Are you confident of success in the INEOS era?

Ineos/Ratcliffe can’t make Nice better team and challenge Top 3 in the Ligue 1 since they took-over last 5 years. That should tell you the truth how capable they are and I wonder what make you believe they can turn around Man United in 5 years. Our recruitment is disaster until now and we still give luxury wage on declining players. There’re too many team structure issues along with the manager that need ruthless fix which I don’t see that sign under Ineos yet.

INEOS are behaving as any major shareholder should do. This is what we wanted. This is what we signed up for.

I’m no oracle - I currently drive a bus in Dublin but beforehand I was involved in the global corporate world. We know without doubt ineos do not view ETH as the long term solution for Manchester United. There have been countless opportunities to anoint him in the press as our long term strategist and manager. Every opportunity to do so has been rejected.

So we know, with some degree of certainty that INEOS do not see ETH as our long term manager. However as any multi- billion business a succession plan remains THE most important strategic consideration even if the incumbent individual has done a good job. If there have failed to move with the times - then the choice becomes more difficult. A catch up choice if you like. So, Nagelsman -
Amorim Might be viewed as such.

A necessary difficulty that needs to be addressed as opposed to let’s give it to Giggsy until end o’t season. We walk to the correct choice as opposed to running to the wrong one. Those that say give it to Ruud. What happens if Amorim/Nagelsman is out preferred choice. Do we then ask him to incorporate Ruud into his team. Do we say thanks and sack a club legend?
We wanted football people making football decisions. Yes, the fare on offer is shite.
But the right choice may be waiting until our mananger is an available in June and laying the groundwork for them.

This season is not yet a write off. Whatever success we have going forward will be built on what happens this year - good or bad.

Sorry if this reads poorly or the formatting is shite. I’m a wee bit pissed! Love to all of us. We’ve had it rough but there are brighter days ahead.

INEOS are behaving as any major shareholder should do. This is what we wanted. This is what we signed up for.

I’m no oracle - I currently drive a bus in Dublin but beforehand I was involved in the global corporate world. We know without doubt ineos do not view ETH as the long term solution for Manchester United. There have been countless opportunities to anoint him in the press as our long term strategist and manager. Every opportunity to do so has been rejected.

So we know, with some degree of certainty that INEOS do not see ETH as our long term manager. However as any multi- billion business a succession plan remains THE most important strategic consideration even if the incumbent individual has done a good job. If there have failed to move with the times - then the choice becomes more difficult. A catch up choice if you like. So, Nagelsman -

A necessary difficulty that needs to be addressed as opposed to let’s give it to Giggsy until end o’t season. We walk to the correct choice as opposed to running to the wrong one. Those that say give it to Ruud. What happens if Amorim/Nagelsman is out preferred choice. Do we then ask him to incorporate Ruud into his team. Do we say thanks and sack a club legend?
We wanted football people making football decisions. Yes, the fare on offer is shite.
But the right choice may be waiting until our mananger is an available in June and laying the groundwork for them.

This season is not yet a write off. Whatever success we have going forward will be built on what happens this year - good or bad.

Sorry if this reads poorly or the formatting is shite. I’m a wee bit pissed! Love to all of us. We’ve had it rough but there are brighter days ahead.
Oh goodness - so sorry! Just read this back. I’m fierce drunk. Much love.

If they are keeping him solely because of his buyout price, I’d be scared ****less with this group.

Oh goodness - so sorry! Just read this back. I’m fierce drunk. Much love.
You posted more sensibly than a lot of sober people on here! I hadn't thought about the Ruud conundrum tbh.. is he part of the EtH staff? Will he be caretaker if EtH goes? What if results pick up under his management?

It's reasonable and there is no need to apologise. Most misgivings stem from the fact that a poor season, especially a written off season, will affect how long you can rebuild because it negatively impacts how much you can spend and the calibre of player you can lure.

So if we write off this season we will be at this exact stage of the rebuild next season, that's more year farther away from the title and that's one more year out of the big time. We are already not playing the Club World Cup, who knows how much money that will pay and our rivals like Liverpool, City and Arsenal will have and that gives them more tools to push on far ahead of us.

We don't have the luxury to keep failing and eventually it will adversely affect the health of the club as a company. So we should correct course as soon as possible, it should be unheard of for us to finish below 6th or to even miss CL football because of the resources we deploy. Sacking Ten Hag now is course correction.

We should also disabuse ourselves of the notion that we can design a long term managerial tenure. A manager should earn every season, every next few months or in Ten Hag's situation every next game.

I think they can make us a success but they got to do things different. The old United needs to be a thing of the past, we need to move forward and bring the club into 2024, which with the new stadium etc it appears they are doing. Sentimentality needs to be a thing of the past, we just love an academy product and a ex legend, we’re a sucker for it but it’s not always what’s best moving forward.

They have to get ruthless with this team. They have to build a better culture (they are working on it but that will take years to unravel, we’re talking 11 years of poor culture at this club where mediocre has been allowed to fester). If you don’t have the metal or the ability to play at united, you shouldn’t, it’s that simple.

And most important of all, player power has to go. It can’t be a thing. Whatever manager, whoever we get, has to rule the roost, has to be backed over players. If there’s players that throws their toys out of the pram when they don’t like something, they need to be moved on ASAP. It’s a team game, a squad game and egos need to be left at the door. If someone is leaking stuff to the media, they need to be banished. If someone isn’t following instructions, isn’t tracking back when asked too, ducking out of challenges, constantly making poor decisions, greedy.. they need to go. You either start playing for the team, the club, the badge, the fans, the manager or feck off. It’s time to really weed out the shite and start acting like playing for United is a big fecking deal. Do half of these players even understand what this club means? It doesn’t get much better than this club. It’s sad what’s happened to it in recent years and it’s going to take a lot of hard work. It’s a gigantic job, it really is.

Things can change very quickly in football. Teams are nowhere near and then 2-3 years later they are up there with the best (or sometimes it’s the other way around). Leverkusen were down there mid-table and soon after went a season without losing a game. Villa were middling or worse and are now playing Bayern in CL.
We have a coaching problem. Nothing else. Some of us, we have been sounding the alarm on how we play over 18 months ago.

A team with zero control, poor possession, very unbalanced player qualities then add a manager who doesn't believe his tactics are absurd = to a disaster.

Other managers can tell it. Other fans from opposing team can tell it. But some United fans and Manager himself can't see through it. With a change of manager, just get a young upcoming manager, our fortunes will change in 1 year. By year 2026 we should be averaging 80 points.

Things can change very quickly in football. Teams are nowhere near and then 2-3 years later they are up there with the best (or sometimes it’s the other way around). Leverkusen were down there mid-table and soon after went a season without losing a game. Villa were middling or worse and are now playing Bayern in CL.

Leverkusen in Germany has only 1 team to overcome. It's not really a great comparison for me. Leicester won the league recently as well but I would call that an outlier rather than evidence that things can turn around over night.

I think your misunderstanding me. I'm not talking about the likes of villa getting into top 4 once. I'm talking about united winning the league and challenging season in season out.

We have seen with all the failed managers outside of moyes them all getting top 4 and 3 of the 5 permanent managers won trophies as well.

To do this right and be sustainably top 2/3 every season it's going to take a lot of time and obviously there's still a lot of United fans haven't woke up to this reality yet.

We have a coaching problem. Nothing else. Some of us, we have been sounding the alarm on how we play over 18 months ago.

A team with zero control, poor possession, very unbalanced player qualities then add a manager who doesn't believe his tactics are absurd = to a disaster.

Other managers can tell it. Other fans from opposing team can tell it. But some United fans and Manager himself can't see through it. With a change of manager, just get a young upcoming manager, our fortunes will change in 1 year. By year 2026 we should be averaging 80 points.
I really hope you're being facetious. If it where that simple it would have been done.

FpUgEahXwAU89rp.jpg:large

This graph neatly captures the most fundamental problem we've experienced over the last decade.

Typically wage bills correlate heavily with success in football. The single best predictor of how well a team will do over multiple seasons is how much they spend on wages.

However in our case, we've noticeably underperformed against against our spending, due to horrendous mismanagement of the club. In a way none of our rival PL clubs have.

The point in relation to this thread being that we already have the single biggest factor in determining success on our side, which is the ability to spend. We've just been an outlier in failing to make the most of that advantage. The football equivalent of Sideshow Bob repeatedly walking into rakes.

So when we talk about success in the INEOS era, all that requires is for us to perform to par in terms of return on what we spend. The base level of competence that countless other teams show immediately puts us in line with teams like Chelsea and Liverpool, who each won a PL & CL in the period covered by the graph above.

The details beyond that (i.e. which manager we hire, when we fire the current manager, whether we successfully sign player X, the style of football etc.) are typically less relevant and shorter term concerns. Over a longer period it's as simple as getting the returns expected on the wages we give our players, which primarily comes down to our recruitment process.

Tldr: If we keep spending as much as we have spent, it will be difficult for us not to achieve success under INEOS. Because the odds of them mismanaging us as badly as is required to keep a club as wealthy as us from achieving success over an extended period is slim.

Last edited:

Exactly, because it doesn't matter how much innovation happens in the sport from a procedural basis with structures the game still lives and dies off managers being superior to their counterparts. The changes with Villa / Leverkusen as you highlighted didn't come from their respective owners it came from who they hired to navigate the success of the first team.

A world class hierarchy will not aggrandize mediocre management, United fortunes change when a competent coach is instilled who ticks most boxes.

This graph neatly captures the most fundamental problem we've experienced over the last decade.

Typically wage bills correlate heavily with success in football. The single best predictor of how well a team will do over multiple seasons is how much they spend on wages.

However in our case, we've noticeably underperformed against against our spending, due to horrendous mismanagement of the club. In a way none of our rival PL clubs have.

The point in relation to this thread being that we already have the single biggest factor in determining success on our side, which is the ability to spend. We've just been an outlier in failing to make the most of that advantage. The football equivalent of Sideshow Bob repeatedly walking into rakes.

So when we talk about success in the INEOS era, all that requires is for us to perform to par in terms of return on what we spend. The base level of competence that countless other teams show immediately puts us in line with teams like Chelsea and Liverpool, who each won a PL & CL in the period covered by the graph above.

The details beyond that (i.e. which manager we hire, when we fire the current manager, whether we successfully sign player X, the style of football etc.) are typically less relevant and shorter term concerns. Over a longer period it's as simple as getting the returns expected on the wages we give our players, which primarily comes down to our recruitment process.

Tldr: If we keep spending as much as we have spent, it will be difficult for us not to achieve success under INEOS. Because the odds of them mismanaging us as badly as is required to keep a club as wealthy as us achieving success over an extended period is slim.

I wish I can get my hands on the source data. I enjoyed this post, but it is interesting that they chose to use "expected points" rather than actual points, or position at the end of each season. Not saying the overall point is not valid, but I would just like to see it vs an actual, not another metric like expected points which in itself has its own margin of error.

Far greater things have been done in this world in very limited time.

1. Arsenal fortunes changed drastically when Arteta changed his system to 433. Very simple but effective remedy. Once upon a time, Saka used to be a wingback.

2. Milan & Leverkusen have won league titles, from ashes.

3. City pre Pep, had one title in a range of years. After Pep, they win titles before every other team. It's their's to lose.

4. Madrid Pre 2004, had only reached QF in 2011. Why and they bought huge.. After 2011 they have only once not reached QF. You remember who was Madrid coach in 2011? As you can see you need someone to coach the team to greatness.

Heck even Newcastle and Villa moved from relegation form into top 5 in record time.

Nothing is that hard.

Madrid is ruled by Perez, we don't hear about DoF, Technical Director etc. They win.

Chelsea under Ambramovic, he ruled with iron fist. We didn't hear ooh DoF, Head Recruitment etc having big say.

Under his Rule Chelsea have had 2 UCL titles, while United with United DNA have 3 Titles in its history. Chelsea are just 1 UCL title away from United.

Its not that hard.

Barcelona will win another title before United, while they have had economic meltdown and lost Messi that if we experienced it, probably our club would fold.

Even Liverpool achievements in the last 9 years, is something we can only dream about. Imagine ETH hitting 90 points in a season :lol: :lol:

Something you and me, know it won't happen because ETH is not a good coach.

ETH is Klopp age mate, while he has never played in a UCL Final game in his life. How do you expect such a manager to take us, to that stage?
I really hope you're being facetious. If it where that simple it would have been done.

It's funny you name players like Osimhen, Vini Jr, Camavinga, Davies etc. None of whom were world-class players when they signed for their teams ;)

Right, because the Manchester United way is no longer signing unknowns and turning them into world class players, or developing academy players into world class players. That's the way it used to be but it isn't that way anymore.

When is the last time we signed a young player and he turned into a world class player? Rooney and Ronaldo were the last, and that was a long time ago.

Also, we don't really have the luxury of signing kids and waiting 4 or 5 years for them to develop into stars...every season we miss out on CL is going to put us in a deeper hole, both financially and as far as the ability to attract top talent to the club goes. Next season is going to the be the first time ever we've missed out on Champions League two years in a row; that's really, really bad for us. It needs to be corrected immediately and the only real option is for Ineos to start splashing big money for stars.

All that being said, obviously the rot was deep before they arrived on the scene and we will be paying for the stupidity of the 2023 summer for a long time. If the club had broken the bank for Kane and Rice we would probably not be in the position we're in right now.

Last edited:
Leverkusen in Germany has only 1 team to overcome. It's not really a great comparison for me. Leicester won the league recently as well but I would call that an outlier rather than evidence that things can turn around over night.

I think your misunderstanding me. I'm not talking about the likes of villa getting into top 4 once. I'm talking about united winning the league and challenging season in season out.

We have seen with all the failed managers outside of moyes them all getting top 4 and 3 of the 5 permanent managers won trophies as well.

To do this right and be sustainably top 2/3 every season it's going to take a lot of time and obviously there's still a lot of United fans haven't woke up to this reality yet.

Arsenal also turned things around pretty quickly once they got on the right track. Went from 8th to title challenge within two years, and they had the same teams to overcome as we do.

Truth is we have more resource than pretty much any other team, despite lack of success we still seem to be desirable to many young footballers, we are capable of getting back to the top in 2-3 years with good management.

We spent £600m in three years though and are not really any better than we were then. We are clearly not on the right track.

Arsenal also turned things around pretty quickly once they got on the right track. Went from 8th to title challenge within two years, and they had the same teams to overcome as we do.

How long did it take them to get it right? The same owner took years to get it right.

Yes if we get our magic 8 ball out and get every decision right, then yes it can be done very quickly but it's not likely to happen.

Look I hope you're right and as soon as ETH is sacked United will straight away become a top team and ETH is the sole problem at the club but I sincerely think this is fantasy.

Far greater things have been done in this world in very limited time.

1. Arsenal fortunes changed drastically when Arteta changed his system to 433. Very simple but effective remedy. Once upon a time, Saka used to be a wingback.

2. Milan & Leverkusen have won league titles, from ashes.

3. City pre Pep, had one title in a range of years. After Pep, they win titles before every other team. It's their's to lose.

4. Madrid Pre 2004, had only reached QF in 2011. Why and they bought huge.. After 2011 they have only once not reached QF. You remember who was Madrid coach in 2011? As you can see you need someone to coach the team to greatness.

Heck even Newcastle and Villa moved from relegation form into top 5 in record time.

Nothing is that hard.

Madrid is ruled by Perez, we don't hear about DoF, Technical Director etc. They win.

Chelsea under Ambramovic, he ruled with iron fist. We didn't hear ooh DoF, Head Recruitment etc having big say.

Under his Rule Chelsea have had 2 UCL titles, while United with United DNA have 3 Titles in its history. Chelsea are just 1 UCL title away from United.

Its not that hard.

Barcelona will win another title before United, while they have had economic meltdown and lost Messi that if we experienced it, probably our club would fold.

Even Liverpool achievements in the last 9 years, is something we can only dream about. Imagine ETH hitting 90 points in a season :lol: :lol:

Something you and me, know it won't happen because ETH is not a good coach.

ETH is Klopp age mate, while he has never played in a UCL Final game in his life. How do you expect such a manager to take us, to that stage?

I don't think I've read as much claptrap in my life.

if you think it's that easy good for you. I personally think you live in a fantasy.

Last edited:
How long it could/should take isn't much of a question, as we have ideal points of comparison in Arsenal & Liverpool, who rebuilt in exactly the way we want to.

Starting from Arteta's first full season Arsenal finished 8th > 8th > 5th > 2nd > 2nd. So 3 full seasons, then a title challenge in the 4th.

Starting from the October Klopp took over Liverpool it went 8th > 4th > 4th > 2nd > 1st. So again, 3 seasons and then a title challenge in the 4th.

There's not much reason to think the timeline would be wildly different for us, if we start doing things properly.

Which is why Berrada saying we aim to win the title by the 27/28 season falls slightly on the side of being optimistic. Because if you imagine we brought in our version of Klopp right now, it would be the equivalent of Liverpool winning the title in their very first year challenging rather than in the subsequent year.

And it also relies on the owners not making any of the mistakes Arsenal/Liverpool made before the Arteta and Klopp appointments. And some would no doubt argue that keeping ETH could be one such mistake, costing us this season in terms of progress.

So far INEOS have not instilled a lot of confidence in their ability to turn around this pile of shit Woodward and Murtough have left behind, but it's still very early days so let's hold off judgment until after the end of the next summer transfer window. Right now they need to address the manager situation. And the infrastructure planning issues that the Glazers have ignored for the last 20 years.

How long it could/should take isn't much of a question, as we have ideal points of comparison in Arsenal & Liverpool, who rebuilt in exactly the way we want to.

Starting from Arteta's first full season Arsenal finished 8th > 8th > 5th > 2nd > 2nd. So 3 full seasons, then a title challenge in the 4th.

Starting from the October Klopp took over Liverpool it went 8th > 4th > 4th > 2nd > 1st. So again, 3 seasons and then a title challenge in the 4th.

There's not much reason to think the timeline would be wildly different for us, if we start doing things properly.

Which is why Berrada saying we aim to win the title by the 27/28 season falls slightly on the side of being optimistic. Because if you imagine we brought in our version of Klopp right now, it would be the equivalent of Liverpool winning the title in their very first year challenging rather than in the subsequent year.

And it also relies on the owners not making any of the mistakes Arsenal/Liverpool made before the Arteta and Klopp appointments. And some would no doubt argue that keeping ETH could be one such mistake, costing us this season in terms of progress.
You are counting Klopp’s first season which he took in mid season as a full season. Furthermore, we have quite a bit more resources than Liverpool, which means that our rebuild, should be faster.

Newcastle went within 1 year from nobodies to UCL team.

You are counting Klopp’s first season which he took in mid season as a full season. Furthermore, we have quite a bit more resources than Liverpool, which means that our rebuild, should be faster.

Newcastle went within 1 year from nobodies to UCL team.

Yep, because Klopp took over in October, the same month we're in right now. Whereas Arteta took over in December, closer to the actual mid-point of the season, so I gave him that extra half season's grace.

But if you want to add/subtract that extra time in either direction, feel free. It still leaves us realistically looking at the latter part of this decade for a legit title challenge either way.

Don't think Newcastle are as good a comparison, because while they went from 11th > 4th, they then followed it up by finishing 7th last season and are currently 7th again this season. And their underlying stats have dropped off since the season they finished 4th too. So not exactly the sort of sustained, season-on-season improvement we're hoping for or Arsenal/Liverpool managed.

Edit: I'd also add that while we do have better resources than Liverpool generally, they benefited a lot from being able to sell Coutinho for €135m when they did.

Yep, because Klopp took over in October, the same month we're in right now. Whereas Arteta took over in December, closer to the actual mid-point of the season, so I gave him that extra half season's grace.

But if you want to add/subtract that extra time in either direction, feel free. It still leaves us realistically looking at the latter part of this decade for a legit title challenge either way.

Don't think Newcastle are as good a comparison, because while they went from 11th > 4th, they then followed it up by finishing 7th last season and are currently 7th again this season. And their underlying stats have dropped off since the season they finished 4th too. So not exactly the sort of sustained, season-on-season improvement we're hoping for or Arsenal/Liverpool managed.

Edit: I'd also add that while we do have better resources than Liverpool generally, they benefited a lot from being able to sell Coutinho for €135m when they did.
I think the 135m Coutinho gets slightly overstated. He was their best player so selling your best player always harms your team. Just that they were very good/lucky at those two signings (Alisson and VVD) followed by some spectacular underpriced signings in Salah, Mane, Firminho, Robertson and to a lesser degree Thiago and Jota, with Alexander Arnold coming at age, and Henderson and Milner becoming extremely reliable players.

Still, even with that Coutinho money they spent far less than we did over the same period of time, while having a smaller salary. So if we can get the signings right, and hire the right manager (while firing underperforming ones as soon as possible), we should be able to do a very quick rebuild considering the resources we have. I genuinely think we are a manager away, two attackers/wingers, a midfielder a LB, and a couple of depth players from a team that should be able to challenge. We should be able to do all those signings next summer, so if all done right, there is no reason why we should not be able to compete on 2026-2027 season.

However, if we do these insane decisions on keeping awful managers, whom still are somehow related to transfers, it will likely go far longer without competing. I really think that most of good examples of competing are within 3 years of so of the project, if it goes longer, it probably means that the rebuild was done wrongly.

There are no guarantees in football - or indeed any industry - of success. What Manchester United have lacked over the years is having a structure at the top that was football orientated. We have fallen behind many of our peers in that regard. What has been notable this season is that we haven't spent as much on players and we have been able to negotiate multiple transfers at once. This is an improvement. Similarly, we have brought in some exciting young talent which seems to be a focus for INEOS going forward.

ETH seems a poor appointment. Perhaps our next head coach will also be poor - or not - nobody has a crystal ball with these things. If however we do.our due diligence and have a plan for.success then we can become challengers again. I'm optimistic bur it takes time.

I don't think I've read as much claptrap in my life.

if you think it's that easy good for you. I personally think you live in a fantasy.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Instead of pointing out what is wrong in my post, you talk claptrap.

Also, if you think it's hard, good for you.

Tldr: If we keep spending as much as we have spent, it will be difficult for us not to achieve success under INEOS. Because the odds of them mismanaging us as badly as is required to keep a club as wealthy as us from achieving success over an extended period is slim.
The problem is the big financial advantage we had over the rest during that time (2015-2023) has completely gone. They've wasted it on dross and are now making big financial losses every year. It's a long way back now.

If ten hag stays then the season is a write off
it really is. There is plenty of time to course correct, but our new ‘expert, best in class’ leadership team are happy to write off the whole season by backing this incompetent idiot.

Looks like JR’s investment to win the Americas Cup is money down the drain. Maybe, on the back of that, tomorrow will be the day he thinks enough is enough and gives Ten Hag the chop.

What this chart tells me about City is that, as expected, they're not accurately representing their player wages.

I knew they were idiots, and i thought they will change my mind with ETH decision during the break. They went on and cancelled SAFs role. Feck this

What this chart tells me about City is that, as expected, they're not accurately representing their player wages.

Ding ding.

Why on earth would we trust their reported wages, knowing what we know about their shadowy dealings?

Would love to know where they really are on that graph.

I expect nothing from ratcliffe and brailsford, their records in sports arent pretty but i still have high hopes on trio of berrada, ashworth, and wilcox. And if im not mistaken the decision to extend ten hag's contract last summer came from ratcliffe and brailsford with wilcox the only voice against it. So there we have competent football people as long as INEOS stay away from day to day business.

I knew they were idiots, and i thought they will change my mind with ETH decision during the break. They went on and cancelled SAFs role. Feck this
Ya, that is an insane decision. This group seems tone deaf, this was one of the worst weeks to even entertain that move.

Well, are they considering the off-shore wage bill of City as well ? They are where they should be if we take in account the off the book money.
Well, they have the best manager in the world as well, being paid much more then what the books tell, that helps.