Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We should drop this deal. If we can get Depay for €10m, Gakpo for €25-€35m, & possibly Asensio for €40m, that's miles better than €100m for Antony alone, even if he's the best option individually. We need squad depth more.

Yeah let's flood our squad with more sub bar players.

Player desperately wants the move that he's skipping training. There is no way they are getting similar money for Anthony next season. Ajax can easily go for other targets who are young and upcoming with that money.
If he has a good world cup and another good season, they can get a similar amount and have enjoyed his services for another season.

Ajax doesnt need to sell. Only risk is that he will be severely unmotivated.

We should drop this deal. If we can get Depay for €10m, Gakpo for €25-€35m, & possibly Asensio for €40m, that's miles better than €100m for Antony alone, even if he's the best option individually. We need squad depth more.

You just collected a bunch of deadwood with barely improving the squad, and also paid 50m for two players who are worth nothing on the market except their wages.

What do you think is reasonable in the current market?

I think if you sign a player and he fails and is approaching 30 then you would probably be looking at 50 - 60% of the fee you paid.

It is unique as you signed him very cheap but I can see their reservations.

See a few people reasoning this way. I would point out two things. One, the money available for transfers isn't unlimited, so more spent on one player means less to spend on others. Two, FFP means that no matter how much money you have to spend, there's a limit to how much you're allowed to spend. With United now running a financial loss, that may begin to affect us in ways we're not accustomed to.

Bottom line is; if you want to be a successful club, you have to spend smart - especially when you're spending big.
Why? What’s the limit if we make a loss?

No, we need quality, not quantity. I don't know how good is Antony exactly but other three are average. We have/had enough of those

What do you think is reasonable in the current market?
Chelsea can ask whatever they want, but no one is paying that realistically. No top club wants him, only a PL club might be dumb enough.

We can‘t have two players named Anthony, won‘t work. Mike Martial just doesn‘t have a ring to it.

I think if you sign a player and he fails and is approaching 30 then you would probably be looking at 50 - 60% of the fee you paid.

It is unique as you signed him very cheap but I can see their reservations.
44 seems high for sure but as you say, we got him on the cheap.

I recon 25 to 30 million euros seems reasonable, he's absolutely proved he can do it for Ajax so there's no risk whatsover.

Then, with no offence intended, you are extremely out of touch with the market. You can’t even get Declan Rice or Harry Kane for your top-end figure, nor a Son.

£100m got City Jack Grealish from the club he was a talisman and hero for. £65m or whatever it is, got Leeds to sell; we are talking about ‘generational’ (forgive me) talent in Rooney and Rio, something far and above the others mentioned; it’s Mbappè and Neymar money you’re getting the former for and the latter, you can easily double the defender world record for.

But you're making my point for me. A world record for CB is currently what £85m? Even in this day and age of ridiculous spending that's for generational talents.

And you can't compare what Man Utd would pay for a generational talent vs a club like PSG who have a country behind them when buying Mbappe or Neymar.

For a player you signed for 30m quid, who flopped, is now 29, on higher wages, wants to leave and isn’t wanted by his manager? Not a fecking profit. Absolute dreamland.

44 mil does seem high for sure.

We signed him on the cheap because of his contract issues though.

If they're getting 90 million from you for Anthony, they can give us 1/3 of that for Ziyech I reckon.

If he has a good world cup and another good season, they can get a similar amount and have enjoyed his services for another season.

Ajax doesnt need to sell. Only risk is that he will be severely unmotivated.

Still, Ajax are a selling club who buy cheap and sell heavy. You don't risk 100 million euros based on future outcome, especially not in Eredivisie league. Even with great world cup his value will not go too much north of 100m. If he gets injured though, his value tanks. It's very straightforward situation for them to take the deal IMO.

Why? What’s the limit if we make a loss?

Your overall spending needs to be in a certain relation to your income over a period of years. The less you make, the less you can spend.

Bottom line is simple - spend your resources well=have more success. Holds true whether you have a lot of resources or few.

do you just zone out when you read that Anthony Gordon is going to Chelsea for 60m, a player who couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo

Just because Chelsea spunk 60m on a player who has barely had one decent season doesn't mean we have to base our business off that ridiculous deal.

what use is Depay when we need a right winger? he'd be about as useful as hog roast at a bar mitzvah on a good day

I recon 25 to 30 million euros seems reasonable, he's absolutely proved he can do it for Ajax so there's no risk whatsover.

I would question the bit about no risk.

If Alexis went back to Arsenal after being at United I can't say I would have much confidence of him succeeding there. Maybe a dramatic example but I do think confidence plays a bigger part than people think for players and is not something players can always get back by scoring a couple of goals.

Thing is Ziyech wants to leave, Pulisic wants to leave. Im sure a couple others do too. It becomes tedious for Tuchel to keep want away players motivated in his squad.

Its in Chelseas best interest to move Ziyech on too.

44 mil does seem high for sure.

We signed him on the cheap because of his contract issues though.

If they're getting 90 million from you for Anthony, they can give us 1/3 of that for Ziyech I reckon.
They won’t. No way they pay 30m on a 29 year old. He’ll still be there on deadline day and they’ll get him on loan. Nobody is paying that fee.

I never understood this logic.

By way of vested interest, The team is ours, the stadium is ours, the players are ours but the money isnt.
Same. How can someone not think that the more you waste money the less it’s available for other players in other positions ? What the hell is that logic that “it’s not my money” ? It’s not as if your life will get ruined either if you Man Utd get relegated so why do you bother if we lose every match ? You love the club, right ? So how can posters like him not care that it’s not gonna have direct impact on the performance, on the results, on the future of the club.

Just because Chelsea spunk 60m on a player who has barely had one decent season doesn't mean we have to base our business off that ridiculous deal.

we're not basing it on that deal, clearly

but it's just one example of how inflated the market has become

and if you think you could get Rooney for 70 to 100m in todays market you are having a laugh surely

every big club would be begging to give you 150m+ for him

Still, Ajax are a selling club who buy cheap and sell heavy. You don't risk 100 million euros based on future outcome, especially not in Eredivisie league. Even with great world cup his value will not go too much north of 100m. If he gets injured though, his value tanks. It's very straightforward situation for them to take the deal IMO.
You don't get to define what Ajax is or isn't though. Ajax has ambition to be a top 10 club of the world, and they want to win the CL again. They prefer to keep their best players, and preferably for longer than 2 years. This is becoming much more possible after their successes in recent years. The sales of Frenkie and De Ligt etc, have brought Ajax to the point of being able to reject a 100m offer for their player. Exactly where clubs as Benfica and Dortmund are.

All of those players arent that good. It would be a terrible move.
We need squad depth more than we need one star player. How many years do we buy one star but don't do enough to fix the holes all around us though?

If we buy Antony for €100m, are we going to spend for a striker, De Jong, & rb? It's doubtful, so then we'll be repeating our past mistakes imo.

I would question the bit about no risk.

If Alexis went back to Arsenal after being at United I can't say I would have much confidence of him succeeding there. Maybe a dramatic example but I do think confidence plays a bigger part than people think for players and is not something players can always get back by scoring a couple of goals.

We're talking about him going back to the Dutch League. I'd look half decent there. Ziyech, still in his 20's would be fine.

I think both will eventually get done, but it'll go til the deadline IMO. Chelsea will drop their price for ziyech eventually. He's 29, doesn't play, wants out, they want him out, only 1 club in it. They may be playing hardball just to cockblock United, but generally, I think it'll go through eventually. These offers not going through is even more dumb than the offers themselves.

No, we need quality, not quantity. I don't know how good is Antony exactly but other three are average. We have/had enough of those
What if Antony isn't a star player either, then what? All I'm saying is putting all our eggs in one basket isn't an outstanding option either.

What do you reckon he'll be sold for then?
I don’t think he will be sold. I think it’ll be a loan which is what Ajax tried for like all other top clubs have to do to get rid of players who they actively no longer want. He’s 29, on big wages with a 3 year contract. Very few clubs can afford a fee and paying those wages without zero resale value.

Status
Not open for further replies.