Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sancho isn’t getting benched ffs. It’ll be Sancho Rashford Antony.
The first part I was like, you got it girl !

but then the second part comes when you put Rashford who is never gonna be a Striker instead of Martial I am like, WTF are you talking about ?

That must be the biggest rollercoaster post i have seen for a while....

It remind me when my sister was at the park with granddad and some little jerk was trying to kill some bugs and she was like:
- do not kill them, I am begging you

And all the adults there said:
- What a lovely little girl

Then she continued:
... do not kill them, I wanna do it.
Die you nasty little worms !!!

But that is exactly what paying €90m for Anthony does. Every winger instantly gets €20m more expensive.
If I was Chelsea I would also think that Ziyech is at least have the player Antony is.
Running in open doors here, mate, €90m for Antony is insanity

We should buy Ziyech for €44m, not register him, then sell him on to Ajax in exchange for Antony. #smort

Oh well, we were overpaying for him anyways. Chelsea might actually be doing us a favour here

But that is exactly what paying €90m for Anthony does. Every winger instantly gets €20m more expensive.
If I was Chelsea I would also think that Ziyech is at least have the player Antony is.

Exactly this.

You can't complain when as the club they are doing the same. Chelsea know they are about to get 94m for Antony so they need to replace him.

If Anotny was sold for cheaper, I guarantee Ziyech would be too.

Id be surprised if Ajax can turn down 94m EUR and royally piss off Antony in the process, regardless of the Ziyech situation.

An easy fix to this would be to send the likes of Amad, Pellestri or Elanga back the other way on loan

Ajax getting price gouged after doing it to us all summer. What a shame. Downside to everyone knowing you have money…

Delightful to see Ajax getting a taste of their own medicine by Chelsea. I’m not particularly fussed over getting Antony as I think it’s really too much money. The one player we should be spending on that kind of money is Frenkie in my opinion

Exactly this.

You can't complain when as the club they are doing the same. Chelsea know they are about to get 94m for Antony so they need to replace him.

If Anotny was sold for cheaper, I guarantee Ziyech would be too.
The good ole "Hey you've got 222m for Neymar so you better pay us 150m for Coutinho" deal.

I’m going to fully admit, when I posted my reply about Sancho not getting benched and the front 3 being Sancho Rashford Antony. I completely forgot Martial existed purely because of last season/the start of this. My bad. I do have my doubts whether he can keep fit though.

Isak is going to the Saudis for £60 million. Gordon who is also bang average is being pursued and quoted at £60 million. Antony is the better player out of the two, so it’s not surprising we’re being quoted that outrageous price.

No he's a pure winger.

On top of that Henry was one dimensional. He flopped at Barca for a reason. Wouldn't have worked as sole striker in a 4-3-3 either.

Suarez is actually a better comparison as he also used to be a winger at Ajax before he turned into a striker. His last season at Ajax he was turned into a striker. I never thougjt he would be this succesfull as a striker though. I always though he would end up playing as a winger again but he never did. Nevertheless the difference with Antony is that Suarez, also when he played as a winger, was way more focused at going towards the goal. He drifted inside much more and was always looking for opportunities to get a goal. Antony plays much more like a traditional winger, staying out wide. I believe he will develop much more towards a Robben kind of inverted winger, but don't see a striker in him at all. Especially not in a team that wants to domimate.

Cool. Thanks for the info.

Is he any good? By this Is he as good as Mbappe on speed?
He isn’t a speed merchant, nor do we need one. He has amazing skill and control and has good acceleration from a standing start.

Chelsea are crazy asking this much. Its unfair. Why are they doing that to us

Ziyech should go on strike

His stats are not even good

Sancho - Martial - Antony

With

Garnacho - Ronaldo - Rashford

to come off the bench is pretty exciting….

With 5 subs there will be game time for everybody…

They're getting a ton of money anyway, no need to be skint
I saw someone posting how much money Ajax was taking every year from transfers like the club is sitting on a huge pile of money, but what that list doesn't tell you is that Ajax needs to sell €50m a year just to break even. The tv rights deal is €10m a year, there is no treasure fleet worth close to €200m sailing in every year like it is for United that can be p*ssed away on pricy gambles, excessive wages and players with little to no resale value.

Ajax was hit especially hard by the Covid pandemic, losing approx. €40m which is akin to two huge transfers for the Eredivisie.

The current transfer record stands at €31m for Bergwijn who is only 24 years old and will still be able to transfer to a bigger league in 2-3 years time. Ziyech is close to 30 and represents far less resale value in that same time frame.

Ajax looks for two types of player:
- Prospects who can be sold on for profit;
- Seasoned players that are available at a reasonable fee and make up for their high cost by contributing to on-pitch stability and better development of prospects.

Ziyech falls into the latter category, but the price is simply too high to justify from a financial perspective. The league is the limiting factor.

Still think Ajax should sell because no other club will offer this kind of money, it's all due to Ten Hag being determined to get him. It will mean that Ajax will be playing with only one functional wing which is far easier to defend and will lead to results taking a hit as they always do.

€90m is way too much for a player with only one functional foot. The numbers of time he's been free in front of goal well within the box with the ball perfectly placed for his right foot only for him to move it to his left allowing defenders to clear it or block the shot ... so frustrating. Zero confidence in his right. The only thing he uses his right foot for is to prevent himself from falling over.

Surely Ajax have options outside of Ziyech
Not as far as 1-on-1 replacements go. The only reason that Ziyech is interested in coming to Ajax is due to his prior history at the club. That's a very limited recruitment pool.

Antony was bought for €16m with a 20% sell-on over profit. 20% of €74m = €15m

Leaving (on paper only because there are bound to be additional costs) €59m. United could then spend close to 2/3 of that money on buying a 1-on-1 replacement, Ajax can't. No EPL money, no sugar daddy (although at United it's more like Scrooge before the hauntings at this point).

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheimoon
I'm still wondering if ten Hag wants to convert him to a striker. At least until a striker can be identified in a later window?

What? Have you seen his size and play style?

Are you thinking of Gakpo? Cause that one could be converted, but not Antony

This deal will never happen

- 44m
- salary of 20m pre-tax
- 29y old
- minimim contract of 5 years with a fee like that
=> 144m deal with little chance of getting 40m back due to his age
=> highest salary is 5m at Ajax. Will cause conflict in the dressroom

Ajax record deal is Bergwijn for 32m and that was this summer. He is only 24 and earns much much less and could potentially be sold at a significant profit.

No he's a pure winger.

On top of that Henry was one dimensional. He flopped at Barca for a reason. Wouldn't have worked as sole striker in a 4-3-3 either.

Suarez is actually a better comparison as he also used to be a winger at Ajax before he turned into a striker. His last season at Ajax he was turned into a striker. I never thougjt he would be this succesfull as a striker though. I always though he would end up playing as a winger again but he never did. Nevertheless the difference with Antony is that Suarez, also when he played as a winger, was way more focused at going towards the goal. He drifted inside much more and was always looking for opportunities to get a goal. Antony plays much more like a traditional winger, staying out wide. I believe he will develop much more towards a Robben kind of inverted winger, but don't see a striker in him at all. Especially not in a team that wants to domimate.

Suarez scored 111 goals in 159 matches at Ajax , Antony has nowhere near similar output so far in goals or assists,
of course its still early in his career and He looks a good player but he has a lot to prove.

In pounds I'd probably say £70m-100m.

Rooney from Everton and Rio from Leeds equivalents today.

Grealish from Villa and Sancho from Dortmund figures were around that and they were older and more experienced than Rooney was. The best English CBs of recent years were Stones from Everton and Maguire 50-80m.
Then, with no offence intended, you are extremely out of touch with the market. You can’t even get Declan Rice or Harry Kane for your top-end figure, nor a Son.

£100m got City Jack Grealish from the club he was a talisman and hero for. £65m or whatever it is, got Leeds to sell; we are talking about ‘generational’ (forgive me) talent in Rooney and Rio, something far and above the others mentioned; it’s Mbappè and Neymar money you’re getting the former for and the latter, you can easily double the defender world record for.

What? Have you seen his size and play style?

Are you thinking of Gakpo? Cause that one could be converted, but not Antony

No, that's why I asked the Ajax supporter in the thread who gave me an informed response. I honestly know nothing about either player. What is it that makes Gakpo the better option for conversion?

Suarez scored 111 goals in 159 matches at Ajax , Antony has nowhere near similar output so far in goals or assists,
of course its still early in his career and He looks a good player but he has a lot to prove.
Suarez also isn't a winger, and also took penalties and free kicks and was the key player.

Antony isn't as good, mind.

In pounds I'd probably say £70m-100m.

Rooney from Everton and Rio from Leeds equivalents today.

Grealish from Villa and Sancho from Dortmund figures were around that and they were older and more experienced than Rooney was. The best English CBs of recent years were Stones from Everton and Maguire 50-80m.

do you just zone out when you read that Anthony Gordon is going to Chelsea for 60m, a player who couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo

By the way guys, Ajax doesn't want to sell Antony at all. But they know every player has a price. Atletico told us to get lost when we offered 130 million for Felix. It is a different type of business.

Status
Not open for further replies.