Television Anyone recommend me any TV Shows?

Any good European shows in the last year or two? I'm thinking close to the level of Babylon Berlin or The Bureau (or a decent comedy series)?

Only just discovered Jordan Peeles ‘Twilight Zone’ seasons. Lots of very good in there. S01E03 is a triumph.

Tried Warrior but gave up after 6 episodes. I'm completely baffled it has such a high rating considering how poor the script and acting is. People are enjoying this is an ironic way right? Like "turn your brain off and enjoy it for what it is" kinda thing yeah?

Any good European shows in the last year or two? I'm thinking close to the level of Babylon Berlin or The Bureau (or a decent comedy series)?
I'd be interested in this too! The Bureau is still up there with the very best shows I've ever seen. Absolutely top tier television!

Can i get some Apple TV suggestions please?

Seen:
For All Mankind
Servant
Foundation (elite tier)
Severance (elite tier)
Pachinko (elite tier)
Slow Horses (elite tier)
Black Bird
Silo
Mythic Quest
Ted Lasso
The Afterparty (S1)
Five Days At Memorial
Hijack
Platonic

Not interested:
Morning Show
See
Invasion
Masters of the Air

Already lined up:
Constellation
Dark Matter
Sugar

I realise that the above probably constitutes approx. 50% of their entire output :D
Shrinking

Can i get some Apple TV suggestions please?

Seen:
For All Mankind
Servant
Foundation (elite tier)
Severance (elite tier)
Pachinko (elite tier)
Slow Horses (elite tier)
Black Bird
Silo
Mythic Quest
Ted Lasso
The Afterparty (S1)
Five Days At Memorial
Hijack
Platonic

Not interested:
Morning Show
See
Invasion
Masters of the Air

Already lined up:
Constellation
Dark Matter
Sugar

I realise that the above probably constitutes approx. 50% of their entire output :D
Presumed Innocent (just came out)

Quality penultimate episode of Mayor of Kingstown. Season has flown by.
That bit when Charlie's voice goes to normal and he says "What about the man on the porch, Ian." Absolutely marvelous scene.

Just finished a rewatch of the remake of Battlestar Galactica and it is still pretty good. Falls off hard in the final season but those first couple of seasons still stand up bar a few filler episodes. Also happens to have one of the best opening episodes (if you ignore the mini series) of any genre show, might even be the best of the whole series.

I have watched Babylon Berlin but not The Bureau. Babylon Berlin is an A in my rating system.

In terms of a somewhat interesting historical drama, Paris Police 1900 and Paris Police 1905 might be worth trying, though more of a B+. These were on BBC4 and might still be available on BBC i-player.

The Sky Italia series 1992 (covers Tangentopoli - Mani Pulite scandal and rise of Berlusconi) is an A. With 2nd series 1993 and then 1994. These are a few years old now. I watched them on Sky Atlantic. Should still be available as Sky boxsets. My Brilliant Friend (follows 2 young school girls over 20+ years) is another Sky Italia series. First two series might be B+, got a bit bored by the 3rd series so never finished it. Probably more aimed at a female audience at a guess. Der Pass (one of The Bridge related foreign dramas, in this case German and Austrian detectives find body on the border) and The King (Prison drama featuring the main actor from Montelbano) are also on Sky boxsets; neither are Babylon Berlin standard. The Ibiza Affair (with male detective actor from Der Pass - about Austrian Political Scandal) is interesting. I enjoyed Blocco 181 but not convinced it should be considered high quality. These are all Sky Atlantic/Sky boxsets foreign drama.

On Walter Presents (Channel 4 in the UK), there are lots of B-, B and B+ but not many A- or A. The Hunter (about Italian anti-mafia prosecutors and team) is probably the best drama currently available on there. The Twelve (about a Belgian jury, 1st season better than 2nd) and Pandora (Belgian politics + crime drama) might just be worth A-. If you search my posts in this thread, you'll find a lengthy review of lots of Walter Presents foreign drama. They stay for 2 to 3 years then disappear from the system so many of better shows have now vanished but may be available elsewhere.

BBC4 Saturday night foreign drama - Dark Hearts A- (about french elite special forces tracking french ISIS members in Iraq) and Prisoner B+ (Danish drama with Sofie Grabol from The Killing, is bleak but interesting)

On Netflix, Lidia Poet (about 1st Italian female lawyer) is quite fun. Kleo (East German assassin) is light. The Empress is another that I imagine is targeted at a female audience but I liked it. All three are B+. Also seen High Water (Czech ? flood crisis drama) and some Spanish shows featuring stars from La Casa de Papel/Money Heist. Intimacy (Lisbon actress) was better than Burning Body (with Tokyo actress). From time to time I watch a few episodes of the long running Cable Girls (Spanish drama about first telephone operators) which is ok - another probably aimed at a female audience. Snabba Cash (Swedish drugs + start-up business world drama) has been mentioned a few times on here. All these would be in B to B+ territory apart from Burning Body (B-)

In my experience, there are very few TV dramas that cover both micro and macro in the way Babylon Berlin does. Of the above, I'd say 1992/1993/1994 does and Paris Police 1900 to some extent.

Last edited:
Very solid final episode of season 3 of Mayor of Kingstown. Could see them continuing with a season 4, but wouldn't be surprised if three seasons is all we get.

I have watched Babylon Berlin but not The Bureau. Babylon Berlin is an A in my rating system.

In terms of a somewhat interesting historical drama, Paris Police 1900 and Paris Police 1905 might be worth trying, though more of a B+. These were on BBC4 and might still be available on BBC i-player.

The Sky Italia series 1992 (covers Tangentopoli - Mani Pulite scandal and rise of Berlusconi) is an A. With 2nd series 1993 and then 1994. These are a few years old now. I watched them on Sky Atlantic. Should still be available as Sky boxsets. My Brilliant Friend (follows 2 young school girls over 20+ years) is another Sky Italia series. First two series might be B+, got a bit bored by the 3rd series so never finished it. Probably more aimed at a female audience at a guess. Der Pass (one of The Bridge related foreign dramas, in this case German and Austrian detectives find body on the border) and The King (Prison drama featuring the main actor from Montelbano) are also on Sky boxsets; neither are Babylon Berlin standard.

On Walter Presents (Channel 4 in the UK), there are lots of B-, B and B+ but not many A- or A. The Hunter (about Italian anti-mafia prosecutors and team) is probably the best drama currently available on there. The Twelve (about a Belgian jury, 1st season better than 2nd) and Pandora might just be worth A-. If you search my posts in this thread, you'll find a lengthy review of lots of Walter Presents foreign drama. They stay for 2 to 3 years then disappear from the system so many of better shows have now vanished but may be available elsewhere.

BBC4 Saturday night foreign drama - Dark Hearts A- (about french elite special forces tracking french ISIS members in Iraq) and Prisoner B+ (Danish drama with Sofie Grabol from The Killing, is bleak but interesting)

On Netflix, Lidia Poet (about 1st Italian female lawyer) is quite fun. Kleo (East German assassin) is light. The Empress is another that I imagine is targeted at a female audience but I liked it. All three are B+. Also seen High Water and some Spanish shows featuring stars from La Casa de Papel/Money Heist. Intimacy was better than Burning Body (with Tokyo actress)

Thank you for such a detailed response, I really appreciate it! Will browse through everything you suggested, starting with the Sky Italia series. You might want to watch the The Bureau, I don't rate it as high as Babylon Berlin, if I had to create a makeshift rating system I'd say Babylon Berlin is 9.5 and The Bureau is 8.5 (and to triangulate, The Wire would be 9.5 (and nothing else)).

Take note @wr8_utd

Last edited:
Very solid final episode of season 3 of Mayor of Kingstown. Could see them continuing with a season 4, but wouldn't be surprised if three seasons is all we get.
Better than the 9th episode? I do feel they peaked with that.
Thank you for such a detailed response, I really appreciate it! Will browse through everything you suggested, starting with the Sky Italia series. You might want to watch the The Bureau, I don't rate it as high as Babylon Berlin, if I had to create a makeshift rating system I'd say Babylon Berlin is 9.5 and The Bureau is 8.5 (and to triangulate, The Wire would be 9.5 (and nothing else)).

Take note @wr8_utd
Thank you and thank you @kundalini

Was bored and started re watching Black Sails, which is now on Netflix. Such a gem of a show sadly many missed out on bc it was on Starz. Also one of the few shows I've watched all the way through I actually thought had a very satisfactory ending as well.

Currently watching The Street. It's about 15 year old. Never seen it before but it has some fantastic actors over the three series.

From Jim Mcgovern that also did Crime.

He's got to be a city fan because the series is absolutely peppered with ABU pro city shit.

The more I thought about it, yeah, there are a few loose ends that need to be tied off.
Could potentially end there but I think there were enough hints at more to see that made a (now almost announced) 4th season likely to happen. Mike's brother getting arrested is the biggest hint imo as I don't think they would have had that happen if it was the very end.

Started watching The Legends of Vox Machina. Great fun show. Its not Arcane but still worth watching.

I know it’s an older show but someone in this thread recommended BANSHEE to me few years ago and I’m glad they did. Rewatched it recently and still brilliant! Love the show!

Very disappointed they ended Vikings Valhalla. They had so much material to carry the season on leading to Harold’s attempted invasion of England.
I have seen the previous two Vikings show. Does this match up to Vikings and The Last Kingdom?

I have seen the previous two Vikings show. Does this match up to Vikings and The Last Kingdom?
No probably not as good as them but still very good with a mix of real characters and storylines. It had the potential to be as good as the others if it continued but the storylines were ended too quickly. Still a good watch though.

Watched "The Red King" over the last week.... A muder mystery with cult stuff going on? Basically right up my street.

Also watching "The Other Two" as my turn your brain-off comedy... pretty bleh so far. Tempted to stick with it though as it gets good reviews.

Just finished The Gentleman on Netflix, very enjoyable.
I found it watchable but not amazing. There was very little tension in it for me. Lots of plot armour, classic Guy Ritchie cliches, shitloads of exposition and the whole scouse mafia angle just fecking died off right when it was coming to a head.

I just can't bring myself to start something new, I constantly crave the nice warm security blanket of a show that I love, even though I know the story off by heart.

I've recently re-watched Dexter, Lost, Stranger Things (each of which I've seen multiple times) and now I'm either re-starting 24 or Prison Break (Can't decide which one yet).

Nothing new has really grabbed me like these shows have, maybe that's because of the 8 episode seasons, or the fact that there are 2 years in between seasons, but nothing really has that buzz any more. When the likes of Lost were about, there were forums dedicated to it, it was a cultural phenomenon, like GoT but I've only watched that once and have no desire to revisit.

I think the only recent series to grab me straight away was "From" which is great.