Arsenal 2023/24 - Born to be runner up

What is this twitter craze of posting players playing simple backwards five yard passes and claiming they are Iniesta reincarnated?

I don’t really watch Arsenal outside of big games, I’m assuming they are happy/think he’s an upgrade on whatever they had playing there.

Hyperbole aside, going by that highlight video he looks confident and comfortable on the ball, which is encouraging for their fans, I’d guess. Pre-season and all.

I don’t really watch Arsenal outside of big games, I’m assuming they are happy/think he’s an upgrade on whatever they had playing there.

Hyperbole aside, going by that highlight video he looks confident and comfortable on the ball, which is encouraging for their fans, I’d guess. Pre-season and all.
Oh yeah, I'm not denying he's a decent player, majority of Ajax players are good on the ball.
Will be a solid signing I'd imagine.

But I was expecting a bit more from that minute video judging by the title of it.
Realistically that's a minute long highlight footage of Dalot in most games last season!

I am not sure what you are talking about but that looked very good.

I mean there were a few nice moments, but also just a lot of simple passes backwards to a teammate that even AWB would get right.

Timber is probably one of the most press resistant defenders around, which is obviously a big part of helping to build from the back. His passing itself isn't a huge strength though.

The overreaction on here to the overreaction in that video title is just as laughable. As if one post, on Twitter no less, speaks for every Arsenal fan.

Anyway, I feel like Timber is going to become a very entertaining player to watch.

I mean there were a few nice moments, but also just a lot of simple passes backwards to a teammate that even AWB would get right.

Timber is probably one of the most press resistant defenders around, which is obviously a big part of helping to build from the back. His passing itself isn't a huge strength though.
That's fair enough but his composure on the ball, his passing technique and general ability on the ball is really nice. For a team who wants to build from the back and dominate possession he looks here at least, a great pick.

Here's a better video without the hyperbolic clickbait title, for those interested.

That's fair enough but his composure on the ball, his passing technique and general ability on the ball is really nice. For a team who wants to build from the back and dominate possession he looks here at least, a great pick.

Yeah he will be, I'm just not sure he'll be first choice over Saliba at CB or White at RB though. Maybe they'll play him with Saliba, but then where does that leave Gabriel? Seems a bit harsh on him.

Even so, he can cover all those positions. This was a friendly as well though mind, he won't have anywhere near that much time and space in most EPL games. Although he's certainly technically gifted enough to handle a press.

The overreaction on here to the overreaction in that video title is just as laughable. As if one post, on Twitter no less, speaks for every Arsenal fan.

Anyway, I feel like Timber is going to become a very entertaining player to watch.

That's just the internet for you though mate! Everything is dialled up to 11, and the kids use words like 'elite' to describe... everything.

Yeah he will be, I'm just not sure he'll be first choice over Saliba at CB or White at RB though. Maybe they'll play him with Saliba, but then where does that leave Gabriel? Seems a bit harsh on him.

Even so, he can cover all those positions. This was a friendly as well though mind, he won't have anywhere near that much time and space in most EPL games. Although he's certainly technically gifted enough to handle a press.

I think he allows White to spend time at CB covering for Saliba. There was just such a huge drop off from Saliba to Holding last season and we can't afford to have that happen again.

Saliba and Gabriel were both excellent last year so they will be first choice.

I think the main positive would be he could essentially play in place of Zinchenko, and we could flip our defence in terms of which side inverts. KT could play his natural game at fullback too. Zinchenko missed a lot of games last year (19 I believe) and has an average injury record.

I think he allows White to spend time at CB covering for Saliba. There was just such a huge drop off from Saliba to Holding last season and we can't afford to have that happen again.

Saliba and Gabriel were both excellent last year so they will be first choice.

I think the main positive would be he could essentially play in place of Zinchenko, and we could flip our defence in terms of which side inverts. KT could play his natural game at fullback too. Zinchenko missed a lot of games last year (19 I believe) and has an average injury record.

Agreed.

First choice is just not that relevant anymore as a concept. Who is first choice in City's defense? The whole point is that they have 6-7 high quality and versatile players competing for those positions, they can change based on matchup, and they can withstand injuries without having to change their style.

The important thing for any team trying to play a similar way - which we certainly are - is to also amass 6-7 defenders that can play a possession-dominant game while also having the overall athleticism and strength in duels in the group that is necessary to defend a high line. We've got five for sure now (Saliba, Gabriel, White, Zinchenko, Timber) with another two guys that have the potential to be good enough (Tomiyasu if he can stay fit really, Kiwior still a bit raw but he has the athletic and on-ball tools).

I personally still think Tierney will go this summer. I just don't think the role we can offer him (essentially, if Zincheno isn't playing he'll be able to compete with Kiwior for the LB position) will be enough to satisfy him.

Agreed.

First choice is just not that relevant anymore as a concept. Who is first choice in City's defense? The whole point is that they have 6-7 high quality and versatile players competing for those positions, they can change based on matchup, and they can withstand injuries without having to change their style.

The important thing for any team trying to play a similar way - which we certainly are - is to also amass 6-7 defenders that can play a possession-dominant game while also having the overall athleticism and strength in duels in the group that is necessary to defend a high line. We've got five for sure now (Saliba, Gabriel, White, Zinchenko, Timber) with another two guys that have the potential to be good enough (Tomiyasu if he can stay fit really, Kiwior still a bit raw but he has the athletic and on-ball tools).

I personally still think Tierney will go this summer. I just don't think the role we can offer him (essentially, if Zincheno isn't playing he'll be able to compete with Kiwior for the LB position) will be enough to satisfy him.

I think now that you have Timber on the other side, you can rotate Tierney and Zinchenko a bit better without having to suffer from Tierney's inability to fulfil Zinchenko's role.

I think now that you have Timber on the other side, you can rotate Tierney and Zinchenko a bit better without having to suffer from Tierney's inability to fulfil Zinchenko's role.
I think Tierney will be sold.

I think Tierney will be sold.

Fair enough. I would hate that if I was an Arsenal fan. If he isn’t kicking up a fuss about his role, just keep him around as top class depth.

Fair enough. I would hate that if I was an Arsenal fan. If he isn’t kicking up a fuss about his role, just keep him around as top class depth.

It's not a done deal that he will be sold. Arsenal won't sell him for less than he is worth. Newcastle seemed to have cooled their interest and I'm not sure Celtic would be able to offer enough to make it worth Arsenal's while. (I also think it would be step back for Tierney in his career at this point.) He looked quite good against the MLS All Stars - very solid defensively and got to play more to his strengths, with the inverting in the midfield done by Timber on the right side. He is top class depth/starter quality and Zinchenko gets injured a fair bit. He's a good character and I'd prefer he stays.

That said, Arsenal could do with offsetting some of the new transfer fees with outgoings and the players most likely to bring decent fees that Arteta would be willing to part with are Tierney, Partey and Balogun.

That's a good point. I just don't know if it'll amount to enough minutes and a big enough role to satisfy Tierney, who comes across as a guy who really just wants to play football.

KT is a quality LB and would start for most EPL clubs. He would easily be the best backup LB in the league.

The issue last year was that he is not suited to this whole inverted fullback-come-midfielder role, whilst Zinchenko is.

But whilst Zinchenko was playing this role we had White (or Tomiyasu) playing on the other flank. Both are quality defenders that can play as a third CB or overlap as a proper fullback, which are also KT's strengths.

IMO signing Timber means we can get the best out of KT again, and can still employ a system that Arteta likes even when Zinchenko is out.

If KT wants to leave then so be it, I wouldn't blame him as he's far too good to be a second choice LB. But I hope he stays.

I think Arteta appreciates defenders that are very comfortable on the ball, which is why the club has bought Zinchenko (LB), Kiwior (LCB/LB), White (RCB/RB) and Timber (RCB/RB). Plus we already had Saliba (RCB) at the club. Now we have players that can play across any position in the backline.

Last edited:
Rice I think will be quality long term but I don't see the point in havertz. Ignoring how bad they played today. Arteta found such good balance, and key to that was xhaka and Partey being a duo. Why is he thinking that Rice can do that on his own?? Havertz is a false 9, he isn't a midfielder, his defensive work is mediocre, he doesn't know in possession how to play that role and besides, that role leaves them so open in midfield and they have less players in that deep buildup.

Will be different with Zinchenko tucking in tbf, but I reckon they'll put a real midfielder in for Havertz before long and they'll look off until they adjust.

The Caf Pre Match...even though its pre season and it's all about fitness if Arsenal win their fans will be insufferable.

The Caf Post Match...5 Arsenal threads at top of page wiping out team, players and manager. :D

Fair play, you deserved the win, we're more aggressive and didn't gift 2 goals away. Bad day at the office for us.

The Caf Pre Match...even though its pre season and it's all about fitness if Arsenal win their fans will be insufferable.

The Caf Post Match...5 Arsenal threads at top of page. :D

Fair play, you deserved the win, we're more aggressive and didn't gift 2 goals away. Bad day at the office for us.
:lol: was the same last year when we beat Liverpool in a preseason friendly.

The Caf Post Match...5 Arsenal threads at top of page. :D

United squad have trained less than Arsenal yet looked more hungry / intense.

Despite changing the full team at half time.

That’s not hysterics just facts.

Why did Ødegaard and Gabriel play the full 90 minutes? Seems unwise at this point of pre season.

I know it's only pre-season but Havertz is already looking like a poor fit for them. Really not sure why they spunked all that money on him.

The Caf Post Match...5 Arsenal threads at top of page wiping out team, players and manager. :D

We're just better than you.

I know it's only pre-season but Havertz is already looking like a poor fit for them. Really not sure why they spunked all that money on him.
He's a poor fit for Chelsea and the PL in general. Him and Sancho are stuck in this zone between being too good for Germany but too shit for England. There's got to be some middle ground for them both in another league somewhere.

Pre season friendlies almost always mean nothing.

I remember one under LVG we looked great and then the season started and we were shite.

Still always nice to beat Arsenal at anything, especially to beat them twice in one night.

Don't know, didn't exactly wake Liverpool up last season did it?

They neglected their midfield which is kind of illogical for a team playing 100mph football. And they put all their eggs in the Nunez basket too early. Arsenal are better of squad wise than at the start of last season, but they'll be weighed down by expectation and rivals will strengthen.

Honestly the Havertz transfer is looking quite bizarre at the moment. Never looked the same as he did for Leverkusen in his 3 years with Chelsea. Just a very ordinary player and the worst part is no one knows where he is supposed to play. Played for Chelsea as a CF for the entire season and yet somehow he was a prime target for Arteta to replace Xhaka at CM. I'm quite positive even Havertz doesn't know where he is supposed to play. The footballing equivalnt of the color beige.

A midfield trio costing circa £200M in total was outclassed and outperformed by an academy graduate in Kobbie Mainoo.