Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still wondering if ten Hag wants to convert him to a striker. At least until a striker can be identified in a later window?
For the name of god, why?

Just forget about that idea. It makes as much sense as converting AWB to a striker.

For all those who are saying we are being rinsed. 80m these days only gets you 163.2m Freddo. 10 years ago you have got 421m Freddo bars for the same money.

Just some food for thought.

If asked, you wouldn’t be able to name even 10 with the similar profile and talent of Antony. Even in those ten you would be including the likes of Nicolas pepe and what not

There are thousands of midfielders around the world too. Why sign Casemiro or go after FDJ ? You are smart enough to know the answer.
You misunderstood what I meant. I am saying finding a player among a list of thousands isn't hard at all but the right fit/age/price that the manager wanna work with is different. No is gonna ever convince that the only true left footed right winger available is Antony. It's just that ETH knows him and wants him.
That's fine by me.
Why sign Casemiro and attempt FDJ ? Because there was/is the possibility of doing so and they're great players. Identifying them as the right players isn't hard at all.

For all those who are saying we are being rinsed. 80m these days only gets you 163.2m Freddo. 10 years ago you have got 421m Freddo bars for the same money.

Just some food for thought.

Even if you say its just the market look at it objectively, right after Martinez was bought Ajax wanted 80 million as a feck you price two months later they are happy to pay 95 not including addons. So what happened? Its nothing but poor planning, that 20 million is a new right back.

For the name of god, why?

Just forget about that idea. It makes as much sense as converting AWB to a striker.

You've seen more of him than I have, so you think some kind of Henry conversion would not work with him at all?

How much do you think record transfers of their time, Rooney and Rio, would cost in today’s market exactly?

In pounds I'd probably say £70m-100m.

Rooney from Everton and Rio from Leeds equivalents today.

Grealish from Villa and Sancho from Dortmund figures were around that and they were older and more experienced than Rooney was. The best English CBs of recent years were Stones from Everton and Maguire 50-80m.

What are you on about? We are not doing player to player comparison here by their career, we are talking about their value at the time when club paid certain amount if money by for them, as to compare whether the players are overpriced or not. Are you still in or not? You are not making any sense in your post here.

And why are you keep insisting to compare both players at as same age anyway to justify for their price comparison? Liverpool didn’t buy 22 year old player straight away from Columbia league. Do you even know what you are talking about?

You are such a weirdo.
Why did you put the players ages on the post Roonster09 challenged you on? What factors do you use to determine a players value? Why did compare his stats to Diaz if you are not doing a player to player comparison?

You talk about facts, show me some facts that say Antony is overpriced? All im seeing is our new manager wanting the player at all costs and our club willing to pay a fee that the selling club will accept. Is it a lot of money? Definitely, is he overpriced? Matter of opinion, our manager dosnt seem to think so and our club seem willing to pay it.

I am a weirdo but please, name calling? I understand you being angry, every claim you have made has been called out as wrong, i see your info on Portugal being above the dutch league in the rankings was out of date and called out as wrong aswel by yet another poster, i get that you are having an absolute shocker, but name calling isnt the answer.

It will be different combination all through the season, why do fans like to act like there will be some set line up like rotation and injury isn't a thing.
Injuries of course but one thing I noted about ETH in threads before he took over is that he doesn't rotate much. Imagine there may be a clear distinction between PL and EL sides, but these guys will want to play in the league for certain.

We'll see how he approaches it but I think Pep is a bit of an exception in how he rotates his teams and it's not a given ETH will rotate much.

It will definitely be Martial as our first choice no.9 (as long as he stays fit).

What might be interesting is if we ever see Sancho through the middle. Martial up front, Rashford left, Antony right, and Sancho in Fernandes’ role. I doubt it, but he has the close control in tight spaces, vision, and passing ability to see that role out.

Interesting take but the lack of effort/presence defensively would make it seem a non starter for me - unless hes got Fred and Casemiro behind him

You've seen more of him than I have, so you think some kind of Henry conversion would not work with him at all?

why would we even bother? we need a RW. that is him. Sancho is best on the left.

It is not meaningless. Manager wants right winger with specific traits. He goes to DoF with request, Dof goes to head scout and give orders. Head scout gives orders to his scouts; "give me a list of right wingers with these traits".
That is how things work in most of clubs.

We, as a club, simply have wrong understanding what backing a manager means.
Sure, i am all for giving a manager certain player for who he thinks that is cruical for his style. But, in general, manager should not be the one who gives a list with names to Dof. DoF is the one who should give a list to manager (based on manager's wishes of course) and give manager right to choose from that list.

Having said that; ok, this summer i can understand why we are doing it like this but in future i expect that Dof and manager work as a team. Not DoF being manager's "go and get him, him and him" guy. In a long run, that just is not good.

We do it in FM style. Where a manager, Dof, agent and head scout is the same person.
The structure is a mess I agree.

But I wonder if Liverpool fans are saying “why buy Nunez? Get someone better for less money.” Pretty sure we’d be saying it if we bought him. Don’t think it gets us anywhere.

Like i wrote few days ago its not all about the stats, just look at City and players numbers, only KDB is making it looks proper others are just part of the machine, and they have 5-6 players with close to the double digits in goals and assists. It makes you less predictable and if your star player hits a bad form it does not affect you as much becuase there are other players that can contribute as well.

Most of you are only comparing Antony's stats to other players in other leagues but that is just small part of his game, without shadow of doubt, one of the most important but that is mainly because we have not been a team for as long as i can remember and our general play and goals 99% were due to individual plays rather then some team goals. That is why you are compering those attributes in players, almost all of you want winger who is fast, with good dribbling, great shot and passing, forgetting about all other aspects of a game, because thats how our goals have been scored, individual action or good pass to other player, everything what was before did not matter, very rarely more then 2 players were involved in build up play. I totally get that and if Ole was still our manager and we will attack with 4 players i would want that kind of winger who is making 20 goals and as much assist. But we want to build a team, where players understand each other and have some plan in their head what to do, and as a team we need players who can contribute in attack as well as defence thats why you need some workrate some awareness and being open to learn from and listen our manager.

Antony is working his balls off, he is passionate, and what stats won't show you, he can spot a movement a give a perfect pass to speed up an action in opponents box, something we had problems since forever when other teams play low block and there is not much space, he is provider for player who gets assist or sameone before that.

Rashford goal against CP after vDB assist, Sancho goal agains LFC few days ago. Antony is a guy who gives lots of passes to make that kind of goals happen, he is Sancho passing to Martial against CP and he is Eriksen passing to Elanga against LFC.

If we pay 90 mil euro for him that is 75 mil pounds, all the other players are expensive, Isak 60 the same as potentially Gordon, Gibbs White went for 45, Raphina and Richarlison being older with less then 2 years contract cost 50-60 mil.

All the other alternatives are gonne be minimum 50 so we are paying 25 mil more for a very young, good player, who understand system, knows the manager, manager knows him, has all the attributes that we were missing in a player for a long time. So i do not really see any downside of this deal. If you look at him not as 75 mil player but 15-25 mil more player it does not look that bad, because we need someone and anyone would cost minimum 50. So it is not 75 or zero its 75 or 50-60.

We need to see some improvement on that RW position and if we buy someone for 15 mil or 75 does not matter because whoever flops there we are gonna be in deep shYt regardless. So lets increase our chances for success and buy the best player available because there are not many left footed RW out there who are great team players...

Your argument was Ronaldo would only as much as inflation from 2008 > 2022. Meaning going by that logic, so would Rio and Rooney. So according to you, they'd only be £40m, not what Antony is costing. It's baffling and just plain wrong logic so I hope you're trolling cause I don't know how anyone could be that ... well ... yeah.

Not arguing that but I'm saying Antony isn't worth the money were paying considering his career so far. Nothing really deeper than that despite other factors.

There other right wingers in the world who are better and available for less. One being Chukwueze who in the right team could be special.

In pounds I'd probably say £70m-100m.

Rooney from Everton and Rio from Leeds equivalents today.

Grealish from Villa and Sancho from Dortmund figures were around that and they were older and more experienced than Rooney was. The best English CBs of recent years were Stones from Everton and Maguire 50-80m.
Rooney would be well over £100m in my opinion.

No he's a pure winger.

On top of that Henry was one dimensional. He flopped at Barca for a reason. Wouldn't have worked as sole striker in a 4-3-3 either.

Suarez is actually a better comparison as he also used to be a winger at Ajax before he turned into a striker. His last season at Ajax he was turned into a striker. I never thougjt he would be this succesfull as a striker though. I always though he would end up playing as a winger again but he never did. Nevertheless the difference with Antony is that Suarez, also when he played as a winger, was way more focused at going towards the goal. He drifted inside much more and was always looking for opportunities to get a goal. Antony plays much more like a traditional winger, staying out wide. I believe he will develop much more towards a Robben kind of inverted winger, but don't see a striker in him at all. Especially not in a team that wants to domimate.

What would you rate him as 1-100? On this forum, he is everything from lightening quick to slow. Hard to tell.

I would go for 85. Fast enough for a winger but he won't be out pacing very fast fullbacks. He'll be limited to cutting in alot and passing/crossing in the Premier League I think.

This is a done deal 100%, question is are United going to get Frenkie?

Next summer all United would need then is a new GK and a RB, insane.

Still say a RB can happen in the next 7 days but only if AWB goes on loan somewhere

44m for Ziyech is also a bit of a shocker, to be fair
But that is exactly what paying €90m for Anthony does. Every winger instantly gets €20m more expensive.
If I was Chelsea I would also think that Ziyech is at least have the player Antony is.

Status
Not open for further replies.