Are Bruno and Rashford a problem?

Rashford was probably better than Garnacho until the sub today, but so many sections of the fanbase have decided he’s the problem that he’ll never get another chance from them.

Bruno is simultaneously the most important player we have and seemingly incompatible with the type of football ten Hag seems to want to play.
Bruno is incompatible with any type of football a big club would want to play. He has been an integral part of these beatings for 4 years now.

Bruno not good enough to build a team around to accommodate his flaws but too good to drop completely until we have a replacement.

Honestly can’t wait till he is moved on so we can start to build a serious team.

Pair of them were laughable today. In terms of helping and supporting young players. This is where you’d hope players like Bruno and Rashford show some leadership skills.
Mainoo and Collyer were dying out there and not once did I see Bruno or Rashford try and get closer to them on the pitch to give them an option and take the burden or have a conversation. Instead they hid away behind Liverpool players.

Rashford was probably better than Garnacho until the sub today, but so many sections of the fanbase have decided he’s the problem that he’ll never get another chance from them.

Bruno is simultaneously the most important player we have and seemingly incompatible with the type of football ten Hag seems to want to play.
I agree with you re: Rashford being better than Garnacho today, on account for nearly getting an assist.

But I’m intrigued to find out what you think he’s done that deserves getting another chance from the fan base?

Rashford was alright today, created two of our best chances. Low bar though.

Bruno put in the typical performance he does in games like today, if it gets away from us, he's gone. It's just how he is. He's so painful to watch on days like today.

Bruno is the biggest problem in the team. He can even be the biggest problem while simultaneously being the ‘best’ player.

You can't play possession football with Fernandez, you can put him on a top counter attacking team but nothing else at the highest level.

Fine player. Poison for a top team trying to control play.

Bruno not good enough to build a team around to accommodate his flaws but too good to drop completely until we have a replacement.

Honestly can’t wait till he is moved on so we can start to build a serious team.

Maybe you are right. I hate that you are but yeah. This shouldn’t be so hard. He’s our best player too.

Anybody who was not in denial knew, before June, that Rashford was finished and needed to be kicked out

Bruno is not a problem, midfield around him is and Bruno himself needs competition, instead of being a guaranteed started regardless of how he plays. There was only one player who deserved to always start during his career, and his name was Messi, everybody else gets ruined with such treatment

Bruno is incredibly frustrating to watch. Such a bizarre player. Can pull something top drawer out of the bag, but his consistency is truly woeful. A considerably larger number of poor performances and misplaced passes are under his belt. That being said however, our tactics are absolutely dreadful and don't work. I don't know how many times ETH plans to keep doing the same thing before somebody stops him. It's almost as if his tactics come off every now and again against strong teams, and he's resting on those few and far between laurels.

Our delusional fanbase actually considered these two world class players. Some still believe Bruno is. Appalling standards.
That pretty much says it all. Not sure why the expectation level has dropped, but some will accept mediocrity, paint it with a brush and call it world class!

Bruno is incredibly frustrating to watch. Such a bizarre player. Can pull something top drawer out of the bag, but his consistency is truly woeful. A considerably larger number of poor performances and misplaced passes are under his belt. That being said however, our tactics are absolutely dreadful and don't work. I don't know how many times ETH plans to keep doing the same thing before somebody stops him. It's almost as if his tactics come off every now and again against strong teams, and he's resting on those few and far between laurels.
I think the problem is, when he was at Ajax, they basically had if not the best squad close to the best. The quality of player they had could make up for mistakes and the lack of quality they played against meant they didn't pay for them. Move to the EPL where the level of play is that much harder you get punished for errors. ETH has not learned that. They have defenders moving way to far up the pitch and getting caught continually. Not sure if it is discipline or tactics, but something is a foul. You would think at some point he would review and change it up. If he doesn't figure out something soon, he can go elsewhere and win whatever cups he thinks he is going to win, cause bottom line, it ain't working!

Pair of them were laughable today. In terms of helping and supporting young players. This is where you’d hope players like Bruno and Rashford show some leadership skills.
Mainoo and Collyer were dying out there and not once did I see Bruno or Rashford try and get closer to them on the pitch to give them an option and take the burden or have a conversation. Instead they hid away behind Liverpool players.

Observed this too. United need a clean break from these two, include Maguire as well. Move them on before their loser mentality rubs off the new and young players. Worried for Mainoo already.

Rashford is even more infuriating live than on TV. When United are out of possession he makes token gesture after token gesture to win the ball back. Never actually makes a tackle and then throws his hands in the air.

Fans have lots of patience for Garnacho since he's young but Rashford is 27 and earning 300k a week. More than Kudus/Kvarat combined.

Observed this too. United need a clean break from these two, include Maguire as well. Move them on before their loser mentality rubs off the new and young players. Worried for Mainoo already.
yup. The petulance and caving in mentality that those two show during these beatings aren’t good for Kobbie. Hoping once Ugarte comes in Kobbie will at least be alongside a player who seems to have his head screwed on.

No two players can ever be the problem(s). It's clear that post Fergie none of our players have looked capable of reaching their full potential on a consistent basis.

We could have had prime Scholes and Ronaldo instead of Fernandes and Rashford yesterday and very little would have changed.

We've binned off all the "problem" players from the last 6/7 years. Lukaku, Sanchez, Pogba, Lingard, Martial etc and the same issues keep cropping up. I'm not having that this is solely down to Rashford and Fernandes.

In the pub yesterday, someone went ballistic at the screen when Garnacho went off instead of Rashford but did Garnacho do enough to stay on? But then, how long before this clearly talented player is also a problem.

And, even if Rashford/Bruno were sold in the summer, who are we bringing in? Rashford's good/great seasons are on another planet to every other winger we've had post Fergie. Its clear that there's no guaranteed success. If you were a promising young attacking player, why would you come to OT?

In the last 10 years, we've done the:
Academy/young player route - Januzaj, Elanga, Pellestri, Amad, Garnacho

We've gone down the route of signing talented players with good potential for big is money - Martial, Depay, Mkhitaryan, Antony, Sancho

We've also had the supposedly World class players in their prime lads in - Di Maria, Sanchez

That's just the wide players. You could also throw in the likes of Pogba and Mata who for all their obvious talent never "clicked" often enough.

The vast majority of the players mentioned above were complete failures. But at what point though, does it stop being the players that are the problems.

I've been saying for the last 2 seasons that Bruno is majorly overhyped.

The new contract seems bizarre. He's been the only real constant in this team for 4 seasons yet his consistency has got worse and worse.

In his first season - he led by example - produced moments of real quality that others didn't seem capable of. He lifted his performance which in turn elevated other players. He hasn't done that for the past 2 seasons.

He's gone from a hard working machine who provides a creative spark to what we see today - sloppy, lazy with the ball and full of negative body language.

And we've made him our un-droppable captain. The contract and captaincy is a big error. He's a terrible choice of captain.

Rashford is Rashford - i've given up all hope of him being a consistent, reliable attacking threat. His highs and lows are well documented. But he will always have more lows than highs. We cannot progress with him being such a presence in the starting 11. We just cant.

What's painfully obvious with Rashford is he hasn't played with any confidence for so long. He looks a shell of the player he could be.

Both provide more debate than any of our players, bar perhaps Casemiro. Both seem certain to start games regardless of performance

The leadership on this team has been missing for a decade. This is part of the problem. Name a player who takes the game by the throat and says damn if we are not going to win? Then expects that from every other player? As someone on here said, there are different ways of leading, Bruno does not lead, he follows.

Bruno is a weak captain and it shows, all the last minute losses.

Yesterday was really bad from him, I really think his positional play is very bad. He isn't strong enough on the ball.

Last season I was saying that Mason was here to phase Bruno out and that is still my hope.

Rashford got to the byline a couple of times in the Liverpool game - I'd love to see that more.

Rashford is even more infuriating live than on TV. When United are out of possession he makes token gesture after token gesture to win the ball back. Never actually makes a tackle and then throws his hands in the air.

Fans have lots of patience for Garnacho since he's young but Rashford is 27 and earning 300k a week. More than Kudus/Kvarat combined.
That is contagious and cancerous. That needs to be cut out before it taints the entire team.

No two players can ever be the problem(s). It's clear that post Fergie none of our players have looked capable of reaching their full potential on a consistent basis.

We could have had prime Scholes and Ronaldo instead of Fernandes and Rashford yesterday and very little would have changed.

We've binned off all the "problem" players from the last 6/7 years. Lukaku, Sanchez, Pogba, Lingard, Martial etc and the same issues keep cropping up. I'm not having that this is solely down to Rashford and Fernandes.

In the pub yesterday, someone went ballistic at the screen when Garnacho went off instead of Rashford but did Garnacho do enough to stay on? But then, how long before this clearly talented player is also a problem.

And, even if Rashford/Bruno were sold in the summer, who are we bringing in? Rashford's good/great seasons are on another planet to every other winger we've had post Fergie. Its clear that there's no guaranteed success. If you were a promising young attacking player, why would you come to OT?

In the last 10 years, we've done the:
Academy/young player route - Januzaj, Elanga, Pellestri, Amad, Garnacho

We've gone down the route of signing talented players with good potential for big is money - Martial, Depay, Mkhitaryan, Antony, Sancho

We've also had the supposedly World class players in their prime lads in - Di Maria, Sanchez

That's just the wide players. You could also throw in the likes of Pogba and Mata who for all their obvious talent never "clicked" often enough.

The vast majority of the players mentioned above were complete failures. But at what point though, does it stop being the players that are the problems.
A huge amount would have changed, at the very least Scholes would have been in midfield, he would have been an option.

Bruno doesn’t work unless you have 2 defensive minded midfielders behind him. Casemiro and Mainoo need to stop bombing forward and cover the space behind Bruno.

Noticed it in the FA Cup semi last season, but Bruno far too often looks for the pass to Rashford rather than other options. It's something a half decent manager would pull him up on, hopefully when we get one things might change.

Imagine Arsenal if they stuck with Aubameyang and Lacazette, that’s exactly what we are with Bruno and Rashford.

They got us as far as they can two seasons ago yet both have new contracts and are on the books for the next 3/4 years.

The leadership on this team has been missing for a decade. This is part of the problem. Name a player who takes the game by the throat and says damn if we are not going to win? Then expects that from every other player? As someone on here said, there are different ways of leading, Bruno does not lead, he follows.
The problem is, being the captain, the team does follow him - the good parts and the overwhelmingly bad parts as well.

We won't know until we have a competent manager in-charge.

The problem at the moment is not individuals, it's the system(s)
You're right, giving these two players the roles and responsibilities that they're incapable of performing, is solely on the manager. And they're duly sinking him.

Bruno just suffering from new contract syndrome, same as Rashford.

But the sly smile when subbed last week was very telling. Think the players will start downing tools after the break

Bruno was a disaster today, Rashford is bereft of confidence but he's kept it simple and the play ticking over.

Lost count how many times today the attack failed due to Fernandes Hollywood pass attempts.

If United get a half competent manager in, Bruno's period of being the talisman is over. It's not a surprise that he's never featured in a United which have a balance midfield.

It’s not just the Hollywood balls for me, I feel a lot of the time he’ll make an “accurate” pass to another player but it’s a yard or two behind where it needs to be, by the time the receiving player has adjusted their run, the momentum has been sucked out of the attack. It’ll go down as an accurate pass on his stats, but it wasn’t really.

And then a couple of times a game, he’ll play an absolute defence shredding peach of a pass, which is largely something none of our other players seem capable of.

It’ll take a confident manager willing to sacrifice that, for a more consistent style of play to emerge. Bruno papers over some very large structural cracks for us.

I don't think this is a problem that falls at the feet of individual players, but I personally think Rashford isn't going to get any better, on an individual level.

Fernandes is arguably our best player, but he isn't playing well of late, and can't pull the strings like you'd expect him to in a team that has a losers mentality and isn't coached by a manager who can instil a vision and sell it to the team.

Our system is unclear to me. You can analyse it all you want, but we have players on paper who have real talent, and either the players are broken, or the manager can't coach them cohesively enough to get a tune out of them on a regular basis. The rot has set in with this manager.

I think it's so clear Rashford is a problem there is literally no point in discussing it. Bruno on the other hand I've been worried about for the last few years. The way he plays the game doesn't seem to suit a team that can win the league, constantly trying low percentage Hollywood passes, rarely pulling it off and turning over possession constantly.

Basically I think the existence of Bruno and Rashford has triggered this decision to push to this so called 'transitional' style of play, and i just don't think we can win the league with it, even if we did have a competent manager.

We could find out if our incompetent manager would bench them for 2-3 games and see the outcome for himself.
You don't have to be a genius to try and change things.
It's not an argument in defence of the individuals necessarily. I rate Bruno, I don't rate Rashford, but that's not the point.

My point is that our system is so ludicrously flawed that it renders analysing any individuals entirely pointless.

Its like trying to assess a sprinter who's coach is demanding they run backwards, a rugby team who've been instructed not to use their hands or a golfer who's playing with an umbrella.