Gaming Baldur's Gate III by Larian Studios (PS5, PC, Mac, Xbox Series X|S)

I played like 8 hours on PS5 and didn't know about RT doing anything, didn't know anything about short and long rests.

Never played a game like this before but really enjoying it, even if it is pretty challenging.

Just me that was too tight to buy the digital deluxe edition then, half downloaded ready for release.

Just me that was too tight to buy the digital deluxe edition then, half downloaded ready for release.

I wouldn't usually for games but Larian have always delivered and I've followed this since early access and the PC release. I feel like they deserve it and from what I've played so far I'm very happy with my decision.

I wasn't paying that either. Is this a day one Weds download then or should I wait for a couple of patches?

I wasn't paying that either. Is this a day one Weds download then or should I wait for a couple of patches?

They seem on it with patches, I think unless you plan to blitz it then its a Day 1 for me, this sort of game will take me months to complete.

I still need to finish Dysmantle of course......bloody last horde.

Not just you. I always go for the standard editions - not paying for digital extras

This game is fecking massive, took me almost 40 hours to get through Act 1...

Not a complaint, mind you. There's just so much to do, so much to see, so many people to talk to. So far the writing is much better than in D:OS2, and I think they more or less nailed the combat balancing this time.

They seem on it with patches, I think unless you plan to blitz it then its a Day 1 for me, this sort of game will take me months to complete.

I still need to finish Dysmantle of course......bloody last horde.

Finished that the other week. Was a fun game but I couldn't be arsed getting every collectible.

This game is fecking massive, took me almost 40 hours to get through Act 1...

Not a complaint, mind you. There's just so much to do, so much to see, so many people to talk to. So far the writing is much better than in D:OS2, and I think they more or less nailed the combat balancing this time.
I enjoyed the combat more in DOS2 to be honest, I know it had its flaws but it was still more challenging and the randomness of the dice roll stuff can be annoying. That said overall I do think this is just a better game, as it should be.

I enjoyed the combat more in DOS2 to be honest, I know it had its flaws but it was still more challenging and the randomness of the dice roll stuff can be annoying. That said overall I do think this is just a better game, as it should be.
I generally prefer action points/cooldowns to D&D's rest system but other than that I think combat is much more enjoyable in this one. No split armour nonsense, not every battlefield is covered in blood, fire, and steam all the time, and not every single fight requires perfect teamwork from a minmaxed party.

I love how neatly this game tackles the usual problem of massive RPGs with urgent main quests - you know, the whole "the world is in grave danger but I'll play a couple of card games first" thing. In this game, a healthy majority of the sidequests are thoroughly intertwined with the main quest and offer some sort of information about the whole tadpole situation so it rarely feels like we're wasting our time on pointless excursions while we're on the brink of disaster. It's mostly quite deftly done.

I love how neatly this game tackles the usual problem of massive RPGs with urgent main quests - you know, the whole "the world is in grave danger but I'll play a couple of card games first" thing. In this game, a healthy majority of the sidequests are thoroughly intertwined with the main quest and offer some sort of information about the whole tadpole situation so it rarely feels like we're wasting our time on pointless excursions while we're on the brink of disaster. It's mostly quite deftly done.
As a lover of the Witcher 3 I feel like you just personally insulted me. :lol:

Let’s leave Gwent out of this ok?

As a lover of the Witcher 3 I feel like you just personally insulted me. :lol:
Let’s leave Gwent out of this ok?
:lol: hey I collected every single Gwent card, too! And won horse races and brawled with strange shirtless men.

And if that means the Wild Hunt catches Ciri and turns our world into a living nightmare, well, I, for one, welcome our edgy Elven cosplayer overlords.

I read a little that there may be some timed quests? Is it glaringly obvious that they are or not? I don't want to rush through the game and I have a tendency to pause and do other things while I game.

I read a little that there may be some timed quests? Is it glaringly obvious that they are or not? I don't want to rush through the game and I have a tendency to pause and do other things while I game.
There are a couple but they aren't timed in real time (and even then pausing would solve that), it's tied to rests. Basically a couple of quests will resolve one way or another on their own if you take too many rests after picking them up.

A simple non-spoiler example would be a burning inn: you might not want to put off rescuing the people trapped inside for the sake of a good night's sleep first.

Just got this, I chose to go via the GOG route as on the one hand the devs get more money, but on the other hand it takes forever to download, I suppose they don't have the resources steam has to ensure quick DL times. Took a few hours.

Looking forward to getting stuck in, I loved Original Sin 2 but didn't finish it as I went off it a bit
After you start speaking to those tree god things, the story started getting a bit too whimsical and I couldn't be arsed with it

I read that this has some similarities but is obviously based on DND, is it going to be easy to get to grips with?

There were two timed quests I came across and failed both because I didn't realised. Not sure what the indicators are, but I think if any dialog hints at a sense of urgency, you should probably deal with it same day.

Usually you get a hint when trying to get to rest — a short cut scene that tells you that you’d better not.

There’s one in the under dark where you get on a boat and go to a forge. That’s all I’ll say. I didn’t realise it was timed, it’s not that obvious, and ended up missing the whole thing when I went back

There’s one in the under dark where you get on a boat and go to a forge. That’s all I’ll say. I didn’t realise it was timed, it’s not that obvious, and ended up missing the whole thing when I went back
Yeah @SilentWitness don't get on the boat in the Underdark unless you are fully rested with all spells and such available.

Is the digital deluxe edition the only option to download?

Edit: never mind I found the base game. They hid that well! Cheeky cnuts.

Act 3 is great so far. Not getting the complaints about it feeling unfinished compared to the first 2 acts. That said I’m still only a few hours in.
Is the digital deluxe edition the only option to download?

Edit: never mind I found the base game. They hid that well! Cheeky cnuts.
Ahhh the addict has entered the arena. Looking forward to your updates over the next week :lol:

Act 3 is great so far. Not getting the complaints about it feeling unfinished compared to the first 2 acts. That said I’m still only a few hours in.

Ahhh the addict has entered the arena. Looking forward to your updates over the next week :lol:

:lol: what kind of addict am I seen as? Gaming?

I dunno, I just feel like when you play a game you really go for it non stop :lol: thinking on the likes of Elden Ring and Zelda.

This is basically correct :D it’s timed quite nicely because after Zelda I had like a solid month and a half of work and social stuff but it’s all calmed down recently. My eyes are ready to bleed.

This is basically correct :D it’s timed quite nicely because after Zelda I had like a solid month and a half of work and social stuff but it’s all calmed down recently. My eyes are ready to bleed.
It’s awesome. Enjoy it. It can be pretty overwhelming at the start as it doesn’t hold your hand or give particularly great tutorials so don’t be afraid to look up guides, especially if you haven’t played a Larian game before.

It’s awesome. Enjoy it. It can be pretty overwhelming at the start as it doesn’t hold your hand or give particularly great tutorials so don’t be afraid to look up guides, especially if you haven’t played a Larian game before.

Yeah I fully expect to be a bit confused. I’m familiar with the D&D concept though so hopefully that helps.

Paralysed by character choice.

I’ve currently got a Tiefling Rogue selected but not sure if those two contradict since it seems Tieflings are noticed a lot.

A few hours into my hafling bard playthrough. I've got to a goblin camp and the sheer possibilities with your approach to this game is insane.

I’ve currently got a Tiefling Rogue selected but not sure if those two contradict since it seems Tieflings are noticed a lot.
It doesn't really matter from a gameplay perspective, this isn't like the old school D&D games where racial bonuses were very powerful. It mostly grants some additional content, background story, flavour text, that sort of thing.
A few hours into my hafling bard playthrough. I've got to a goblin camp and the sheer possibilities with your approach to this game is insane.
And of course in true psychopath RPG player fashion, I did a diplomatic approach first and then murdered everyone anyway for loot and XP.

Some questions:

- Is it going to tell me about all these actions I have or am I supposed to just figure them out? There's like 3 wheels of stuff (looks like on PC it's just a bar at the bottom). I've so far mainly used Rush to move closer and tried to utilise the orange bonus actions in fights.
- Should I have it as turn based out of combat? All the guides I've seen are played like that but that seems slow af.
- I rolled terribly for the guy's hand coming out of the portal and he fell back in, is that bad?
- I got that white haired elf guy to shoot the rope and it smashed a hole in the floor. Jumped down it and had to battle a load of people down there. They seemed to be a lot stronger but I managed to kill them all. Assuming this was fine? I wasn't sure if you were meant to talk to them or something.

I'm getting the impression that the answer to most is whatever I do is fine.

Some questions:

- Is it going to tell me about all these actions I have or am I supposed to just figure them out? There's like 3 wheels of stuff (looks like on PC it's just a bar at the bottom). I've so far mainly used Rush to move closer and tried to utilise the orange bonus actions in fights.
- Should I have it as turn based out of combat? All the guides I've seen are played like that but that seems slow af.
- I rolled terribly for the guy's hand coming out of the portal and he fell back in, is that bad?
- I got that white haired elf guy to shoot the rope and it smashed a hole in the floor. Jumped down it and had to battle a load of people down there. They seemed to be a lot stronger but I managed to kill them all. Assuming this was fine? I wasn't sure if you were meant to talk to them or something.

I love that we are at the exact same point with the exact same questions.

Mostly the combat for me, I know it doesn't hold your hand much but I am cluelessly battling away so far.

Just a reminder that you can change class at any time (well after a very early certain point in the game), so don't fret class choice too much.

Some questions:

It is a type of game that's not meant to be played just once but multiple times because there are so many choices and ways you can go with it so in terms of rolls you can always reload if you want to but I think it's best to just let it play out how it is and then doing another run in a different way etc.

Yeah PS5 is limited by the controller quite a bit in terms of action buttons but you can find spoiler free tutorial stuff online regarding action buttons.

Some questions:

After playing the first 3 hours yesterday i totally feel this post haha.

Is the portal now closed? Can you not interact with it anymore? In that case I would say that your role was indeed pretty bad.

To add more questions:
- Is it normal that I needed a long rest before AND after the fight against those 5 or 6 bandits down there or do i suck at fighting?
- Do you use speels that need one "spell slot" (I don't know if this is the correct translation, I'm playing on german but i think you know what i mean) with your sorcerers almost every turn or are you saving them?

Some questions:

- You have actions, bonus actions and movement. If you look at an ability or spell, it will tell you if it requires an action or a bonus action. By default you have one action and one bonus action each turn; it's up to you to figure out how to utilise them best. Your best abilities usually require an action though so keep that in mind.

- Play real time out of combat otherwise the game would take fecking forever. In some situations it's worth switching to turn-based if you need precise control of the characters. For example, in a trap-filled room or if you are trying to sneak.

- You missed out on a companion. It's not fatal or anything but he's a pretty good spellcaster.

- The ruins early on? It's fine to kill them.

After playing the first 3 hours yesterday i totally feel this post haha.

Is the portal now closed? Can you not interact with it anymore? In that case I would say that your role was indeed pretty bad.

To add more questions:
- Is it normal that I needed a long rest before AND after the fight against those 5 or 6 bandits down there or do i suck at fighting?
- Do you use speels that need one "spell slot" (I don't know if this is the correct translation, I'm playing on german but i think you know what i mean) with your sorcerers almost every turn or are you saving them?

Nah it looked like i could use it to fast travel but the guy fell back in saying he'd die in there.

I haven't even looked at camping yet. I did short rest twice but I'm assuming I need to long rest to restore short rests?