Arne Slot | Liverpool manager (Posture Watch)

We're not talking about ETH here. What did Slot do so well today? The difference was 3 big mistakes, Salah quality and Allison making some saves and Onana not.

I know it feels shit and it is shit losing to anyone, but like this to Liverpool especially. But today is fine margins. Allison makes 3 good saves, not great but good. If we have Salah creating or finishing those chances, we score at least one, and if Allison is in goal for us, they don't score their second or third.

I'll repeat again, we're not talking about ETH or his mistakes. He signed Onana etc. Yes I know, that's for another thread. I just don't think Slot did anything brilliant today. Even in pre-season 3-0, they were just clinical and we weren't.
It wasn’t even competitive save for ten minutes in the start of the match. There were no fine margins and you sound like an apologist for your coach who is clearly lacking something to keep united consistently competitive. I always thought it was the players but it’s now apparent you have stuck with ETH too long. As for Slot , he has put his trust in the midfield and has them clicking with Szoboszlai further up the pitch. The team is not as prone to give up chances on the counter which was on display today. Watch it again.

When's his first real test?
Our next four are Forest and Bournemouth at home followed by palace and wolves away. Then we play Chelsea at home and Arsenal away back to back.

I think we’ll be on 7 wins from 7 after the next four, but Arsenal away is one we might come unstuck in.

It wasn’t even competitive save for ten minutes in the start of the match. There were no fine margins and you sound like an apologist for your coach who is clearly lacking something to keep united consistently competitive. I always thought it was the players but it’s now apparent you have stuck with ETH too long. As for Slot , he has put his trust in the midfield and has them clicking with Szoboszlai further up the pitch. The team is not as prone to give up chances on the counter which was on display today. Watch it again.
Apologist for ETH when I said he isn't good enough? How's that?

He put his trust on his midfield because he had no choice but too.
The difference today was the quality of Allison and Salah. Wasn't any tactical masterclass or anything like that.

Any manager coming into Liverpool with Klopp's team were going to be okay. All Slot has done is tweak a well oiled machine. If he doesn't get top 4 with this team, he needs to be sacked. His real test will be next season when Salah, VVD and Trent have gone on free transfers and Liverpool will need to find 150m to rebuild.

Any manager coming into Liverpool with Klopp's team were going to be okay. All Slot has done is tweak a well oiled machine. If he doesn't get top 4 with this team, he needs to be sacked. His real test will be next season when Salah, VVD and Trent have gone on free transfers and Liverpool will need to find 150m to rebuild.
Bullshit. Moyes managed to ruin Sir Alex's title-winning team in couple months

Much as I hate Liverpool, it could be fun if Slot manages to kick Lego Pep Arteta off the second place and onto 3rd, which is starting to feel very possible. Doubt Slot can de-throne City, though. He simply doesn't have good enough squad for that

Tweaking a well-oiled machine is commendable. But yeah, if he fails to hit top 4 he should be sacked. But only after two seasons. United are the cautionary tale here. Coming 8th and spending a fortune but not sacked. Remarkably poor executive management.

Ye it was easy taking over from Klopp but I think he’s made them a lot more solid defensively which is a worry. You always fancied yourself against a Klopp team as he played a very high line. That looks different under slot.

I do like that he turned Gravenberch into prime Pogba in a matter of weeks. What's up with that?

It’s hard to judge him at this point as he’s had three very easy games. Nottingham, Bournemouth and Wolves next should be relatively straightforward too.

Ye it was easy taking over from Klopp but I think he’s made them a lot more solid defensively which is a worry. You always fancied yourself against a Klopp team as he played a very high line. That looks different under slot.
It’s actually not easy taking over from a top top coach and team. Especially with players a year older, no backing really with transfers and three of your best players without contracts next year. Not just anybody could do it with the scrutiny they will receive after replacing a Klopp or an SAF type mgr. Not getting the right mgr can set teams back for years and decades as you well know. I think we might have gotten lucky here, at least to have a mgr in place with a plan that won’t implode us.

I do like that he turned Gravenberch into prime Pogba in a matter of weeks. What's up with that?
It's bizarre. In his first season, Gravenberch looked like he had all the tools of a midfielder, in terms of technique, passing and physique, and none of the skills. Like at all. He looked utterly uncoached.

These past few weeks, a poor start against Ipswich aside, he's been winning his battles, bringing the ball forward and generally looking like a proper midfielder. I thought him uncoachable, certainly in the deeper role. No idea how slot has managed it.

It’s actually not easy taking over from a top top coach and team. Especially with players a year older, no backing really with transfers and three of your best players without contracts next year. Not just anybody could do it with the scrutiny they will receive after replacing a Klopp or an SAF type mgr. Not getting the right mgr can set teams back for years and decades as you well know. I think we might have gotten lucky here, at least to have a mgr in place with a plan that won’t implode us.
Ye but it’s easier to take over from an already half successful squad that’s been challenging at the top end for a while. Fergie left his next manager with an over aged squad and then the people above got decision after decision wrong. Which is why we’re still miles away. INEOS are trying to put some of that right, and have started in this window. We never use to be able to sell players. We’ve made like over 100m doing so this time around.

It’s hard to judge him at this point as he’s had three very easy games. Nottingham, Bournemouth and Wolves next should be relatively straightforward too.
Wolves and Bournemouth can cause problems when at their best. Liverpool should win though as they keep building momentum. Be interesting to see how they bounce back from a loss.

Liverpool looked like Klopp's team today, they didn't create much by building through possession but were monstrous in the press and took full advantage of 3 errors to score the 3 goals.

He just had to turn up and tell them to just keep doing what they have been for the last 5 years.

He has no new signing either, it's basically the same team that finished 3rd on 82 points a month ago.

The comparisons with United are a just being made so the sports panels can stick the knife into United for another segment before the ad break.

Can't wait for Salah, Trent, Virgil and Alisson to leave next season.

They haven't put a foot wrong in three matches. It'll be interesting to see how Chiesa does; if he can stay fit I think he'll do very well.

They are comfortably a top three team under their new baldy.

Tweaking a well-oiled machine is commendable. But yeah, if he fails to hit top 4 he should be sacked. But only after two seasons. United are the cautionary tale here. Coming 8th and spending a fortune but not sacked. Remarkably poor executive management.
The two trophies ETH has won in his first two seasons has something to do with him not being sacked.

He spoke good sense after the game, but I don't think Liverpool were anything special yesterday. We were shite, and they've got attackers who are just clinical. See what happens, I still hope Slot isn't any good. Early days.

Were people saying it was easy for Moyes to take over from SAF? I remember mostly the opposite argument that he has big shoes to fill.

It's bizarre. In his first season, Gravenberch looked like he had all the tools of a midfielder, in terms of technique, passing and physique, and none of the skills. Like at all. He looked utterly uncoached.

These past few weeks, a poor start against Ipswich aside, he's been winning his battles, bringing the ball forward and generally looking like a proper midfielder. I thought him uncoachable, certainly in the deeper role. No idea how slot has managed it.

He looks very good but your opponents in the past 3 games have pretty much gone out of their way to allow you to counter at will. That said, you can only play whats in front of you and you've rolled everyone so far.

Keeping this thread bumped to go on about how great he is and how Liverpool are and letting Liverpool posters goad after this win is just so fecking weird.

Were people saying it was easy for Moyes to take over from SAF? I remember mostly the opposite argument that he has big shoes to fill.
The vibe on here, before a ball was kicked in anger, was that now the Klopp effect was gone, we'd soon find out that this group isn't all that and we'd tumble the way united did when Ferguson left.

Now it seems the vibe is that Klopp left behind a settled squad with little need for adjustment.

I thought new managers needed a few seasons and a complete rebuild before they are able to coach their own style successfully. I guess that's only a United thing, because we're special

They haven't put a foot wrong in three matches. It'll be interesting to see how Chiesa does; if he can stay fit I think he'll do very well.

They are comfortably a top three team under their new baldy.

When the hell did they get Chiesa :lol: Totally missed that, wonder where he’ll play. False 9?

Too soon to tell what Slot will do, though they started out well. So did Postecoglu last season and eventually they drifted off.

every game so far we've had one of these rondo drills nearly turn into a goal. would be nice if they started going in.

Moyes should have been able to get top 4, which is essentially Slot’s minimum exeictation I would guess? I do think Pool set him up a lot better though if you look at their last couple of windows, lots of younger players coming in and his big headaches are basically replacing VVD and Salah next summer. Not easy but Moyes had loads of older players and also no recruiting ability to get what we needed.

Obviously wrong. He seems to do very well as tactically, physically Pool were miles better despite playing differently to Klopps football

They had very good movement yesterday vs us. The way they would drop deep to drag players out and the rotations of players was pretty good.

It's the Abou Diaby syndrome. In all probability he moves back to par over the course of the season.

Slot's tactics have generally agreed with him, has to be said, as did Ten Hags.

The two trophies ETH has won in his first two seasons has something to do with him not being sacked.
I know and it’s profoundly wrongheaded.

Fair play if some still want to defend him. He’s really poor.

I know and it’s profoundly wrongheaded.

Fair play if some still want to defend him. He’s really poor.
I really hope he sees out this season with them. Anything to distract me from the crushing inevitability of a failed title challenge.

I really hope he sees out this season with them. Anything to distract me from the crushing inevitability of a failed title challenge.
If the owners are serious - which their PR suggests - they’re 3 months too late. However, if they stumble at Southampton he’s in danger.

A more likely scenario is he’ll win a few, giving the illusion that he’s sorted things out. This cycle seems to have saved him up to now.

It hurts when you say United at Old Trafford is an easy game. It hurts because its true
For any decently organized team we are super easy to play against. Over the last couple of years we've been thoroughly outplayed and beaten by Brighton, Brentford, Bournemouth, Newcastle, Fulham and Crystal Palace.

Regardless of the talent level of the squad, it's still a tough job to come in and replace a successful, beloved manager with big personality like Klopp. And despite looking like a disgraced former police officer, Slot appears to be doing a good job and comes across as quite astute in his interviews.

Like others have said, it'll be interesting to see what happens next season if they do Salah, VVD, and Trent. Still can't believe that they could let all those players leave for nothing but that's hardly Slot's doing.

Nobody thinks Klopp leaving has helped the new manager with regards to the players?

What I mean is that at the end of last season so much of the talk was about Klopp leaving that maybe focus was taken away from what was, in my opinion, starting to happen behind the scenes.

Salah looks revitalized, was not happy towards the end of Klops tenure.

Likes of Virgil and Trent coming to the end of their contracts and not looking to sign. Look happy currently so probably will.

The team looks more cohesive and defense seems stronger.

Nobody can judge Slot vs ETH from tactical point of view, it’s far too early for that. However, I can’t help but feel that Slot being far more articulate in English must be some kind of advantage… when managing an English team.