Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Richarlison not more of a striker though, with Antony being an out and out winger?
Antony is on avg 3.4 shot per game last season, Richarlison is on 2.4 shot per game. So that’s one way of looking at it.

No point cribbing about the price anymore. Yes, possibly we are overpaying by 30 million euros but it is what it is and looks like he's gonna be our player, so let's get behind the player and hope it takes us place.

Having said that, we will have some pretty cool options at no. 10 and out wide. Along with a coach who knows what he's doing, it should make for very intresting viewing

Im not trying to sound convincing, i want to sign him, its a lot of money, but im not arsed about the price, im not arsed about what Liverpool payed for Diaz, dont care if people have the same opinion or not.

You were posting incorrect stats to back up your opinion, which tells me you are trying to convince people that your opinion is the only correct one.

If age is meaningless here then why make a point of stating there ages in your previous post which Roonster09 called you out on? Not only have you proved to be wrong, or lied, about what the players were doing at certain ages, you are now being contradictory.
Now you are just acting like a complete drama queen here, picking on one minor inconsistency in age comparison (2 yr apart instead of 1 year apart) and keep overemphasising on that to build up your own little shelter to hide away from all other facts going against your claim, and then totally ignoring the rest of all other bigger arguments at the same time. Quite pathetic choice of yours really.

Nope.

80 million pounds adjusted for inflation in 2022 is around 105 million pounds. It is comparable.
You can't assume inflation as barometer. Demand, popularity of the league has increased many bounds. And then there is supply demand gap of talent.

For example, EPL broadcast deal in 2008 was about £500m/year, same today is almost £3b/year world wide.

Having said that I too think this deal is bit expensive but that is not how you measure.

And by the way if the club can afford it then go bonkers.

We need top players that the manager likes, not the cheap, poorer version. So which RW has as much talent as Antony and would move for half the price?
Why do you think Anthony is the only good wide forward in Europe? Not sure about half the price but mousa diaby looks promising and would be available for a significantly lower fee.

Ultimately we should have a competent dof with an understanding of the markets across Europe overseeing our receruitment, with the managers input. As opposed to our manager with just an understanding of the Dutch market making all the decisions

For this amount of money for him, I expect at least 15 goals and 15 assists this season.

It's funny (well not funny, but go with me) that we as fans all like the fact that he's desperate to come to us, and find it really endearing/a positive character trait. (I include myself in this)

But... if he was to do the same thing in 3 years time when Madrid come calling...

Almost like football fans are fickle!

It's funny (well not funny, but go with me) that we as fans all like the fact that he's desperate to come to us, and find it really endearing/a positive character trait. (I include myself in this)

But... if he was to do the same thing in 3 years time when Madrid come calling...

Completely different!
Coming to Manchester can only mean that he is dedicated to football and the club. Madrid would be the city, lifestyle and weather. No two ways about it!

Why do you think Anthony is the only good wide forward in Europe? Not sure about half the price but mousa diaby looks promising and would be available for a significantly lower fee.
There is also the balance issue highlighted by ETH. Pool have Salah, Arsenal have Saka, City have Mahrez or Bernardo etc. same can be said for other top sides. There are times when a left footed inverted forward allows you to bring the same type of threat from both wings. We were only really getting a taste of that when Greenwood imploded.

In that regard, available, left footed attackers (Diaby being one) are not that easy to come by. Dembele would have been more expensive overall.

The price is shocking but we should be more alarmed that we are once again pushing deadline day on the most obvious of signings that could have been completed for less much much earlier.

I think because there seems to be a lot of targets (ahem, FdJ) who don't want to go near us this summer because of the lack of CL and our mess makes the idea that Antony is desperate to come here a more alluring prospect, especially as we dicked around about him all summer. But yeah, not sure it's an endearing character trait. Martinez was desperate to come too but didn't throw his toys out the pram quite like this.

Double edged sword I guess, if he's desperate to play here and cocky enough to go all out to get here then you'd hope that means he will hit the ground running, let's see.

He's going to get us loads of free kicks in wide areas. We've got decent delivery from Eriksen now. Hopefully we can be a threat from set pieces this season.

Why is that not realistic? Maybe about 5 too many, but I'd say we need 25 goals+assists from him
Because he's a young player coming into a new league. He's never even produced those numbers in Holland. If Sancho and Rashford find form, it will be challenging enough for him to get into the team. Don't get me wrong, I think he'll get plenty of minutes, but 15 goals and 15 assists is a bit ridiculous.

He's going to get us loads of free kicks in wide areas. We've got decent delivery from Eriksen now. Hopefully we can be a threat from set pieces this season.

And the chances of scoring from set plays only increases with Harry Maguire not on the pitch!

Is Greenwood still officially number 11 or is that number vacant this season?

Can't we just wait for the club to sign him up, wait for his performances and then debate whether he is a good signing?

Edwin, is that you? We are buying him, no need to raise his stocks anymore.:D

Kidding aside, really? He is rated that high or you are joking?
His stats don't warrant the same kind of status obviously. Based on stats there have been others with better stats However there's more than just stats. His impact and technical abilities is undenyable. Compared to for example Suarez, he's also been here for a shorter time. Suarez played 4.5 years in the Dutch league, Antony only two. I don't see Antony ever reaching the stats of Suarez as he simply is not the same goal threat. Nevertheless I'm pretty sure his stats will improve over the years. His shooting ability, decision making, crossing and other skills provide him with all the requirements to be able to improve on his numbers.

For me he clearly is the best attacker to play in the Dutch league since Suarez. At least in terms of potential / ceiling. His skillset is simply much more complete than players like Depay or Bergwijn for example. Of course not evefy talent reaches its full potential and in the end Antony will need to learn to deal with the higher intensity, physicality and he has to improve his numbers as well. As said, I believe he has the tools to be succesfull and be one of the best wingers in the world in the next 10 years.

Nope.

80 million pounds adjusted for inflation in 2022 is around 105 million pounds. It is comparable.

the football market has inflated at least 100% since 2008

at the very very least I would say

Man City bought David Silva for 30 million in 2010

Anthony Gordon is likely going to cost double that. And Silva was obviously a way more valuable player when city bought him.

if we absolutely rinse Madrid on the price of him (just like Ajax are doing to us) I don’t think many here will complain.
Get 3-4 good years out of him……

Roughly speaking, the same height as Lisandro Martínez; 174cm or so.

83pE5Fz.jpg

Other forwards in that range: Neymar, Salah, Mané, Hazard and Vinícius.

Stick him at CB!

This could be like when we missed out on Ronaldinho and he went to Barcelona after we were linked with him in the media for ages. This time we're pushing through, very likely overpaying for a young Brazilian star with the trademark samba flair and skills. ETH clearly loves him so much that we signed the left back he had most problems against so Anthony wont have to play against him again. And to be honest when signing this type of player usually one of the big problems is the relationship between the manager and the player. A lot of the time they come to the premier league with the skills, but the manager doesnt like them because of work ethic etc. Well ETH knows him and wants us to pay big for him. So that cannot be the problem if we do sign him.

Imagine the Ajax' board seeing that video and then continuing to play hardball.

Stats are always useless without context. If Anthony is drawing 3 defenders over to his wing the whole game which helps the other players score more, that's just as effective as having a tap in.

Of course that won't get recorded in the stats though. Antony is a magnet to defenders, and just as importantly a great ball carrier and progresser.

I'd rather have this than 5 more goals stat padded by penalties.
@Skills you can’t keep having this pointed out to you and not address it and instead carry on with numbers and only numbers mattering.

Status
Not open for further replies.