Antony under investigation by Brazilian authorities for domestic abuse | Inquiries ended | Back in the squad

Yeah there is definitely no way any women could actually care about domestic abuse!?

What? I imagine it's perfectly reasonable that she didn't spend significant time thinking about the legal merits of her suggestion. She should be allowed to post that opinion without being entirely caught up with the intricacies of the legal system and judicial procedure. Which goes back to my point - why criticise her for that.

What? I imagine it's perfectly reasonable that she didn't spend significant time thinking about the legal merits of her suggestion. She should be allowed to post that opinion without being entirely caught up of the intricacies of the legal system and judicial procedure. Which goes back to my point - why criticise her for that.

I misunderstood you. Apologies.

What? I imagine it's perfectly reasonable that she didn't spend significant time thinking about the legal merits of her suggestion. She should be allowed to post that opinion without being entirely caught up of the intricacies of the legal system and judicial procedure. Which goes back to my point - why criticise her for that.

Her suggestion is also, incidentally, perfectly fine legally.

Why are we under pressure to do anything? Someone has posted allegation on the internet, which are not new and under investigation also. Antony has already responded and from his response it looks like he is confident the court proceedings will be in his favour.

If we start acting on every allegation with level of proof that we have been presented with, then i am afraid no player is safe. This case may or may not be real but it will be very easy to fabricate evidence like the one we have right now and accuse absolutely anyone. All Manutd should do is wait and let legal process to uncover the truth. It’s not Club responsibility to decide Antony’s guilt.

Why are we under pressure to do anything? Someone has posted allegation on the internet, which are not new and under investigation also. Antony has already responded and from his response it looks like he is confident the court proceedings will be in his favour.

If we start acting on every allegation with level of proof that we have been presented with, then i am afraid no player is safe. This case may or may not be real but it will be very easy to fabricate evidence like the one we have right now and accuse absolutely anyone. All Manutd should do is wait and let legal process to uncover the truth. It’s not Club responsibility to decide Antony guilt.

We should just ignore it until a judge comes to a decision? Because of player safety?

Don you have any idea of the stats around finding offenders guilty?

"No player is safe". Wow.

This is why you should always assume someone is innocent until proven otherwise. The mob will not stop. Rachel Riley will tweet about every incident and we have to follow suit.

Not defending Antony (or Greenwood).

Anyway. Not sure why there is so much gloom. Actually think we play better without him. Push Bruno out wide and Amrabat in the centre and watch us move up the table.

This is a blessing in disguise if you ask me

If we start acting on every allegation with level of proof that we have been presented with, then i am afraid no player is safe. This case may or may not be real but it will be very easy to fabricate evidence like the one we have right now and accuse absolutely anyone. All Manutd should do is wait and let legal process to uncover the truth. It’s not Club responsibility to decide Antony’s guilt.

Agree. It is not United responsibility to decide Antonys guilt. Even though they did inject themselves in the Greenwood case by creating an investigation then announcing they didn't believe him to be guilty.

In a regular workplace, if there were similar allegations made against an employe, that employee would likely be suspended from work.

I worked at a large corporate law firm and that happened a few times.

I don't get it either.

This is why you should always assume someone is innocent until proven otherwise. The mob will not stop. Rachel Riley will tweet about every incident and we have to follow suit.

Not defending Antony (or Greenwood).

Anyway. Not sure why there is so much gloom. Actually think we play better without him. Push Bruno out wide and Amrabat in the centre and watch us move up the table.

This is a blessing in disguise if you ask me
This whole Mob and Riley narrative is tedious.

How can Arsenal not be under pressure to drop Partey, who faces way way worse allegations and had some not so good looking evidence in public? Except a few fans, it seems nobody cares there. I can't understand it - either both clubs should be facing pressure to drop the player or both not.

We should just ignore it until a judge comes to a decision? Because of player safety?

Don you have any idea of the stats around finding offenders guilty?

"No player is safe". Wow.
I am not sure we are talking about stats here. It has nothing to do with this case. Antony’s guilt cant be determined by how stats are in domestic violence case. They will be decided on the merits of the evidence present. And the ones we have in this case are allegations and bunch of photos and whatsapp snapshots. Not a single one proves anything. Atleast in Greenwood case, you had audio which damaged his reputation and he was charged for various serious offences. With what we know from the news article, i will be surprised if Antony is even charged with anything.

At present moment we dont know enough, and whatever we do know, points in favour of Antony. You cant act against anyone with the level of proof that is presented just because the stats on
domestic violence is disturbing to read.

How can Arsenal not be under pressure to drop Partey, who faces way way worse allegations and had some not so good looking evidence in public? Except a few fans, it seems nobody cares there. I can't understand it - either both clubs should be facing pressure to drop the player or both not.

United is the biggest club in England and probably second biggest in the world. Everything just goes viral. A player cannot piss in the street and not have it go viral.

The media is gathering pace on the story and Brazil axed him. The club has to do something, anything really.

I don't know if suspension is the right move , but suspensions are not a result of a conviction - imprisonment is. Suspending someone under criminal investigation is fairly common practice.

We dithered on Greenwood and are silent on this while the Brazilian federation (!) takes the moral high ground, and we are giving the media a ton of ammunition in how slow we are to comment on this. Leaving aside the moral argument and the severity of the allegations, it's not a good look.

I am not sure we are talking about stats here. It has nothing to do with this case. Antony’s guilt cant be determined by how stats are in domestic violence case. They will be decided on the merits of the evidence present. And the ones we have in this case are allegations and bunch of photos and whatsapp snapshots. Not a single one proves anything. Atleast in Greenwood case, you had audio which damaged his reputation and he was charged for various serious offences. With what we know from the news article, i will be surprised if Antony is even charged with anything.

At present moment we dont know enough, and whatever we do know, points in favour of Antony. You cant act against anyone with the level of proof that is presented just because the stats on
domestic violence is disturbing to read.

So although the stats are bad and reporting and conviction rates are incredibly low, we should wait for a judge as the sole arbitration, to protect the players.

As it stands I bear no ill feeling towards Antony and if these allegations are false then hell be fine. Suspended with pay pending more info is not that harsh. And it's not done lightly Id imagine. But time will tell.

Agree. It is not United responsibility to decide Antonys guilt. Even though they did inject themselves in the Greenwood case by creating an investigation then announcing they didn't believe him to be guilty.

In a regular workplace, if there were similar allegations made against an employe, that employee would likely be suspended from work.

I worked at a large corporate law firm and that happened a few times.
But it wont be televised in the entire world. Or the victim wont go and give interview to media outlet and it will be trending news

The moment Manutd release statement that Antony is suspended, his reputation is damaged and he will be labelled throughout his career. Its not same for any other profession. It will be kept quite confidential which wasnt the case here. Alleged victim has decided to go public with accusations.

So although the stats are bad and reporting and conviction rates are incredibly low, we should wait for a judge as the sole arbitration, to protect the players.

As it stands I bear no ill feeling towards Antony and if these allegations are false then hell be fine. Suspended with pay pending more info is not that harsh. And it's not done lightly Id imagine. But time will tell.
So you want him suspended because the conviction stats in domestic violence are not in his favour?

He will be suspended when he is legally charged which doesn’t mean he is guilty but there is suspicion of guilt at least. Right now there is nothing. It would be borderline harassment to take action against Antony right now

So you want him suspended because the conviction stats in domestic violence are not in his favour?

He will be suspended when he is legally charged which doesn’t mean he is guilty but there is suspicion of guilt at least. Right now there is nothing. It would be borderline harassment to take action against Antony right now

If charged he should be suspended. Yep.

Not a judge but certainly should be 'ignored' until the police come to a decision about the evidence they've been given. Sets a horrible precedent otherwise.

Of course. The cops or the club, I've never said otherwise.

I don't get it either. It's just so maddening to see the level of pressure or, on the opposite case, protection that certain clubs have. You can't afford double standards for this kind of stuff; it has to be the same for everyone.

The media is gathering pace on the story and Brazil axed him. The club has to do something, anything really.

I don't know if suspension is the right move , but suspensions are not a result of a conviction - imprisonment is. Suspending someone under criminal investigation is fairly common practice.

We dithered on Greenwood and are silent on this while the Brazilian federation (!) takes the moral high ground, and we are giving the media a ton of ammunition in how slow we are to comment on this. Leaving aside the moral argument and the severity of the allegations, it's not a good look.

I don't think it is unreasonable for the club not to make a decision on a potential suspension until at least before the next United game.

I don't think it is unreasonable for the club not to make a decision on a potential suspension until at least before the next United game.

If they are waiting they kind of need to say they are aware and processing or something, in the context of the balls they made over Greenwood and the action the Brazilian FA have taken.
It's a mess, lose lose.

If we start acting on every allegation with level of proof that we have been presented with, then i am afraid no player is safe.

Except the majority of players who don't get accused of DV largely because they don't engage in DV or behaviours that open them up to such accusations of course.

And why do you leap to the assumption that events were invented?

Given the Orla Sloane/ Mason Mount case, surely an automatic suspension for allegations is unwarranted, especially if the club is aware of the likelihood of possible innocence?.

But it wont be televised in the entire world. Or the victim wont go and give interview to media outlet and it will be trending news

The moment Manutd release statement that Antony is suspended, his reputation is damaged and he will be labelled throughout his career. Its not same for any other profession. It will be kept quite confidential which wasnt the case here. Alleged victim has decided to go public with accusations.

Nonsense. That depends entirely on how they handle it in the media. They have 4 viable options.

1. Comment that the club and the player are giving their full cooperation to police, and announce work on clear guidelines for handling domestic abuse and violence cases (ala Riley suggested). Player keeps playing, investigation keeps going, man utd did something. Shield him from press for a few months, sit out a few games.

2. Keep him off the field for a few matches (extended time ala Sancho) citing personal reasons, announce guidelines and lead an initiative for handling these types of cases with the premier league and other clubs.

3. Remove him from matchday squads until the investigation is completed.

4. Suspend him.

The idea that they can just keep silent and lean on "Innocent until proven guilty" is not viable and will cause huge issues.

Right now we aren’t even at that stage. Allegations have been made and police is ascertaining the validity of the claims. Once police files a case against Antony, then criminal investigation will start. Then we will suspend him most likely depending on the type of charges brought against him.

You can’t suspend people just because someone has made allegations against him/her.

Given the Orla Sloane/ Mason Mount case, surely an automatic suspension for allegations is unwarranted, especially if the club is aware of the likelihood of possible innocence?.

Ah I never said suspended on allegations. That's a no brainer. Just that we shouldn't wait for a verdict.

Except the majority of players who don't get accused of DV largely because they don't engage in DV or behaviours that open them up to such accusations of course.

And why do you leap to the assumption that events were invented?
My initial response was that we can’t and we shouldn’t take action against Antony at the moment. I am not making any assumptions of the guilt, it was hypothetical scenario.

Unless he is charged with anything, we should wait and let the police preliminary investigation determine the validity of the claim.

Once he is charged with DV case, then he will be suspended. But it wont be fair to Antony to punish him at the moment with the level of evidence presented. In Greenwood case there was an awful audio sequence which could be used to justify disciplinary action against him. But on what basis Antony will be suspended?

If they are waiting they kind of need to say they are aware and processing or something, in the context of the balls they made over Greenwood and the action the Brazilian FA have taken.
It's a mess, lose lose.

I'm sure United has and will receive requests for comments and will probably say something (even if entirely non committal) within the week.

My initial response was that we can’t and we shouldn’t take action against Antony at the moment. I am not making any assumptions of the guilt, it was hypothetical scenario.

Unless he is charged with anything, we should wait and let the police preliminary investigation determine the validity of the claim.

You asked why we are under pressure to do anything. The actions of the Brazilian FA and our recent mess surrounding Greenwood has us under pressure. These allegations have been out for months.

For the sake of consistency we have to suspended him for now if there's any merit to the reports of course.

After that, who knows.

You asked why we are under pressure to do anything. The actions of the Brazilian FA and our recent mess surrounding Greenwood has us under pressure. These allegations have been out for months.
Hypothetically though, if Antony keeps playing for United and nothing in the case changes by October, I bet they call him up (if he is good enough). They booted him because of the timing more than anything imo.

Right now we aren’t even at that stage. Allegations have been made and police is ascertaining the validity of the claims. Once police files a case against Antony, then criminal investigation will start. Then we will suspend him most likely depending on the type of charges brought against him.

You can’t suspend people just because someone has made allegations against him/her.

He is under investigation, but he has not been charged with anything. I'm not saying suspend him now - I think there are better ways of handling this that doesn't leave Man Utd without room to maneuver, but they have to do or say something.

Brazil FA dont employ him. And greenwood case had an audio in which he was saying some truly awful stuff.

Antony case cant be compared. We cant just suspend him because police havent charged him with anything after months of investigation. These allegations are not new and Brazil FA probably decided to keep their team out of it. Unfortunately we can’t avoid like they did and also act in the same way.

Brazil FA dont employ him. And greenwood case had an audio in which he was saying some truly awful stuff.

Antony case cant be compared. We cant just suspend him because police havent charged him with anything after months of investigation. These allegations are not new and Brazil FA probably decided to keep their team out of it. Unfortunately we can’t avoid like they did and also act in the same way.

These allegations broke on June 6. Nobody acted. Something has shifted to make the Brazilian FA act.

These allegations broke on June 6. Nobody acted. Something has shifted to make the Brazilian FA act.
The UOL article with the (circumstantial) photos and WhatsApp chat logs was published a few days ago

The UOL stuff. WhatsApp messages where Antony apologises for kicking his girlfriend, threats of violence, and a number of messages that she sent to friends and agents about how he beat her again.

It's pretty bad. If it hadn't been in Portuguese I'm sure it would be plastered all over.