Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are absolutely brimming with confidence aren't we?

Time to enter the bid preparation stage.

Doesn't matter, they won't get out of the group stages or ro16 of the CL.

Their biggest cash injection will be the Antony deal this summer.

Theyll finish second at most in the Dutch league.

Not like they'll go on to win the CL.

Antony wants to leave hes not training, there's an offer for €94m regardless of Ziyech they'll sell.

Most rubbish post I‘ve seen in a while.

They had 18 points in the CL group stage.

For the people that think it's too much money what's the alternative?

1. Not signing the RW we wanted all summer and playing the season with a really thin attacking core
2. Signing a LW that isn't better than Antony, if not even worse than what we already have in Gakpo.

I would love Frenkie, a right back and goalkeeper just as much as the next guy but that's just not going to happen with a week left and the current reports of what and who the club wants. Might as well splurge on Antony, who is a joy to watch, a true RW (a position we've been looking to fill for ages, sadly Sancho performs better on the left) and a player that fits what Ten Hag wants to do.

He's a real baller and comfortable with the ball in his feet. The fees we need to pay these days are absolutely abysmal but so is the current state of our product on the field. It will always be a risk but I think Antony is a risk worth taking and I'm hopeful he will be a massive boost for our team and towards our desire to attack and dominate our opponents.
As it stands, in the situation we're in there aren't really any alternative options. Regardless of there being no feasible options, it still doesn't make this a good value transfer. I'm not against this transfer but I'm not super excited by the player or the fee which I think is okay.

I don't think there's anything wrong with questioning or being dubious about a transfer either. For a while I feel like United fans have lapped up transfers without thinking about them more objectively and gone overboard with praise before they signed and their first decent appearance. It's swinging the other way now in being more negative but think it's largely because of our transfer record for some time now, which again I think is fair enough.

Transfers used to be really fun. Antony is exactly the type of player I grew up hoping we'd sign. The Internet has led so many people to think they are analysis experts, we're over thinking the shit out of everything and sucking the fun out.

Do I want to sign an exciting winger, who will most likely provide moments that gets everyone out of their seats and is of an age where they are likely to keep improving?

It's a simple yes. Not knowing how they will perform etc is a big part of the fun and mystery. None of this nonsense was around when we signed Veron and players him. We're getting to a point where almost no transfer is exciting because armchair experts analyse things to death.

I just want to look forward to the games on a weekend. Antony is an exciting signing. It's really as simple as that to me.

With a different manager, Martinez, Antony, Gravenberch.

If past performance is an indicator of future success then United will win the treble this year.

When United lost SAF and Scholes and got Moyes we didn't go back and walk the league

Transfers used to be really fun. Antony is exactly the type of player I grew up hoping we'd sign. The Internet has led so many people to think they are analysis experts, we're over thinking the shit out of everything and sucking the fun out.

Do I want to sign an exciting winger, who will most likely provide moments that gets everyone out of their seats and is of an age where they are likely to keep improving?

It's a simple yes. Not knowing how they will perform etc is a big part of the fun and mystery. None of this nonsense was around when we signed Veron and players him. We're getting to a point where almost no transfer is exciting because armchair experts analyse things to death.

I just want to look forward to the games on a weekend. Antony is an exciting signing. It's really as simple as that to me.

I completely agree! He is an exciting player who loves to try things on the pitch. He reminds me of Nani – a player that I loved. Of course, some of what he tries will not come off, but I will also be excited by a player who dares to try.

On top of that flair, he is a player who works hard and will fit right into EtH's plans - and he knows exactly who is he is getting character-wise because he has worked with him before.

I don't care how much we pay for him – he brings something that we don't have but have been crying out for for a long time.

They probably won’t do any deal with us until they agreed something for Ziyech.

They want a replacement secured first and also by officially agreeing a deal with us for big money they weaken their hand in negotiations with Chelsea or whoever else they are dealing with.

What would people prefer -

1) Antony and no CM signing

Vs.

2) FDJ & Inferior attacker i.e. Depay?

I am asking in here rather than the FDJ thread to try and get a balanced view..

Vs.

Definitely FDJ.

Not because I don’t rate Antony, but I just don’t think he could have made enough impact in his first year with us in PL. Remember even Sancho suffered badly in his first season with us. Plus we also have Garnacho waiting in the wings. He could be just as good.

Definitely FDJ.

Not because I don’t rate Antony, but I just don’t think he could have made enough impact in his first year with us in PL. Remember even Sancho suffered badly in his first season with us. Plus we also have Garnacho waiting in the wings. He could be just as good.
I agree but I just think that we have wasted too much time on FDJ, it would have happened by now, if it was going to happen.

Think £90m on Antony is far too much.

Would like to have seen a GK brought in that commands his box better than De Gea, as priority. After that a ball carrying midfielder is more urgent need than another winger.

I‘m getting sick of the incessant moaning of certain pathetic individuals.

-Darwin Nunez goes to Pool for 100 mill and you moan: Why didn‘t we get him?
-Antony may cost 90+ million and you moan: It‘s too much, we are always overpaying.

-Frenkie de Jong wanted to stay at Barça and you moan: he doesn‘t want to come here we don‘t want him.
-Antony wants to come here and you moan:
we don‘t want him.

-Frenkie de Jong is a priority target and you moan: he is not a true dm.
-Casemiro, the best dm in the world comes here and you moan: he is not a playmaker.

Should I go on? You Miserable fecking cnuts!?
This is a great post.

Vs.

Antony after we signed Casemiro.

(Preferably both though!)

Add to that - with the sales they have made - they can afford to sign 4-5 quality players from Germany, Austria, Holland or Belgium

Vs.

De Jong but that has all to do with high I rate De Jong and not a slight against Antony.

With that being said, I left the De Jong train weeks ago.

Add to that - with the sales they have made - they can afford to sign 4-5 quality players from Germany, Austria, Holland or Belgium

I saw someone posting how much money Ajax was taking every year from transfers like the club is sitting on a huge pile of money, but what that list doesn't tell you is that Ajax needs to sell €50m a year just to break even. The tv rights deal is €10m a year, there is no treasure fleet worth close to €200m sailing in every year like it is for United that can be p*ssed away on pricy gambles, excessive wages and players with little to no resale value.

Ajax was hit especially hard by the Covid pandemic, losing approx. €40m which is akin to two huge transfers for the Eredivisie.

The current transfer record stands at €31m for Bergwijn who is only 24 years old and will still be able to transfer to a bigger league in 2-3 years time. Ziyech is close to 30 and represents far less resale value in that same time frame.

Ajax looks for two types of player:
- Prospects who can be sold on for profit;
- Seasoned players that are available at a reasonable fee and make up for their high cost by contributing to on-pitch stability and better development of prospects.

Ziyech falls into the latter category, but the price is simply too high to justify from a financial perspective. The league is the limiting factor.

Still think Ajax should sell because no other club will offer this kind of money, it's all due to Ten Hag being determined to get him. It will mean that Ajax will be playing with only one functional wing which is far easier to defend and will lead to results taking a hit as they always do.

€90m is way too much for a player with only one functional foot. The numbers of time he's been free in front of goal well within the box with the ball perfectly placed for his right foot only for him to move it to his left allowing defenders to clear it or block the shot ... so frustrating. Zero confidence in his right. The only thing he uses his right foot for is to prevent himself from falling over.

Not as far as 1-on-1 replacements go. The only reason that Ziyech is interested in coming to Ajax is due to his prior history at the club. That's a very limited recruitment pool.

Antony was bought for €16m with a 20% sell-on over profit. 20% of €74m = €15m

Leaving (on paper only because there are bound to be additional costs) €59m. United could then spend close to 2/3 of that money on buying a 1-on-1 replacement, Ajax can't. No EPL money, no sugar daddy (although at United it's more like Scrooge before the hauntings at this point).

The transfer income being listed does not take into account operating cost of a football club, wage bill, expenditures related to transfers things like sell-on clauses, signing fees for replacements etc. Income does not equal profit.

Definitely FDJ.

In a dysfunctional side. Antony will be coming into a side that's much better coached ideally.

Vs.

Oh FDJ and Depay 1000000%

FDJ, Casemiro and Bruno would make us an absolute force.

Unfortunately Frenkie is probably not realistic at this point.

De Jong but that has all to do with high I rate De Jong and not a slight against Antony.

With that being said, I left the De Jong train weeks ago.
Deep down we all know Frenkie is worth 80m and Antony is not, at least not yet

Vs.

FDJ thread is not the place for balance :lol:

It’s obvious our recruitment is in an absolutely shambolic state at the moment.

If we were a healthily run club we wouldn’t need to leave so much of the responsibility for our scouting and recruitment at the feet of the manager.

Paying €100m for Antony is clearly not ideal or particularly reasonable. But considering the predicament we find ourselves in and the incompetence that seems to seep throughout every level of our structure, I can find peace with the fact that we’re at least we’re getting a top tier prospect for a position we need. Someone who’s also well versed in the football we’re trying to progress toward.

It is clear that as a club we have to improve going forward, but for now I feel like this is the most I can expect from a clearly dysfunctional organisation.

This is a great post.

Its really not particularly in the instance of Antony, his complaining at the price moaning completely misses the nuance in this transfer that he could have been had for a "feck off price" of 80m euros 6 weeks ago which would have given him time to bed in and left 20 million over to put towards a RB/GK.

In other words its anger at the clubs lack of planning, preperation, and the now unfair pricetag being placed on his head. For 100m+ you expect a signing that revolutionalises the position in the team which you shouldn't expect him to do at his age in his first season in a new league, we know exactly how this scenario played out with Sancho.

Last edited:

Vs.

FDJ easily. That's been ETH's priority all summer. Otherwise, Antony would've been already.

Still more than happy if was only Antony. He wants to be here, which always a plus, & he's very much on the way up.

FDJ easily. That's been ETH's priority all summer. Otherwise, Antony would've been already.

Still more than happy if was only Antony. He wants to be here, which always a plus, & he's very much on the way up.

Yeah his desire to join is impressive, so frustrating Erik's not getting his number target though after pushing for 3 months

Status
Not open for further replies.