Arsenal - 2024/25

People who think we 'wont perform' to the levels of last season need to realise our football is not random. Our defence went up a level in the second half of last season, we conceded 8 goals in the last 19 matches and were going entire games where we didn't allow the opposition a shot on goal. That form will carry into this season and Calafiori and Timber will be added to the mix.

Our positional play is high quality and Arteta has recruited players particular for their duel winning ability - players who can win the tackle, header ect. Were finishing 2nd minimum, and have a good chance at the title.

Fans who say we 'wont be as good' this year, are fans of clubs who have no faith in their own team/manager to improve, but desperately want to compete with Arsenal, and therefore pray Arsenal will come down to their level, all because they know they cant rise up more than a little bit.
Ah, Arsenal fans, some good comedy ahead.

The issue with Arsenal is they still have the same problems they had when throwing away the 22-23 title, nevermind last year. The quality throughout the squad should ensure a high finish again but I'd be wanting to see more ambition to go to the next level if I was an Arsenal fan.

United last three seasons for goals scored in the league is 57, 58,57. Scoring less than 60 goals is a horror showing for a team wanting to be at he top end of the table, to do it three seasons in a row is indicative of some seriously underlying issues. And Ive felt Bruno is guilty for Man United's poor chance creation. Yes, Bruno's individual stats are high, however that's because he attempts so many low percentage efforts and is guilty of losing possession. He cant run a midfield, he cant cycle possession.

Man United will not develop the patterns of play needed to create enough chances to score closer to 90 league goals, largely in part because of Bruno. He is a net negative, and I cannot believe he was given a new contract.

Bruno being a creative midfielder is a fallacy and red herring. Creating 5 chances in a match isnt a good thing if they are the only 5 chances created because you are assuming total ownership of creating chances by making low percentage passes that often give the ball away.

For Norway, since the age of 21, Ødegaard in 42,5 90's have a total of 3G & 9A, keep in mind that Haaland is scoring goals like we have never seen for the national team in that same period.
Bruno for Portugal have 53,7 90's with a total of 23G & 19A.

Sure, Norway is at a lower level than Portugal, but it might point out that in a struggling team Ødegaard won't create, whereas Bruno show up no matter the surroundings.

Our output the last three seasons have been horrendous, but to chalk that off as a result of Bruno assuming total ownership of creating chances is lazy, and for possession lost Bruno is quite high but still lower than KdB.

The issue with Arsenal is they still have the same problems they had when throwing away the 22-23 title, nevermind last year. The quality throughout the squad should ensure a high finish again but I'd be wanting to see more ambition to go to the next level if I was an Arsenal fan.
I think it's difficult to do too much more in the transfer market. Some teams are limited by FFP, but apparently the team we are chasing is not. I think there is the ambition there.

One possible knock on Edu is more the ability to offload players. We seem to be pushing dor higher prices and being a little more aggressive recently but also in this window so far, it's been a bit of a struggle.

Last edited:
I think it's more that it would require you to go for a third season in a row at an incredibly intense and high level when only one team has managed to do that in this modern era. I think you probably can do it but understand reservations from others.

Indeed. And his last sentence is somewhat ironic considering that's what I had just suggested that we hoped City would do.

For Norway, since the age of 21, Ødegaard in 42,5 90's have a total of 3G & 9A, keep in mind that Haaland is scoring goals like we have never seen for the national team in that same period.
Bruno for Portugal have 53,7 90's with a total of 23G & 19A.

Sure, Norway is at a lower level than Portugal, but it might point out that in a struggling team Ødegaard won't create, whereas Bruno show up no matter the surroundings.

Our output the last three seasons have been horrendous, but to chalk that off as a result of Bruno assuming total ownership of creating chances is lazy, and for possession lost Bruno is quite high but still lower than KdB.
Arteta needs more from Odegaard than only create. It's the work he does without the ball that's equally important and this is where in my opinion where he also shines. They both have still different roles and expectations.

I would have thought a quality forward would be a priority for them, but maybe the market isn't willing, or funds are tight?

Anyway, I share the sentiment of others in this thread. I don't think they can keep this up, especially with the Champions League in the mix. 89 points last season, and I don't think they are reaching that this season, although they will still finish second, since the rest of the table is weak comparatively. Only hope for the title is City getting deducted points.

I would have thought a quality forward would be a priority for them, but maybe the market isn't willing, or funds are tight?

Anyway, I share the sentiment of others in this thread. I don't think they can keep this up, especially with the Champions League in the mix. 89 points last season, and I don't think they are reaching that this season, although they will still finish second, since the rest of the table is weak comparatively. Only hope for the title is City getting deducted points.
It's difficult to finish 89 pts+ two years in a row I agree. Probably a good bet we wont get there, but that City will. We need also the rest of the league to play City a little harder, not accept that this is a loss before the game is played which I feel is happening. This is how they seemingly are able to go on crazy end of season runs in the last third of the season. Yes, they kick it up a gear, but it definitely feels to me a lot of teams pencil that loss in with the next game in mind.

I think it's difficult to do too much more in the transfer market. Some teams are limited by FFP, but apparently the team we are chasing is not. I think there is the ambition there.

One possible knock on Edu is more the ability to offload players. We seem to be pushing dor higher prices and being a little more aggressive recently but also in this window so far, it's been a bit of a struggle.
Right, the ambition might be there but it's still not happening. Same issues as 15 months ago.

Yeah. Selling players has been an issue. But it's been an issue for a long time into the Wenger era imo. I don't know that's just coincidence, an ownership thing, or some type of lingering club philosophy, but it's definitely something.

As I type this it looks like the club has botched the Nketiah sale. Botched it Marseille and now with Bournemouth. I know you can't manufacture player sales, but I feel like they could be working a lot harder to offload ramsdale too. There were assets on this squad that could be used to generate transfer income but they can't seem to move them. What happened to selling Kiwior or zinchenko too? idk.

Yeah. Selling players has been an issue. But it's been an issue for a long time into the Wenger era imo. I don't know that's just coincidence, an ownership thing, or some type of lingering club philosophy, but it's definitely something.

As I type this it looks like the club has botched the Nketiah sale. Botched it Marseille and now with Bournemouth.
Yes, it was also a problem in the Wenger era as well. I think we might have overplayed our hand. There is a lack of quality striker options out there but there are quite a few at Eddie's level. We got a bit lucky last year with Balogun, but there was more potential there. It is limiting our ability to being in more quality though, don't know where the problem lies.

Arsenal might not necessarily win the league but they'll be competing without any considerable doubt. They have successfully bridged the gap from being top four contenders and it's something not easily accomplished with United having failed to adequately do so within the last decade.

I predict second but I can see an event of them winning the league if City don't get their momentum going quickly. I also think provisionally on paper City's team isn't the strongest, I feel it's the brilliance of Pep that's getting them over hurdles.

Just assessing their spend the last two windows the likes of Nunes, Gvardiol, Kovacic and co haven't really moved the needle for them. Could be PSR hampering their eligibility to skirt around the rules who knows, the only reason I would pick City over Arsenal this season is the pedigree of Pep but as I've stated on numerous occasions I think Arteta is easily one of the best coaches in Europe.

Arteta needs more from Odegaard than only create. It's the work he does without the ball that's equally important and this is where in my opinion where he also shines. They both have still different roles and expectations.
Bruno covers the most distance for United, and beats Ødegaard comfortably on most defensive stats, he too is expected to do more than just create.

I'm not saying that Bruno is the superior player, but the arguments that are being used to put Ødegaard above him is just not it.

I'd have us as third. I don't think we'll score as many goals on set-pieces and have such few injuries 2 years in a row.
The squad is pretty much the same even if we add Calafiori and Merino. More CL games will also stretch us harder than City.
So in conclusion, Odegaard is better than Bruno.
Who are you expecting to finish above Arsenal other than City?

People who think we 'wont perform' to the levels of last season need to realise our football is not random. Our defence went up a level in the second half of last season, we conceded 8 goals in the last 19 matches and were going entire games where we didn't allow the opposition a shot on goal. That form will carry into this season and Calafiori and Timber will be added to the mix.

Our positional play is high quality and Arteta has recruited players particular for their duel winning ability - players who can win the tackle, header ect. Were finishing 2nd minimum, and have a good chance at the title.

Fans who say we 'wont be as good' this year, are fans of clubs who have no faith in their own team/manager to improve, but desperately want to compete with Arsenal, and therefore pray Arsenal will come down to their level, all because they know they cant rise up more than a little bit.
I think you’ll be the similar to last season — comprehensively winning games you should be winning; seeing out results with your strong defence, and using your physical dominance to bully teams in set pieces etc.

Issue is going to come in the bigger and must win games where the margins are finer. All it takes is Saka falling out of form and supersubs like Trossard to not score half as many goals.

What about Liverpool makes you think that?
It's more about not trusting anyone else to do it. They were there or about last year.
Allisson VVD Trent Salah Diaz Jota is still a pretty good nucleus of a team and the likes of Gakpo, Jones, Elliott are good youngsters. McAllister/Szoboslai/Endo did okay and can score a few goals. Something has to happen before the windows shuts, they will add at least one midfielder.

It's more about not trusting anyone else to do it. They were there or about last year.
Allisson VVD Trent Salah Diaz Jota is still a pretty good nucleus of a team and the likes of Gakpo, Jones, Elliott are good youngsters. McAllister/Szoboslai/Endo did okay and can score a few goals. Something has to happen before the windows shuts, they will add at least one midfielder.
One key difference I feel is that most of Arsenal’s best players are on the up, whereas the opposite can be said for Liverpool’s. They have some good youngsters, but their very best players are all on the older side.

One key difference I feel is that most of Arsenal’s best players are on the up, whereas the opposite can be said for Liverpool’s. They have some good youngsters, but their very best players are all on the older side.
That's true but i would still go with them rather than whatever is going on at Blueco FC, Spurs or United. Solanke is a nice upgrade on Richarlison but not enough for top 3.

That's true but i would still go with them rather than whatever is going on at Blueco FC, Spurs or United. Solanke is a nice upgrade on Richarlison but not enough for top 3.
I’m blindly optimistic that United will finish above them this season. I’m sure that optimism won’t last long.

I think a quality forward was a big priority this window. But the pickings are very very slim this window if you're looking for top quality players. We wanted Isak but he decided not to go on the market, then we tried for Sesko and Nico Williams and after those moves failed the rumors have really dried up. I think at this point we're probably just waiting to see if dominos fall in the right way and somebody (Raphinha, Rodrygo, Sane, etc) comes unexpectedly available in the last two weeks. But none of those seem all that likely for various reasons. IMO, one other situation to watch is Brighton. They have bought so many forwards this window that they are 100% sure to be selling at least one and maybe two. Whether that's a player that fits Arsenal's plans and whether other clubs might be interested are another matter. But I could see at least one of Mitoma, Joao Pedro, or Ferguson moving and maybe two of them.

I'd have us as third. I don't think we'll score as many goals on set-pieces and have such few injuries 2 years in a row.
The squad is pretty much the same even if we add Calafiori and Merino. More CL games will also stretch us harder than City.
So in conclusion, Odegaard is better than Bruno.

I watched you vs Lyon, and you could have scored at 5 goals off set pieces. You look as dominant as ever on that front.

I watched you vs Lyon, and you could have scored at 5 goals off set pieces. You look as dominant as ever on that front.

Think Calafiori and Merino will only add to that, although I see there's articles came out today saying refs are going to clamp down on the 'blocking’ tactics that teams like Arsenal employ.

We are one if the biggest teams in pure size and bully teams at the set piece.

Arsenal being 'soft' is on old cliche that goes back to when Wenger recruited heavily small nimble tricky players.

However this team is stacked with big players and hard tacklers. The press form the front is strong and no player would dare not track back or put in a shift off the ball. If you think Arteta is soft you are in arrears. Arteta would not allow sfor such lack of effort. Rashfrod for example, wouldn't survive Arsenal under Arteta. What that guy gets away with at Man United, wouldn't be tolerated at Arsenal

I see that VAR will provide added focus on set plays and particularly the blocking of the keeper.The suggestion is that White in particular will be under scrutiny.

Predicting what will happen as a new season dawns is complex and whilst you can gain a hint from last season if it were that easy the bookies would all be broke.

Personally I think that if Arsenal were to suffer anywhere close to the level of other clubs injuries then I see a struggle yes I know Timbers injury was a major one but there is absolutely no guarantee that he will be close to the player pre the ACL and as is common it’s highly likely that he will suffer another injury once the real pressure is put on to his lower body.

Irrespective it’s not so much about expecting Arsenal to drop it’s more about other clubs raising their quality

Think Calafiori and Merino will only add to that, although I see there's articles came out today saying refs are going to clamp down on the 'blocking’ tactics that teams like Arsenal employ.
You mean we might not see Benny at his trolling best? I am not sure to be honest half the stuff he does should be legal.

Personally I think that if Arsenal were to suffer anywhere close to the level of other clubs injuries then I see a struggle yes I know Timbers injury was a major one but there is absolutely no guarantee that he will be close to the player pre the ACL and as is common it’s highly likely that he will suffer another injury once the real pressure is put on to his lower body.

Irrespective it’s not so much about expecting Arsenal to drop it’s more about other clubs raising their quality

I don't think any club could suffer the level of injuries of Chelsea, Newcastle, or United last year and compete for the title.

If that happens, Arsenal won't be in the mix. But the same is true for City, who actually had the fewest games lost to injury among the top eight sides last year and the year beforehand.

They may have just cracked the code for keeping players healthy but their injury record is really the most aberrational of all the top sides.

They also have (I think like us) players that are less susceptible to injuries. That helps a lot. If your starting 11 is full of crocks, after a while you are running into a wall that was visible before the season started.

Not a bad first game from them. I wonder if they can hit the ground running this season. They’re probably going to need a decent chunk points gap to have a serious chance of holding City off.

All the usual suspects had good games.

Good win.

Raya, Saka, and Havertz were great even though Havertz muffed the 3rd best chance of the game for arsenal.

Lots of people on the arsenal sub reddit hating on martinelli the past two matches and I've thought he's been pretty good. Created some great chances and was very close to claiming a goal too.

Really want the Merino signing to get finished so we can phase Partey out to guy that comes on to close out games and so we can move Rice to the right side. Rice, Martinelli, and zinchenko don't have great chemistry imo.

Speaking of zinchenko, I think that was the last PL match that he starts unless there's another injury. Dude is great in possession. But when the other team gets control, he's an absolute chaotic liability. Timber should start. And I'm excited to see more of what he offers offensively.

Overall, good first match. Would love to get a win away from home before the spurs> city back to back features.

Not a bad first game from them. I wonder if they can hit the ground running this season. They’re probably going to need a decent chunk points gap to have a serious chance of holding City off.

We looked kinda sloppy. Partey was probably the worst, but Saliba's distribution was a bit shocking in this one. Zinny ineffective and Rice not really doing a whole lot. Got the three points is what matters. We have back a tough month of games to start this season and couldn't afford to drop points in this one.

Credit to Wolves, they gave it a go and were up for the 50-50s

The schedule is going to make that difficult. In the first 11 fixtures we have:

@Villa
@Spurs
@City
@Chelsea
@Newcastle
Liverpool

The bright side is that if we get through those first 11 in decent shape at or near the top of the table, the rest of the course will be much more manageable with so many of the toughest away fixtures banked. But I think it will be a tough year to build up a big lead on City.

Yeah we're not getting any kind of lead on City. Expect us to be in the mix for top 2-3, and Mikel's looking at prioritising the cups as well with our squad depth.

We looked kinda sloppy. Partey was probably the worst, but Saliba's distribution was a bit shocking in this one. Zinny ineffective and Rice not really doing a whole lot. Got the three points is what matters. We have back a tough month of games to start this season and couldn't afford to drop points in this one.

Credit to Wolves, they gave it a go and were up for the 50-50s
Worst I've seen Saliba play for us (which is still a 6/10 for any player). He set his standards though, can't afford to be so lax. Partey just needs to disappear.

The schedule is going to make that difficult. In the first 11 fixtures we have:

@Villa
@Spurs
@City
@Chelsea
@Newcastle
Liverpool

The bright side is that if we get through those first 11 in decent shape at or near the top of the table, the rest of the course will be much more manageable with so many of the toughest away fixtures banked. But I think it will be a tough year to build up a big lead on City.
Yeah but its good to get those tough away games early in the season.

I think this is pretty accurate in terms of Odegaard's creative output compared to those two but that your previous post was misreading him as a player if your conclusion is that he isn't one of the three most important in the team or that anybody is replacing him anytime soon. Odegaard is the side's tactical leader and essentially Arteta's brain on the pitch. He leads the press from the front and makes decisions about when to trigger. In possession he is the guy that drops deep and finds solutions for advancing the ball against a high press or that collects the ball and looks to activate moves against a midblock. He is more of an 8 than a 10. KDB used to be a bit like that but has become more of a pure 10 over time, whereas Bruno has always played that role.

There are lots of successful teams (indeed, most successful teams) that don't have a Bruno or KDB-level creator as part of the midfield so I don't think that is a huge problem. But we do need one more dynamic player in attack.

Honestly I am not sure if I would even take Bruno. Yes he is creative but he has glaring holes in his game. He cannot work in a possession based system.
And for all his creativity he is no Ozil. Although his goal scoring is great. He can work well as a CF or a winger for Arsenal but not as a midfielder. He would have been slaughtered by Arteta here.

And we have a similar player to Bruno (Viera). Although several levels below him. Arteta just doesn't seem to fancy him.

If we are saying top 3 players for arsenal. It would be Saka/Odegaard/Saliba. Rice while great is not close to what the above 3 provide (yet).

Honestly I am not sure if I would even take Bruno. Yes he is creative but he has glaring holes in his game. He cannot work in a possession based system.
And for all his creativity he is no Ozil. Although his goal scoring is great. He can work well as a CF or a winger for Arsenal but not as a midfielder. He would have been slaughtered by Arteta here.

And we have a similar player to Bruno (Viera). Although several levels below him. Arteta just doesn't seem to fancy him.

If we are saying top 3 players for arsenal. It would be Saka/Odegaard/Saliba. Rice while great is not close to what the above 3 provide (yet).
You're right about that. He's more creative than Ozil. https://fbref.com/en/stathead/playe..._lg=1&player_id1=16380240&player_id2=507c7bdf