Arsenal - 2024/25

You can hold both opinions - that City are cheats and Arsenal are the master of the dark arts/time wasting and general shithousery. It's not one or the other, and there's no need for you to go on this massive whataboutism rant.

Conceding an equaliser in time add-on kinda proves they are not masters of the dark arts.

They're dabbling in the dark arts but there is a long way to go before they're masters.

They are Draco Malfoy, not Voldemort.

Despite how disappointing 2018/19 and 21/22 were with missing out on the title on the last day, we still ended those seasons with something to show (CL in 2019 and a domestic cup double in 2022).

I think Arteta could do with winning something this season, even if it’s not the league. It might be. You’re the best placed to take it if City have a bad year. But ending with nothing for a third year in a row with a side as good as that is going to sting.
I'll be honest, if we lose another close title race but end up with an FA cup I'd be disappointed and consider this season another failure.

That was because we were successful though, not arseholes.

Arsenal have had no success, at all.
No, I'd say it was because you were arseholes. City are successful too and they have nowhere near the same hatred you guys had

I'll be honest, if we lose another close title race but end up with an FA cup I'd be disappointed and consider this season another failure.

No, I'd say it was because you were arseholes. City are successful too and they have nowhere near the same hatred you guys had
Yes it's because they're not arseholes. You've definitely thought this one through!

I suppose being a Toffee and seeing your club penalised for breaking the rules makes you more sympathetic to other delinquents?
You said it yourself. We were penalised. I hope City are too with the appropriate measures i.e expulsion from the league.

Doesn't move from the point that it's irrelevant.

No one cares about city winning trophies. They won a freaking treble and yet are not looked as a big club. They have been dominating football for a decade now and yet are not looked as a big club. I feel they will never get that respect.

United Liverpool and even Arsenal on the other hand will be hated but respected.

What is it United fans say? Hated, adored, never ignored?

I mean you guys were ignored for like 15 years. It’s only when you’re actually decent, like Liverpool, where your fans become insufferable.

I just checked their set-pieces stats and posted this in Gabriel thread, quite impressive numbers and they are incredibly consistent since bringing in Jover.

It could be a good thread, as they are indeed the best team in the league when it comes to scoring from set-pieces. They have improved significantly since the appointment of a set-piece coach Nicolas Jover in 2021, whom Arteta brought from Manchester City.

Since the start of last season, for the whole of 23/24 + the first games of 24/25, Arsenal scored 23 goals from set-pieces. United for reference scored 11 such goals - only teams worse in the league than us are Palace, BHA, Forest and Brentford.

Gabriel himself is on 16 league goals in 137 apps. His goals/90 is better than that of many quite goalscoring midfielders (McTom - 19 league goals in 178 apps, Rodri - 22 league goals in 174 apps).

No one cares about city winning trophies. They won a freaking treble and yet are not looked as a big club. They have been dominating football for a decade now and yet are not looked as a big club. I feel they will never get that respect.

United Liverpool and even Arsenal on the other hand will be hated but respected.
It'll come for them eventually. Chelsea are looked at as a big club now and part of the furniture at the top. If City can get away with a minor points deduction and no further punishment they'll end up being looked at the same way.

It'll come for them eventually. Chelsea are looked at as a big club now and part of the furniture at the top. If City can get away with a minor points deduction and no further punishment they'll end up being looked at the same way.
Chelsea even before the takeover were a decent club who were finishing in top 6 to 10 and won trophies as well. City on the other hand just before take over were a nothing club losing 8-1 to Boro and playing in lower league less than a decade back from the takeover. Maybe if they continue dominating for another 20 years then they become a big club but so far I don't see anything that screams a big club. Amazing side and a great manager but their wins feel nothing.

Hard to hate us when I'm our only fan.

How does no one care about City winning trophies? Most of you are obsessed with trophies including partially myself. You guys are deluding yourselves saying it. They are going to be recognized as the greatest PL team ever whether you decide to out an asterisk on them or not.

Unless they take away their trophies which I doubt

I heard this morning they're the team with the longest restart time from dead balls this season. It's clearly by design.

We are 5 games in when we've been down to x10 men for nearly 90mins of them.

It is by design defo when we go down to 10 men or at tough away grounds.

So who starts this league cup game. Nwaneri, MLS, Jesus, Sterling, Kiwior? Maybe Jorgingo?It would have been a game for Tomi and Zinny but they are continuous sick notes. I dont even consider Tierney anymore.

How does no one care about City winning trophies? Most of you are obsessed with trophies including partially myself. You guys are deluding yourselves saying it. They are going to be recognized as the greatest PL team ever whether you decide to out an asterisk on them or not.

When you actually win trophies you'll understand.

Team with no heritage or history won the lottery by being next door to united, spent billions to get to that level and cheated their way to the top. It's a hollow victory anytime they win something because they should be winning everything but don't really have any right to.

When you actually win trophies you'll understand.

Team with no heritage or history won the lottery by being next door to united, spent billions to get to that level and cheated their way to the top. It's a hollow victory anytime they win something because they should be winning everything but don't really have any right to.
So what...Manchester United outspent everyone during their reign...We won titles during that time as well. And then Chelsea bought some titles...are those being wiped out mentally? Of course not. It doesn't matter that it is shallow. In the end the record books will show that they won and in 10 years nobody will care how they won it, as the record will still stand. And the record already shows that Pep has won 6 PL titles in 8 years which outdoes Ferguson, who I do have respect for. Whatever math gymnastics you are using, that return is higher than his.

Last edited:

This has been proven false many times.
It is correct. You outspent everyone for most of those PL titles. Your rate of return I might say declined heavily when others started to join the spending fray. 7 of those titles were won before Abramoviich jumped onboard. Thats most of your titles won during the time you were spending the most. You are cherry picking data by including the last years which are grossly inflated numbers compared ro rhe previous years where we were your main rivals.

It is correct. You outspent everyone for most of those PL titles. Your rate of return I might say declined heavily when others started to join the spending fray. 7 of those titles were won before Abramoviich jumped onboard. Thats most of your titles won during the time you were spending the most. You are cherry picking data by including the last years which are grossly inflated numbers compared ro rhe previous years where we were your main rivals.
Between 1993-2000 United were either 3rd or 2nd for total transfer + wage spend (cumulative). Liverpool topped it for the majority.

We were then top Between 2001-2003 until Chelsea started blowing everyone out of the water.

We spent a lot, but we were never top spenders consistently - we did spend more than Arsenal though.

I will eat some humble pie here. I didnt realize Pool spent so much earlier on. And of course Chelsea overtakes everyone as soon as the crooked Russian comes in...but that part is slanting the data grossly. It is not like United is lagging spending though. They are firmly sexond overall during the whole period and are first for a significant portion of it. In the end...does this matter to anyone but you Manchest United fans who live at this time?

Double down on being wrong. And people wonder why Arsenal fans have a bad rap.

Between 1993-2000 United were either 3rd or 2nd for total transfer + wage spend (cumulative). Liverpool topped it for the majority.

We were then top Between 2001-2003 until Chelsea started blowing everyone out of the water.

We spent a lot, but we were never top spenders consistently - we did spend more than Arsenal though.

That's good data. I dont think the argument for me that Man Utd are a team that has done it on a budget works for me. Man Utd are routinely among the top spenders, in fact last year year it came out that you had the most expensive squad ever. So this isn't about money only. All the top teams are spending. Chelsea are on another planet.

So what...Manchester United outspent everyone during their reign...We won titles during that time as well. And then Chelsea bought some titles...are those being wiped out mentally? Of course not. It doesn't matter that it is shallow. In the end the record books will show that they won and in 10 years nobody will care how they won it, as the record will still stand. And the record already shows that Pep has won 6 PL titles in 8 years which outdoes Ferguson, who I do have respect for. Whatever math gymnastics you are using, that return is higher than his.
Stopped reading here, absolute nonsense! I suggest you educate yourself on the history of PL spending. I suppose it helps you oppo fans to cope better if you believe Utd only dominated because we “outspent” everyone.

Stopped reading here, absolute nonsense! I suggest you educate yourself on the history of PL spending. I suppose it helps you oppo fans to cope better if you believe Utd only dominated because we “outspent” everyone.
No, it doesn't mean everything. That's the point the Man Utd fans were making in dismissing Pep Nd Man City's achievements...oh it doesn't matter cause they outspent everyone...read the posts before that. You cannot argue one and not the other.

No, it doesn't mean everything. That's the point the Man Utd fans were making in dismissing Pep Nd Man City's achievements...oh it doesn't matter cause they outspent everyone...read the posts before that. You cannot argue one and not the other.

The reason no one gives a shit about City is because they’re cheating bastards, not because they’re outspending everyone.

The reason no one gives a shit about City is because they’re cheating bastards, not because they’re outspending everyone.
Yes, that should be the line of argument. All the top teams spend, and spending itself doesnt make the winner. We did quite well over the years going up against Fergie, while Pool apparently spent more and got nothing much. And we can see with Chelsea right now that it doesn't always mean everything either...it does definitely help though to spend. The idea that we are just going to "will" away all these City trophies here though is simply not reality.

I think the cheat label on City is going to wash away pretty fast.

That's good data. I dont think the argument for me that Man Utd are a team that has done it on a budget works for me. Man Utd are routinely among the top spenders, in fact last year year it came out that you had the most expensive squad ever. So this isn't about money only. All the top teams are spending. Chelsea are on another planet.

That’s good because literally nobody is trying to make that argument. You were trying to argue that United’s success was down to outspending all their rivals. Now you’re trying to move the goalposts.

That’s good because literally nobody is trying to make that argument. You were trying to argue that United’s success was down to outspending all their rivals. Now you’re trying to move the goalposts.
No, re-read again. One of your own was stating nobody cares because City spent billions...and cheated. Spent billions is not the argument and is still not because you have as well. The whole goalposts where moved in the first place, because the original argument is whether or not City's achievements mean anything or not. For a forum that spends most of its time talking about trophies, and keep reminding us Arsenal fans about it, and then suddenly dismissing the City ones as irrelevant is weird.

Most fans will not remember or care that City cheated in 10 years from now. In fact most PL dont even care about it now. It is only you and some from other top teams that harp about it...but mostly Man Utd fans because it threatens Ferguson's legacy. And it feels like delusional trying to say it doesnt matter.

Most of the supporters from the other clubs around the country think all the top teams spend an insane amount of money and do not see it as a relevant discussion vis a vis their team.

No, re-read again. One of your own was stating nobody cares because City spent billions...and cheated. Spent billions is not the argument and is still not because you have as well. The whole goalposts where moved in the first place, because the original argument is whether or not City's achievements mean anything or not. For a forum that spends most of its time talking about trophies, and keep reminding us Arsenal fans about it, and then suddenly dismissing the City ones as irrelevant is weird.

Most fans will not remember or care that City cheated in 10 years from now. In fact most PL dont even care about it now. It is only you and some from other top teams that harp about it...but mostly Man Utd fans because it threatens Ferguson's legacy. And it feels like delusional trying to say it doesnt matter.

Most of the supporters from the other clubs around the country think all the top teams spend an insane amount of money and do not see it as a relevant discussion vis a vis their team.

It is not just United supporters though, is it? How come Liverpool fans or even Arsenal fans digest City winning the league?

City are a brilliant team, mind you. Everyone agrees with it. But it's not a doubt in anyone's mind that they cheated to get there. The Der Spiegel investigation broke it open and since then, there's been no going back. You can compare it with Roman's Chelsea but they did not break any rules at the time. City clearly did and operated under different restrictions as anyone else. I believe regardless of the outcome of the investigation, no one will ever forget how they built their squad, and there will always be an asterisk to their title hall. Though I'm hopeful that they will be punished in the investigation which will just make it indelible from the record books.

It is not just United supporters though, is it? How come Liverpool fans or even Arsenal fans digest City winning the league?

City are a brilliant team, mind you. Everyone agrees with it. But it's not a doubt in anyone's mind that they cheated to get there. The Der Spiegel investigation broke it open and since then, there's been no going back. You can compare it with Roman's Chelsea but they did not break any rules at the time. City clearly did and operated under different restrictions as anyone else. I believe regardless of the outcome of the investigation, no one will ever forget how they built their squad, and there will always be an asterisk to their title hall. Though I'm hopeful that they will be punished in the investigation which will just make it indelible from the record books.
I dont digest it, I think most Arsenal fans are only interested about it in the last two years. I have never digested Chelsea or City, but I am not in the majority here. Liverpool probably cared before that but it has emerged more as a talking point in recent years...and Man Utd fans because well it takes some of the attention that City are now the greatest team. i am surprised by how many Man Utd fans are saying...it doesnt mean anything or matter. It feels like they are kidding themselves.

Definitely Arsenal > City

City’s success earlier did seem irrelevant but has gotten out of hand now with the 4 titles in a row and especially the treble. The frauds must go down - losing the league but more importantly having the book thrown at them for being a bunch of cheating cnuts. A brutal punishment with Pep leaving with his tail between his legs would he perfect.