Television Anyone recommend me any TV Shows?

Ah Suits could be a good suggestion, I've been told about it quite a bit and heard some good stuff.

Spartacus no, I haven't! Is it really good?

Hannibal: I watched about half of the season and really enjoyed it. I haven't caught up with it because we went on holiday at some point in the middle and didn't bother catching up with it (same with American Horror Story, Walking Dead and others, just got a bit behind with them and now it seems like too much of a mountain to climb! :lol:) I thought Mads Mikkelsen was fantastic in a very low key, yet different to Hopkins, approach to the character, and the guy playing Will was very good as well, although the mental aspects of the character are sometimes a bit over the top for me. It's also surprisingly gruesome for a network show, a lot of moments of gore. It's one I'll definitely catch up with at some point.

Right, I need your help. I've just finished The West Wing, which I adored to bits.

I'm now looking for a new show to watch: on my way to work, I have a 20 minute metro ride, which was perfect for watching series on my phone, either a 20 minutes sitcom, either half of a 40 minute episode.

I enjoy political series, I've seen House of Cards, West Wing and In the loop and loved them all. I like drama as well, but also sitcoms (AD, Parks & Rec, Community when it was good...). I'm maybe a bit fussy but I'm willing to give most shows a try. If it could be something more 'male-oriented' that would be great as it's a show that I'll be watching on my own, so not something I could watch with Ms. RiP.

I've seen a lot of shows, amongst the ones considered 'great' there's Sopranos I haven't yet seen but that's on the bucket list and I'll watch it with the missus.

Any suggestions?
Spartacus, Rome, Deadwood, Suits, Carnivale.

Comedy wise, The US Office is supreme for the first few seasons (2-5).

Oh you've seen American Horror Story, haven't you? Just finished S2, really enjoying it, it's bleedin' sick!

Ah Suits could be a good suggestion, I've been told about it quite a bit and heard some good stuff.

Hannibal: I watched about half of the season and really enjoyed it. I haven't caught up with it because we went on holiday at some point in the middle and didn't bother catching up with it (same with American Horror Story, Walking Dead and others, just got a bit behind with them and now it seems like too much of a mountain to climb! :lol:) I thought Mads Mikkelsen was fantastic in a very low key, yet different to Hopkins, approach to the character, and the guy playing Will was very good as well, although the mental aspects of the character are sometimes a bit over the top for me. It's also surprisingly gruesome for a network show, a lot of moments of gore. It's one I'll definitely catch up with at some point.

Spartacus was the best series I have ever seen to date, head and shoulders, watch it right now.

Suits season 1 was brilliant, I particularly like litigation and the loop-holes and can find some of the cases interesting, which is why at the end of sesason 3 I can still enjoy it as much, but the storyline does go down slightly IMO, but still very much worth watching,..

I stopped watching Walking Dead too, but was told this season that the Zombies are supposed to get deadlier.. (Hardly conceivable they could become less though is it?) And I'm surprised, I watched the first episode and it seemed slow, but if it's just building I may give that another chance then...

Another one I'm looking into these at the moment:

Sleepy Hollow (Based on the old Depp film)
Da Vinci's Demons
Brooklyn Nine-Nine
House of Cards/ West Wing (Due to your recommendation)
Black Sails
Vikings
Arrow
Walking with Dinosaurs (New Film actually I think)
US Office
Hannibal (Again due to you)
Ripper Street
I, Frankenstein
BBC's Atlantis

Spartacus, Rome, Deadwood, Suits, Carnivale.

Comedy wise, The US Office is supreme for the first few seasons (2-5).

Oh you've seen American Horror Story, haven't you? Just finished S2, really enjoying it, it's bleedin' sick!
Cheers Cina.

Of those cited, I've seen Rome and The Office. Enjoyed them both in their respective genres. Office would've been perfect for the morning rides to work actually!

Gonna like into Spartacus and Suits as they've come up twice in two posts already.

AHS yeah I've watched it! I loved season 1, thought 2 was good in a really twisted way (a lot of fecked up plotlines, and very messy at times, but there's something about it that makes it weirdly enjoyable) and am in the middle of season 3. I think season 3 is my favourite so far, the moments with Bates and Lange facing off are fantastic! The plot is also tighter than in season 2, not as chaotic, and I really like the setting (New Orleans).

Cheers Cina.

Of those cited, I've seen Rome and The Office. Enjoyed them both in their respective genres. Office would've been perfect for the morning rides to work actually!

Gonna like into Spartacus and Suits as they've come up twice in two posts already.

AHS yeah I've watched it! I loved season 1, thought 2 was good in a really twisted way (a lot of fecked up plotlines, and very messy at times, but there's something about it that makes it weirdly enjoyable) and am in the middle of season 3. I think season 3 is my favourite so far, the moments with Bates and Lange facing off are fantastic! The plot is also tighter than in season 2, not as chaotic, and I really like the setting (New Orleans).
Haven't seen S3 yet, Jessica Lange is great in it though.

Spartacus is very good. There's also a prequel but don't watch it before S1. order should be S1, Gods of the arena, S2, S3. S1 and S3 are the best, prequel is great, S2 is ok.

Be warned though, it's full of fanny and gore, like, completely full of it, beyond any other show, in case you're thinking of watching it on the way to work.

Oh, speaking of tits and gore, Banshee is good too.

Be warned though, it's full of fanny and gore, like, completely full of it, beyond any other show, in case you're thinking of watching it on the way to work.
Ah I was going to ask about this, I will indeed be watching it in the metro, with people that often peak into what I'm watching. I'll have to consider this factor! :lol:

Ah I was going to ask about this, I will indeed be watching it in the metro, with people that often peak into what I'm watching. I'll have to consider this factor! :lol:
Pah, it's France though, you guys love that shit.

I love when I see a French actress on an American film/show, I instantly know I can look her up on google and find her totally naked in some French films, like that lovely girl from AHS, Lizzie Brocherie!

I love when I see a French actress on an American film/show, I instantly know I can look her up on google and find her totally naked in some French films, like that lovely girl from AHS, Lizzie Brocherie!
Yeah I know, it's terrible, they just can't help taking all their clothes off. Terrible.

Clémence Poésy from In Bruges led me down a similar path recently. Gotta love the French girls!

Parks and Recreation is from the writers of US Office. It's similar; mockumentary style comedy based on the Parks and Rec dept. of a fictional town. You aren't so attached to the story lines than The Office but it offers a broader range of hilarious characters and is full of great moments. It's comparable to the Simpsons in terms of a town full of different characters who are not only hilariously but fledged out well and consistent.

Suits is great fun, an easy watch and very entertaining.

You're watching it, too? I've been counting down the days... the break has been awful. Started off so well and then it just fecked off for a month. :mad:

Yeah dude, it's good fun. I only bothered trying it out because of the connection to Back to the Future which is a brilliant film. That's what perked my interest anyway, simply being called 'Rick and Morty'.

I made a thread a while back for it but it didn't get much attention.

Parks and Recreation is from the writers of US Office. It's similar; mockumentary style comedy based on the Parks and Rec dept. of a fictional town. You aren't so attached to the story lines than The Office but it offers a broader range of hilarious characters and is full of great moments. It's comparable to the Simpsons in terms of a town full of different characters who are not only hilariously but fledged out well and consistent.

Suits is great fun, an easy watch and very entertaining.
Ah I've seen Parks & Rec, big fan of it.

Suits keeps coming up, I'm going to look into it.

Can't go wrong with Peep Show.

If not that, go for Spaced RiP (written by Simon Pegg). 14 episodes at 20 minutes each and some of the humour in it is genius.

Yeah dude, it's good fun. I only bothered trying it out because of the connection to Back to the Future which is a brilliant film. That's what perked my interest anyway, simply being called 'Rick and Morty'.

I made a thread a while back for it but it didn't get much attention.

Only really came across it when I was trying to find another Archer. Glad I did now because it's got a lot of potential. Rick's great. :D

Yeah, I agree.. Peep Show is probably the best comedy to come out of the UK in the last 10 years. I think a lot of people have caught random moments of it though, and found the camera awkward without giving it a chance, and probably misunderstood the humour as a result of not knowing the characters. Everybody should atleast watch the first episode in full before writing it off.

On another note, has anybody checked out Helix yet?

Apparently it's good. Gonna check it out along with True Detective over the weekend.

Spartacus is up there with game of thrones as the best shows, maybe not as good IMO, more exciting then breakig bad although completely different genre obviously. Suits is an excellent show as well, some of the women on that show are just :drool:
Definitely suggest you watch them though, first of all GoT if you haven't yet. Suits doesn't start again until march I think, so you have time to catch up with that, whereas Spartacus is all done.

I'm giving Suits a go at the moment, I have to say I'm not entirely convinced after about 5 episodes. The show should basically just be called 'Deus ex machina' because that's how every episode is shaping up so far, and when you actually work in law, you know that no cases really resolve themselves like that. It's a bit frustrating on that front, I don't think it's that well written and I'm trying to look at it from a purely fun and entertainment angle, but even there I think it falls short: it's not that funny, the acting is a bit hammy (the guy playing Harvey is awful in my opinion) and it tries too hard to be slick and clever.

Does it get a bit more subtle as it goes on or if am I a lost cause if I'm not enjoying by now?

I'm also about 5 or 6 episodes in and finding the same problems you are. I'm struggling to actually like these characters as well. It's a bit forced & shallow.

Have to agree. Watched a few episodes not long ago and suspicions were confirmed about dull/cliche characters. I'm sure it gets a lot better so I'll try again at some point.

On another note, finally started Parks and Recreation the other day after leaving off for a while and I love it. Not quite as funny as Peep Show and not as clever as AD but everything about it makes me happy. :D

It's ok guys, you don't like Suits. It's cool. It just means that you're a lost cause in society and basically useless to the rest of us.

Parks and Rec is awesome! Where abouts are you up to KingEric? Season 1 isn't great but I imagine you're past that!
I'm not sure there's a show with as many fully fledged out characters who are hilarious yet consistent except perhaps the Simpsons.

I've just started on the West Wing. Heard so many good things it had to be done!
I just finished it, I loved it to bits. It's an excellent show, you're in for so many great moments. Enjoy! Stay out of the dedicated thread though, there's a few spoilers in there.
It's ok guys, you don't like Suits. It's cool. It just means that you're a lost cause in society and basically useless to the rest of us.
:lol:

Parks and Rec is awesome! Where abouts are you up to KingEric? Season 1 isn't great but I imagine you're past that!
I'm not sure there's a show with as many fully fledged out characters who are hilarious yet consistent except perhaps the Simpsons.

Last one I watched was the possum episode at the end of season 2. I had to basically force myself to stop watching after that because I'd watched so many in a row. :D

Tough to pick a favourite character; you're right - they're all good. I'm thinking it's Leslie at the moment (just...), but feck me it's close between her, Andy and Ron Swanson. Basically everything they say is funny.

*Tom Haverford looked freakishly like Anderson during the Halloween episode!

I really enjoyed season 2, but season 3 is where it's at! Season 4 and 5 are good too, so you've got plenty of laughs ahead. Ron is my favourite character, I'm forever quoting him. Tho they're all pretty awesome. Ann is the least interesting, but I guess it was good having a sane character to tie them together.

Are you a fan of the US Office?

I really enjoyed season 2, but season 3 is where it's at! Season 4 and 5 are good too, so you've got plenty of laughs ahead. Ron is my favourite character, I'm forever quoting him. Tho they're all pretty awesome. Ann is the least interesting, but I guess it was good having a sane character to tie them together.

Are you a fan of the US Office?

Good to hear. The cast on this are rivalling the Jez, Mark, Super Hans and Johnson quartet so far, so I'll be impressed if they keep that up for 80 more episodes!

I've not watched the US Office but really liked the UK one so will give that a try at some point. This bit absolutely slaughtered me in the original:

That must've taken so many attempts to do in one shot like that. :lol:

I just finished it, I loved it to bits. It's an excellent show, you're in for so many great moments. Enjoy! Stay out of the dedicated thread though, there's a few spoilers in there.

Cheers. I'm only a few episodes in but surprised at how light hearted it is at times and wasn't expecting a comedy element. But having just watched House of Cards may have had an influence on me. Getting used to watching someone as sly as Spacey, then going straight onto the West Wing and they're all laughing and joking, best mates playing basketball. Will take a slight adjustment.

Oh indeed going in after House of Cards is quite of a leap, the two shows are very different. The overall tone of The West Wing is definitely not as dark as House of Cards (whose premise is basically that you have to be corrupt to succeed, really, The West Wing has a more positive approach I'd say) and the humour stays a major part of the show during the 7 seasons, but you get your fair share of moving moments and more pessismistic storylines. But it's definitely not as 'doom and gloom' as HoC.

Good to hear. The cast on this are rivalling the Jez, Mark, Super Hans and Johnson quartet so far, so I'll be impressed if they keep that up for 80 more episodes!

I've not watched the US Office but really liked the UK one so will give that a try at some point. This bit absolutely slaughtered me in the original:

The thing is, Parks and Rec builds up a town of characters you could recognize through their dialogue alone. You don't delve as deep into the characters as you do Mark and Jeremy on Peep Show but you meet more recurring characters with actual personality instead.

UK Office is different. Shorter, more grounded, just more British. It really did a great job of portraying a fairly typical office in the UK while managing to be hilarious. Due to the nature of it's audience (you know.. Americans) and the fact that each season has a ton more episodes then the US definitely has more room to delve into storylines and build up character humour which wasn't as easily done in the UK one. As a result the characters are less believable and towards the end almost become caricatures of themselves which is a shame.

For 3/4 seasons though it's some of the best comedy I've seen - incredibly entertaining and tons of laughs. I recommend it for sure, though like Parks and Rec the first season is something you just have to 'get past'.

And yeah, that bit was fecking hilarious. I don't think the word 'minge' has ever been used so perfectly. :lol:

Season 1 of the US Office is basically just using American actors to recreate the UK version.

From season 2 it becomes its own show, and up to about Season 5 or 6 (can't remember which) it is genuinely hilarious.

Tails off pretty quick though, I gave up on it well before the end.

Season 1 of the US Office is basically just using American actors to recreate the UK version.

From season 2 it becomes its own show, and up to about Season 5 or 6 (can't remember which) it is genuinely hilarious.

Tails off pretty quick though, I gave up on it well before the end.
It slightly picked up before the end, which was nice, but there were about 2 seasons at one point that were really dreadful (Catherine Tate, blurgh) and another or 2 with were mediocre (without being shit). It's a shame they didn't stop early, they tainted its reputation somewhat but I'd still consider it as a comedy classic, just because of the levels some of its seasons reached.

Spartacus was the best series I have ever seen to date, head and shoulders, watch it right now.

Suits season 1 was brilliant, I particularly like litigation and the loop-holes and can find some of the cases interesting, which is why at the end of sesason 3 I can still enjoy it as much, but the storyline does go down slightly IMO, but still very much worth watching,..

I stopped watching Walking Dead too, but was told this season that the Zombies are supposed to get deadlier.. (Hardly conceivable they could become less though is it?) And I'm surprised, I watched the first episode and it seemed slow, but if it's just building I may give that another chance then...

Another one I'm looking into these at the moment:

Sleepy Hollow (Based on the old Depp film)
Da Vinci's Demons
Brooklyn Nine-Nine
House of Cards/ West Wing (Due to your recommendation)
Black Sails
Vikings
Arrow
Walking with Dinosaurs (New Film actually I think)
US Office
Hannibal (Again due to you)
Ripper Street
I, Frankenstein
BBC's Atlantis

The West Wing is literaly miles better than anything else listed above. A few of which I wouldnt rate at all (Arrow is shocking).

Im presuming you've seen The Wire and The Sopranos so a few other suggestions couple are a bit obvious but all are miles better than most of the current shows, must see's if you havent already....(im a hbo fanboi at this stage it must be said).

Generation Kill
Deadwood
The Shield
The Fall
Love/Hate
The Pacific
Six Feet Under
Oz

It slightly picked up before the end, which was nice, but there were about 2 seasons at one point that were really dreadful (Catherine Tate, blurgh) and another or 2 with were mediocre (without being shit). It's a shame they didn't stop early, they tainted its reputation somewhat but I'd still consider it as a comedy classic, just because of the levels some of its seasons reached.

Catherine Tate was the "right, I'm done with this" point for me.

Will Ferrell almost made me turn off, but thankfully he wasn't in it long.

Catherine Tate was the "right, I'm done with this" point for me.

Will Ferrell almost made me turn off, but thankfully he wasn't in it long.
I love Will Ferrell but even I'll admit he was ill suited for The Office. The US version had a whacky side to it with characters like Dwight and Michael, but it still remained believable in a certain sense. It was a sitcom, so when you actually looked at the situations yeah it was too much, but still it was grounded in reality with a lot of fairly common characters. D'Angelo (if that's what Will Ferrell's character was called, I think) was just too cartoonish and didn't work at all. However, his first scene when he's meeting Michael was excellent!

Catherine Tate was just awful, unfunny and awful. At to make things worse, it seems like she was in the show for ages (which she probably was). The elevation of Andy as the boss was also dreadful, a complete miss, and the writers slowly made him into a horrible person as the seasons went on, before more or less writing him off for half a season, for no real reason (I guess the actor was busy elsewhere doing The Hangover 47 'this time we get drunk in Buenos Aires').