Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since Ajax can’t sign Ziech now, presumably this one is off too?
I think it will still happen one way or the other. Can see it dragging down over the weekend though. I don't know how it will be fixed, but I think it will. Ajax could walk away and be left without a replacement or sign Ziyech for a fee that Ajax really shouldn't be spending on Ziyech. In both cases I think Ajax will make United pay more for it. Could be the catalyst which actually takes the Antony fee over €100m.

If you ask me this is still happening. It makes it more complicated though and is likely to stretch the timeline out yet again.

Why just compare to them what about Nunez or Felix against those two he looks far better value!
Nunez has monstrous stats (34goals in 41 games) and impressive performance in CL against top opponents.

Felix, although IMO is overpriced, has far more impressive season at Benfica with 20 goals 8 assist his very first season with Benfica at age 19.

Antony stats in Dutch league has been underwhelming.

I have to admit I don’t get the shock in any of these reactions. Chelsea are doing what they are supposed to from a tactical point of view: fecking with us, a rival, and doing their utmost to either scupper the deal completely or get a good chunk of that penalty tax themselves. Win-win for them, regardless.

Our strategic planning (or lack thereof) is ripe for the taking.

I hope this will have huge impact on Chelsea deals with Ajax in the future. Ajax is a talent hub, they can always play hardball in the future.

Ajax can buy someone else though, €94m won't be turned down
Ajax don’t want to sell; the Ajax fans on here are also as resolute as their club has been in their stance. What good is that money if it’s mostly spent before they see profit as opposed to having a player who they value over the money itself? A percentage of the fee goes straight to his former club, then another chunk on the replacement. This is a big inconvenience for them, especially so when, in the end, they land an inferior player no matter who comes in.

But Ajax is also the kind of club that will want to have found a replacement before they'll let the Antony deal go through. Could take a while.

Doesn't matter, they won't get out of the group stages or ro16 of the CL.

Their biggest cash injection will be the Antony deal this summer.

Theyll finish second at most in the Dutch league.

Not like they'll go on to win the CL.

Antony wants to leave hes not training, there's an offer for €94m regardless of Ziyech they'll sell.

Ajax don’t want to sell; the Ajax fans on here are also as resolute as their club has been in their stance. What good is that money if it’s mostly spent before they see profit as opposed to having a player who they value over the money itself? A percentage of the fee goes straight to his former club, then another chunk on the replacement. This is a big inconvenience for them, especially so when, in the end, they land an inferior player no matter who comes in.

So they keep a player that's unhappy? I genuinely can't see Antony being there come the end of the week

Send Amad on loan to them.

Ajax don't want to loan one of our players. Tthey are in the CL and can do better than Amad. Also, buying and selling of players for an increased fee is an important profit for them. They have the opportunity to give a platform to players like Antony so they can perform/play at the highest level and increase their value significantly. Why would they award this opportunity to a Man Utd player? :D

So they keep a player that's unhappy? I genuinely can't see Antony being there come the end of the week
It’s a World Cup year; not the time for players with aspirations of featuring to dick around unless a lock in their nation’s starting xi ala FDJ.

I hope this will have huge impact on Chelsea deals with Ajax in the future. Ajax is a talent hub, they can always play hardball in the future.
I hope our lot have learned some lessons and don’t ever repeat this kind of behaviour in a transfer window - we shouldn’t even be playing kiss chase at this point in the window!

I think Chelsea will be quoted more for any player they’re interested in from Ajax if they feck them around, but their new money men seem to be really naive and flippant in the market so I don’t know if that’ll even resonate or register with them in the future.

Ajax may well want to keep him but he wants to leave. They can always make him honour his contract but keeping an unhappy player can effect team morale. See ronaldo with us.plus he's already effectively went on strike. Ajax will sell but they will hose us on the fee, which this late in the window, they have every right to do.

Ajax are also taking the piss for 90m.

True but he’s a star player for Ajax and they’re selling late after already selling a lot of players you can see why they have inflated their price.

I know why Chelsea are doing it, they see a club with a newly acquired 90m but Ajax won’t play ball they’re going to over price Ziyech at 44m they’ll just walk away, I’m not sure there’s a club in Europe willing to pay 20m nevermind 44m

In fairness to a Chelsea they know full well that Ajax stand to make upward of 80m from us for Antony and will want a piece of that for Ziyech. Ajax will just have to join the big boys and pay some big bucks.

Also dont forget Antony actually handed in a transfer request so they would have to be low to not let him go.
We didn’t let Rooney go when he did the same thing!

I remember at the beginning of summer we have shown strong interested in Antony and willing to go with €50m bid, and then has been discouraged by Ajax €80m price tag, as it has been widely reported from multiple sources back then, and then we finally give up on the pursuit.

It is now a case of panic buy after our heavy loss to Brentford, just before market is about to close in a week or 2. It’s no coincidence €80m is the amount we offer, which got rejected, so I assume it’s leaving too late for Ajax to say yes. We have to pay even bigger premium now.

I think it’s fair to say that no sources actually know what Ajax would have accepted. It’s not unreasonable though to think they would have accepted a lower fee before they sold Gravenberch, Mazraoui and Lisandro. In that way we maybe upped the price of Antony by buying Lisandro!

Of course, if we buy him at €100m now, it’s because we think it is that necessary, and it may have to do with other options falling away and with the team having greater weaknesses than it seemed to Ten Hag in July. I agree we are paying a premium if we do. I’m not so sure that ‘panic’ is the right word. It might be the most rational choiche with the way things have played out.

Ajax want to rinse us for 100m euro whilst taking another player for peanuts, and being annoyed when that doesn’t happen, sounds about right.

Ajax don't want to loan one of our players. Tthey are in the CL and can do better than Amad. Also, buying and selling of players for an increased fee is an important profit for them. They have the opportunity to give a platform to players like Antony so they can perform/play at the highest level and increase their value significantly. Why would they award this opportunity to a Man Utd player? :D
Then make Amad part of the deal?

For muppet musing, and imagining we push this and de Jong over the line, whoever gets to play at 10/8 in that line-up not only has a hell of an opportunity to create havoc, but is also absolutely pivotal. Perhaps a post for another thread, but interesting to think of how the dynamics in the xi would change so emphatically.

For muppet musing, and imagining we push this and de Jong over the line, whoever gets to play at 10/8 in that line-up not only has a hell of an opportunity to create havoc, but is also absolutely pivotal. Perhaps a post for another thread, but interesting to think of how the dynamics in the xi would change so emphatically.
It would be genuinely exciting to see. Whatever happens with FDJ, after the signings we've already made and assuming Antony signs, our football is going to be very different, I'm in no doubt. Zero.

Why fans sudenly feels suprise by the huge fees? I mean since after the Neymar deal, the transfer market is going wild.

Since then most of the top talents with greag potential was going between 80 to 100+ millions. Maybe, its because we thought that would be back to normal after Covid, no, its just the same because the Covid period is just a break time because clubs were into uncertainties and now is back to normal with all the transfer fees we seen this season. So, dont need to be suprise or feel rejection becaue its 100 mil.

Sometimes, just enjoy the football and forget about the fees. Oh, and if we scared the Glazers wouldnt spend any next transfer window then just need to up the game and start protesting again. It worked, wasnt it.

I think it’s fair to say that no sources actually know what Ajax would have accepted. It’s not unreasonable though to think they would have accepted a lower fee before they sold Gravenberch, Mazraoui and Lisandro. In that way we maybe upped the price of Antony by buying Lisandro!

Of course, if we buy him at €100m now, it’s because we think it is that necessary, and it may have to do with other options falling away and with the team having greater weaknesses than it seemed to Ten Hag in July. I agree we are paying a premium if we do. I’m not so sure that ‘panic’ is the right word. It might be the most rational choiche with the way things have played out.
I remember €80m asking price is originated from some reports during early July, after we failed our opening offer for him.

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/man-utd-antony-asking-price-winger-ajax/blt2a9739d0a717ba2d

But after that, who knows, maybe Ajax never want to sell him, and just quoted whatever price which sounds impossible for us to go further. Its impossible to tell what they really want, there will never be an official source for that. But like I said, the timing of us putting this bid, would means we are likely to pay a premium. If we really want him we should do the bid earlier, to allow more time for them to look for a replacement.

It would be genuinely exciting to see. Whatever happens with FDJ, after the signings we've already made and assuming Antony signs, our football is going to be very different, I'm in no doubt. Zero.
Should be exhilarating watching us again, for sure.

what use is Depay when we need a right winger? he'd be about as useful as hog roast at a bar mitzvah on a good day

:lol: :lol: :lol:

In all fairness he plays pretty well as a false 9 in the NT and was pretty decent up top for Lyon. On a free he could be a ST option for us. I'd rather not see it happening because I think we would saddle ourselves up with yet another player we can't get rid of if he doesn't perform but I get the thought process behind it.

Should be exhilarating watching us again, for sure.
Now there's a word we don't see on this forum too often :lol:

Let's hope so! I'm definitely ready to feel some exhilaration as I'm sure most of us are. I say most because I think some people on here would literally crumble to ash like roadrunner at the very thought of feeling exhilarated. Way too positive a feeling.

For the people that think it's too much money what's the alternative?

1. Not signing the RW we wanted all summer and playing the season with a really thin attacking core
2. Signing a LW that isn't better than Antony, if not even worse than what we already have in Gakpo.

I would love Frenkie, a right back and goalkeeper just as much as the next guy but that's just not going to happen with a week left and the current reports of what and who the club wants. Might as well splurge on Antony, who is a joy to watch, a true RW (a position we've been looking to fill for ages, sadly Sancho performs better on the left) and a player that fits what Ten Hag wants to do.

He's a real baller and comfortable with the ball in his feet. The fees we need to pay these days are absolutely abysmal but so is the current state of our product on the field. It will always be a risk but I think Antony is a risk worth taking and I'm hopeful he will be a massive boost for our team and towards our desire to attack and dominate our opponents.

Reactions: Cheimoon
Status
Not open for further replies.