Arsenal 2023/24 - Born to be runner up

How are they spending all this money when so many other clubs are seemingly constrained currently?

Re: List.

This is what GPT-4 says:

It's an interesting strategy to consider. By organizing the villagers into two groups that follow a certain protocol in the event they're both chosen as the Questioned, you could potentially reduce the number of double slaughters. The Al-Hadikhia might then be forced to choose players from different groups to increase the chance of a double slaughter, which might become predictable over time.

However, there are some considerations:

1. **Trust**: This strategy assumes all players will follow the agreed-upon protocol. This is risky as the Al-Hadikhia have a vested interest in sowing discord and causing double slaughters.

2. **Confirmation Bias**: If a double slaughter occurs, the villagers may jump to the conclusion that one or both of the victims were Al-Hadikhia, as it would be assumed that a villager would follow the agreed protocol.

3. **Player Removal**: Given the rules of the game, Al-Hadikhia could pick two villagers from the same group and ensure one death per round, as the bottom player on the list will always choose death. This could lead to a predictable and continuous thinning of the villagers' ranks.

Overall, while this strategy could help avoid double slaughters, it may also make the villagers more predictable to the Al-Hadikhia and put a lot of trust in everyone following the agreed-upon strategy. So, I would recommend discussing all these considerations with your fellow players before implementing this strategy.

The money spent doesn't matter it's the philosophy of the management that will give them a foundation at success. You can look at Arsenals signings and immediately it presents a narrative of what they are trying to do just through the demographics of the players alone.

Compare it to United and most are left guessing what the plan is over the next 5 years what is the direction with the team ? This is why the most important element of any ownership is the structure not the owners themselves. Arteta is working alongside Kronkes son and Edu and that cohesion is beginning to bear fruit.

Proves the most successful element of any business is never the business itself no matter how good the proposition, service or product it's always the people who define a successful business. United aside the manager is full of the wrong people all the way to the top.

Last edited:
But it's somehow true. Over £600m in transfers while never competed in champions league, with FA cup win in his first 6 month, average of 70 points in 4 years.
People are blinded by the 50 points Arsenal took in the first 19 games last season. Put the 50 point aside Arteta average is 30-34 points in 19 games in 3 years meaning 6 split half seasons.

The first half of last season success anomaly, can not be repeated again, because THEY WERE UNABLE to repeat it for 19 last games at the end of last season. Or rather, if they were unable to repeat the 1-19 game winning form, from game 20-38 what makes you think they will repeat it from game 1-38 of the upcoming season?

Even Ole was murdered for spending 300m while winning nothing. Ole was second also and third also.
Even if we gave Ole another 300m to max out to 600m he could not have toppled Pep grip on the league.

Just wondering what your expectations and demands will be on ETH this season? If he gets a striker, he'll have spent £350m+ in the space of 2 summers.

He's obviously a very good manager and done a very good job with them. They were Europa League level for years, and he's transformed them into a genuinely top team who play excellent football. That's not easy.
I mean of course the job he has done to transform them is pretty good but he's spent huge amounts for them to have one good season. The PR surrounding him makes it look like the man is winning a Treble every year.

If Lego doesn’t win the league now… he will be considered a plastic interlocking bricked fraud.

Absolutely no excuses. Their squad is looking robust.

Much are they paying £105m Rice?

Edit: £250k per week for Rice.

Cheap compared to Havertz.

Last edited:
But it's somehow true. Over £600m in transfers while never competed in champions league, with FA cup win in his first 6 month, average of 70 points in 4 years.
People are blinded by the 50 points Arsenal took in the first 19 games last season. Put the 50 point aside Arteta average is 30-34 points in 19 games in 3 years meaning 6 split half seasons.

The first half of last season success anomaly, can not be repeated again, because THEY WERE UNABLE to repeat it for 19 last games at the end of last season. Or rather, if they were unable to repeat the 1-19 game winning form, from game 20-38 what makes you think they will repeat it from game 1-38 of the upcoming season?

Even Ole was murdered for spending 300m while winning nothing. Ole was second also and third also.
Even if we gave Ole another 300m to max out to 600m he could not have toppled Pep grip on the league.

unable to repeat due to our strength in depth lacking which is well noted.
Hopefully we address that issue somewhat this coming season.

:lol:

How can anyone believe Arsenal pays just 85 million wages, just check your annual financial report and you will see you are spending at least 2.5x more than that.
Admittedly the numbers differ from article to article, but I checked a few and we seem to have a wage bill about £100mil less than the biggest spenders (United, Chelsea, City). Getting our wages under control was the first step in rebuilding our squad. That's why Arteta got rid of Ozil, Auba, Laca etc who were on high wages but past their prime.

I don't think Arse will win the league but the spend has become necessary to stay in the top 4. Last season 3 teams who would normally compete for top 4 had bad seasons: Spurs, Chelsea and Liverpool.

I think Liverpool and Chelsea will be stronger and United and Newcastle will be there again too.

For the top 4 we have:

City
Arse
United
Newcastle
Liverpool
Chelsea
Spurs

And maybe a few dark horses

That's 7 teams for four spots, it's quite easy to be one of the 3 who doesn't make it.

Surely will be the last summer though? Unless you win the league/UCL surely you can't sustain this spending with the likes of Party and Rice on 200k+ wages and Havertz on £300k+. Imagine Saka is closer to the latter and all renewals will be demanding similar ballpark figures.
Yes, now that we're back in CL our wages will creep up again. It comes with the territory. But hopefully we won't go years out of CL again.

Admittedly the numbers differ from article to article, but I checked a few and we seem to have a wage bill about £100mil less than the biggest spenders (United, Chelsea, City). Getting our wages under control was the first step in rebuilding our squad. That's why Arteta got rid of Ozil, Auba, Laca etc who were on high wages but past their prime.

Yes, Arsenal had less wages than ManUtd, not surprising considering Arsenal didn't qualify for CL for many years and also had a squad who are yet to prove themselves with great season.

I wish people stop being so lazy with wages by posting crap sites and do a couple of mins Google search to check in financial reports or Swiss ramble who reports from financial reports

Now that they have, wage budget is already growing with Saka getting 290k, Rice around 250-300, Havertz 300k+, Martinelli around 180k.

Yes, Arsenal had less wages than ManUtd, not surprising considering Arsenal didn't qualify for CL for many years and also had a squad who are yet to prove themselves with great season.

I wish people stop being so lazy with wages by posting crap sites and do a couple of mins Google search to check in financial reports or Swiss ramble who reports from financial reports

Now that they have, wage budget is already growing with Saka getting 290k, Rice around 250-300, Havertz 300k+, Martinelli around 180k.
The initial question was how Arsenal can afford to spend like this and the answer is largely due to our much lower wage bill since Arteta's arrival. As you say, we were out of CL for 7-8 years but were paying CL wages to our top players. Arteta got that under control, and we have seen the benefits of that in recent years with Arsenal being a stronger force in the transfer market.

Yes, our wage bill is undoubtedly rising now, which is inevitable. But we're now in CL paying our players CL-level wages.

Just wondering what your expectations and demands will be on ETH this season? If he gets a striker, he'll have spent £350m+ in the space of 2 summers.
As always he has to win.. They is no shortcut. People will try to sugar coat but I usually say it here, if after 3 years and spending 500m we haven't won the league or CL then change is needed. It's just a metric for anyone who manages a big club and spends big money and should be known before hand.
Pep usually says it often 'I'm in City this long because we win games then win titles' but alot of people may not picked it.

You see, someone like Klopp his PL and CL is like a life savings on the bank, Liverpool will absolutely survive on it for sometime. Add the 90+ season albeit without any title, Klopp has enough on his current account. Thus the club will support him in the foreseeable future.

But for ETH and Arteta they need something tangible in the bank for them. Albeit for ETH he has time to build up his reserves but the pressure is the same.

Our wage bill is going to go up pretty drastically this coming season. A bunch of our young players got new contracts and we are adding some more high earners. It is not just the low wages that has allowed this spending, it is also the Kroenkes investing directly. They are now showing real commitment to developing this team.

Some more pressure on Arteta now....

Our wage bill is going to go up pretty drastically this coming season. A bunch of our young players got new contracts and we are adding some more high earners. It is not just the low wages that has allowed this spending, it is also the Kroenkes investing directly. They are now showing real commitment to developing this team.

Some more pressure on Arteta now....

The Kroenkes always highlighted they were previously paying Champions League wages for non-CL iterations of Arsenal. It does look like Arsenal will have soon removed the high wage low performing players and now the performing players (Saka, Saliba, Odegaard) are being duly rewarded, along with inflation in wages at top clubs. For financial stability, it will be key to qualify for CL regularly again. In order to keep players from forcing departures to Real Madrid and other CL winners, it will be vital to continue to be in the mix for the league and to win trophies. It is a stretch to think we can win the CL right away, but I agree with posters that say Arteta needs to win at least one trophy.

Why would you put the 50 point in 19 games aside. We're talking about half a season of PL football, there aren't many teams who have been capable of a good run like that, regardless of the collapse towards the last third of the season. Nobody expected Arsenal to finish 2nd never mind lead the league for large parts of the season.

Without investment top 6 won't survive, Liverpool,Arsenal etc have learnt their lessons. Competing with oil clubs is not easy and it's near impossible to continuously finish top 6 without a good investment plan.

Arteta and board have done a full reset after Emery's exit, it's kind of working till now. Having a strong Arsenal, Liverpool & United is important for the league. Keeping rivalary aside, it will be a shame to see City win 4th consecutive title without a proper fight. Now that FA is keeping a blind side on 115 cases, I would care less of we break our wage structure or transfer record.

So I'm on a group with some Arsenal fans and one thing I can't fail to notice, especially over the last 18 months, is the unreal amount of PR around Arteta. There's a deluge of Arsenal players giving inteveews raving about Arteta, or their potential new signings doing it or even the media. I'm a bit confused about this insane PR surrounding a guy who has done absolutely nothing so far.

He's clearly convincing and is able to express his vision (for them) to players.

One thing that comes across in these interviews is that the club seemingly prepares very well for discussions with players/agents. They do their homework. I get the feeling the previous regime did not do this.

Anyway, the new away kit is terrible.

It's the colour of stomach bile on the bathroom tiles after spending all night spewing your guts up.

There needs to be an inquest into how we went from an alltime classic to this abomination.

Anyway, the new away kit is terrible.

It's the colour of stomach bile on the bathroom tiles after spending all night spewing your guts up.

There needs to be an inquest into how we went from an alltime classic to this abomination.
The "story" and intentions behind it are fine,the execution is horrendous. Nobody is buying that safety jacket

They have made all of the right moves this season. The only thing I feel they are missing is a striker to be honest.

Part of me feels haverts was brought in to play that false 9 role and in essence be the striker along with Gabriel Jesus.

I expect them to be in the mic again this season but the team looks strong on paper !

They have made all of the right moves this season. The only thing I feel they are missing is a striker to be honest.

Part of me feels haverts was brought in to play that false 9 role and in essence be the striker along with Gabriel Jesus.

I expect them to be in the mic again this season but the team looks strong on paper !

Yup.

If these Kudus rumours are true, then it confirms to me that Havertz will play more as our CF, and adopt a Joao Felix role, and later possibly play as a technical target man like DCL (assuming he builds up more muscle and strength). That in addition to being able to drop into the Odegaard right 8 (or 10) role as well.

Think the Kudus story mentions we need to sell, so I can see Balogun, and other fringe players go first. Tierney, Holding, Cedric, Lokonga, Pepe and I suspect Vieira too, come to mind here.

Think in the end though, we still need a young backup to Partey, so would be happy to conclude with Lavia if we can. That would complete the side for now in my view.

Yup.

If these Kudus rumours are true, then it confirms to me that Havertz will play more as our CF, and adopt a Joao Felix role, and later possibly play as a technical target man like DCL (assuming he builds up more muscle and strength). That in addition to being able to drop into the Odegaard right 8 (or 10) role as well.

Think the Kudus story mentions we need to sell, so I can see Balogun, and other fringe players go first. Tierney, Holding, Cedric, Lokonga, Pepe and I suspect Vieira too, come to mind here.

Think in the end though, we still need a young backup to Partey, so would be happy to conclude with Lavia if we can. That would complete the side for now in my view.
I don’t feel vieria will leave just yet considering he just joined for big money. Solid back up option and still young as well. He looked alright from what I saw of him at Arsenal last season.

I don’t feel vieria will leave just yet considering he just joined for big money. Solid back up option and still young as well. He looked alright from what I saw of him at Arsenal last season.

I like him too, and he has shown a bit more already this pre-season. He is also the closest profile (along with Zinchenko, and possibly Trossard) to Odegaard in our squad. A playing tempo setter (slowing down and speeding up the game) instead of an all action midfielder who looks to be as direct as possible, as much as possible.

But, we are also limiting our spending in future windows, but doing as much now. Hence I see us dropping our net spend by letting more players go this window.

I'd prefer we keep Balogun over Eddie.

I think we have some potential internal solutions to the backup RW position:

- ESR scored 10 goals playing LW as a 20 year old. He was excellent that season. I don't see why he cannot be backup LW and vye for the midfield role with Havertz. Nelson, the current backup LW can then be moved to backup RW.

- Balogun stays and spends time playing CF, which means Jesus could split time playing CF and RW when needed. Though resting him may become an issue.

Several of our players can play multiple positions fairly well, or are at least versatile on paper. I think we can find a solution within.

Havertz didn't score any volley in the MLS Skills Challenge, Arteta and Edu have some explaining to do...

Rice is an excellent signing but I don't think it moves them that much closer to City. They've consolidated 2nd place at best.

Anyone thinking that Arsenal won’t be better this season, after their great window so far, is mad.

Arteta is clearly a great coach. The young players trust him and have signed contracts accordingly. Their squad is young. They’ve added talent in areas they lack. They perhaps won’t get as many key injuries.

They won’t finish top, but they’ll sail into the top 4.

First trophy of the season in the bag ! Great event by Apple TV, AT&T 5G and Adidas.
Can't wait for the MLS All Star Game presented by Target tomorrow :drool: