking and card playing was a ton of fun.

Seemed to work

Who tf is that? :lol: I love how different everyone's experience is.

I plan to play as a bit of a mad sorcerer second time round I think. Though monk also looks quite different and could be fun.

I liked Monk. Bard was fun too but more for conversations than anything.

I had a blast as a monk/thief/fighter multiclass. I think I laid out my build somewhere in this thread. Being able to bounce around the battlefield and clearing it out in the first round while my teammates kept at their drinking and card playing was a ton of fun.
I never really dared multiclassing in any CRPG. I can't plan it on my own (part laziness, part stupidity) and following a guide feels boring.

I liked Monk. Bard was fun too but more for conversations than anything.
Yeah Bard is a great one for a first playthrough. Good mix of skills and spells as a party member and you can talk your way out of anything. Also some really funny dialogue like wandering into a murder scene and start telling ridiculous stories or singing :lol: I'll probably go Monk next time I play.

Thanks all. Monk / Bard it might have to be...
Who tf is that? :lol: I love how different everyone's experience is.

I plan to play as a bit of a mad sorcerer second time round I think. Though monk also looks quite different and could be fun.
Like @Siorac says -- it's a spell - think it's level 6(?) so you only really get it in the latter stages of Act 2/Act 3 depending on how highly leveled you are.

Basically it forces the target to dance :lol: which incapacitates them for 10 turns. Led to me cheesing some big bosses at time.

I never really dared multiclassing in any CRPG. I can't plan it on my own (part laziness, part stupidity) and following a guide feels boring.

I get it as I also try and avoid the guides as part of the fun is RP'ing your own guy. I don't have the discipline the rest of you nuts have and probably restarted the game a half dozen times before settling on my build. The benefit is that I got to see the strengths of most of the classes (at least levels 1-5). So, for me, it was a no brainer to grab action surge from fighter and an extra bonus action from thief to supercharge my monk in Act 3. The monk dialogue options are pretty good too. Basically, a stoic asshole.

Had a couple days off now, but usually somewhere in act 2 i start planning my next character.
Soon done with 3rd playthrough and have 4th and 5th all planned out.
Keep in mind, you don't have to finish the first week, you own the game for years ;)

Well Ive already decided Im restarting my character when I have time. Not happy having found out I missed some side quests and characters.

Now do i stick with druid or go for the monk .... @Kaos

Any other squad members carry the talk to animals spell?

Ohhh god now I have anxiety about which class to pick!!!

Ah well i'll probably play through a few times.

Loads of planned games going on the back burner for a few months whilst I suck Baldurs Gate 3 dry of all content (if even possible)

I have a question about act 2 and shart I was about to start the trial of Shar and it gave me a warning about the choices I make changing the region. I have not been to moon rise yet. I went to the inn and then came here and fully explored it.is this a last thing to do in the whole area type event?

I have a question about act 2 and shart I was about to start the trial of Shar and it gave me a warning about the choices I make changing the region. I have not been to moon rise yet. I went to the inn and then came here and fully explored it.is this a last thing to do in the whole area type event?
Yes go to Moonrise first and explore it.

That should be the last thing you do in act 2 as it kicks off the end of the act.

Thanks both.

Went and murdered that Balthazar as he seemed a cnut and am now off to explore a suspicious crevice. Will get to moonveil one day

Every time I tell myself I’ll go to bed in a second I trigger a fight that lasts about an hour and a half.