Television Anyone recommend me any TV Shows?

Started watching “Eric” on Netflix. Set in 80s NYC. Benedick Cumbersnatch plays an alcoholic puppeteer, whose kid goes missing. I’ll not give any more of the plot but it’s really very good

yeah but if we all enjoyed than same thing, life would be a tad sad.
I like a lot of things that most would not watch, This weekend I have watched Sugar and Elsbeth and enjoyed them both , I would gibe both a solid 8/10, but I can see why the twist in Sugar would not be acceptable to some.
Totally unwatchable is a tad strong dont you think ?
Sorry I haven't seen Sugar, I was speaking on a general level.

Of course everyone has their own taste but I see "great" and "top quality" thrown around only to find out the series in question are just plain corny and silly.

For example Breaking Bad, most people have it on their all time top 5 list but it has so many stupid scenes and implausible scripting I had a really hard time finishing it. If I hadn't been watching it with my kids who love it I would have stopped half way thru the first season. Which I actually did on the first watch.

Started watching “Eric” on Netflix. Set in 80s NYC. Benedick Cumbersnatch plays an alcoholic puppeteer, whose kid goes missing. I’ll not give any more of the plot but it’s really very good
Yeah I agree, I recommended this earlier. Dark tone but still kind of a "easy-watch". The production is top quality.

For example Breaking Bad, most people have it on their all time top 5 list but it has so many stupid scenes and implausible scripting I had a really hard time finishing it. If I hadn't been watching it with my kids who love it I would have stopped half way thru the first season. Which I actually did on the first watch.
Breaking Bad was utterly brilliant and the darkly comedic bits made it even better. It wasn't meant to be a documentary about a meth lab. GOTs had dragons. Tony Soprano would have been in prison well before the end. And 24 was a great fun ride while also being utterly implausible. Personally it is only where the inherent logic that a series relies on isn't adhered to, or sometimes if the plot is badly researched and easily researched details are forgotten and replaced by bollocks that I tend to dislike things. And when it stars people I can't stand of course. As you say, we all have preferences and judge some things more harshly than others e.g. I start from the premise that superhero = utter bollocks.

Last edited:
I’m gonna give Time Bandits a recommend. It’s got Taiki Waititi’s hands all over it so go in expecting his sense of humour. Which I’ll admit has always worked for me. Lisa Kudrow is the star of the show, reminding us she still has great comic timing but all the cast are very watchable. The whole premise works really well in an episodic format, as they jump from era to era, place to place with Apple’s filthy riches well spent on some solid CGI and set design. Some Monty Python vibes too. One to watch and enjoy with your kids.

I’m gonna give Time Bandits a recommend. It’s got Taiki Waititi’s hands all over it so go in expecting his sense of humour. Which I’ll admit has always worked for me. Lisa Kudrow is the star of the show, reminding us she still has great comic timing but all the cast are very watchable. The whole premise works really well in an episodic format, as they jump from era to era, place to place with Apple’s filthy riches well spent on some solid CGI and set design. Some Monty Python vibes too. One to watch and enjoy with your kids.
Nice for us infertile ones.

Nice for us infertile ones.

You can borrow mine, if you want? Kids, not gonads.

I reckon it would be a good watch, kids or no kids. Just threw in that last line because most kids Tv shows are dire. So it’s rare enough to find one everyone will enjoy as much as each other. Probably older kids mainly, some quite scary/intense moments. I would definitely have enjoyed this in my pre kids life. Maybe even more, as I would definitely be very stoned watching it.

I don't think Breaking Bad was ever meant to be realistic anyway, I mean the whole concept in itself is absolutely ludicrous, that this insanely intelligent man somehow ended up as a chemistry teacher and then built a fecking meth empire with the help of a chicken franchise owner and a junkie!

What it does do incredibly well I think is the complex family relationship they have and the struggles of a dying man to provide for his family whilst balancing his morals.

It's basically meant to be the ultimate modern spaghetti western, or at least that's how I saw it, and they did a great job of it.

Breaking Bad was utterly brilliant and the darkly comedic bits made it even better. It wasn't meant to be a documentary about a meth lab. GOTs had dragons. Tony Soprano would have been in prison well before the end. And 24 was a great fun ride while also being utterly implausible. Personally it is only where the inherent logic that a series relies on isn't adhered to, or sometimes if the plot is badly researched and easily researched details are forgotten and replaced by bollocks that I tend to dislike things. And when it stars people I can't stand of course. As you say, we all have preferences and judge some things more harshly than others e.g. I start from the premise that superhero = utter bollocks.
Agree 100% with the bolded part. Actually that bodes well with BB, they go thru crazy stuff to get their product distriibuted, killing off high level drug bosses or something and then later on they can just walk up on a corner and start selling without anyone interfering.

Whilst simultaneously having his mind blown by people not massively liking Stranger Things.
Must have mixed me with someone else? First seasons are great, the latest one laughably bad so it's the other way around. People who think luring Crash Bandicoot bats by playing electric quitar on a mobile home roof is good tv are simply in the wrong.

And The Leftovers is just bad.

Love hate is on itvx to stream. Highly recommend if any of our British brothers haven't seen it yet

I don't think Breaking Bad was ever meant to be realistic anyway, I mean the whole concept in itself is absolutely ludicrous, that this insanely intelligent man somehow ended up as a chemistry teacher and then built a fecking meth empire with the help of a chicken franchise owner and a junkie!

What it does do incredibly well I think is the complex family relationship they have and the struggles of a dying man to provide for his family whilst balancing his morals.

It's basically meant to be the ultimate modern spaghetti western, or at least that's how I saw it, and they did a great job of it.
I did always wonder how Walt Ended up being a chemistry teacher who needed a part time job at a carwash to make ends meet

Maybe it was only supposed to be temporary thing until he started a new company but life/marriage/having a kid just got in the way and he lost all confidence in his abilities/intelligence

Scavengers Reign (HBO / airing on Netflix in the UK)
PHENOMENAL sci-fi animation featuring an alien world unlike any I've ever seen in any medium.

Devastated to read that it was cancelled after 1 season. Fortunately, season 1 is pretty standalone but I'm gutted not to be able to explore more of this world.

An absolute must-see for fans of the genre. 9/10

Most probably have already seen, but am watching Bloodline currently and it's definitely worth a look. Probably enjoying it a bit more because we holidayed in the Florida keys this summer.

Also, Severance on Apple TV was so good. A real mind bender.

Leftovers is the only show that has actually got at me a bit emotionally, I think the music they use adds to that.
I can’t quite remember the detail but The scene where they walk into the dining room and there were mannequins made me shiver

Shogun has been quite impressive so far. Only 1 season out , which is based by the book but heard there might be Season 2 due to the high ratings.

Finally got around to binging all three seasons of Slow Horses ahead of s4 coming out and it's fecking outstanding! I loved The Bureau and Slow Horses is up there in my top European shows. I know a few people have recommended it but now I'm even trying to resist getting the novels because I'm so addicted to the characters. Thanks to all of you who kept mentioning it and keeping on my mind.

Has there been any suprise hits this year like last year's Beef on Netflix?
I've only watched the big shows: The Boys and House of the Dragon so far

Finally got around to binging all three seasons of Slow Horses ahead of s4 coming out and it's fecking outstanding! I loved The Bureau and Slow Horses is up there in my top European shows. I know a few people have recommended it but now I'm even trying to resist getting the novels because I'm so addicted to the characters. Thanks to all of you who kept mentioning it and keeping on my mind.
Don’t resist. Do it! The novels are fabulous, though at present I’m listening to them on Audible rather than reading them. Each book covers a season and there are 8 so far. I cannot recommend both the show and the novels highly enough. Great stuff!

Started watching Slow Horses last night and struggling to come to terms with the fact that the lead actor (Jack Lowden?) is not Simon Pegg. He's got the same mannerisms, intonation and everything. Could be a clone.

Don’t resist. Do it! The novels are fabulous, though at present I’m listening to them on Audible rather than reading them. Each book covers a season and there are 8 so far. I cannot recommend both the show and the novels highly enough. Great stuff!

A few questions for you.

Are the shows very accurate to the books in general?
If I got the 5th book and started reading would that offer spoilers on the 4th season about to come out?
Have you read any of the side novellas?

Started watching Slow Horses last night and struggling to come to terms with the fact that the lead actor (Jack Lowden?) is not Simon Pegg. He's got the same mannerisms, intonation and everything. Could be a clone.
Liking it so far? I really liked it, especially Oldman as Jackson Lamb…. a fantastic character.

A few questions for you.

Are the shows very accurate to the books in general?
If I got the 5th book and started reading would that offer spoilers on the 4th season about to come out?
Have you read any of the side novellas?

The shows are mostly very accurate although some books have clearly taken artistic decisions and altered some plot details. But the broad strokes are all there in the books.

If you are into reading I wouldn't start at book 5. It will definitely offer spoilers of course but more importantly you'll miss out on an excellent read/listen. I'd start at book 1 and make your way through the lot as I'm doing. When season 4 comes out next month sure i'll already know the plot but will be fascinated by how they present it on screen as opposed to how it comes across in print.

If you're not an avid reader. You could do a lot worse than listen to the audible versions which are excellently narrated by Sean Barrett who does a marvellous rendition of Jackson Lamb.

So far i've read just one of the novellas (which are great little snippets) from the point of view of another character in the world. It The List comes just after book 2, and the next one up is The Drop which is just after book 5 (the one i'm listening to currently).

However you choose to do it enjoy. It's the best thing i've watched on TV (and listened to on audiobook) for years.

The shows are mostly very accurate although some books have clearly taken artistic decisions and altered some plot details. But the broad strokes are all there in the books.

If you are into reading I wouldn't start at book 5. It will definitely offer spoilers of course but more importantly you'll miss out on an excellent read/listen. I'd start at book 1 and make your way through the lot as I'm doing. When season 4 comes out next month sure i'll already know the plot but will be fascinated by how they present it on screen as opposed to how it comes across in print.

If you're not an avid reader. You could do a lot worse than listen to the audible versions which are excellently narrated by Sean Barrett who does a marvellous rendition of Jackson Lamb.

So far i've read just one of the novellas (which are great little snippets) from the point of view of another character in the world. It The List comes just after book 2, and the next one up is The Drop which is just after book 5 (the one i'm listening to currently).

However you choose to do it enjoy. It's the best thing i've watched on TV (and listened to on audiobook) for years.

Awesome, thank you for taking the time to write that. I really appreciate it. Audiobook would be easier at the moment ad I can listen when I'm driving but it will be hard to hear another voice for Lamb than Oldman so maybe reading the books is the way to go although it will take longer. I always an audio book and physical book and i get through the audio ones faster when driving.

I love the show. Agree that it's one of the best I've ever seen, up there with The Bureau and Gomorrah first few seasons for my favorites from Europe. Now I'm just waiting for the next season!

Awesome, thank you for taking the time to write that. I really appreciate it. Audiobook would be easier at the moment ad I can listen when I'm driving but it will be hard to hear another voice for Lamb than Oldman so maybe reading the books is the way to go although it will take longer. I always an audio book and physical book and i get through the audio ones faster when driving.

I love the show. Agree that it's one of the best I've ever seen, up there with The Bureau and Gomorrah first few seasons for my favorites from Europe. Now I'm just waiting for the next season!
I thought the same but within minutes I was sold. Barrett has a more gravelly delivery than Oldman but is equally as awesome and some of his wisecracks are even more harsh than on the show.

Give book 1 of the audiobook a try and you won’t be disappointed. Be aware that there are 2 versions though by Barrett and Doyle and Barrett’s the one I’m listening to and loving.

Ffs now I won’t be able to unhear this.

I thought the same but within minutes I was sold. Barrett has a more gravelly delivery than Oldman but is equally as awesome and some of his wisecracks are even more harsh than on the show.

Give book 1 of the audiobook a try and you won’t be disappointed. Be aware that there are 2 versions though by Barrett and Doyle and Barrett’s the one I’m listening to and loving.

You've sold me! Cheers!