Arne Slot | Liverpool manager (Posture Watch)

It's going to be embarrassing when he completely outclasses ten hag.

BUT WE WON THE CUP BOYS.
A self proclaimed united fan but a self evident hater. Dissing your own manager for who? Arne slot? Doubt you support united. It’s a proper RAWK TUAH to grease him.

Relax guys, Slot won one preseason friendly game against Arsenal and you guys are pooping your pants. Embarrassing.

Genuinely can't believe he's been given no backing in his first window. The squad isn't bad but we're already behind City and Arsenal, so the plan is to stand still?

Next summer I expect Van Dijk, Salah, TAA and possibly Alisson to go, so possibly the club is planning for a big summer next year?

I think we should be aiming for 3rd or 4th with the current squad.

There is no sign of it, to be honest, so far, but I hope he fails spectacularly :)

That is the only comment I care to make about the Liverpool baldhead. Our baldhead > Scouser baldhead

You're making it sounds like you're like forward to it.
Anti-Erik squadron of United fans really seem to hate him so much that they would rather United fail –– just to feel righteous. Not a good look

Genuinely can't believe he's been given no backing in his first window. The squad isn't bad but we're already behind City and Arsenal, so the plan is to stand still?

Next summer I expect Van Dijk, Salah, TAA and possibly Alisson to go, so possibly the club is planning for a big summer next year?

The situation with zubimendi was very reminiscent of Utd in recent years.
All the eggs, one basket.
No contingency plan.
If no further signings I think 4th would be a good result.
VVD is nearing the end and I suspect salah will wait to go on a free.
Massively important to get TAA tied down or at least get a decent fee for him if he does leave.
It might be next year where there is a proper struggle

You're making the mistake of thinking the current squad will perform at the levels Klopp got from them. Klopp is a genuine world class manager, who elevated your squad beyond their normal level. Maybe Slot is the guy, but I'd say it's more likely some players will see a drop off. You'll do well to get CL in my opinion.

You're making the mistake of thinking the current squad will perform at the levels Klopp got from them. Klopp is a genuine world class manager, who elevated your squad beyond their normal level. Maybe Slot is the guy, but I'd say it's more likely some players will see a drop off. You'll do well to get CL in my opinion.
I only have pre-season to base it on so should wait until the season starts, but I have liked the style of play so far. We have lots of goals in us. If Jota stays fit he scores 20-25 PL goals imo. But yes, Klopp is a vastly superior manager. Slot doesn't have that aura about him.

I'm curious how he handles bigger games. Klopp had a one dimensional approach to them where we play our way and that's that.

Ipswich (a), Brentford (h) and United (a) first three. Could see us with 4-7 points from those.

I only have pre-season to base it on so should wait until the season starts, but I have liked the style of play so far. We have lots of goals in us. If Jota stays fit he scores 20-25 PL goals imo. But yes, Klopp is a vastly superior manager. Slot doesn't have that aura about him.

I'm curious how he handles bigger games. Klopp had a one dimensional approach to them where we play our way and that's that.

Ipswich (a), Brentford (h) and United (a) first three. Could see us with 4-7 points from those.
Sounds reasonable, I'd say minimum 6 from your first 2 games and then the derby is a bit of a toss up. Would be an ok start for him.

Couldn't see a Liverpool thread for the season, so will ask here - what do Liverpool supporters expect from their team this season?

I was watching some previews for the season ahead and it seems that Liverpool pundits (Carragher, Murphy and co.) are expecting the team to be an improvement on last seasons, but I am struggling to see how. The club has lost the most important man and have not backed the new manager in the market, while at the same time allowing three of their most important players to come into the season with an eye on the exit being in the last year of their contracts. I just struggle to see how performances this season improve after losing probably the second best manager in the world at the moment. I don't follow all the goings on at the club, am I missing the reasons why Liverpool will be better this year? I'm sure Elliott will improve, Quansah too? Is that enough?

I'm sure I will get better rationale from Liverpool supporters here than the likes of Carragher and Murphy, but do you expect Liverpool to be a lock for the top 3 like most pundits seem to?

Must admit I’m a bit worried.

We’re one of the biggest clubs in the world that just lost one of the best managers in the world after coming up short in three competitions - to then not sign even one player (even though the needs are very obvious) and have our three most important players enter the final year of their contract is borderline criminal.

Can’t shake the feeling that Klopp left because he heard about our future “transfer strategy”.

I’ve had a shit day, so maybe I’m overreacting, tbf.

Couldn't see a Liverpool thread for the season, so will ask here - what do Liverpool supporters expect from their team this season?

I was watching some previews for the season ahead and it seems that Liverpool pundits (Carragher, Murphy and co.) are expecting the team to be an improvement on last seasons, but I am struggling to see how. The club has lost the most important man and have not backed the new manager in the market, while at the same time allowing three of their most important players to come into the season with an eye on the exit being in the last year of their contracts. I just struggle to see how performances this season improve after losing probably the second best manager in the world at the moment. I don't follow all the goings on at the club, am I missing the reasons why Liverpool will be better this year? I'm sure Elliott will improve, Quansah too? Is that enough?

I'm sure I will get better rationale from Liverpool supporters here than the likes of Carragher and Murphy, but do you expect Liverpool to be a lock for the top 3 like most pundits seem to?
I guess Carragher and Murphy don’t rate Klopp. Either that, or they’re delusional scousers. I wonder…

We’re one of the biggest clubs in the world that just lost one of the best managers in the world after coming up short in three competitions - to then not sign even one player (even though the needs are very obvious) and have our three most important players enter the final year of their contract is borderline criminal.

Can’t shake the feeling that Klopp left because he heard about our future “transfer strategy”.

It's a strange one. Obviously, losing Klopp is going to set the side back a bit and a title push is probably unrealistic, but I don't believe that Liverpool would need to have a massive summer window to elevate themselves a bit above the CL place scrap that is likely to envelop Spurs, Villa, Newcastle, Chelsea, and United. As things stand, I could see you being drawn into that scrap and then it looks like a bit of a toss up for the places from 3rd through to 8th, with very little differentiating the contenders.

It does feel strange that they seem to be content with a squad which came up short last season while having an absolutely top manager at the helm. Though they are all paid a lot to know much more about these things than the average supporter.

We were told last season what a great job it was that Klopp had done, then you need to improve the squad to help the new man in charge surely? On the pitch and in the dressing room.

Sounds reasonable, I'd say minimum 6 from your first 2 games and then the derby is a bit of a toss up. Would be an ok start for him.
Just waiting for the inevitable Ipswich goal 5 minutes in on Saturday.

I don't think we'll be better than last season, but I don't think the drop off will be extreme. There's a possibility we end up outside the top four, but I only see that being 5th or at worst 6th. This squad is good enough to finish 3rd/4th this season. We won't challenge for the league.

Part of my confidence is coming from the face that I look at everyone else below us and don't see a lot that concerns me. We might drop 5-10 points from last season (we finished on 82) but I still think that'll be enough.

As for the 25/26 season, I'm concerned. Alisson, TAA, Van Dijk and Salah could all leave. That's a lot to lose from the spine of the team and they're all starters in our strongest XI. I think Salah is the easiest to replace but players like Van Dijk are few and far between. We won't get a keeper as good as Alisson any time soon either.

The club is leaving Slot in a crappy position. No serious backing this summer and a massive summer rebuild next season too. We've never signed established stars either so we're banking on finding up and coming players ready to make the step up.

It's a strange one. Obviously, losing Klopp is going to set the side back a bit and a title push is probably unrealistic, but I don't believe that Liverpool would need to have a massive summer window to elevate themselves a bit above the CL place scrap that is likely to envelop Spurs, Villa, Newcastle, Chelsea, and United. As things stand, I could see you being drawn into that scrap and then it looks like a bit of a toss up for the places from 3rd through to 8th, with very little differentiating the contenders.

I’m not talking about a massive summer, but a six and either a cb or someone to relieve Salah should’ve been doable for a club of our size with CL football.

It does feel strange that they seem to be content with a squad which came up short last season while having an absolutely top manager at the helm. Though they are all paid a lot to know much more about these things than the average supporter.

We were told last season what a great job it was that Klopp had done, then you need to improve the squad to help the new man in charge surely? On the pitch and in the dressing room.

There’s every chance I’m just being a bed wetter right now. But them doing a net spend+ summer after getting a new manager is ridiculous imo.

I don't think we'll be better than last season, but I don't think the drop off will be extreme. There's a possibility we end up outside the top four, but I only see that being 5th or at worst 6th. This squad is good enough to finish 3rd/4th this season. We won't challenge for the league.

Part of my confidence is coming from the face that I look at everyone else below us and don't see a lot that concerns me. We might drop 5-10 points from last season (we finished on 82) but I still think that'll be enough.

As for the 25/26 season, I'm concerned. Alisson, TAA, Van Dijk and Salah could all leave. That's a lot to lose from the spine of the team and they're all starters in our strongest XI. I think Salah is the easiest to replace but players like Van Dijk are few and far between. We won't get a keeper as good as Alisson any time soon either.

The club is leaving Slot in a crappy position. No serious backing this summer and a massive summer rebuild next season too. We've never signed established stars either so we're banking on finding up and coming players ready to make the step up.

I agree with this.

I think Liverpool will be fine this season, as in challenge and probably finish top 4, but it's from next season I can see trouble for you. It would have been difficult to properly replace the likes of Salah and VVD and Alexander Arnold anyway but having to do so without Klopp and possibly without getting any money for them makes it an incredibly difficult job.

I don't think Liverpool have set up Slot to be successful.

Slot has inherited a fairly settled team and a lot of the teams fighting for the spots between 3rd and 6th aren't in great shape themselves so he might still end up doing okay in his first season. There have been quite a few seasons in the past where the teams who have 'won the transfer window' have done badly and vice-versa.

Liverpool's transfer strategy this summer does seem bizarre though. As you say, the needs are pretty obvious and Zubimendi is the only link of substance I've seen in those positions. The Mamardashvili one is pretty baffling too. Maybe the idea is to succession plan for when Alisson leaves... but it would be strange to sign a keeper for decent money if the plan is to loan him out, particularly when no other signings have been made yet.

Thanks for this. All seems fair.

Do you think Van Dijk or Alexander-Arnold will extend? Noises seem to indicate Salah is less likely to, but is that likely the case?

Slot has inherited a fairly settled team and a lot of the teams fighting for the spots between 3rd and 6th aren't in great shape themselves so he might still end up doing okay in his first season. There have been quite a few seasons in the past where the teams who have 'won the transfer window' have done badly and vice-versa.

Liverpool's transfer strategy this summer does seem bizarre though. As you say, the needs are pretty obvious and Zubimendi is the only link of substance I've seen in those positions. The Mamardashvili one is pretty baffling too. Maybe the idea is to succession plan for when Alisson leaves... but it would be strange to sign a keeper for decent money if the plan is to loan him out, particularly when no other signings have been made yet.

I also think our squad is decent and we might well finish top 4.

I just find it incredibly unambitious to do nothing at all in the transfer market when we have a new manager and he’s already shown he doesn’t rate the only 6 that we have.

You’re not overreacting. It’s bad. Really bad.

How hasn't he been backed? Beier chose Dortmund over Liverpool and zubimendi chose not to leave sociedad. We blew everyone out of the water for Yoro (Liverpool, PSG and Madrid included).

I don't think the Liverpool squad needs too much work. Buying Mamadashvalli and loaning him out for a season before he replaces Alison is sensible if it happens. Mamadashvalli is a helluva of a keeper.

Yeah Salah and VVD are the wrong side of 30, but it gives Liverpool and slot time to work out who they want for replacements. Slot wants his wide players to hold the width and Salah likes to cut inside into the half space. So I presume Liverpool will look for a right sided winger who can go inside and outside to replace him. Get one more season out of Salah under a new manager and then flog him to Saudi.

Will be interesting to see how Liverpool do under Slot. Also remains to be seen if they do something stupid like us and panic and buy their version of a Antony for double his actual value.

You can almost guarantee Klopp left because he didn’t have the energy to fight for transfer funds every season only to miss out on the players he wanted anyway.